╌>

Queen Barbie Dolls being sold for £1,000 online amid Platinum Jubilee souvenir scramble

Category:  World News

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  2 years ago  •  16 comments

By:   By Michael Howie

Queen Barbie Dolls being sold for £1,000 online amid Platinum Jubilee souvenir scramble

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Collectors lucky enough to get their hands on the £95 doll are scrambling to cash in with dozens of adverts popping up on Ebay

barbie-queen-face-ht-ps-220420_1650489073883_hpEmbed_1x1_992.jpg

The Queen Elizabeth II Barbie doll has been released to commemorate the historic Platinum Jubilee / PA

Queen Barbie dolls are being flogged for up to £1,000 online after the toy released to commemorate the historic Platinum Jubilee sold out from stores within seconds.

Collectors lucky enough to get their hands on the doll are scrambling to cash in with dozens of adverts popping up on Ebay in recent days.

Most are offering one of Mattel ’s special platinum jubilee dolls for around £200, but some adverts have appeared with price tags in excess of £700 with one cheeky seller pitching one with a “buy it now” price of £1,000.

That is more than ten times the original retail price of £95.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

This reminds me of a time when some similar special limited edition doll came out when my daughter was a little girl and I had to run from store to store to finally find one, because if I didn't get her that special doll.....God forbid. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

£1,000 is equal to about US$1,226 today.  Anyone interested?  LOL

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Well, I guess Americans don't give a shit about British monarchs ever since the War of Independence.  LOL

My personal feelings about Queen Elizabeth II have always been very positive, after all she is the Head of State for Canada and I grew up singing "God Save the Queen" at school, but if Charles, with his horse-faced bitch, both of whom helped kill the beautiful Princess Diana, doesn't immediately abdicate in favour of his son William when Lizzie dies I'll vote for Canada to become a republic free of the monarchy and tear up my Queen's Counsel certificate.

shona1
PhD Quiet
3.1  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    2 years ago

Morning Buzz...yep same here...once the Queen carks it (dies) I will be voting for a Republic..as I think most of Australia will this time...

I admire her immensely the work she has done in her life time is astounding and she has kept her promise..to serve.

Bloody Charles and Camilla make my skin crawl, if William and Kate took over then not a problem...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    2 years ago

I think objectively this is a fairly interesting human interest story, it's just not a good fit for a site like Newstalkers. People here are too cynical. 

And Buzz, I know it disappoints you, but I have never seen any evidence that many Americans care all that much about Canada. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @4    2 years ago

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a suitable social news site that is less interested in and less dedicated to American hegemony, political conflict and gun violence - even the Creative Arts have to be politicized here. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.2  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @4    2 years ago

John - unfortunately, you have spent a number of times ridiculing NT lately - the site - the news - the commenters - the moderators.

Seriously, I think you need to re-evaluate where you want to head on this site.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior @4.2    2 years ago

You have been, for years, trying to rag on me. You should have been suspended many times for that. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  1stwarrior @4.2    2 years ago

Message to both 1stwarrior AND JohnRussell

Do me a favour and take it to Heated Discussion.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.1    2 years ago

[Deleted]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.2.4  1stwarrior  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.2    2 years ago

We have - a number of times - but he's fun and I still like him as a person:-)

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
5  MonsterMash    2 years ago

Long live the Queen, keep Prince Chump off the throne.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MonsterMash @5    2 years ago

Take note that citizens of two different Commonwealth of Nations member nations have voted up your comment.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6  pat wilson    2 years ago

This is so bizarre.

The face might look like QE if she were 55 with lots of Botox. 

If they wanted it to resemble QE they would have given her a thicker, shorter neck and a shorter, stockier body. But hey ! It's QE Barbie !   $ $ $

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @6    2 years ago

Well, it does sort of resemble her when she was a lot younger, although the white hair on the doll does kind of age her, doesn't it. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7  Paula Bartholomew    2 years ago

It is a beautiful doll, but hardly a Barbie.  It is simply a commemorative doll put out the the company who produces the Barbie dolls.  I doubt the Queen would be amused to be referenced as a Barbie Doll.