╌>

U.S. commits $300 million in military hardware, weapons to Ukraine

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  35 comments

By:   Dennis Romero and Mosheh Gains

U.S. commits $300 million in military hardware, weapons to Ukraine
The U.S. Defense Department on Friday announced it will fulfill a virtual wish list for Ukrainian forces battling Russia's invasion.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The U.S. Defense Department on Friday announced it will fulfill a virtual wish list for Ukrainian forces battling Russia's invasion.

The promised goods, worth an estimated $300 million in additional assistance to Ukraine, include laser-guided rocket systems; previously announced armed drones as well as Puma and counter-unmanned drones; armored off-road vehicles; ammunition; machine guns; night-vision devices and more, the department said in a statement.

The hardware will boost the U.S. security commitment to Ukraine to a value of more than $2.3 billion since the beginning of President Joe Biden's administration, the Defense Department said.

That figure includes more than $1.6 billion in security assistance since Russia's invasion began Feb. 24. The Biden administration and NATO have been careful about U.S. military support for Ukraine for fear of being seen by Russia as attacking it by proxy and creating an act of war.

The concern was in play as NATO rejected Ukraine's call for air space protection against Russian aircraft, which could involve direct targeting of those vehicles by the U.S. and allies.

The Pentagon draws its authority for the planned purchases and shipments from the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (USAI).

According to the Congressional Research Service, "USAI packages have included training, equipment and advisory efforts to enhance Ukraine's defensive capabilities."

The gear and munitions are procured directly from the defense industry, according to the Defense Department.

The commitment will not include equipment that is drawn down from Defense Department stocks.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

A boon to the American arms manufacturers and dealers.  

623d0806a310fd2bec7e20c5.jpeg

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

The US is stimulating Russian Funeral Businesses...

original

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  shona1  replied to  JBB @1.1    2 years ago

Not a problem..the Russians may as well be useful at doing something even if it is burying their dead...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.1    2 years ago

So Russia isn't using mobile crematoriums in Ukraine as has been reported?

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  shona1  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.2    2 years ago

Morning drinker. They don't have to..the exploding tanks do it all for them..

Guess you could call it a one stop shop..🇺🇦🇺🇦

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.4  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.2    2 years ago

Probably in a pinch when bodies are piling up.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

Don't throw rocks when you live in a glasshouse. 

China’s One Belt, One Road Initiative and Its International Arms Sales

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.3  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

And just think how much more it will be stimulated if/when China invades Taiwan..it will be one in all in...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @1.3    2 years ago

That's not going to happen in my lifetime.

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.3.2  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.1    2 years ago

Morning..Bet you 10 jars of Vegemite it does..

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @1.3.2    2 years ago

I spoke my mind.  I think China is more concerned with maintaining a robust economy for the benefit of its people than it is about Taiwan - the eradication of abject poverty was an example of that.  But you're entitled to your opinion.  Time will tell. 

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.4  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

And Israel would be lost without them...I couldn't care if the arms came from the devil itself..if it supplies the solution to remove the problem, then can't get better than that..

So far we have supplied 160 million to Ukraine and that is not including the bush masters..so it is not just the US supplying arms, aid and $$$..heaps of other countries are to as you are well aware...

And what's with China smuggling guns into the Solomon Islands on a log ship??  I would imagine that should be headlines in China not to mention being totally weird... not stirring up trouble by any chance??

The Chinese are not well liked there hence the recent riots and the people are not happy their government has just done a deal with China to build a naval base on the Island...so can probably expect more riots and the Chinese driven out of their businesses and homes as per previous occassions and flying back to China.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.4.2  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.4.1    2 years ago

Under the terms of the draft agreement, China could send police, military personnel and other armed forces to the Solomon Islands "to assist in maintaining social order" and for a variety of other reasons. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.4.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @1.4.2    2 years ago

Really?  I thought only America did that, so I guess there's nothing wrong with it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.4.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @1.4    2 years ago
"And Israel would be lost without them."

I have seen opinions that Israel is capable of taking care of itself if America were not its "Protector-in-Chief".  But there are damn good reasons why America wants to maintain a very positive relationship with Israel.  Let's not forget that Alexander Haig said that Israel was like having an American aircraft carrier in the Middle East without requiring any personnel on board.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.4.5  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.4.3    2 years ago
Really?  I thought only America did that, so I guess there's nothing wrong with it.

First, your comment and link said no military bases in the Solomon Islands and of course, the above from the agreement says something quite different. The US wasn't part of the comment but if you can post a copy of an agreement between the US military and the host country that has those provisions I'd be happy to read it. 

But we do know that China does support military juntas and genocide. They are currently doing just that in Myanmar (Burma). 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.4.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @1.4.5    2 years ago

The link where I made my comment said this..

"Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare said on Friday the draft agreement does not invite China to establish a military base."

I don't believe everything I read, although obviously there are others here who do.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

It's one of our few successful manufacturing sectors.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     2 years ago

Excellent, the Russian idea of war is to kill as many civilians as possible to break the country's will. They did it in Chechnya, Syria and now Ukraine. Give them cruise missiles to destroy the Russian ships in the Black Sea.

shona1
Professor Quiet
2.1  shona1  replied to  Kavika @2    2 years ago

Ukraine has asked for our bush master troop carriers which we have agreed to send over..

How we are going to do this I am not sure but plane loads will be going..and with our blessings...

Go Ukraine..

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @2.1    2 years ago

Germany has just approved the transfer of 58 Infantry fighting vehicles to Ukraine. 

p4fm8pumnwq81.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=a6969ffbd4c3f11d7436126d538c4d906a66fc22

Dig
Professor Participates
2.1.3  Dig  replied to  Kavika @2.1.2    2 years ago

Old Soviet-era stuff from the former East Germany, though. Or so I heard. Better than nothing I suppose, but still. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  shona1 @2.1    2 years ago

bush master troop carriers

Bushmaster is a firearm manufacturer.  Perhaps you meant our Bradley Fighting Vehicle, some variants are equipped with the M242 Bushmaster chain gun.

Dig
Professor Participates
2.1.5  Dig  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.4    2 years ago

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Kavika   replied to  Dig @2.1.3    2 years ago

From the late 1990s and early 2000s. Yes, they are still good equipment. The tanks that Ukraine is using are older models that have been updated and they are very effective with them, Dig.

Actually the first of this type of armor dates back to the late 1960's with numerous updates over the years.

This fighting vehicle has and is being used in Donbas fighting since 2014.

This is the type of weapon (s) that it has.

73 mm 2A28 Grom low-pressure smoothbore short-recoil semi-automatic gun (40 rounds) with ATGM launcher for 9M14 Malyutka (4 rounds) or other turrets with 2A42 or 2A72 autocannons Secondary armament 7.62 mm PKT coaxial machinegun (2,000 rounds)

shona1
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  shona1  replied to  Dig @2.1.5    2 years ago

Thanks dig..I use my mobile phone and not sure how to up load links...

Dig
Professor Participates
2.1.8  Dig  replied to  Kavika @2.1.6    2 years ago
From the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Really? That's odd. Why would East Germany still have been getting those after Reunification? Or are they not coming from the old East German inventory like I thought?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Kavika   replied to  Dig @2.1.8    2 years ago

Germany received them when East Germany collapsed. They were refurbished and sold to Sweden in the late 1990s. They in turn years later sold them to the Czech republic. The Ukrainians tried to buy them in 2019 but since there was a clause in there that Germany had to ok the sale the Germans wouldn't do it in 2019. The invasion of Ukraine shocked the Germans back to reality and they have ok'd their movement of them to Ukraine. The Swedes upgraded them as well.

Dig, if it's a good weapon it can be upgraded over the years and still be a good weapon. Remember one of the deadliest tank killers in the world A-10 Warthog went into service in 1977 and it still used today. The RPG was first used in the late 50s or early 60s and it is still used today and is also a very deadly weapon.

Dig
Professor Participates
2.1.10  Dig  replied to  Kavika @2.1.9    2 years ago

If they've been taken care of and updated, then great.

We should include those planes from Poland in the transfer as well. Probably won't happen, though.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Kavika   replied to  Dig @2.1.10    2 years ago

Here is a great video on all the upgrades they have received. They are first class fighting vehicle.

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    2 years ago

original

Dig
Professor Participates
4  Dig    2 years ago
... laser-guided rocket systems; previously announced armed drones as well as Puma and counter-unmanned drones; armored off-road vehicles; ammunition; machine guns; night-vision devices and more ...

With Russia not being able to establish a dominant presence in western Ukraine, and even pulling out of the Kyiv area, there shouldn't be any supply route problems in the near future. Let's get that stuff in there! They also need anti-ship missiles and some high altitude air defense.

I still think an international coalition should just get in there on the ground and put a stop to this evil. It should have happened right at the start. Think of the lives that could have been saved, not to mention all the civilian infrastructure that is now in ruins.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  Kavika   replied to  Dig @4    2 years ago
They also need anti-ship missiles and some high altitude air defense.

Yes and yes. The Russian ships sitting out in the Black Sea are lobbing cruise type missiles into Ukraine.

Actually if it's one of these systems it can be used against ships. 

AGM-123 Skipper II was designed for attacking ships with a 1,000 war head.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

Thanks, I didn't realize such international diversity among the participants, very interesting.