╌>

White House says a second consecutive quarter of negative GDP 'unlikely' to be indicative of recession

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  241 comments

By:   Adam Sabes (Fox Business)

White House says a second consecutive quarter of negative GDP 'unlikely' to be indicative of recession
The White House said that even if the GDP estimate is negative for a second straight month, it's "unlikely" that the country is in a recession.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The White House Council of Economic Advisers said on July 21 that even if Friday's advance estimate of the country's GDP is negative, it's still "unlikely" to be indicative that the country is in a recession.

Recessions refer to two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth.

In a blog post, the council of economic advisers says that two consecutive quarters of falling GDP doesn't mean the country is in a recession.

"What is a recession? While some maintain that two consecutive quarters of falling real GDP constitute a recession, that is neither the official definition nor the way economists evaluate the state of the business cycle," the blog post states.

President Joe Biden speaks about the economy and the final rule implementing the American Rescue Plan Special Financial Assistance program, protecting multiemployer pension plans, at Max S. Hayes High School in Cleveland, Ohio, July 6, 2022. ((Photo by SAUL LOEB/AFP via Getty Images) / Getty Images)

Citing figures from the National Bureau of Economic Research, the post states that their "recession indicator variables" have "exhibited strong growth in the U.S. economy since the start of the pandemic, and have continued to expand through the first half of this year."

Even if the Bureau of Economic Analysis' advance estimate of the second quarter GDP shows a negative number, the blog post says the country is likely not in a recession.

"Based on these data, it is unlikely that the decline in GDP in the first quarter of this year — even if followed by another GDP decline in the second quarter — indicates a recession," the post states.

Meanwhile, inflation surged to a new 40-year high in June, reaching 9.1%.

On NBC News' "Meet the Press," Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said the economy is not in a recession but rather one that's in a "period of transition" where "growth is slowing."

Janet-Yellen.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen testifies before the House Ways and Means Committee on Capitol Hill, June 8, 2022. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana, File / AP Newsroom)

"The labor market is now extremely strong," Yellen said. "This is not an economy that's in recession, but we're in a period of transition in which growth is slowing. And that's necessary and appropriate, and we need to be growing at a steady and sustainable pace. So, there is a slowdown, and businesses can see that and that's appropriate, given that people now have jobs, and we have a strong labor market."

Republican National Committee spokesperson Will O'Grady told FOX Business that "redefining" what a recession is won't fix some of the legislative actions that Democrats have taken.

"Joe Biden turned a recovery into a likely recession. Redefining the word will not fix the fact that Democrats wasted $1.9 trillion, resulting in skyrocketing costs for Americans. This further underscores how out of touch Biden and Democrats are with the pain families are feeling," O'Grady said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Basic Economics: Two consecutive months of negative growth = a Recession.

Biden's handlers are trying to get out ahead of the coming second quarter report.

Why do they think the people are so stupid as to be gaslighted about the economy?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago
Basic Economics: Two consecutive months of negative growth = a Recession.

For the past month the Administration has been stating that this is really just a rule of thumb and the official designation can only be made by National Bureau of Economic Research.  Problem is this bureau doesn't make it's reports for at least another 18 months so we may not get the official determination until after the recession has ended.  Nothing quite like a politician finding a way out of bad news, is there...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @1.1    2 years ago

Biden will continue to tell us inflation is only temporary and that America is doing just grand. And when the numbers don't back the lies up, he will simply attempt to redefine anything that goes against his preferred narrative.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Wrongo! A recession is two consecutive quarters of negative growth!

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.2.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @1.2    2 years ago

They are about to announce the second quarter of negative growth. By your definition we will officially be in a recession. 

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2.2  squiggy  replied to  JBB @1.2    2 years ago

Yes, and the context shows it to be a typo.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @1.2    2 years ago

Right Quarters.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago
Why do they think the people are so stupid as to be gaslighted about the economy?

Because Bidenites are gullible and distracted easily.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

And down .9% it is............................

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.5  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Because far too many people are easily duped.   Politicians and marketing/advertising firms would be in trouble if they could not so easily manipulate perception.

Note:  JBB's correction @1.2

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.5.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @1.5    2 years ago

You can't fool people who are paying $2,000 more a year for gasoline and $3,400 more a year for necessities.

Follow your facts right to the November election.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.5.2  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.5.1    2 years ago
You can't fool people who are paying $2,000 more a year for gasoline and $3,400 more a year for necessities.

You are deflecting.   Of course people will understand inflation because they see the prices in front of their faces.   That is NOT AT ALL what I was talking about (and neither were you).    People are easily duped as to the reasons for what they see, not what they actually see.   So everyone of course knows that prices are ridiculous right now.   However the duping comes with the explanations for why this is the case.

In short, few people have a good grasp on economics;  and this is not surprising since a socio-economic/political system such as ours is very complex.  

Now as for your November comment, well of course the Ds will take a hit due to inflation.   That is people reacting to what they currently see and feel regardless of explanation.   This is why "it's the economy, stupid" in politics.   It is not due to the precise nature of economic dynamics or long term consequences but rather the immediate effect on the individual:  availability of desirable good paying jobs, prices, availability of products and services.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.5.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @1.5.2    2 years ago
 However the duping comes with the explanations for why this is the case.

And you intend to do some duping?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.5.4  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.5.3    2 years ago

What are you talking about now Vic?

Seems to me you have ignored my thoughtful comment and directly turned this personal.    Surely you would not do that.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.5.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @1.5.4    2 years ago

That would be your MO. 

Are you out of descriptions today? 

Have a good one.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.5.6  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.5.5    2 years ago

One comment in disagreement and you leap to making it personal.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    2 years ago

Exactly how many ways will the Biden Admin. spin the economy?

Democrats would be well-advised to address some of the issues of the economy rather than pretending all is well.

I know the January 6 commission is willing to drag the 'hearings' out until the midterms (or longer), but do Democrats not realize that people tend to vote based largely on their own finances?

How out of touch is the Democratic Party with real voters?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Just redefine problems away.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4  Nerm_L    2 years ago

Well, lookie, lookie, a full employment recession.  The labor participation rate is recovering.  Wages are up.  Consumer demand remains high (consumers don't seem to be paying attention to the Federal Reserve)

It appears that GDP growth, vaunted by financial wizards, has been completely dependent upon government spending.  And the government isn't giving the financial sector free money right now.  The cost of deficit spending has gone through the roof.

It's beginning to look like any recession is going to be contained within the financial sector.  And the government won't be able to bail out the financial sector with phony growth fueled by free public money.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Nerm_L @4    2 years ago

nerm , and what numbers do voters actually look at from day to day ? it isnt what you have pointed out .

They look at their day to day cost of living and everything that entails , and how does that picture look ?

they look at what they are bringing in as pay , vs what they are paying out , that will be the biggest factor this mid term election .

some democrat startagist said years ago ,"It's the economy stupid " and the economy to most voters entails exactly what i said , not the government numbers .

this may very well be a "vote with my wallet " election . Someone said that Biden isnt on the ballot , that is true , but his actions and policies are if it affects voters wallets .

food for thought .

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JBB  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1    2 years ago

I never heard of a recession with full employment before.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Nerm_L  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1    2 years ago
nerm , and what numbers do voters actually look at from day to day ? it isn't what you have pointed out .

There isn't any doubt that kitchen table economics concerning prices and employment are important.  But voters have been trained to compare kitchen table perception of the economy to health of the overall economy measured by GDP.  When kitchen table economics and GDP growth are both bad then the overall economy really, really sucks.

Biden dumped 8 pct of GDP into the economy with his $1.9 trillion COVID relief pander.  The Federal government has been pumping money into the economy to directly address the COVID pandemic, too.  Altogether the Federal government has pumped about 10 pct of GDP into the economy.  As a result GDP growth looked fantastic but it was phony growth.  Since the cost of deficits have increased dramatically the government cannot afford to soften the withdrawal of government money and wind down that phony growth.  

So, yes, the United States is going to experience a recession.  But it's going to be a full employment recession.  The real economy might experience a weak recession but it's quite possible that the real economy won't experience a recession at all.  The financial sector may be forced to absorb all the deflationary pressure of a recession.  And that's going to drive inflation higher because the financial sector won't take a haircut.

IMO inflation is being driven by the financial sector trying to maintain growth without free money from the government.  Consumers pay for everything -- including phony GDP growth.

squiggy
Junior Silent
4.1.3  squiggy  replied to  JBB @4.1.1    2 years ago

You've never paid $5 a gallon for gas before.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @4.1.1    2 years ago

How cute.  You're buying into the propaganda.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  squiggy @4.1.3    2 years ago
You've never paid $5 a gallon for gas before.

Haven't paid it now, but have paid over $4/gallon previously.  Several times.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.1.6  Nerm_L  replied to  JBB @4.1.1    2 years ago

Recession of 1945.  At the end of the war, government spending dried up very quickly (causing a sharp decline in GDP by 11 pct) but unemployment didn't increase.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
4.1.7  Freewill  replied to  JBB @4.1.1    2 years ago

Good info on the BLS definition of "full employment" HERE :

BLS defines full employment as an economy in which the unemployment rate equals the nonaccelerating inflation rate of unemployment (NAIRU), no cyclical unemployment exists, and GDP is at its potential. The full-employment assumption links BLS projections to an economy running at full capacity and utilizing all of its resources.

If the GDP is trending negative, especially for two quarters, good chance that is a sign that the economy is not running at full capacity nor utilizing all its resources.  So technically not "full employment", particularly when the "unemployment rate" does not include those who are no longer looking for work, even if able.  Extended unemployment benefits and other policies that pay people not to work can severely skew the unemployment figures while the ranks of the actual unemployed continue to grow. This is certainly evident in California where the homeless population has exploded in recent years.

The article also discusses the impacts of inflation on unemployment rates and the definition of "full employment".

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2  Sparty On  replied to  Nerm_L @4    2 years ago

I’m still trying to figure out with “historically low” unemployment, how so many businesses are still looking for employees.     It’s across the board in most all business sectors.

Did we suddenly add a bunch of new “post COVID” jobs?

Nope.     I predict it will come to light that unemployment numbers are being cooked post COVID.    Stay tuned ......

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @4.2    2 years ago
I’m still trying to figure out with “historically low” unemployment, how so many businesses are still looking for employees.     It’s across the board in most all business sectors.

I have the same question.   My hypothesis is that COVID-19 (and the related measures) encouraged a bunch of baby boomers to retire.    I do not see anything else that would cause such a surplus of jobs.   And I do not see how people could simply quit working and survive.   Certainly the youngest workers could move back home, etc.  and that would have an effect, but the baby boomer retirement hypothesis strikes me as the most likely culprit.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.2.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  TᵢG @4.2.1    2 years ago
Certainly the youngest workers could move back home, etc.

FUCK THAT and the fuck they are .... when my youngest moved out after the divorce all the locks got changed .....

as for the rest of it , i seriously considered fully retiring when i turned 60 a couple months ago, i have been semi retired since i was 48 and simply cruising taking jobs I wanted and even then what i earned staying busy , i used to fund my fun time since everything else is covered .

So i think that hypothesis is likely correct , those that could decided they had enough .

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.2.2    2 years ago

LOL

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.1    2 years ago

Well, around here we have a plethora of entry level jobs that are going unfilled.    Restaurants are closing because of it, many others are cutting hours because of it.   Same for entry level construction jobs and the list goes on.

Doubtful many Boomers, old enough to retire, were filling those entry level jobs.    I think there is more at play here.    As in how the unemployed are counted versus in the past.

Can’t really explain it other than that.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.4    2 years ago
Doubtful many Boomers, old enough to retire, were filling those entry level jobs.

Clearly not.   My assumption is that they held jobs that one would expect from a long career.

The boomers left jobs that needed to be filled.   Those filling the jobs left jobs that needed to be filled. 

This works its way down to the entry level jobs.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.6  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.5    2 years ago

Hard to believe entry level workers are suddenly filling those jobs being left by boomers that had decades of experience.    I just don’t see it.    I have no doubt boomers are retiring, perhaps in larger number than anticipated but I don’t see it as the main cause here.

More like the unemployment numbers aren’t counting workers who stopped looking for work.   

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.7  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.6    2 years ago
Hard to believe entry level workers are suddenly filling those jobs being left by boomers that had decades of experience

Yes that would be hard to believe.    Did someone suggest that the career jobs of senior workers (baby boomers) would be filled by the workers from the entry positions?

I certainly made no such suggestion.

I suggested this:

• The boomers left jobs that needed to be filled.  
  • Those filling the jobs left jobs that needed to be filled. 
  • This works its way down to the entry level jobs.

This is a recursive process where the vacated jobs are filled by the next level of workers whose jobs are then filled by the next level of workers ... all the way down to the entry level where we experience much of the vacancies.

More like the unemployment numbers aren’t counting workers who stopped looking for work.   

I think that is part of it.   I also think that many of the youngest workers might be relying on their parents.   But what I suggested is what I think is the more dominant factor.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.8  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.7    2 years ago

Perhaps but something is still funky about the low unemployment numbers with so many job openings out there.    It isn’t just entry level jobs.  

I personally know cops with years of service that left their jobs to work in the fast food industry.    Certainly more than one  reason for that switch but the big one is they could make more money with the increase fast food had to make in wage to attract bodies.    Especially with inflation chipping away at nearly everything.    People need the money.

Thats just one circumstance.    In the construction industry apprentices are in short supply, our public schools are advertising for teachers where there used to be a long waiting list to get in.    Banks around here are cutting hours because they can’t staff their teller stations.    Recruiting numbers for all the branches are down.   Etc, etc.

I’ve been through several recessions/downturns as bad or worse than this.    Unemployment numbers almost always went up.

Something just doesn’t track.    Even considering your reasoning.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.9  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.8    2 years ago
Perhaps but something is still funky about the low unemployment numbers with so many job openings out there.

Of course.   This is a very unusual phenomenon we are witnessing.  I have offered my hypothesis but I am not suggesting that this is a complete or even definitive explanation.   It is what I have deduced after pondering this phenomenon.

It isn’t just entry level jobs. 

My hypothesis does not include the assumption that all jobs on the higher levels are filled from lower levels.   It makes sense that filling the holes left by boomers would enable people to rise in the ranks (get better jobs) and that would certainly leave entry level holes.   But that does not mean we would be able to fill all the holes left throughout the hierarchy.   One would expect holes throughout.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
4.2.10  Freewill  replied to  Sparty On @4.2    2 years ago
Nope.     I predict it will come to light that unemployment numbers are being cooked post COVID.    Stay tuned ......

That thought crossed my mind too, but the methods for calculating unemployment have not substantially changed in quite some time.  There is the "official" unemployment rate (U-3) that does not take into account those not looking for work prior to the last 4 weeks for various reasons, nor the underemployed.  In those categories is where I thought there might be some funny business in masking the full picture, what with extended Fed and State unemployment benefits and people simply not wanting to work, or discouraged from looking/working, so they aren't looking to work recently, and yet are not counted as "unemployed".  The U-6 measure of unemployment, sometimes referred to by economists as "real unemployment", is defined by the BLS as " total unemployed, plus all marginally attached workers, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all marginally attached workers".  It covers a much wider definition of able bodied workers and their level of participation in the workforce.  That number is typically much higher than the U-3 official number, some places almost twice as high.  See BLS article HERE .  

Definitions for the economic characteristics underlying the three broader measures of labor underutilization are worth mentioning here. Discouraged workers (U-4, U-5, and U-6 measures) are persons who are not in the labor force, want and are available for work, and had looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months. They are not counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the prior 4 weeks, for the specific reason that they believed no jobs were available for them. The marginally attached (U-5 and U-6 measures) are a group that includes discouraged workers. The criteria for the marginally attached are the same as for discouraged workers, with the exception that any reason could have been cited for the lack of job search in the prior 4 weeks. Persons employed part time for economic reasons (U-6 measure) are those working less than 35 hours per week who want to work full time, are available to do so, and gave an economic reason (their hours had been cut back or they were unable to find a full-time job) for working part time. These individuals are sometimes referred to as involuntary part-time workers.

I rather expected to discover a widening of the gap between the U-3 and U-6 numbers as evidence of a certain amount of "cooking", but I have not been able to prove that the gap has appreciably widened.  HERE is an interesting graph that tracks the U-6 vs. the U-3 over time.  So other than that, I am not sure how the numbers might be "cooked".

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.11  Sparty On  replied to  Freewill @4.2.10    2 years ago

Hopefully time will tell.  

I can’t past reality ..... what the unemployment numbers supposedly say.     Job openings everywhere, record inflation and yet record low unemployment numbers.

It just doesn’t track.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.2.12  pat wilson  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.11    2 years ago

Wouldn't a surplus of job openings naturally result in low unemployment numbers ? Maybe I'm missing something.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.13  Sparty On  replied to  pat wilson @4.2.12    2 years ago

In a booming economy, yes.    We are hardly booming right now.    Just the opposite for the most part.   

Jobs that existed before COVID-19 aren’t being filled.   Many have simply disappeared.    We aren’t talking unfilled new jobs here from what I’m seeing.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.14  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.13    2 years ago

It does not matter if the unfilled jobs are old jobs or new jobs.   They are still unfilled which means that there exists capacity for unemployed workers to find jobs.    That is, the jobs exist and thus unemployment should reduce as people fill those jobs.

Jobs that existed before COVID-19 aren’t being filled.

The question is why?    Are companies not hiring due to lack of market demand for products and services?  If so, those jobs are not active jobs and should not be considered as jobs.    Are they hiring but unable to fill the (active) jobs?    I think there is something to this latter question.   It sure seems as though many who normally would be working (in their prime working years) are not;  that they are not trying to have jobs.   How they survive is an interesting question and I am not satisfied they can survive simply living off of the public trough.   Living with parents?    Part-time and sharing cheap housing?   ??? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.15  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.14    2 years ago
It does not matter if the unfilled jobs are old jobs or new jobs.

It does matter.    Newly created job create new capacity for job seekers.    Old jobs were already there.    The more new jobs created, the more employees required to fill them.

I haven’t looked nationwide but around here there aren’t a lot of new jobs being created and in fact total jobs available, filled or otherwise, has likely contracted with all the businesses that had to close due to covid.   Old (already existing) jobs aren’t being filled.

Again, it just doesn’t track.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.16  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.14    2 years ago

Part of the unemployment issue, is as you say, retirements at the beginning of COVID. Then post shut down there was a demand frenzy - a major reason for the inflation. That in turn required more hiring and wage increases. The is also a rise in gig economy workers who once worked in the service industry (lowest paid jobs with the worst working conditions). And a smaller rise in people opening their own businesses where they are the only worker OR have very small staff numbers.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.17  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.15    2 years ago
It does matter.    Newly created job create new capacity for job seekers.    Old jobs were already there.

No, it does not.   An old unfilled (but active as I described earlier) job is identical to a new unfilled job in terms of potential jobs to be filled.    10 old (but active) unfilled jobs is a capacity of 10.   10 newly created jobs is a capacity of 10.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.18  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.17    2 years ago

Can’t explain it any better tig.    We disagree and I really don’t feel like getting into another one of your argumentative “debates.”

As usual I stand by everything I posted here.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.19  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.18    2 years ago

I explained it @4.2.17 and I fully understood what you wrote.   I just disagree and explained why.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.20  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.19    2 years ago

Yes we agree … that we disagree.   My body of work above more than explains my counter position.

No more debate required

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.2.21  mocowgirl  replied to  evilone @4.2.16    2 years ago
The is also a rise in gig economy workers who once worked in the service industry (lowest paid jobs with the worst working conditions).

I've been reading that as well.  I wish that there had been those opportunities available when I was younger.

As long as the gig economy pays well, the workers have some flexibility about working part-time and setting their own hours.  

The companies that can and will offer jobs with good pay and a work/life balance will have fewer job vacancies than those that don't.

Many people are probably making more money working part-time in the gig economy than they did working full-time in the service industry.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.22  Sparty On  replied to  mocowgirl @4.2.21    2 years ago

We’ll, if they aren’t making at least 10% more right now in the US they are still falling behind.    Theoretically that is.        

Actually it’s much worse than that.    Gasoline is over double what it was.   Most food is over 10% of what was.   Etc,etc.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.2.23  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.14    2 years ago
It sure seems as though many who normally would be working (in their prime working years) are not;  that they are not trying to have jobs. 

I have read several news releases about this issue that has been ongoing for years.

Why America Should Be Concerned About Its Young Men - The Atlantic

Since 2000, the labor-force participation rate of young men without a college degree has  declined more than any other age-and-gender group . Since the turn of the century, the participation rate of 16-to-24-year olds with just a high-school degree has fallen 10 points to about 70 percent; for those without even a high-school degree, it's fallen 20 points, to 30 percent. Some of this drop is attributable to rising college attendance. But not all of it. Nine percent of Americans between 20 and 24 are neither in school, work, or training.

So where do these men live? What are they doing all day?

The answer to the first question seems to be that more of them are living at home. For the first time since at least the 1940s, young men are   more likely to be living with their parents than with romantic partners . In 2014,   35 percent   of young men between 18 and 34 lived with their parents, compared to just 28 percent who lived with a spouse. It's not the cost of college or the weight of student loans alone that is forcing young people to stay home. Young adults without a high-school or college degree are far more likely to live with their parents. For young black men, this trend is hardly new; even in 1980, they were more likely to live with their parents than with a spouse or girlfriend.

As for what they’re doing all day, Erik Hurst, an economist at the University of Chicago, is now conducting research that suggests that non-college men who aren’t in the labor market are spending a considerable amount of their time in front of screens. Here is how Hurst explained his preliminary findings in a   “Faculty Spotlight” profile on the University of Chicago’s website,   as noted by the economist Tyler Cowen   on his blog :

In the 2000s, employment rates for young men with less than a four-year degree dropped sharply – more than in any other group. We have determined that, in general, they are not going back to school or switching careers, so what are they doing with their time?   The hours that they are not working have been replaced almost one for one with leisure time. Seventy-five percent of this new leisure time falls into one category: video games . [Emphasis mine]

Detached from the labor force, with neither a college degree nor a steady job, these men have little income. But the technological revolution in media and entertainment of the last few decades has made it cheaper than ever to divert oneself on a phone, computer, television, or video-game console. Leisure is cheap enough that it apparently doesn’t require a steady W-2 or 1099 to have fun.

And they are having fun, Hurst emphasized. “Happiness surveys actually indicate that they [are] quite content compared to their peers,” he   told UChicago . In the short run, not working doesn’t seem to make men miserable at all.

Cheap and abundant entertainment anesthetizes less-skilled and less-educated young men in the present. But in the long run, it cuts them off from the same things that provide meaning in middle age, according to   psychological and longitudinal studies   —a career, a family, and a sense of accomplishment. The problem is that these 20-year-olds will eventually be 30-year-olds and 40-year-olds, and although young men who don’t go to college might appear happy now, those same satisfaction studies suggest that they will be much less happy in their 30s and 40s—less likely to get married, and more likely to be in poverty.

There is a rising generation of less-educated men, cut off from steady employment, but, for the moment, diverted by entertainment. They are, as far as Hurst can tell, not miserable now; and yet, there is little precedent for a large and highly satisfied group of non-married, middle-aged men living in poverty in an advanced economy. “This problem, if that is the right word for it, will not be easily solved," Cowen   wrote on his blog .

If these men back a political movement, it probably won’t look much like today’s Trumpist’s coalition. After all, Trump’s support skews heavily white, and many of today’s young men who didn’t graduate high school are black and Hispanic. But one possible lesson of this election is that feelings of cultural isolation and economic despondency are ingredients in a noxious and unpredictable compound, which can combust in surprising ways. Another mix may be brewing.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.2.24  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.14    2 years ago
 How they survive is an interesting question and I am not satisfied they can survive simply living off of the public trough.   Living with parents?    Part-time and sharing cheap housing?   ??? 

more info from Oct 2019

The U.S. economy's hidden problem: Men without jobs - CBS News

America's job market may be the strongest it's been in at least half a century, but not all workers are getting a lift. The proportion of men in their prime working years without a job is higher today than it was before the Great Recession, according to a new  study

Roughly 1 in 7 U.S. men between the ages of 25 and 54 aren't employed, federal labor data show. That's a higher rate of unemployment for the group than in 2007, the year before the housing crash slammed the economy.

Many of these men don't show up in the U.S. Labor Department's monthly unemployment statistics because they've given up looking for work. Some are on disability, but researchers at the IZA Institute of Labor Economics say that doesn't fully account for the problem. They note that the disability rolls have declined by 7% since the late 1960s, when only about 6% of prime-age men were out of the workforce.

Instead, the surge in unemployed males has come at a time when working-class men have less bargaining power and the work available to them increasingly consists of "low-quality unstable jobs with few if any benefits," the researchers state. 

"Despite its reputation for having flexible labor markets, the U.S. has one of the lowest prime-age male labor participation rates in the [Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development], and one that has been on a downward trend since 1999," the researchers noted. 

The OECD represents 36 countries with more developed economies, ranging from European nations such as the U.K. and Germany to Australia and New Zealand.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.2.25  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.14    2 years ago
that they are not trying to have jobs. 

Not surprising, a good fallback position might be to blame some men's lack of motivation/achievement on their most popular scapegoat - women.

From 2016.

Young Men Are Facing a Masculinity Crisis | Time

W e are at a historic moment in gender relations. The women’s movement can move ahead with the active support, involvement and encouragement of men, or fall behind as men—especially young men—take up arms behind the quiet, but active, angry men’s movement. This conflict is playing out in politics right now.

Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders are tapping into what I’m calling a “Lean Out” generation of young, discouraged and angry men—men who are feeling abandoned by the thousands of years of history that defined what it meant to be a real man: to be strong; to be a provider; to be in authority; to be the ultimate decision maker; and to be economically, educationally, physically and politically dominant. A growing percentage of young men are being   out-earned   by young women, as women   capture   60% of the higher education degrees required for success in today’s economy.

We have the window right now to redefine what a good man—a “real man”—is in the 21st century. As a society, we need to elevate the standards to which men are being held and no longer accept the outdated mantra that “ men will be men , and boys will be boys.” We must have zero tolerance for the destructive brotherhood that occurs when men of all ages gather and depend on sexism and misogyny as their common bond.

These are the tools of the patriarchy; they are the rituals of hazing that signify a boy’s entry into manhood. They can be discarded if we create a new narrative that welcomes young men into a truly gender-equal society. We should beware of falling into the trap of believing that the future of men is an “either, or” confrontation with the women’s movement.

The future of men is women.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.2.26  mocowgirl  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.22    2 years ago
Actually it’s much worse than that.    Gasoline is over double what it was.   Most food is over 10% of what was.   Etc,etc.

I agree.  

I was in support of a $15 minimum wage years ago.  In today's economy, I am not sure what it should be.

I worked a full-time job for $10 an hour over a decade ago.  After gas, vehicle upkeep and taxes, I was clearing maybe $240 a week.  

It was a mind-numbing office job that was easy enough.  I couldn't deal with the ME, ME, and ME constant chatter of the ME, ME, and ME crowd.

I am one of the people who have worked the gig economy through temp agencies whenever I could when I wasn't employed on a farm making life or death decisions for livestock that often involved my life being put at risk to save theirs. 

One of my favorite posters says: "I love horses, people make my head hurt."

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.27  evilone  replied to  mocowgirl @4.2.21    2 years ago
As long as the gig economy pays well, the workers have some flexibility about working part-time and setting their own hours. 

I did 1099 IT work for over a decade. There are no benefits, bonuses or unemployment if you can't make your bills. I moved to S Corp filing and then just folded the whole thing to work full time for my longest client. I'm making more money and have less stress. The only think I miss is going home early, but even that's changing here now that I only work until noon of Fridays during the summer. My vacation policy is - "Don't abuse it." LOL. 

Many people are probably making more money working part-time in the gig economy than they did working full-time in the service industry.

No doubt some are. I've talked to a few and some of them are working 60 to 80 hours at 2 or more gig worker companies (like Uber and Doordash) at the same time to make enough money.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.2.28  mocowgirl  replied to  mocowgirl @4.2.23    2 years ago
Detached from the labor force, with neither a college degree nor a steady job, these men have little income. But the technological revolution in media and entertainment of the last few decades has made it cheaper than ever to divert oneself on a phone, computer, television, or video-game console. Leisure is cheap enough that it apparently doesn’t require a steady W-2 or 1099 to have fun. And they are having fun, Hurst emphasized. “Happiness surveys actually indicate that they [are] quite content compared to their peers,” he   told UChicago . In the short run, not working doesn’t seem to make men miserable at all.

I don't know if this guy is employed or not, he has almost 11 million subscribers on his yt channel so that may be a source of income.  I can see where this would be a lot more fun that flipping burgers or waiting tables.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.29  TᵢG  replied to  mocowgirl @4.2.28    2 years ago

A lot of the younger generation are seduced by the prospect of being YouTube media giants.   Trouble is, this is a very difficult path to make the kind of money one needs to have a decent lifestyle.   Some make it big, most do not (but are ever hopeful, no doubt).

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.2.30  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.29    2 years ago
Trouble is, this is a very difficult path to make the kind of money one needs to have a decent lifestyle. 

Decent for some might be parents with a basement and room service provided by parents.

There are youtube stats at the link below.

YouTube Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022) - Business of Apps

YouTube channel Mr. Beast generated the most revenue in 2021, at $54 million. Jake Paul and Markipiler came second and third, respectively.

How many YouTube channels have over 250,000 subscribers?

Over 65,000 YouTube channels have hit the 250,000 subscriber mark

How much content is uploaded to YouTube every minute?

500 hours of content are apparently uploaded to YouTube, according to   The Street

How much is YouTube worth?

YouTube could be worth between $140 and $300 billion if spun-out into its own company ( VentureBeat )

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.31  TᵢG  replied to  mocowgirl @4.2.30    2 years ago
Decent for some might be parents with a basement and room service provided by parents.

That is temporary and only applies to 'kids' young enough to pull that off.

There are youtube stats at the link below.

How do you interpret those stats?   That is, does that translate into YouTubing is a good career move?   It does not at all translate that way in my mind.  

YouTube channel Mr. Beast generated the most revenue in 2021, at $54 million. Jake Paul and Markipiler came second and third, respectively.

As I noted, some make it big.   Just like some who play baseball make it big, some actors make it big, etc.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.2.32  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.31    2 years ago
That is temporary and only applies to 'kids' young enough to pull that off.

I have known "kids" in their 60s that were still living at home when their parents' died.  

Some parents don't want at least one of their kids to ever leave home or will move them next door.  This seems to be those parents' retirement plan to have a caretaker in old age.

Sometimes, multigenerational households are part of an ethnic or regional group's culture.

Society is changing because it has to based on money, or lack thereof.

Recent article.  

Adults are living with their parents at unprecedented levels as crushing debt, a runaway housing market, and the pandemic make independence impossible | Fortune

A massive amount of young people moved back in with their parents due to pandemic-related struggles.

The trend might be here to stay.

A record number of Americans are back living with their parents, as the share of the U.S. population living in multigenerational households hit 18% last year, according to a   new survey   by Pew Research Center.

The survey, which collected interviews from over 1,500 Americans of different ages and income levels last October, found that the number of multigenerational homes in the U.S. has quadrupled since the 1970s—a rate of growth far higher than that of other types of households.

Younger millennials are by far the most likely to be living in a multigenerational household. Nearly one third of Americans aged 25 to 29 do so, with the vast majority living with their parents. 

The most common factor behind people’s decision to move in or continue living with relatives well into adulthood was money. Finances were the main reason to live with family for 40% of survey respondents, followed by caregiving commitments to older relatives. Over half of younger people with lower incomes cited finances as the biggest factor in their decision.

A growing trend

Multigenerational living has been a growing trend in the U.S. for years. A major factor has been the rapid   population growth of people of color   in the U.S. over the past few years, a group Pew says is more likely to live with multiple generations in the same home. But the pandemic and a red-hot housing market have supercharged the popularity of these living decisions.

Moving out right now is just way too expensive

America has been in the clutches of a   historic housing crunch   for most of the pandemic, and millennials are faring the worst in it. A low supply of available housing and soaring demand are causing home prices to increase seemingly   every   month , and younger Americans with lower incomes are simply getting   crowded out of the market .

To avoid spending life savings on a home they   might regret , many millennials have opted to continue living with their relatives to wait out the hot housing market and save up money. 

The high cost of living in many cities is pushing more and more younger Americans to consider   moving back in with their families . The trend has been compounded by the student debt crisis among younger Americans, 60% of whom say that their student loan debt is the biggest factor delaying their decision to buy a home, according to   a 2021 poll   by the National Association of Realtors.

Renting isn’t a much better option for Americans looking to move out either, as rents have also been warped by the real estate market. Rents hit an all-time nationwide   high   last January, and in some cities, the market has gotten so ridiculous that buying a home can actually be the   more affordable option .

The housing market won’t cool off before   next year , and for those looking to buy a home, living with relatives does seem to be the most cost-efficient option. The Pew survey found that people living in multigenerational households are the least likely to fall into poverty, a benefit that in most cases extends to unemployed young Americans as well.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.2.33  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.31    2 years ago
How do you interpret those stats?   That is, does that translate into YouTubing is a good career move?   It does not at all translate that way in my mind.

I agree that it is not a career move, but then we are not talking about you and me.

We are talking about people who are looking to avoid flipping burgers or stocking shelves like a robot for decades of their life.  Many are probably not college material even if education was free.  Maybe if we had more trade schools to give more career options to teenagers, there will be a reversal of the trend of delaying leaving home to avoid struggling to pay all of the necessary bills just to survive.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.34  TᵢG  replied to  mocowgirl @4.2.33    2 years ago

It is very difficult for these individuals to make a livable income trying to become a YouTube media star.   They will spend years building up a base that is suitable for monetization.    And as with actors, most will fail.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.2.35  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.34    2 years ago

I agree.  

Until their support system ends, or there is more economic opportunity, what will ever motivate them to change their current living standard for a lessor one if they leave home?

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    2 years ago

Gasoline is already down by a buck a gallon...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5    2 years ago

how is the stock market today compared to January 2021?

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.1  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    2 years ago

The Dow was about 26,900 on Election Day 2020 and it is above 32,000 today. It started to rise again as soon as Biden won...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.1    2 years ago

always funny when you don't want to answer what was asked

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.3  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.2    2 years ago

Stocks rose when Biden was elected and rose more from the election to inauguration...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.3    2 years ago

still avoiding

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.5  Nerm_L  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    2 years ago

The DOW and S&P500 is floating around where it was when Biden was inaugurated.  The NASDAQ is down more than 10 pct.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1.6  Jasper2529  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.5    2 years ago

And inflation has soared since his inauguration. No "gain" for anyone except for politicians who deal in insider trading and stock options.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.7  Nerm_L  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.6    2 years ago
And inflation has soared since his inauguration. No "gain" for anyone except for politicians who deal in insider trading and stock options.

Yes, inflation has soared since Biden's inauguration. 

The median CPI is 6 times higher since Biden took the helm.  And it's much, much higher than it has been over the last 40 years.  Of course, that's Trump's fault or Putin's fault or China's fault or oil company's fault or climate change's fault.  Funny how Biden never points a finger at the financial sector.  Wonder why Biden hasn't been talking about health insurance since taking office?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5.1.8  pat wilson  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.7    2 years ago

Inflation soared globally as the pandemic began to fade. If you read from real news sites you'd know that.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.9  Nerm_L  replied to  pat wilson @5.1.8    2 years ago
Inflation soared globally as the pandemic began to fade. If you read from real news sites you'd know that.

So, now it's the world's fault?

Seems like everyone contributed to inflation -- except Joe Biden.  What a guy.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
5.1.10  afrayedknot  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.9    2 years ago

“Seems like everyone contributed to inflation -- except Joe Biden.  What a guy.”

So it is a single individual’s responsibility? What a crock. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @5.1.10    2 years ago
So it is a single individual’s responsibility? What a crock. 

Exactly, even though Presidents from both Parties like to take credit for great economies (see Bill Clinton), it's a crock to blame them for problems.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
5.1.12  afrayedknot  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.11    2 years ago

Agreed. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.13  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @5.1.12    2 years ago

I'm sorry that my sarcasm wasn't self evident.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
5.1.14  afrayedknot  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.13    2 years ago

Perhaps you were trying too hard. Always an element of truth in sarcasm, eh? 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.15  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @5.1.14    2 years ago

Eh.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
5.1.16  afrayedknot  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.15    2 years ago

meh

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5.1.17  pat wilson  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.9    2 years ago

I didn't state who's fault it is. Read my post again. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.18  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    2 years ago

Today, the DJIA is 31,990.   Jan 1, 2021 the DJIA was 30,606.   

Note that when COVID was emerging the DJIA hit its recent low of 19,173 (March 20, 2020).

It is very silly to attempt to correlate a PotUS with the stock market.    The PotUS will get the blame or credit, of course, because the electorate is very emotional, short-sighted and largely ignorant of the complexity of our socio-economic/political system.   But that does not make this practice of using the stock market as a measure of a PotUS correct.

For example, if the market continues to rise through the midterms, will that be a result of Biden's actions?  (Unlikely.)   The Ds will say 'yes' and the Rs will say 'no'.   And if 2024 yields an R PotUS and the market finally declines in 2025 due to natural dynamics (rather than major exceptional events such as COVID-19 or a significant war) will that be the result of the R PotUS?   Here, of course, we all know the Ds will say 'no' and the Rs will say 'yes'.

This is a silly game.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.19  TᵢG  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.11    2 years ago

It is a crock to credit them too.   Seriously.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.20  Sparty On  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.9    2 years ago
Seems like everyone contributed to inflation -- except Joe Biden.  What a guy.

Yep, a guy who has not been responsible for anything bad for nearly 50 years of public service ...... amazing!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.21  Tessylo  replied to  pat wilson @5.1.8    2 years ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.22  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.21    2 years ago

Oh, I see, she tacked on a little insult.

That's funny?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.23  Nerm_L  replied to  pat wilson @5.1.17    2 years ago
I didn't state who's fault it is. Read my post again. 

Neither did I state who's fault it is.  Read my post again. @5.1.7

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.24  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.22    2 years ago

She's cute that way, juvenile but cute,  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.25  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.22    2 years ago

Flag it, like everything else I post

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.26  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.22    2 years ago

What insult?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.27  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.22    2 years ago

I'm not the topic of your 'article' either though you and DOTW are making me the topic

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.28  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.25    2 years ago

I'm not flagging your posts.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.29  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.26    2 years ago

You don't think so?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.30  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.27    2 years ago

By responding to you?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.31  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.19    2 years ago

I'm sorry that the sarcasm wasn't self evident.  Seriously.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.32  TᵢG  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.31    2 years ago

It is difficult to detect sarcasm given some of the 'remarkable' positions some people take.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @5    2 years ago

Where? Average US price per gallon at peak June 13, 2022 to week of July 18,2022 $5.107 compared to $4.599.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.2    2 years ago

he uses that magical Biden math

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.2  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.2    2 years ago

Gas is $3.99 at the Conoco in The Bronx today.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.2.2    2 years ago

gas buddy says you are wrong

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.2.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @5.2.2    2 years ago

Peak in South Carolina, where I work, was $4.609. Today it is $3.86.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.3    2 years ago

So do they ^^^^^^^^

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.2.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.2.4    2 years ago

The peak i saw here was in june at $5.02 in a small podunk scenic town , its been hovering over the past month in the $4.70- $4.90 range . IF i want to change my route to go see the grandkids , i CAN find it as low as $3.72 . 

i am being very thankful i get 28-31 MPG highway . and thats with a 20+ year old vehicle .

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.7  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @5.2.2    2 years ago

Really? That's a miracle! Two days ago, it was $4.47/cash.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.8  JBB  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.7    2 years ago

As noted by Just Jim prices are going down daily.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2.9  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.1    2 years ago

Isn't that the method that requires you to be bashed in the head with a ball peen hammer?  

That's the only way it would make sense.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2.10  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @5.2.8    2 years ago
ts been hovering over the past month in the $4.70- $4.90 r

And you think the human fuck up in the WH deserves credit for that?  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.11  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @5.2.8    2 years ago
As noted by Just Jim prices are going down daily.

He described SC prices. Your comment was about Bronx, NY, and I gave you Gas Buddy's prices for the Bronx and averages for NYC which are higher than what you claimed in comment 5.2.2   . Big difference.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.12  JBB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.2.10    2 years ago

It seems fair since Biden released reserved to lower costs...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.13  Jasper2529  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.2.10    2 years ago
And you think the human fuck up in the WH deserves credit for that?  

Well, I suppose a drop of around $.40/gal by recklessly depleting our emergency reserves gives Biden a gold star for effort.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.2.12    2 years ago

What street address is this gas station in the Bronx, because EVERYTHING I can find tells me it is much, much higher than what YOU claimed.

Sounds like you made it up to me, since you provided no evidence and no reputable source says otherwise.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.15  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.14    2 years ago

I used Gas Buddy to find Conoco stations in the Bronx. All of them are way above $4.00/gal/cash.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.16  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.14    2 years ago

original

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2.17  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @5.2.12    2 years ago

With that train of thought then the higher prices are all on him.  It seems fair.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.18  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.2.16    2 years ago

Wow--way to avoid telling me what I asked!

Just can't admit you made it all up, eh?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2.19  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.13    2 years ago

Gold star.  That seems to be the mentality of the Bidenites.  "I did good.  Where's my sticker?"

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.20  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @5.2.16    2 years ago

Where are the markings to identify exactly where that sign is located?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2.21  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.20    2 years ago

Photoshop Deluxe Edition.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.2.22  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.2.21    2 years ago

No it's legit..............from June 2nd of  2011.

and the yellow coloring of the sign has SHELL written all over it.

Not even a nice try JBB /SMMFH

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.23  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.18    2 years ago

It looks like that image is Lansing, MI in 2012.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.2.24  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.23    2 years ago

The exact pic is in my link. All you have to do is right click on it (if you are using Chrome as your browser) and "Search image with Google Lens" comes up and voila.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.25  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.2.22    2 years ago

He must think we are as dumb as the Democrats who insist there is absolutely nothing wrong with the country, despite even a fair amount of other Democrats saying we are heading in the wrong direction!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.2.26  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.2.22    2 years ago

So the last time a Democrat was in office.  Imagine that, gas prices rose then too.  I'm seeing a pattern.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
5.2.27  MonsterMash  replied to  JBB @5.2.2    2 years ago

Busted! Gas Buddy show gas in the Bronx today ranges from a low of $4.23 to a high of $4.53

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.28  Jasper2529  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.2.24    2 years ago

Well done! The Obama/Biden administration. Some things never change.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.29  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.25    2 years ago
He must think we are as dumb as the Democrats ...

I comment on a number of social media sites, and many are left wing. What you said is true. It's very easy for Independents and Conservatives to prove the radical left wrong, mostly because many of them assume they don't have to provide documentation for their radical claims.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.2.30  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @5.2.12    2 years ago

You do realize that Biden has to replace every last gallon of oil he is releasing right?

What happens to gas prices when he finally runs out of surplus and has to restock?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.31  Jasper2529  replied to  Ronin2 @5.2.30    2 years ago
What happens to gas prices when he finally runs out of surplus and has to restock?

They don't care about that. He and the climate change cult probably hope that we'll never have catastrophic hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, or blizzards ... because they (and we) know that their Chinese-made windmills will never be able to produce and store enough "(green) energy for weeks to months.

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.2.32  bugsy  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.20    2 years ago
Where are the markings to identify exactly where that sign is located?

It doesn't matter, Jasper.

The rule here is when a leftist posts something, you are to accept it, no matter how much bullshit you know it is.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
5.2.33  MonsterMash  replied to  Ronin2 @5.2.30    2 years ago
You do realize that Biden has to replace every last gallon of oil he is releasing right? What happens to gas prices when he finally runs out of surplus and has to restock?

Gas will skyrocket and there probably be a shortage.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
5.2.34  afrayedknot  replied to  bugsy @5.2.32    2 years ago

“The rule here is when a leftist posts something, you are to accept it…”

The ‘rule’ bugs?

Do you not have every opportunity to disagree and state your own opinion? Does just jim not have every opportunity to vote you up?

No exclusivity hereabouts…equal opportunity to offend, only the thin skinned choose to whine about it. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.35  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @5.2.32    2 years ago

I just have to laugh at what he thinks he can pull off here without getting called on the obvious bullshit.

Surely he knows by now we won't just accept things at face value after incidents like this one.

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.2.36  bugsy  replied to  afrayedknot @5.2.34    2 years ago
Do you not have every opportunity to disagree

[deleted]

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
5.2.37  afrayedknot  replied to  bugsy @5.2.36    2 years ago

“The expectation…”

That is solely defined…you and you alone define left, right, and center.

All are better served when all viewpoints are considered and open to debate…not condemnation.

That being said, thanks to those that provide this venue. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
5.2.38  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @5.2.16    2 years ago

Wow, busted lying. So much for any credibility you might have had left.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.39  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @5.2.38    2 years ago

Now where did JBB run off to?

I guess the whole thing was made up as he STILL can't give an address where this mythical gas station is at.

I would be ASHAMED for making shit like this up.

Can't believe in this day and age he thought he could snow people with that weak-ass crapola!

I guess even he is embarrassed by this fiasco.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.40  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @5.2.38    2 years ago
So much for any credibility you might have had left.

WHAT CREDIBILITY??????????????????????

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.2.41  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.39    2 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Wookin fo nub in awl da wong paces ......

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.42  Texan1211  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.2.41    2 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.43  Texan1211  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.2.41    2 years ago
Wookin fo nub in awl da wong paces ......

Maybe he'll claim authorship of that song next...........

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.2.44  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.43    2 years ago

eddy murphy has that one when he did an SNL sketch as buckwheat .....

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.2.45  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.2.44    2 years ago

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
5.2.46  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.40    2 years ago

The credibility in his own mind.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
5.2.47  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.39    2 years ago

I am sure he will be back soon and ignore it happened. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.48  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @5.2.16    2 years ago

Ain't that something jbb?  They question your information and say you're lying

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.2.49  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.48    2 years ago

Average price in PA today is $4.555.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.50  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @5.2.47    2 years ago

Naw--he got caught in his lie and now has taken a powder.

He never did provide the imaginary address of that imaginary gas station, did he?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2.51  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.48    2 years ago

And decisively so!

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.3  bugsy  replied to  JBB @5    2 years ago

But still up 1.80 from the day dumb fuck took office in Jan 2021. And before you parrot Putin did it, it was up about 1.50 before he invaded Ukraine.

This ALL falls under dumb fuck in the White House today.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.4  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @5    2 years ago

Only because demand is down because nobody can afford to fill their tanks. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
5.4.1  shona1  replied to  arkpdx @5.4    2 years ago

Morning Arky..

Our petrol prices here have dropped was $2.10 a litre now down to $1.80...no explanation why but we will take it though...

Usually get some bull dust story about world prices blaming everything from COVID to someone sneezed somewhere...🙄

The petrol prices are up and down like a dunny (toilet) lid...I just look at it you need it so have to buy it...no public transport where I live...

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.4.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  shona1 @5.4.1    2 years ago

doing the conversions for US dollars and from metric to imperial , that would make it about $5.01 USD per gal .

shona1
PhD Quiet
5.4.3  shona1  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.4.2    2 years ago

Arvo Mark...

Just as well you don't live in NZ $7.24US a gallon over there...😬

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.4.4  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  shona1 @5.4.3    2 years ago

Right now its in the $4.70 range with a 10 cent spread as of today , can find it cheaper though if one looks .

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4.5  Texan1211  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.4.4    2 years ago

You should go to the Bronx, rumor has it is only $3.99 a gallon there................

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.4.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Texan1211 @5.4.5    2 years ago

they just want our nubs .....

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.4.7  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.4.4    2 years ago

gas buddy says a couple places in Casper,Wy have it for $3.72 

I average 6 gals for a 200 mile trip to see the grandkids , thats abuck a gal savings , Oi ! thats enough for a 6 pack of cool ones

Waykwabu
Freshman Silent
5.4.8  Waykwabu  replied to  shona1 @5.4.1    2 years ago

The reason we have regular price falls  ( I got this from a source in the industry ) :

(Very simply ) The quotas the various companies get to refill their stock depends on their previous month's sales - hence the need to drop retail prices to increase sales, once they have their allocation back up goes the price !

We'll have an extra price rise end September when fuel tax is reinstated to its previous level !!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.5  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @5    2 years ago

And still nearly double what it was before Biden took office.

Another Biden blunder ....

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.6  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @5    2 years ago
Gasoline is already down by a buck a gallon... 

Only because biden's high prices and high inflation rate made everything so expensive no one can afford to drive anymore and the demand has gone down. It not because of anything Biden has done. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6  Jasper2529    2 years ago
This is not an economy that's in recession, but we're in a period of transition

Other than the obvious grammatical difference, how, pray tell, is 'transition' different from 'transitory'? 

evilone
Professor Guide
7  evilone    2 years ago

Economists and CEOs seem to disagree with where the economy is headed. Jamie Diamond says a "hurricane is coming" while his own chief economist disagrees saying he doesn't see any storm coming. Unemployment is low, wages are up and people are spending - which is all good. Inflation is high and not slowing, interest rates are rising in return and skepticism is creeping in - these are bad. The question is can the Fed right the ship without tipping it over.

That said all the partisan propagandists are out running around trying to counter messaging each other during an election year. My point here remains - the economy is tricky and complex and even the experts don't agree.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilone @7    2 years ago
My point here remains - the economy is tricky and complex and even the experts don't agree.

You remain on point.  Not only is it the world's largest (GDP), it's very diverse across multiple sectors, our economy is interconnected in the global economy.  We are the most important export destination for about 20% of the world's countries , the dollar is the most widely used currency in global trade and financial transactions, and changes in our monetary policy and investor markets  play a major role in driving global financing conditions.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.2  Kavika   replied to  evilone @7    2 years ago

The ''experts'' think that the feds will raise the interest rate by .75 and some are predicting a full point. 

There is a lot of contridictary expert opinions out there currently.

evilone
Professor Guide
7.2.1  evilone  replied to  Kavika @7.2    2 years ago
There is a lot of contridictary expert opinions out there currently.

None of it stops the talking heads from making talking points for the mid-terms.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.2.2  Kavika   replied to  evilone @7.2.1    2 years ago

If the feds come in with a quarter or half point increase the talking heads will explode.

evilone
Professor Guide
7.2.3  evilone  replied to  Kavika @7.2.2    2 years ago
If the feds come in with a quarter or half point increase the talking heads will explode.

No doubt. I'm not convinced the Feds will do anything, or if they do, what they'll end up doing. There are some signs of economic slow down. Manufacturing is down which is, but one sign. Another is a glut of inventory at some retailers (the supply system finally caught up for a few companies). Mortgage companies have stopped hiring and a very few companies (looking at you Elon <- you fucking tool) are reducing their workforce. 

So I wouldn't be surprised at whatever number they come up with, or no number at all.

LOL... Unrelated but still surprising is that ex-CEO, and majority stock holder, Vince McMahon retired from the WWE and is now under federal investigation after that news (on Friday) caused a 9.51% rise in the stock price.

JBB
Professor Principal
8  JBB    2 years ago

original

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @8    2 years ago

Joe Biden doesn't need Republicans' prayers for that. He and his administration are doing a spectacular job in destroying the USA all on their own.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @8    2 years ago

What we really pray for is an honest Democrat

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2    2 years ago

That's more fictional than the unicorn.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8.2.2  arkpdx  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2    2 years ago
honest Democrat

That is one  huge oxymoron 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  arkpdx @8.2.2    2 years ago

Light on the oxy, heavy on the moron.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @8    2 years ago

Question of the day:

How is it that one man who has been in public service since 1970, while doing nothing right except peddle influence, eventually brought down the greatest nation on earth?

JBB
Professor Principal
8.3.1  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3    2 years ago

What in Hell are you talking about? Donald Trump is the only politician who has came close to "bringing down America". As of now, nobody managed it and the only people trying to are Trumpist election deniers!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.3.2  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @8.3.1    2 years ago
Trump is the only politician who came close to bringing down America.

Lol .... only to those who see the color of the sky to be pink or mauve or perhaps chartreuse.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @8.3.1    2 years ago
What in Hell are you talking about?

Oh, things like a great economy, fair trade deals, public safety and border security. I guess for others it's all about abortion, victimization and green energy.

That's where we disagree, I guess.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @8.3.2    2 years ago

It's kind of grey over the Grand Concourse today.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.3.5  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.3    2 years ago
Oh, things like a great economy, fair trade deals, public safety and border security.

Yeah but mean tweets ..... meanwhile angry Joe regularly insults large swaths of Americans and the left is radio silent .... classic.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @8.3.5    2 years ago

Joe said he was going to "unite us."

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.3.7  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.6    2 years ago

Lol .... “unite” is what Susan Rice tells him it is.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.8  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @8.3.7    2 years ago

She exemplifies what has happened in Washington DC since Trump became President. Left-wing sentiments have long existed among members of the democratic party, but were merely simmering below the surface until Trump came along. Now we are seeing how they really feel about this country, our Constitution and the American people.

You may recall that under Obama, Rice handled a foreign policy on Africa in which she hid U.N. reports providing extensive evidence of official Rwandan and Ugandan support for the infamous M23 rebel group. Rice sent a delegation to the UN to block any mention of it. 

Rice is now in charge.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8.3.9  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @8.3.1    2 years ago
Donald Trump is the only politician who has came close to "bringing down America".

Somebody's drinking the Kool Aid!!!!!!  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8.3.10  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.6    2 years ago
meanwhile angry Joe regularly insults large swaths of Americans and the left is radio silent

By his own standard on the Corona Virus, Biden should step down with that many deaths.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.3.11  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.8    2 years ago
Rice is now in charge.

She was Obama's puppet-master, too. In her current rodeo, she's been less visible but just as powerful.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.12  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @8.3.10    2 years ago

We could only hope.  

Speaking of that, Biden got every vaccine shot he could and told us that the vaccine made us immune. He even divided the country over it. Spent a good deal of the nation's wealth on vaccines, test kits and masks. In the end we hear Dr Birx saying  "I knew" that COVID-19 vaccines were not going to protect against infection"

DR. BIRX:  I knew these vaccines were not going to protect against infection. And I think we overplayed  the vaccines , and it made people then worry that it's not going to protect against severe disease and hospitalization. It will. But let's be very clear: 50% of the people who died from the Omicron surge were older, vaccinated. So that's why I'm saying even if you're vaccinated and boosted, if you're unvaccinated right now, the key is testing and Paxlovid. It's effective. It's a great antiviral. And really, that is what's going to save your lives right now if you're over 70, which if you look at the hospitalizations, hospitalizations are rising steadily with new admissions, particularly in those over 70. And so if you live  in the South  - I know people keep talking about the fall - I'm worried about the South. 

People lost their jobs over it. People fought over it. Progressives acted like they were morally superior.

They played politics and now they got caught.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.13  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.3.11    2 years ago
In her current rodeo, she's been less visible but just as powerful.

She is now the great Oz behind the screen

th?id=OIP.wkkIRWnqiwEhgHxhlmDTYwHaHQ&pid=Api&P=0

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8.3.14  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.12    2 years ago

Now it's a matter of when the lemmings start trying to discredit Dr. Birx. 

Their political games are coming back to bite them in the ass.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.3.15  Jasper2529  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @8.3.14    2 years ago
Now it's a matter of when the lemmings start trying to discredit Dr. Birx. 

Actually, they don't have to do very much to discredit her. In her book, she's already admitted that she and Fauci manipulated data and altered CDC guidelines.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.16  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @8.3.14    2 years ago

Dr Birx is easily expendable.

It's Dr Fauci that they'd like to protect. He goes down next year as soon as the Republicans in the House take over the gavels.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.17  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.3.15    2 years ago

Hopefully we all learned to not blindly put our trust in the hands of the so-called "experts" with all their "credentials."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.18  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.6    2 years ago

President Biden isn't responsible for the division we see

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.19  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.18    2 years ago

No?

Let's start with this:

"On Wednesday, Joe Biden falsely characterized MAGA Republicans as the “most extremist” political group in U.S. history. Later that day, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki confirmed that Biden meant what he said."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.20  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.16    2 years ago

Dr. Fauci isn't 'going down'.  What nonsense

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
8.3.21  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.18    2 years ago

Vic didn't say he was, Vic wrote:

Joe said he was going to "unite us."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.22  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.20    2 years ago

He knows it too.

He wants to leave the second Biden leaves.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.23  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.19    2 years ago

President Biden spoke the truth.

Something not to be found on 'articles' like this

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.24  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.23    2 years ago

Hardly unifying, was it?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.25  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.22    2 years ago

He is retiring

Not 'going down'

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.26  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.25    2 years ago

( The Hill ) — Congressional Republicans are eagerly floating investigations into Anthony Fauci and the Biden administration’s response to the coronavirus pandemic if they win back control of the House or Senate in the midterm elections. 

“One way or another, if we are in the majority, we will subpoena his records and he will testify in the Senate under oath,” said Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who is in line to become the chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee if Republicans win the majority with the panel’s current ranking member, Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.), retiring. "

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8.3.27  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.25    2 years ago
He is retiring Not 'going down

And you think that is going to protect him?  That's laughable.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.28  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.3    2 years ago

None of which what's his name was responsible for

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.29  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.24    2 years ago

Truth

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.30  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.26    2 years ago

What is that fucking idiot Paul going to investigate?

They need to investigate trumpturd for that.  Not Dr. Fauci

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.31  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.28    2 years ago

No?

Who did it then?  Was it Obama or Gunga Din?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.32  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.17    2 years ago

Like Rand Paul?

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.33  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.29    2 years ago

I'm sure you think so, but it's not "unifying" to demonize half the country.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.34  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.30    2 years ago
What is that fucking idiot Paul going to investigate?

Something called Gain of function research in China and who exactly funded it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.35  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.34    2 years ago

So for nothing

Just like the benghazi 'hearings'

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.36  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.32    2 years ago

No, Tessylo, Rand Paul doesn't hold up his credentials or put on airs. He simply pursues the truth. He also has an uncanny ability to smell out a fraud.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.37  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.31    2 years ago

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.38  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.36    2 years ago

What truth?

Paul is the fraud.  Not Dr. Fauci

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.39  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.35    2 years ago
So for nothing

‘Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all."....John Keats

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.40  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.36    2 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.41  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.40    2 years ago

At least you came away with a laugh.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.42  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.41    2 years ago

What's hilarious is you talking about the truth and frauds.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
8.3.43  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.19    2 years ago

So how do you categorize MAGA Vic ?  Are they like the Glee Club ?  Mathletes without cleats ? How about traitorous individuals who seek out cheats, to further their twisted sister Mary Elephant bleats as directed by Trump tweets, from his little bird in hand, as not even worth half of the burning two in the family Bush, chlorophyllied with shit as Trump never stopped the push. So "God damn the pusher man" and his LIE pushing clan that can   NOT  get past that THERE IS NOT EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT TRUMPS" LIES. So, in a way, they are the most extreme, in terms of gullibility you see, but, of course you don't and probably won't, yet, that does not change the point dulled to pierce the tin, foil the feeble points of men, consumed by a twisted liter who the quarts may yet charge. And if we know Trump, he'll pull out his cape and yell Toro at the landscrapers, in a pathetic attempt to avoid the charges he deserves after the collect calls to Georgia on his blank checked mind fckd mentality impregnated with the low water marks, Trump attempted to affect by wading in to the fray, as he captains the row  boats gone wild, and plays out who would win if vs against one another, then judged by the petulant child, who could surely ONLY LOSE if abortions were not a reproductive option for he and of course that nights she, all because he liked P, and other letters not sent via the US Male ordered bride he would attempt bribe rather than prescribe to the notion that appointing a PM General that was demoing sorting machines right before a pandemic promoted mail in vote effort that he attempted to make full effort a requirement, for the planting of seeds to germinate his deceitful impede of our transition of power, in an attempt to be King, well , at least for an extra half hour, then got distracted, by some Rushed Put in place Golden Shower, as he perched himself in the single cell tower to ring the bell on the our time  Mr. Hand, so Don, go pound sand.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.44  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.42    2 years ago

How else are you going to learn about the virtues of simply telling the truth?

I'm here to help.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.45  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  igknorantzrulz @8.3.43    2 years ago
So how do you categorize MAGA Vic ?

The slogan?  It means Make America Great Again.
The people?  They were the forgotten muscular class.

How about traitorous individuals who seek out cheats, to further their twisted sister Mary Elephant bleats as directed by Trump tweets, from his little bird in hand, as not even worth half of the burning two in the family Bush, chlorophyllied with shit as Trump never stopped the push. So "God damn the pusher man" and his LIE pushing clan that can   NOT  get past that THERE IS NOT EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT TRUMPS" LIES. So, in a way, they are the most extreme, in terms of gullibility you see, but, of course you don't and probably won't, yet, that does not change the point dulled to pierce the tin, foil the feeble points of men, consumed by a twisted liter who the quarts may yet charge. And if we know Trump, he'll pull out his cape and yell Toro at the landscrapers, in a pathetic attempt to avoid the charges he deserves after the collect calls to Georgia on his blank checked mind fckd mentality impregnated with the low water marks, Trump attempted to affect by wading in to the fray, as he captains the row  boats gone wild, and plays out who would win if vs against one another, then judged by the petulant child, who could surely ONLY LOSE if abortions were not a reproductive option for he and of course that nights she, all because he liked P, and other letters not sent via the US Male ordered bride he would attempt bribe rather than prescribe to the notion that appointing a PM General that was demoing sorting machines right before a pandemic promoted mail in vote effort that he attempted to make full effort a requirement, for the planting of seeds to germinate his deceitful impede of our transition of power, in an attempt to be King, well , at least for an extra half hour, then got distracted, by some Rushed Put in place Golden Shower, as he perched himself in the single cell tower to ring the bell on the our time  Mr. Hand, so Don, go pound sand.

Do I need to be on Quaaludes to interpret that?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.46  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.45    2 years ago

You need wit and intelligence to interpret that

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.3.47  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.3.44    2 years ago

I will learn nothing about truth telling 'here'

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.48  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.46    2 years ago

Does that mean you'll tell us what it meant?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.49  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @8.3.47    2 years ago

Where then?  Surely not on Twitter.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

"First Democrats said their reckless spending wouldn’t cause inflation.

Then they said it would be transitory.

Then they said it had peaked last year.

Now those same Democrats are insisting we aren’t headed into a recession.

Draw your own conclusions."........Mitch McConnell

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @9    2 years ago

Bazinga!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @9.1    2 years ago

Democrat's spin is as bad as Putin's!

A ten year old doesn't buy it!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.1.1    2 years ago
A ten year old doesn't buy it!

Sadly, many Democrats seem to lack a 10-year-old's smarts.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.2    2 years ago

I'm sure there are still many moderate democrats who believe in the party's old principles. Unfortunately the party has been taken over by the radical left and for them it's all about an ideology which is very similar to a religion.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.1.3    2 years ago

Your usual projection

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.4    2 years ago

I think there are a few slogans we need to think about retiring around here:

1) projection
2) bull shit
3) don't put words in my mouth
4) deflection

JBB
Professor Principal
9.1.6  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.1.5    2 years ago

How Orwellian of you...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @9.1.6    2 years ago

For that one needs absolute control of the society.

Let's think of who that is?

Take 60 seconds and get back to me.

JBB
Professor Principal
9.1.8  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.1.7    2 years ago

First one needs totalitarian desires. Who has that? See 9.1.5

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1.9  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @9.1.8    2 years ago

I'm disappointed.

Think of these words:

1) Clingers
2) Deplorables
3) insurrectionists

and

4) " I must reject the recommendations of Representatives Banks and Jordan to the Select Committee," Pelosi said in  a statement.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.1.9    2 years ago

All truthful descriptions

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1.11  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.10    2 years ago

Of half the country?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.1.5    2 years ago

[removed]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10  Tessylo    2 years ago

He was truthful about trumpturd and his enablers/supporters

GregTx
PhD Guide
11  GregTx    2 years ago
“In terms of the technical definition, it’s not a recession,” Brian Deese, director of Biden’s National Economic Council, said in a CNN interview on July 25. “In practical terms, what matters to the American people is whether they have a little economic breathing room, they have more job opportunities, they have wages that are going up.”
It is odd that Deese would take the risk of saying such a thing since real wages have been falling uninterruptedly ever since COVID hit .

bugsy
Professor Participates
12  bugsy    2 years ago

definitions-keep-changing.jpg