╌>

Don’t Take Your Eye Off Jack Smith

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  hallux  •  last year  •  81 comments

By:   David A. Graham - The Atlantic

Don’t Take Your Eye Off Jack Smith
The classified-documents scandal is continuing to look worse and worse for Donald Trump.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Manhattan, as always, likes to take the glory. But Washington is where the real power resides.

Donald Trump knows that—there’s a   reason he left New York   to go into politics. It’s also a good way to think about the news around Trump this week. The eyes of the world will be on Manhattan, where the former president is expected to be arraigned tomorrow morning. But the clearest threat to Trump is quietly still the one posed by the Justice Department’s investigation into his handling of classified documents.

What exactly Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg has on Trump is expected to become public when the indictment is unsealed, which may be tomorrow. The strength of the case, which public evidence suggests relates to the 2016 payment of hush money to the adult-film actor Stormy Daniels, is unclear. Some legal observers worry that the case depends too much on novel or tenuous legal theories. But even if it is strong, it is an odd (and old) footnote to Trump’s worst behavior once he was elected president.

David A. Graham: A guide to the possible indictments of Donald Trump

The documents matter is different. Unlike the DOJ probe into Trump’s attempts to steal the 2020 election (which, like the documents investigation, is being run by Special Counsel Jack Smith) or an investigation into the 2020 election in Fulton County, Georgia, it does not cut straight to Trump’s worst damage to American democracy. Yet absconding with presidential records is a crime that only a high-ranking official like the president could commit. Beyond that, the case has long appeared to be the most straightforward to prosecute,   as I explained in January . The law is simple, and the general outline is clear: Trump took the documents, and he refused to give them back when asked.

An   eye-opening new report in   The Washington Post   underscores the strength of the possible case against Trump—and in particular the suggestion that he has tried to obstruct the investigation.

As has now become clear, classified documents do occasionally end up in former officials’ possession, as in other recent cases involving President Joe Biden and former Vice President Mike Pence. Many officials caught with such documents complain that they are victims of overclassification, but the law is the law. Even so, two things set Trump’s situation apart: First, the documents are extremely sensitive,   reportedly   covering nuclear secrets and programs aimed at China and Iran. Second, when the government asked Trump for the documents, he (unlike Biden and Pence) refused to hand them over. This truculence is why the FBI ended up making an unannounced search in August, which turned up more than 100 documents marked classified.

Quinta Jurecic: An astonishing, frightening first for the country

According to   the new report : “Federal investigators have gathered new and significant evidence that after the subpoena was delivered, Trump looked through the contents of some of the boxes of documents in his home, apparently out of a desire to keep certain things in his possession, the people familiar with the investigation   said.”

If true and provable, that would be a major development. Trump has tried to muddy the waters related to the documents. He has argued that the papers he took belonged to him. Questions also exist about who actually moved documents and what Trump knew about what was in them, and he has historically been clever about maintaining a veneer of deniability. But evidence that shows that Trump personally went through the documents after the subpoena would strongly suggest that obstruction had taken place and set the case even further apart from other classified-material probes. No legal theory suggests that the target of a subpoena can pick and choose whether to comply with some parts and not others.

This is just one newspaper report, of course. But it sounds a lot like something Trump would do, doesn’t it? In fact, he has already all but confirmed it. During an interview last month, Fox News’s Sean Hannity tried to inoculate Trump, who instead  eagerly incriminated himself .

Read: Process crimes and misdemeanors

“I can’t imagine you ever saying, ‘Bring me some of the boxes that we brought back from the White House. I’d like to look at them,’” Hannity said. “Did you ever do that?”

“I would have the right to do that,” Trump replied. “There’s nothing wrong with—”

“I don’t think you   would   do it,” Hannity pleaded.

“Well, I don’t have a lot of time, but I would have the right to do that. I   would   do that,” Trump said. “There would be nothing wrong.”

Hannity, perhaps sensing danger, tried to change the topic, but Trump charged ahead. He noted that the estate of Richard Nixon ended up   receiving $18 million   in a federal settlement over presidential records. (Left unsaid: that Nixon’s misdeeds were a catalyst for changing the law on records to what exists now.) So Trump has already said he’d do exactly the sort of obstruction suggested, and he’s provided a profit motive.

Smith’s probe has perhaps gotten less attention than the others because, like Robert Mueller before him, he has overseen an investigation with few leaks. Mueller, too, ended up zeroing in on obstruction, and provided clear evidence that Trump had obstructed justice— though he refused to say so plainly   or bring charges, citing DOJ guidance against indicting a sitting president. Smith faces no such procedural hurdle.

At the time of the Mueller probe, Trump’s defenders took to writing off any instances of obstruction  as mere “process crimes,”  as though some crimes are somehow not really crimes. Often, prosecutors do bring obstruction charges when the act impedes prosecuting an underlying crime. But in this case, obstruction is not just an effort to avoid prosecution; it’s a perpetuation of the crime itself—keeping the documents. Smith has an opportunity to recognize that and act where the previous special counsel couldn’t or wouldn’t.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    last year

Alternate headline: MAN BITES SELF, DOG DIES

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Hallux @1    last year

Friday....

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    last year

Is that when the weekly 'libs had a horrible week' is posted?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1.1.1    last year

LOL

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.3  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    last year

trump found out yesterday afternoon the court ruled his aides are not protected by executive privilege, and a few days earlier, neither are his secret service detail.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @1.1.1    last year

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.5  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.1.3    last year

and his lawyer for it just recused himself...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  devangelical @1.1.5    last year

Another rat, jumping ship.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.7  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.6    last year

trump sure is putting a dent in the number of lawyers still able to practice law in the US...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.8  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.1.7    last year

too bad...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  devangelical @1.1.7    last year

Well, they should have paid attention in their ethics courses.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @1    last year

He's pure as the driven snow I tell ya!

Never done nothin' wrong his whole life!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1.2    last year

hopefully he'll pull all of his defective spawn into the shitter with him...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.2.1    last year

... and the DOJ flushes it.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.3  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.2.2    last year

...slide down a few miles of pipe and then be among his true constituency.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.4  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.2.3    last year

... the essence of maga.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.5  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.2.4    last year

... laying on the floor of the swamp.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    last year

Trump called Jack Smith a "lunatic" a few minutes ago. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @2    last year

Why do you listen to what he has to say?  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @2.1    last year

Because he's going to be the GOP candidate for president next year.

Why do you not listen to him? 

The idea that Trump will just go away if people just ignore him has been a disaster for this country. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    last year

I don't listen to him as I don't support him and don't feel that listening to him is a good use of my time.  Trump won't go away until he loses the election.

You wanna be careful there, someone may accuse you of supporting Trump with talk like this...  You've accused others of supporting Trump for less..

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.2    last year

lol.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.2    last year

Trump won't go away until he loses the election.

Have you been living under a rock since he lost the last election?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.4    last year

Trump wont go away until he dies.  If things keep up some people will start praying for it. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.6  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.5    last year

He might go away if he loses the 2024 election.  If he tries to run in 2028 he will be 82 on election day and would he be willing and able to run a campaign at that point?  I believe people are ready for the next generation to come up and start running things.

This indictment from Bragg might just be rocket fuel for his primary campaign and bring him in as the Republican nominee in 2024 but I do not see him as being able to win the general unless Biden is indeed the Democrat nominee.  IMO Biden got lucky in 2020 as there were more people  who voted against Trump but after the past couple of years Biden won't have that advantage and a lot of people will be critical of him in the next election.  Not that I want to see either one of them on the ticket...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.6    last year
in 2024 but I do not see him as being able to win the general unless Biden is indeed the Democrat nominee. 

Donald Trump, not Joe Biden tried to overthrow the 2020 election and thus the US government. 

And yet you suggest there are circumstances under which he would be acceptable for another term. This is THE problem. People like you cannot stop trying to make excuses for keeping this traitor in the political limelight. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but Biden. 

Nope. This is all about trump. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.7    last year
Donald Trump, not Joe Biden tried to overthrow the 2020 election and thus the US government. 

[Deleted]

And yet you suggest there are circumstances under which he would be acceptable for another term.

Over Brandon the Human Fuck Up Machine; and Democrats? You better believe it.

This is THE problem. People like you cannot stop trying to make excuses for keeping this traitor in the political limelight. 

No, the problem is Democrats and the people that support them completely ignoring what a dumpster fire they have turned this country into.

Brandon the Human Fuck Up Machine will not be able to hide in his basement this time. He has an abysmal record that he will not be allowed to hide from. Open border allowing illegal immigrants, drugs, guns, slave/sex trafficking, and terrorists across. Inflation and high fuel prices that won't go away no matter how much Brandon claims otherwise. Throw in crime; Ukraine (hell anything dealing with foreign policy and Brandon fucks it up); and our wonderful two tier justice system. 

[Deleted]

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.9  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.7    last year

And yet you suggest there are circumstances under which he would be acceptable for another term. This is THE problem. People like you cannot stop trying to make excuses for keeping this traitor in the political limelight. 

Don't let  your obsession with Trump get in the way of what I actually said.  I've said in the past that I do not support him and cannot vote for him.  But if somehow both he and Biden end up as the nominees I do not believe it will be as easy this time for Biden to win based on the past couple of years.  Throw in a possible recession and it becomes a rather tough hill for Biden to win.  And that's all I said.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.9    last year

Why, you dastardly Trump DEFENDER, you!

Shame, shame!!

LOL!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.11  TᵢG  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.8    last year

Get a grip.   That level of emotional hyperbole is not going to persuade anyone (at least not in the direction you desire).

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.12  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.11    last year

[Deleted

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.13  Snuffy  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.10    last year

Oh damn..  you got me...   LOL

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.12    last year

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.13    last year

Thought I'd beat the usual suspects to the punch!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.16  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.14    last year

No, actually I've seen this movie before. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.17  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.4    last year

He won't ever go away, not until the day he dies.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.18  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.6    last year

So now he 'might' go away and not - he 'won't go away until he loses the election.'

jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.19  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.5    last year

I know lots of people wishing for it.  The things I've heard people wishing would happen to him I can't quote without getting suspended.

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.20  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.2    last year

Just always defending the indefensible

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.21  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.4    last year

Yeah, that just really sunk in - what has he been doing since he LOST THE LAST ELECTION FFS?jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.22  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.11    last year

I hardly ever read his rants that usually consist of Brandon and the human fuck up machine and TDS.  A complete waste of time.  Oh, and two-tier Democratic justice system.  And endless PD&D.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.23  Sunshine  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.8    last year
and our wonderful two tier justice system. 

No doubt we will be seeing federal indictments against Biden for stealing government property and hiding it all over the nation. 🙄

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.24  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Snuffy @2.1    last year

"...continuing to look worse and worse for Donald Trump."

That is if one is willing to take a opinion piece viewpoint from The Atlantic as a fair and non biased source. I won't do that.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.25  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.11    last year

... all the way down the rabbit hole.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.26  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @2.1.25    last year

head first.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.27  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.22    last year

they all start to sound like broken records...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @2    last year

No surprise there.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @2    last year

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.3    last year

[deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.3.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3.1    last year

[deleted]

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3  Snuffy    last year

I'm not so sure about the Jan 6th investigation side of this, not sure they can find anything definitive to charge him with there.  I always felt the strongest case would be obstruction around the classified documents.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1  evilone  replied to  Snuffy @3    last year

I concur. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.1  devangelical  replied to  evilone @3.1    last year

despite the legal activity to retrieve them, trump is still retaining classified documents. when jack smith finds them, again, I want to see trump jailed until a trial date is set for that crime.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.2  evilone  replied to  devangelical @3.1.1    last year
despite the legal activity to retrieve them, trump is still retaining classified documents.

I'm not aware of any classified material currently in Trump's possession... 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @3.1.2    last year

Facts rarely matter when the subject is Trump.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @3.1.2    last year

and you don't think they have anything on him for 1/6.

WOW

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.5  devangelical  replied to  evilone @3.1.2    last year

neither were his lawyers previous to the mar-a-lardo search warrant being executed ...

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  evilone @3.1.2    last year

When was the last time you were at Mar-a-lago?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.6    last year

Maybe it was near the same time the poster was there to verify that Trump still has documents??

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.8  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.7    last year

I'm willing to wager he does.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.9  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @3.1.8    last year

the only search warrant that we know of so far is the one trump has been fund raising off...

shona1
Professor Quiet
4  shona1    last year

Morning...fair dinkum...turn the tv on and what do I cop...bloody Trump!!! 😖😖😖

Why on earth we have to broadcast it I have no idea!!...I really don't give a flying fig ..this really is off like a bucket of prawns in the sun...

I need a coffee..it's too much for a koala to bare this hour of the morning...🐨🐨

Not a happy Vegemite.. surely there must be something else going on in the world...wars, earthquakes, tornadoes... hell I will even take COVID over political crud...😵‍💫😵‍💫

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  shona1 @4    last year
Why on earth we have to broadcast it I have no idea!!.

Much of the media cares mores about profits that integrity.

shona1
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  shona1  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1    last year

Morning drinker..fair enough put it on your TV channels etc as it is news..but to make it breaking news headlines here..our tv ex's should be shot...

I would rather watch paint dry.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  shona1 @4    last year

We had devestating tornadoes last Friday here in Arkansas. I had to take shelter twice at work. That's something as important as trmp, to me anyway

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2    last year

OMG.  There have been so many instances of deadly storms and tornadoes across so many states and terrible storms - I believe I've lost track of them - this is early and more severe than usual also regarding Spring storms and weather.

shona1
Professor Quiet
4.2.2  shona1  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2    last year

Morning Trouty....my rellie was actually in Arkansas the day it happened. He had just landed in Dallas met his girl friend then drove 5 hours to Arkansas for her to sit an Australian entrance exam.

She is looking to migrate here and it's part of the process. Another one to convert to speaking Aussie in no time..

They weren't in the area where the tornadoes were but it did create some concern down here when they mentioned Arkansas and then we saw it on TV...glad you are ok but the aftermath is truly devastating...lost souls and lost homes....

Now seeing that on TV here is breaking news and enough to stop you in your tracks and watch Mother Nature at her worst..but most fascinating.

We don't need to see some puffed up over stuffed turkey preening himself on our TV screens that has the relevance here of road kill... our TV mob should be fired for shoving it on...

Geez I need a coffee and I am not turning the TV on this morning..

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  shona1 @4.2.2    last year

I'm glad you're rellie and his girlfriend are ok.

I'm starting to get the hang of Aussie language just from reading your comments. :)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.1    last year

This spring has been bad...and it's not over

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.5  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.3    last year

you've already passed their driving test...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @4.2.5    last year

LOL!

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.7  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.6    last year

it's always fun to ask an aussie what part of britain they're from...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2    last year

Personally, I'd rather hear about those as well rather than Trump.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.9  devangelical  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.2.8    last year

yeah, he left a bad taste in a lot of GOP mouths...

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.10  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @4.2.9    last year

but the majority still love him...

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.11  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @4.2.10    last year

... and are used to spitting.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.12  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2    last year
We had devestating tornadoes last Friday here in Arkansas.

that had to be a horrible sight. the wind blowing 60+mph and all the goobers lining the streets with their pants unzipped...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  shona1 @4    last year

Even in Australia?  Jeez, if you have to put up with deadly spiders, snakes, and drop bears, surely you should get a pass from ever having to hear about Donald Trump except in a comedy routine?  I mean, I thought that would be one of the benefits of living down under.

shona1
Professor Quiet
4.3.1  shona1  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.3    last year

Morning Sandy...yes unfortunately we cop it down here as well...the tyranny of distance has failed us with technology..

Would rather go and clean a crocs teeth, swim with a shark, play with a snake or catch a drop bear than see that..🐨🦘

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.3.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  shona1 @4.3.1    last year

Nice thing about New Zealand when I lived there was that the only venemous critters were three varieties spiders, none of which whose bites were life threatening. They have sharks and jellyfish but I never went near the water. I loved New Zealand!

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.3.3  devangelical  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.3.2    last year

...nobody cares.