╌>

Dodge is discontinuing muscle cars Charger and Challenger

Category:  Other

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  2 years ago  •  23 comments

By:   BY KHRISTOPHER J. BROOKS CBS NEWS

There is going to be one very unhappy NT member because of this.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Dodge plans to stop making its Charger and Challenger sedans in 2023, as electric vehicles supplant the fabled muscle cars.

Parent company Stellantis  said  Monday that it will halt production of the Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger in December 2023. To commemorate the vehicles, the company said Dodge's lineup next year will feature seven special-edition models, each of which will have a "Last Call" plaque under the hood. 

Customers will be able to choose among the Demon, Hellcat, Redeye, Scat Pack, Shaker, Jailbreak and a seventh model that will be announced at an automotive industry convention in November. 

Netherlands-based automaker Stellantis said it plans refocus the brand on electric-vehicle offerings. 

"We are celebrating the end of an era — and the start of a bright new electrified future — by staying true to our brand," Tim Kuniskis, Dodge brand chief executive officer at Stellantis, said in a statement.

79088416.jpg

A 1969 Dodge Charger, dubbed "The General Lee" from the TV series "The Dukes of Hazzard," is displayed during the 37th Annual Barrett-Jackson Collector Cars auction in Scottsdale, Arizona.    GABRIEL BOUYS//GETTY IMAGES

Stellantis, which also owns Jeep and Chrysler,  said  earlier this month that it's investing $99 million in plants in Michigan, Indiana and Toronto so workers there can start producing hybrid-electric engines. The company is also partnering with Samsung to build a $2.5 billion electric vehicle battery plant in Kokomo, Indiana. 

Dodge plans to announce details about its electric lineup this week, a spokesperson told CBS MoneyWatch. 

Dodge introduced the Charger in 1965 and the Challenger in 1969. The Charger received nationwide exposure as the orange-painted General Lee in the television series Dukes of Hazzard. Dodge stopped making the car in the 1970s, brought it back briefly in the 1980s then discontinued it again. The Challenger has also appearanced in TV shows and movies. 

Today's version of the Charger launched in 2005, and Dodge has built 3 million of them since then, the company said. 

The 2023 Charger and Challenger models will be available in 14 colors, including "sublime green" and "plum purple." The vehicles will be sold at specific Dodge dealerships. Dodge hasn't disclosed a price for the cars yet. 

A 2014 Dodge Challenger    DODGE

Muscle  cars  like the Charger and Challenger represent a unique style of high-performance vehicles popularized by U.S. automakers in the 1950s and marketed for their powerful engines and sporty design .  

Muscle cars are typically two-door vehicles with lightweight bodies designed to help the car go fast. Americans' interest with muscle cars surged in the 1960s with the popularity of drag racing and as more customers purchased cars like the Pontiac GTO, Ford Mustang and Plymouth Road Runner. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

The Dodge Charger has been used in countless movies and TV series - mentioning just a few of those movies - Grand Theft Auto (1977), Live and Let Die (1973), Cannonball (1976), Big Fish (2003), Blue Velvet (1968).

I guess I wasn't particularly aware of the mystique and charisma of that car until I saw the 1970 Canadian movie Goin' Down the Road, wherein two very rural Maritimers get in a car to drive to Toronto where they think they're going to get rich and famous, and on the way one of them is fantasizing about what he is going to do and says "Maybe I can buy a Charger..."  Although I saw that movie a half a century ago, I will always remember that line. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
2  charger 383    2 years ago

I am not happy about this

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  charger 383 @2    2 years ago

I can't imagine why, LOL! 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     2 years ago

Damn near the end of the line for all muscle cars, the Mustang is the last of a breed still being produced and a big seller. I sure hope that it hold on since it is an icon.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @3    2 years ago

My hubby's first car was a Cuda. He was a bit bummed today. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.1.1  charger 383  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    2 years ago

I had a Cuda, wish i had kept it

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    2 years ago

The only "muscle" type car I ever owned was just a "pretender" to being a muscle car - a 1973 Pontiac Grand Am - it was pretty fast - it was identical to the one in this internet photo.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @3.1.1    2 years ago

If I were you I'd keep any Charger you've got now in good shape - I'm sure it will be worth a lot of money down the road. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.4  pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.3    2 years ago

No pun intended ? lol

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    2 years ago

So was mine. A 72.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.2    2 years ago

We had a car kinda like that. I still don't remember what it was, I have a guess. Loved that thing, it was like driving a space ship. Sorry, old pic.

I also kinda lied about the Barracuda being my first car. A Plymouth Duster would have been. Although my Dad never put it in my name and it never left the driveway...

You can sort of see it here.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Ender  replied to  Ender @3.1.5    2 years ago

Old pics. The thing was A beast. My 72 Plymouth Barracuda. Sadly the last I hear I think it went for parts.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.8  MonsterMash  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.2    2 years ago

I had a white 73 Grand AM with a red interior.

grand-am-front-e1574786617658.jpg

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.9  JBB  replied to  MonsterMash @3.1.8    2 years ago

I ogled one just like that at our local dealer in 1973. It was about $4,200 compared with the plainer Lemans for only $3,200...

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.1.10  charger 383  replied to  Ender @3.1.7    2 years ago

Years ago, I had a 70 Cuda, 440 4  speed but it was worn out when I got it, I paid $400 for it, I traded it for a 68 Roadrunner.  I wish I had them both.  A friend that owns a body shop has the Roadrunner and it looks new

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.11  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MonsterMash @3.1.8    2 years ago

That's a beauty.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.12  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @3.1.9    2 years ago

Car prices sure have changed.  Of course for the same price one could still buy that little bug in China shown in another article here. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Kavika @3    2 years ago
the Mustang is the last of a breed still being produced and a big seller. I sure hope that it hold on since it is an icon.

Last of the breed?? When did the Camaro stop being produced and sold? Not to mention the Corvette

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2    2 years ago

I put the Corvette in a different league, not a muscle car but a pure sports car. 

As for the Camaro, I thought I saw something that Chevy was going to stop producing them, not sure will have to research that one.

This is what I found.

The sixth generation Chevrolet Camaro is nearing the end of its production run with the 2023 model year being the last refresh of the American icon before being discontinued in 2024

Your welcome.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2    2 years ago

I don't think the Camaro is any more of a muscle car than my Grand Am was, and it wasn't.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    2 years ago

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    2 years ago

I saw a video of an electric powered Charger that made Hemi sounds, Fast and Loud but it just ain't the same.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @5    2 years ago

Fake sounds?