╌>

Biden huddles with economic team after worse-than-expected inflation report | Washington Examiner

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  2 years ago  •  88 comments

By:   Washington Examiner

Biden huddles with economic team after worse-than-expected inflation report | Washington Examiner
President Joe Biden met with members of his economic team this morning as September's worse-than-expected inflation report poses new headaches for the White House.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Joe Biden met with members of his economic team this morning as September's worse-than-expected inflation report poses new headaches for the White House.

Inflation clocked in at 8.2% for the 12 months ending in September, according to the consumer price index, which is bad news for the country's economic health. Thursday's report will be the last inflation update released before the midterm elections.

"The president met today with his economic team to receive a briefing on the global economy and financial markets," read a statement from the White House. "Despite global economic challenges associated with elevated inflation throughout the world, they reported that the United States remains in a strong position to bring down inflation and maintain a resilient job market.

The numbers provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics on Thursday morning indicated that while it decreased by one-tenth of a percentage point, inflation was higher than anticipated and defying the Federal Reserve's aggressive interest rate hikes.

Biden has reacted to recent reports by focusing on the month-over-month figures, which were 0.0% in July and 0.1% in August. But in September, even that figure rose 0.4%, again suggesting that inflation is far from being tamed.

The markets immediately sunk after the news broke. Dow Jones Industrial Average futures dropped by around 500 points after the release of the report. The S&P 500 was off by about 2%, and the Nasdaq composite also dipped by almost 3%.

Nonetheless, the White House insists it is working hard to address the problem and will get inflation under control.

"Moreover, President Biden's economic plan continues to position the U.S. economy for stronger growth and investment in the United States," the statement read. "The president directed the team to stay in close contact with key market actors, partners, and allies and to update him as conditions evolve."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago
Biden has reacted to recent reports by focusing on the month-over-month figures, which were 0.0% in July and 0.1% in August. But in September, even that figure rose 0.4%, again suggesting that inflation is far from being tamed.

Not to worry, anyone, after all, inflation, like a recession, is only temporary.

Nonetheless, the White House insists it is working hard to address the problem and will get inflation under control.

Oh, thank God. Maybe we will even see some results before a recession hits.

"Moreover, President Biden's economic plan continues to position the U.S. economy for stronger growth and investment in the United States," the statement read. "The president directed the team to stay in close contact with key market actors, partners, and allies and to update him as conditions evolve."

I suppose asking for some positive results is going too far, huh?

One would like to think that with the President and his entire economic team working so diligently, maybe they could produce some result.

Looks like the stock market took another hit today.

Sigh.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago

Actually the stock market had a big up today.  After dropping in early morning trading, it ended up 827.87 up to end at 30,038.72.  A swing of around 1500 points overall.

Of course who knows what tomorrow will bring.  It goes up, it goes down...  I'm just very grateful that I'm in a position where I don't need to panic and pull money out of a crazy market when we're in a recession.  Oh wait, we're not in a recession...   damn,  read the wrong queue card.  Need to remember to read the official WH approved queue cards...  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago
Not to worry, anyone, after all, inflation, like a recession, is only temporary

I thought it was Putin's fault.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago
Not to worry, anyone, after all, inflation, like a recession, is only temporary.

Well.... actually.... that's true.  No economic situation lasts forever.

Oh, thank God. Maybe we will even see some results before a recession hits.

I suspect we are more likely to see the University of Oklahoma win the Super Bowl.

One would like to think that with the President and his entire economic team working so diligently, maybe they could produce some result.

Anything they do now is not going to show results for several months.  Still...it would be nice to see them do something, so several months from now we might feel the effects.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Strange.  I thought the inflation reduction act solved that problem.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    2 years ago
I thought the inflation reduction act solved that problem.

That WAS the spin on that bill, wasn't it?

Got to credit Nancy with the big lie!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    2 years ago

Maybe 10 to 20 years down the road. If then.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

Since inflation is a world wide problem, and the severity of it has just been indicated by the joint meeting of the IMF and the World Bank, I'm curious to know what the plan of the Republicans is to show how the exceptional USA can defeat it.  Surely they must have a plan to counter whatever Biden might do.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    2 years ago

You do understand that Biden and Democrats control things, I hope.

Biden isn't worried, it's just temporary, and besides, it's all Putin's fault anyway.

Democrats were awfully proud of the Inflation Reduction Act, perhaps you should ask THEM why it doesn't seem to be working.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    2 years ago
Biden and Democrats control things ...

Note Buzz' opening:

Buzz @3Since inflation is a world wide problem, ...

How is it that the USA (or, even better, the current PotUS or the D party) control global inflation??

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    2 years ago
Note Buzz' opening:

How's about just for shits and giggles, you assume I read what the fuck I respond to for a change, hmm?

How is it that the USA (or, even better, the current PotUS or the D party) control global inflation??

Who said they did? I mean, what is the point of the Democrats bragging about the Inflation Reduction Act if it does no good?

Biden has been saying for over a year it is just temporary. Well, recessions and depressions are temporary too, but that doesn't mean we should just accept them with nothing done.

Never mind, we have been told it is all Putin's fault anyway, so who cares, right?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    2 years ago
you assume I read what the fuck I respond to

That would be a bizarre assumption given Buzz (correctly) noted in his opening words that inflation is a global issue and you reply speaking of Biden and Ds as being in control.

If this    is not clear, I encourage Buzz to explain his point to you himself.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.3    2 years ago

Hate to break the news,  but Biden and the Democrats ARE in control, allegedly.

Talk to Buzz if you didn't understand what he wrote, I got it fine the first time and certainly don't need any advice from you.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.4    2 years ago
Hate to break the news,  but Biden and the Democrats ARE in control, allegedly.

Biden and the Ds are in control of the global economy??

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.6  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.5    2 years ago
Biden and the Ds are in control of the global economy??

If THAT is what you 'think' you read, I  would encourage you to read the post again and again if necessary until you can understand what I wrote.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.6    2 years ago

I can understand why you ignored the last sentence in my comment - you wouldn't want to admit that the Republicans can't possibly do anything better about inflation and impending recession than Biden could do.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.7    2 years ago

Tex, it's not necessary for the Republicans to be in control to have a plan to show that they can handle inflation better than Biden, so what is it, besides criticizing everything that Biden does?  I'm waiting.  In fact I'll bet a lot of Americans are waiting to hear it.  My question is clear, understandable and absolute, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't just deflect or whatabout or anything other than answer it.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.8    2 years ago

They have nothing Buzz. Just complaints and saying they will fix it all.

How? That remains a mystery...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.10  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.9    2 years ago

Okay. let's hear what Biden has effectively done.

Should I wait?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.11  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.8    2 years ago

Biden and his Administration said they are working on it and will get it under control.

Why do you have a problem with the party that doesn't control anything, but seem happy to ignore what the President says and does?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.12  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    2 years ago
How is it that the USA (or, even better, the current PotUS or the D party) #2f00ff;" >control global inflation??

They/we most definitely have influence over it.  We are the largest economy in the world, and larger than numbers 2 and 3 combined.  Biden and Co. have both regulatory and budgetary control. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.13  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.12    2 years ago

Influence yes, control no.

Look at the language used.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.12    2 years ago

So you think less regulation would reduce inflation?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.15  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.13    2 years ago
Influence yes, control no.

Which is why I said influence instead of control.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.16  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @3.1.14    2 years ago
So you think less regulation would reduce inflation?

Asking the question as though we only have two choices is a bit strange.

In some cases, absolutely we need less regulation.  In some cases we need intelligent regulation instead of the moronic nonsense we have.  In some cases current regs are fine.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.17  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.16    2 years ago

I have to ask, how would deregulation slow inflation?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.18  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.11    2 years ago

Not so, Tex.  I have stated on this site that I'm NOT happy with Biden for reasons indicated, just as I have done the same with Trump.  However, I have ALSO approved certain things that BOTH of them have done.  My criticisms and cheers are NOT based on party politics like yours are, but on what as being a person independent of American politics sees as detrimental or beneficial.  But don't expect me to comment one way or the other on EVERY damn thing a POTUS does or doesn't do.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.19  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.15    2 years ago

I know.   I acknowledged ‘influence’ while noting that my objection was to the ‘control’ as claimed in this thread.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.20  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @3.1.17    2 years ago
have to ask, how would deregulation slow inflation?

Regulation is almost always inflationary.  It increases the cost of producing goods or providing services.

That's not to say regulation itself is inherently bad, or that it should all be abolished.  But it absolutely adds to costs in every business, which adds to the prices consumers pay.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.21  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1.20    2 years ago

I could say that everything adds cost to a business. From insurance to maintenance.

Regulation does not necessarily add cost.

Deregulating industry and letting them do as they please will not help anyone.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.22  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @3.1.21    2 years ago
The study also reveals the extent to which manufacturers bear a disproportionate share of the regulatory burden, and that burden is heaviest on small manufacturers because their compliance costs are often not affected by economies of scale. The analysis finds that the average U.S. company pays $9,991 per employee per year to comply with federal regulations. The average manufacturer in the United States pays nearly double that amount—$19,564 per employee per year. Small manufacturers, or those with fewer than 50 employees, incur regulatory costs of $34,671 per employee per year. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.23  Ender  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.22    2 years ago

So a pdf from the manufacturers association that says they need less federal regulation....

Yeah, ok.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.24  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @3.1.23    2 years ago
So a pdf from the manufacturers association that says they need less federal regulation....

Sorry, I looked but couldn't find a PDF from the federal regulators association showing that regulations don't necessarily add cost.  Maybe you can find one.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.25  Ender  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.24    2 years ago

So if we have had the same regulations for years, if not decades, they are not to blame for current inflation.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.26  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @3.1.21    2 years ago
I could say that everything adds cost to a business. From insurance to maintenance.

Insurance and maintenance are not directly imposed by government agencies.

Regulation does not necessarily add cost.

I did say "almost always", but I am curious...  what regulations do you think can be followed without cost?

Deregulating industry and letting them do as they please will not help anyone.

Again.. I'm sure you were reading carefully so I'm sure you noticed the part where I said "regulation is not inherently bad".

dennissmith
Freshman Silent
3.2  dennissmith  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    2 years ago

There is little the Repubs can do as long as Biden is POTUS, they will however be able to, after the mid terms keep Biden from more failed policies and reckless spending. When a Repub is elected POTUS in 2024, they will be able to counter the damage he has done.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  dennissmith @3.2    2 years ago

Yeah, politicians are known for doing such good things for our nation.   Just have an election and all will be well.   256

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dennissmith @3.2    2 years ago

LOL.  It doesn't matter if Biden is POTUS, or Emperor of the World, or Jesus Christ or God Himself, because it doesn't mean the Republicans can't have a plan to fix the inflation.  But take note that the right-wingers are doing everything they can to deflect and not answer that question, why?  BECAUSE NOT ONLY DO THEY NOT HAVE A PLAN BUT THEY KNOW THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING BETTER THAN BIDEN IS DOING.  Face it, righties.  Tell the fucking truth for a change.

dennissmith
Freshman Silent
3.2.3  dennissmith  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.1    2 years ago

Many politicians have done good things for America. Just not the current politicians in power.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2.4  TᵢG  replied to  dennissmith @3.2.3    2 years ago
Just not the current politicians in power.

Those to which I was referring to (collectively:  since some (precious few) of them are indeed good)

dennissmith
Freshman Silent
3.2.5  dennissmith  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.2    2 years ago

Why would the Repubs divluge any plan to fix inflation when they are 2+ years from having the power to do anything?

As with all politicians they will reveal it during the 2024 presidential campaign. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2.6  TᵢG  replied to  dennissmith @3.2.5    2 years ago
Why would the Repubs divluge any plan to fix inflation when they are 2+ years from having the power to do anything?

They are arguably going to be the party in power as a result of the midterms.    If so, they would be able to act very soon.   

Plus, having a plan would have gone a long way towards shoring up support.   It is possible that they will fail to secure power so a persuasive platform would be very smart to have.

Finally, a good plan does not just pop out of thin air.   These things take time to prepare and to secure support.   The GoP is waaaaay behind already.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Ender  replied to  dennissmith @3.2.5    2 years ago

Sounds like you are saying that if they divulged a plan the Dems would use it.

If that is indeed what you are saying, then that means they are holding the country hostage until they get elected.

They don't care about doing anything about the economy unless they are in power.

Sounds an awful lot like them not caring about the country at all, just themselves and their ambitions...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.8  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.1    2 years ago
Just have an election and all will be well.

That is what the Democrats say every election. Along with the threat to democracy crap they spew.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2.9  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.8    2 years ago

Yeah well it is demonstrably wrong for anyone to hold that a particular party will make everything good.

How long, across how many changes in power, have we heard that Social Security will be fixed?

Presume every politician is full of shit and will state whatever rhetoric they believe is politically advantageous until they demonstrate otherwise.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.10  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.6    2 years ago
Finally, a good plan does not just pop out of thin air.   These things take time to prepare and to secure support.   The GoP is waaaaay behind already.

Does Biden have a plan?

Hell, he kept saying it was just temporary!

And please don't hold up the Inflation Reduction Act as a "plan".

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.9    2 years ago
How long, across how many changes in power, have we heard that Social Security will be fixed?

Why do you think that it is broken?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2.12  TᵢG  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.2.11    2 years ago

There is so much material on this, I will encourage you to just read for yourself.   Here is a starting point: 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.13  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.9    2 years ago
Yeah well it is demonstrably wrong for anyone to hold that a particular party will make everything good.

Okay. Here is a quote from the article:

Nice to see you disagree with them.

Lots. Social Security is an ongoing thing. Inflation at high rates is not an all-the-time thing.

Presume every politician is full of shit and will state whatever rhetoric they believe is politically advantageous until they demonstrate otherwise.

Well, no shit. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2.14  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.12    2 years ago

Thanks, but I remain mystified.  Some have told me that it its a pay as you go system, others have said that it has run surpluses for decades and those savings plus growing interest are in a lock box somewhere.  What gives?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.15  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.2.11    2 years ago
Why do you think that it is broken?

It was designed as too much like a Ponzi scheme. A constant, ever-growing influx of payers (workers) is required to "pay off" (SS taxes) the earlier "investors" (SS beneficiaries).  When the number of workers slip, fewer dollars will be available for beneficiaries. 

SS expanded far beyond the original idea, unfortunately. 

SS was always supposed to be a supplement to retirement income, but has become the main source instead for far too many people.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2.16  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.13    2 years ago
Well, no shit. 

If that is what you believed you would not be a partisan.

Lots. Social Security is an ongoing thing. Inflation at high rates is not an all-the-time thing.

You point out a difference between SS and Inflation while agreeing with my point.   

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.17  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.16    2 years ago
If that is what you believed you would not be a partisan.

I, of course, will leave it to you to decide what I think, believe, say, and do.

Just easier.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.18  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.16    2 years ago
You point out a difference between SS and Inflation while agreeing with my point.

I agreed that we have heard many politicians say about 'fixing' SS.

I pointed out that we aren't exactly comparing the same two things. I am surprised you missed that.

Agreeing with one thing you wrote and pointing out a difference are two distinct things.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2.19  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.15    2 years ago
It was designed as too much like a Ponzi scheme.

Ponzi sounds Italian and I know the damage that Christopher Columbus brought.

When the number of workers slip, fewer dollars will be available for beneficiaries. 

Since our native born are less virile than previous, maybe we need to let more migrants in at least until I die and no longer draw SS.

George
Junior Expert
3.2.20  George  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.17    2 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.21  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.2.19    2 years ago

Well, look at the beginning of it.

Once we began to pay people more than they paid in, it was doomed to fail at some point or another, unless massive amounts of new taxes were collected. And paying people out in today's dollars when they paid into SS in last 45-50 years dollars doesn't help.

Just think, with the new increase in SS, the high rates of inflation, longer life expectancy, fewer workers paying into the system, the expected date of SS going broke will potentially come much faster than they thought.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.22  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  George @3.2.20    2 years ago

I know, I have been told many times.

Some folks don't really need an opponent to debate.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2.23  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.21    2 years ago
Once we began to pay people more than they paid in, it was doomed to fail at some point or another, unless massive amounts of new taxes were collected.

We need to make the young pay their fair share and keep this program solvent for at least 25 more years.  Then I'm 93 or dead and don't really give a shit.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.24  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.2.23    2 years ago
We need to make the young pay their fair share and keep this program solvent for at least 25 more years.  Then I'm 93 or dead and don't really give a shit.

Yep!

34 more months til I retire.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2.25  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.24    2 years ago

I'm 18 months out from 70 and then I think that I'll check out and join the historically low labor force participation rate.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.2.26  Jack_TX  replied to  dennissmith @3.2    2 years ago
When a Repub is elected POTUS in 2024, they will be able to counter the damage he has done.  

There is usually a substantial difference between what people are "able" to do and what they actually do.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.27  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dennissmith @3.2.5    2 years ago

Sure, Dennis, that's just the way to keep secrets and prevent progress.  Preventing progress through non-cooperation is a great way to turn your nation to shit. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.28  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @3.2.7    2 years ago

Right on, Ender.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3.3  Sunshine  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    2 years ago
I'm curious to know what the plan of the Republicans is to show how the exceptional USA can defeat it. 

Here you go.  Not that difficult to find.

One-Pager: Steps to Fight Biden-flation - Ways and Means Republicans (house.gov)

But Biden has got it all handled.  Why do Republicans need a plan?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Ender  replied to  Sunshine @3.3    2 years ago

Lower taxes and drill baby drill....

Broken record.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.3.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @3.3.1    2 years ago
Broken record.

Exactly and any day now the Inflation Reduction Act will take off and bring back Happy Days are Here Again.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.3.2    2 years ago

Isn't it damn funny that the same folks bitching about the GOP not having a plan completely ignore the party in power not having one either?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.3.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.3    2 years ago
Isn't it damn funny

Sorry, but I'm not laughing.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.5  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.3    2 years ago

You should be upset that neither party has an effective plan.   And this applies in general.   The only plans that come from our worthless political parties are fundamentally designed to further the power and influence of the party.   Whether or not the plan actually accomplishes what it is touted to do is irrelevant because the electorate always forgets and 'moves on' and does not hold the parties accountable in the long term.

That is why this 'my party is better than yours' thinking is misguided.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.3.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.5    2 years ago
It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to
Cry if I want to
Cry if I want to
You would cry too, if it happened to you

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.7  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.5    2 years ago
You should be upset that neither party has an effective plan.   And this applies in general.

Oh.

That doesn't seem to jibe with this:

Note Buzz' opening:
Buzz@3☞Since inflation is a world wide problem, ...
How is it that the USA (or, even better, the current PotUS or the D party)controlglobal inflation??

Probably just me.

That is why this 'my party is better than yours' thinking is misguided.

That's kind of crazy.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.8  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.7    2 years ago
That doesn't seem to jibe with this:

Sure it does, if you think that the USA can address worldwide inflation then you should be upset that neither party has a plan to do so.

Note how I used Social Security when I offered an example rather than inflation.  (hint)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.9  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @3.3.8    2 years ago
Sure it does, if you think that the USA can address worldwide inflation then you should be upset that neither party has a plan to do so.

No.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.3.12  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

Sad thing is you actually think drilling for more oil will lower prices...

Ender
Professor Principal
3.3.13  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

Where do you think most of the products people buy come from?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.3.16  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

You seem to think that a drilling permit will mean they will run out and drill...

Ender
Professor Principal
3.3.17  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

I have no idea what you even mean by that.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.18  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sunshine @3.3    2 years ago

Thanks, Sunshine.  So that's the plan?  I assume the Democrats have considered the consequences of those items and have concluded that the effects would be worse than the inflation, and if they have not considered them at all then what the hell?  As the IMF has said, things are going to get worse so as the Boy Scouts say, "Be prepared".  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.19  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.18    2 years ago

Well, what I've concluded is that the dictator to the world as to what the International Rules Order must be, the provider of sanctions (that create greater harm than good) to those who don't comply, the World's Policeman, the unbeatable military might of the planet Earth is tantamount to "All the King's horses and all the King's men can't put Humpty Dumpty (the world economy) back together again."

As Liam Neeson heard on the phone from one of the kidnappers of his daughter, when Neeson said: "I will look for you. I will find you. and I will kill you."  The reply?  "Good luck."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    2 years ago
I'm curious to know what the plan of the Republicans is to show how the exceptional USA can defeat it.  Surely they must have a plan to counter whatever Biden might do.  

Why?

Your first assumption is dead wrong. Biden was warned about stimulus spending. He kept going. He singned into law over $3 Trillion in his first year alone. Larry Summers told him what would happen!  Then you have Biden's energy policy which also sent prices soaring. So if one feels as I do, that Biden's policies caused inflation, why would anyone require "a plan" from the opposition to vote for them. It's really about voting the bums out.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.4    2 years ago

I see, so you're saying their plan is to get rid of Biden.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.4.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.1    2 years ago

Their plan is to restore what Biden destroyed.

Biden has no chance of being re-elected.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.4.2    2 years ago

Biden caused the world-wide inflation?  He may have exacerbated it by continually pouring gasoline on the flames in Ukraine.  What else did he destroy?  Will the Republicans try to repair the damage the Biden administration has done to the U.S. relationship with China?  Biden could get re-elected in 2024 if the Republicans run Margery (Marjorie?) Taylor Green as their candidate, I think.