╌>

Media Declining To Report On Major News Story Unsure Why Americans Going To Alternative Sources For News | Babylon Bee

Category:  Satire

Via:  texan1211  •  2 years ago  •  17 comments

By:   The Babylon Bee

Media Declining To Report On Major News Story Unsure Why Americans Going To Alternative Sources For News | Babylon Bee
NEW YORK, NY - Several media leaders who have declined to report on major news stories damaging to the Democratic Party gathered in New York to express concern, frustration, and puzzlement over Americans increasingly going to alternative sources for news.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Media Declining To Report On Major News Story Unsure Why Americans Going To Alternative Sources For News U.S. · Dec 6, 2022 · BabylonBee.com

NEW YORK, NY - Several media leaders who have declined to report on major news stories damaging to the Democratic Party gathered in New York to express concern, frustration, and puzzlement over Americans increasingly going to alternative sources for news.

"I'm not sure what's going on," said MSNBC's Chris Hayes, speaking at the private weekend meeting. "If I decline to cover something, you just have to trust me that I'm doing that for your own good. You don't need to go to Twitter, Substack, or Facebook to find out for yourself. It's concerning."

Other media anchors, columnists, and journalists echoed Hayes' sentiment. "The Hunter Biden story stunk to high heaven," said a leading Washington Post columnist who chooses to remain anonymous. "So I ignored it. Now, maybe it turns out the laptop was real. But that's something for a journalist to decide months or years later, not for ordinary Americans to look into at the time."

Several media experts have expressed concern about the implications of Americans going to alternative sources for news. "Dangerous things can happen if we keep heading down this path," said Zuri Waldorf, a media studies professor at Harvard. "People might begin to question media narratives. Some might even develop original thoughts. It's frightening."

Several attendees at the media summit proposed solutions to the problem of Americans getting their news outside of CNN, MSNBC, the New York Times, and the Washington Post, such as banning Twitter or amending the First Amendment to only include trusted journalistic sources chosen by the Democratic Party.

At publishing time, the gathered journalists went on to express their concerns on Twitter.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago
Other media anchors, columnists, and journalists echoed Hayes' sentiment. "The Hunter Biden story stunk to high heaven," said a leading Washington Post columnist who chooses to remain anonymous. "So I ignored it. Now, maybe it turns out the laptop was real. But that's something for a journalist to decide months or years later, not for ordinary Americans to look into at the time."

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

It is amazing the watch the MSM destroy itself in real time.  They don't even try and hide their partisanship.  

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    2 years ago

Do you often fail to recognize bad satire and become agitated by it? 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  JBB @2.1    2 years ago

If right wingers find an article that pushes one of their conspiracy theories, they will use it no matter if it is satire or even outright false.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @2.1    2 years ago
you often fail to recognize bad satire and become agitated by it?

Stick to pictures. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.3  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.2    2 years ago

I must take that as a "Yes" given you left me no alternative!

George
Sophomore Expert
2.1.4  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.2    2 years ago
Stick to pictures.

That somebody else makes.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.5  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @2.1    2 years ago

Seems far more likely that liberals are having difficulty recognizing satire.

Just based on the reactions from them every time some satire is posted.

They are the ones usually agitated and screeching "That's not satire!!"

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.2  afrayedknot  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    2 years ago

“…watch the MSM destroy itself in real time.”

Two words: tucker carlson

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  afrayedknot @2.2    2 years ago

You think Tucker Carlson is part of the MSM? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2.1    2 years ago

Fox News has been the number one cable news channel for 20 years and you think they are not MSM?

What is the MSM other than whatever you dont agree with? 

Is the New York Post mainstream media?  Wall St Journal?   Owned by the same corporation as Fox News.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.2.3  afrayedknot  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2.1    2 years ago

“…part of the MSM?”

Perhaps you can define that for us?

Don’t forget how often the Fox ‘news’ ratings have been cited hereabouts, and considering the crux of the satire is based on a Chris Hayes commentary. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.2    2 years ago

been the number one cable news channel for 20 years and you think they are not MSM?

Do you think Tucker Carlson portrays himself as unbiased journalist? 

I thought the distinction between an opinion pundit and journalist is pretty obvious. Apparently not. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  afrayedknot @2.2.3    2 years ago

This  definition seems pretty straightforward. 

MSM means “mainstream media.” It is often used to describe media outlets, like newspapers and news shows, that are widely viewed and accepted by most people and that are generally seen as reliable. Some people believe they are all skewed either right or left, in terms of political viewpoints, but they all claim to be neutral.

Do you think Tucker Carlson claims to be politically neutral? 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.2.6  afrayedknot  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2.5    2 years ago

“…politically neutral?”

More politically neutered…at least to those that have a scintilla of discernment. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2.4    2 years ago
Do you think Tucker Carlson portrays himself as unbiased journalist? 

I really dont care what he portrays himself as. "Conservatives" want to use "mainstream media" as a pejorative, and in order to do that they have to exclude "their" side. Tucker Carlson works for a huge media conglomerate that features numerous news outlets. Fox News and everyone who works there are part of the mainstream media. But if Tucker Carlson is so fringy, why does his audience claim to be the majority opinion about things?  

74 million people voted for Trump and its likely that many of them watch Fox News , either regularly or from time to time. What is not mainstream about that? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

65 Years ago, when I was Editor-in-Chief of my university weekly newspaper we used The Christian Science Monitor as our model for content and format, because it was a consistent winner back then of an award for being the least biased newspaper in America.  For quite a long time that prize has not been awarded, for obvious reasons.   I suppose that now people have such an expanded choice for learning the news, they tend to go to the source with the bias that most matches their own, because the truth and lack of bias can no longer be consistently found anywhere.