╌>

Good Luck Mr. Gorsky

Category:  The Lighter Side/ Humor

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  last year  •  3 comments

Good Luck Mr. Gorsky

Good Luck Mr. Gorsky

IN CASE YOU DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW THIS LITTLE TIDBIT OF WONDERFUL TRIVIA...............

ON JULY 20, 1969, AS COMMANDER OF THE APOLLO 11 LUNAR MODULE, NEIL ARMSTRONG WAS THE FIRST PERSON TO SET FOOT ON THE MOON.

HIS FIRST WORDS AFTER STEPPING ON THE MOON,

"THAT'S ONE SMALL STEP FOR MAN, ONE GIANT LEAP FOR MANKIND," WERE TELEVISED TO EARTH AND HEARD BY MILLIONS.

BUT, JUST BEFORE HE RE-ENTERED THE LANDER, HE MADE THE ENIGMATIC REMARK "GOOD LUCK, MR. GORSKY."

MANY PEOPLE AT NASA THOUGHT IT WAS A CASUAL REMARK CONCERNING SOME RIVAL SOVIET COSMONAUT.

HOWEVER, UPON CHECKING, THERE WAS NO GORSKY IN EITHER THE RUSSIAN OR AMERICAN SPACE PROGRAMS.

OVER THE YEARS, MANY PEOPLE QUESTIONED ARMSTRONG AS TO WHAT THE 'GOOD LUCK, MR. GORSKY' STATEMENT MEANT, BUT ARMSTRONG ALWAYS JUST SMILED.

ON JULY 5, 1995, IN TAMPA BAY, FLORIDA, WHILE ANSWERING QUESTIONS FOLLOWING A SPEECH, A REPORTER BROUGHT UP THE 26-YEAR-OLD QUESTION ABOUT MR.GORSKY AND

THIS TIME HE FINALLY RESPONDED BECAUSE HIS MR. GORSKY HAD JUST DIED, SO NEIL ARMSTRONG FELT HE COULD NOW ANSWER THE QUESTION.

HERE IS THE ANSWER TO "WHO WAS MR. GORSKY?":

IN 1938, WHEN HE WAS A KID IN A SMALL MID-WESTERN TOWN , HE WAS PLAYING BASEBALL WITH A FRIEND IN THE BACKYARD.

HIS FRIEND HIT THE BALL, WHICH LANDED IN HIS NEIGHBOR'S YARD BY THEIR BEDROOM WINDOW.

HIS NEIGHBORS WERE MR. AND MRS. GORSKY.

AS HE LEANED DOWN TO PICK UP THE BALL, YOUNG ARMSTRONG HEARD MRS. GORSKY SHOUTING AT MR. GORSKY,

"SEX! YOU WANT SEX?! YOU'LL GET SEX WHEN THE KID NEXT DOOR WALKS ON THE MOON!"

IT BROKE THE PLACE UP.

NEIL ARMSTRONG'S FAMILY CONFIRMED THAT THIS IS A TRUE STORY.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    last year

Even though it SAYS it's a true story, who knows for sure?"  But it IS funny.

Something that has always puzzled me.  Since using the word "man" which in the context of Armstrong's statement still means "mankind" I don't understand why the repetition.  There was some static with that broadcast and I was sure that what he actually said was "That's one small step for a man (meaning himself), one giant leap for mankind", with static covering the word "a".  To me that makes so much more sense.  Has that ever been clarified?

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.1  TTGA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    last year

Actually, I think your explanation makes a lot of sense Buzz.  I heard it when it was said and the radio had a lot of static. 

When I heard it, I was on a Chicago and Northwestern passenger train between Kenosha, WI and the Naval Training Center in North Chicago, IL.  I was returning to the base after a weekend liberty in Kenosha and the conductor brought a radio into the car.  Pretty sure that I was the only one in the car sober enough to pay attention.  I was there visiting my girl friend.  I've often said that, during that four month period, I came back from Kenosha with a lot of hangovers and a wife.  The hangovers are gone now, the wife is still here 52 years later.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @1.1    last year

I found the answer, Rock.  

Millions on Earth who gathered around the TV and radio heard Armstrong say this: “That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” But after returning from space, he immediately insisted that he had been  misquoted . He said there was a lost word in his famous one-liner from the moon: “That's one small step for ‘a' man."
I was right. He DID say "That's one small step for A man..."
By the way, congrats for sticking it out with the same woman for more than half a century.  I couldn't last more than 34 years with my first wife, but my present wife is the one who will eventually be my widow.