╌>

Arizona Legislature Passes Bill Requiring Proof of US Citizenship to Vote

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  32 comments

By:   Isabel van Brugen (CauseACTION Clarion)

Arizona Legislature Passes Bill Requiring Proof of US Citizenship to Vote
The Arizona Legislature passed a bill March 23 that would ensure only U.S. citizens with proof of identification are eligible to register to vote in the state. Under House Bill 2492, Arizona voters…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Arizona Legislature passed a bill March 23 that would ensure only U.S. citizens with proof of identification are eligible to register to vote in the state.

Under House Bill 2492, Arizona voters would be required to provide proof of citizenship on voter registration forms.

The state Senate passed the bill March 23 in a 16-12 vote, with 12 Democrats voting against the bill and two others—Democratic Sens. Lela Alston and Juan Mendez—opting not to vote. The state House already passed the bill, which now heads to Republican Gov. Doug Ducey's desk to be signed into state law.

The bill requires that every voter is a citizen of the United States and is able to provide satisfactory evidence as such. The legislation states that the county recorder or other officer in charge of elections must reject any application for registration that is not accompanied by satisfactory evidence of citizenship.

"The Attorney General shall prosecute individuals who are found to not be United States citizens," the bill states, referring to non-citizens who attempt to register to vote.

Democrats say the measure is part of an effort to suppress voting in the battleground state.

Arizona's Secretary of State Katie Hobbs called on Ducey to veto the bill, saying in a Twitter post that it "creates new, unnecessary barriers for people registering to vote."

Testifying March 23 on why House Bill 2492 should become state law, Republican Sen. Warren Petersen, chairman of the state Senate's Judiciary Committee, said it would bolster election integrity.

"The issue is making sure the citizens of our country are voting … and if you're not a citizen of this country, you're not allowed to vote," he said.

Republican Rep. Jake Hoffman, who sponsored the bill, told the Arizona Daily Independent in February 2022 that the bill is to ensure that only U.S. citizens are able to vote in U.S. elections.

"Non-citizens should never be allowed to vote in American elections, yet shockingly nearly 12,000 people voted in the 2020 general election for federal office without any proof of U.S. citizenship," he said.

"Republicans at the Capitol are fighting like hell to protect the integrity of Arizona's elections with bills like HB2492, so that voters can have confidence that every legally cast ballot matters," added Hoffman.

Hoffman also said that the number of people using the federal form without providing proof of citizenship had jumped between 2018 and 2020.

"So clearly this is a trend that is increasing," Hoffman said. "This bill ensures that there is maximum flexibility to provide documentary proof of citizenship, but we don't want foreign interference in our elections."

The Epoch Times has reached out to Ducey's office for comment.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Please note: It was democrats who voted against it.

Thus the open border.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Good for my home state of Arizona! Hopefully other states will come to their senses and follow suit. 

Dulay
Professor Guide
1.2  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Can you, or any of your thumbs up buddies please connect those two sentences in any cogent way?

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    2 years ago

Federal laws already make it highly illegal for any noncitizens to vote in any federal and state elections. There are no zero zip nada states that allow anyone except for citizens to vote except in a very few scattered local elections like school boards and city council seats in areas with predominantly immigrant populations, which obviously made perfect sense to the citizen voters who voted to pass those special accommodations...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @2    2 years ago

"except in a very few scattered local elections like school boards and city council seats in areas with predominantly immigrant populations, which obviously made perfect sense to the citizen voters who voted to pass those special accommodations..."

Still shouldn't be allowed

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    2 years ago

Except that when local, not state and federal, election laws are written and legally passed in and for local and county elections then those laws are the law in those legal jurisdictions. Unless they are unconstitutional. Right?

Dulay
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Dulay  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    2 years ago
Still shouldn't be allowed

The Constitution states otherwise. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Dulay @2.1.2    2 years ago

Where?

Dulay
Professor Guide
2.1.4  Dulay  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.3    2 years ago

The 10th Amendment. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.3    2 years ago

Some on the liberal left do not comprehend state's rights issues. This is one of those.

Dulay
Professor Guide
2.1.6  Dulay  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.5    2 years ago

1st is hardly on the liberal left, and I'm sure he comprehends state's rights issues. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @2.1.4    2 years ago

Usually we don't hear about the 10th Amendment from democrats until they are out of power.

A Constitutional Amendment in 2024 that would give American citizens the same protections other countries.

I assume, based on the comments here that our members on the left are all in favor of non-citizens voting?

Dulay
Professor Guide
2.1.8  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.7    2 years ago
Usually we don't hear about the 10th Amendment from democrats until they are out of power.

I answered 1st's question with a factual answer Vic. Facts aren't partisan and the fact is, the 10th Amendment ensures that states and/or the people have the authority to decide whether non-citizens can vote in local elections. Deal with it. 

A Constitutional Amendment in 2024 that would give American citizens the same protections other countries.

WTF are you babbling about Vic?

I assume, based on the comments here that our members on the left are all in favor of non-citizens voting?

Are you asking me if you assume something Vic? 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.9  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.7    2 years ago

[Deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.10  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.9    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.11  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.7    2 years ago

In small local elections like school boards and such, why not?  Their kids go to school just as much as citizens do.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3  SteevieGee    2 years ago

So...  Exactly what do they consider "satisfactory evidence of citizenship"?  Would a driver's license do it or do you need a passport or birth certificate?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  SteevieGee @3    2 years ago

Yes.

Dulay
Professor Guide
3.2  Dulay  replied to  SteevieGee @3    2 years ago

An AZ driver's license is 'satisfactory'. Ironically, to get a DL in AZ, no documented proof of citizenship is required. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.2.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Dulay @3.2    2 years ago

Wrong - 

Obtaining a Driver License

Obtaining a Driver License

AZDriverLicense-Travel-ID%20%281%29.jpg The Arizona Travel ID is Here

Types of Licenses

MVD offers several   types of licenses .

Where To Go

Testing

You may be given a vision exam. Written and road tests may not be required if you provide a valid driver license from another state.

​Proof of Identification, Age and Authorized Presence

Social Security Number

You are required by A.R.S. §§ 28-3158(D)(5) and 28-3165(F), under the authority of 42 U.S.C. §§ 405(c)(2)(C) and 666(a)(13)(A), to provide your Social Security number. It will be used to verify your identity and to comply with federal and state child-support enforcement laws. It will not be used as your driver license or identification card number.

Identification Requirements

Arizona law requires that you submit proof that your presence in the United States is authorized under federal law.

Requirements may change without notice.

Dulay
Professor Guide
3.2.2  Dulay  replied to  1stwarrior @3.2.1    2 years ago

Gee 1st, I can't be the only one to notice that proof of citizenship isn't cited ANYWHERE in your block quote. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.2.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Dulay @3.2.2    2 years ago

Yeah - I guess - just try to get a DL without that "proof" :-)

Dulay
Professor Guide
3.2.4  Dulay  replied to  1stwarrior @3.2.3    2 years ago

So insisted I was wrong, posted a link that doesn't prove that I am wrong and now you're just going proclaim that I am wrong.  

That's some weak shit right there 1st. 

I checked that AZ DL website before I posted my comment 1st. AZ doesn't require proof of citizenship to get a DL. PERIOD. 

Oh and BTFW, I also read the statute. I doubt that you and yours will be happy about the FACT that all this 'satisfactory evidence of citizenship' is NOT required for voting in Presidential elections. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.5  Split Personality  replied to  1stwarrior @3.2.1    2 years ago

Interesting "argument". 

How do Native Americans without a SSN or passport get a state drivers license?

CDIB?

and of course we all know that SSN cards can't be forged or bought on line./s

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @3.2.5    2 years ago
How do Native Americans without a SSN or passport get a state drivers license?

Apply FOR a SS number or a passport?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.2.7  Ronin2  replied to  Dulay @3.2.2    2 years ago
You are required by A.R.S. §§ 28-3158(D)(5) and 28-3165(F), under the authority of 42 U.S.C. §§ 405(c)(2)(C) and 666(a)(13)(A), to provide your Social Security number.

Do they give out social security numbers to non US citizens? Outside of the state of Kalifornia that is.

Dulay
Professor Guide
3.2.8  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @3.2.7    2 years ago

Yes. 

Oh and BTFW, STATES do not issue SSI #s, the Federal government does. 

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    2 years ago

What if the 8th District of San Bukaka is 82% Polish immigrants over half of whom are noncitizens and so in order to improve their schools and city services the citizen voters of San Bukaka pass an ordinance allowing everyone who lives in the 8th District to vote for their school board and city council reps? Should they be allowed to? Or, not? If not, then why?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @4    2 years ago

No. Because it's against the law.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1    2 years ago

It isn't illegal if laws allowing it are passed.

Some communities have passed laws for local elections that allow noncitizens to vote but only for their own representatives and only in their local elections. What is so wrong with that?

It does not effect you. So, why do you care?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Damn, there goes my opportunity to vote for Pogo to be POTUS.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

What's next?   Since the conservative-weighted SCOTUS that is permitting the USA to return to the dark ages will probably decide on this, next step may be to raise the voting age to 50.