╌>

FBI arrests 21-year-old Air National Guardsman suspected of leaking classified documents

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  last year  •  104 comments

By:   Ken Dilanian, Michael Kosnar and Rebecca Shabad (NBC News)

FBI arrests 21-year-old Air National Guardsman suspected of leaking classified documents
Jack Teixeira, 21, a member of the Massachusetts Air National Guard was arrested Thursday in connection to the investigation of leaked classified documents.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON — Jack Teixeira, a 21-year-old member of the Massachusetts Air National Guard, was arrested by federal authorities Thursday in connection with their investigation into classified documents that were leaked on the internet.

FBI agents took Teixeira into custody Thursday afternoon "without incident," Attorney General Merrick Garland announced in brief remarks at the Justice Department, which has been conducting a criminal investigation.

"Today, the Justice Department arrested Jack Douglas Teixeira in connection with an investigation into alleged unauthorized removal, retention and transmission of classified national defense information. Teixeira is an employee of the United States Air Force National Guard," Garland said.

Teixeira will have an initial appearance in U.S. District Court for Massachusetts, said Garland, who added that the investigation is ongoing. He declined to take questions from the media.

230413-jack-teixeira-jm-2025-b2a988.jpg Jack Teixeira.via Facebook

FBI agents arrested Teixeira at a residence in North Dighton, Massachusetts, the bureau's office in Boston said in a statement. The residence is more than an hour from the military base where he worked.

"The FBI is continuing to conduct authorized law enforcement activity at the residence," the statement said. "Since late last week the FBI has aggressively pursued investigative leads, and today's arrest exemplifies our continued commitment to identifying, pursuing, and holding accountable those who betray our country's trust and put our national security at risk."

Military records show that Teixeira holds the rank of airman first class and has been in uniform since he entered the Air National Guard in September 2019. He has been based at Otis Air National Guard Base on Cape Cod and is assigned as a cyber transport systems journeyman.

A Facebook post in July from the 102nd Intelligence Wing, which is headquartered at that base, congratulated a person with Teixeira's name on a promotion to airman first class.

U.S. officials had been searching for the source of the leak, which exposed potentially hundreds of pages of intelligence about Russian efforts in Ukraine and spying on U.S. allies.

The Pentagon press secretary, Air Force Brig. Gen Pat Ryder, declined to confirm the suspect's identity at a briefing Thursday and referred reporters to the Justice Department because it's a "law enforcement matter" and an ongoing investigation, he said.

The Defense Department is "working around the clock" with the intelligence community, Ryder said, "to better understand the scope, scale of these leaks." Ryder also said the Pentagon is "very limited" in what it can say about the documents themselves.

1681412927089_n_jansing_brk_leak_suspect_arrest_230413_1920x1080-p2ybrl.jpg

Aerial video shows arrest of Pentagon leaks suspect

Asked about the intelligence activities of the Massachusetts Air National Guard, where Teixeira worked, Ryder said, "In general, intelligence wings throughout the Air Force support what you might imagine — Air Force intelligence requirements worldwide to support a variety of types of intelligence missions and requirements, which include active guard and reserve components."

The classified documents from the Defense Department were found online last month — how long they had been on the internet and the total number that have been posted remain unclear. They revealed details about U.S. spying on Russia's war efforts in Ukraine and secret assessments of Ukraine's combat power, as well as intelligence-gathering on America's allies, including South Korea and Israel, NBC News has reported.

President Joe Biden suggested Thursday morning that officials appeared to be nearing a breakthrough in their investigation.

"There's a full-blown investigation going on, as you know, with the Intelligence Committee and the Justice Department, and they're getting close," Biden told reporters in Ireland.

Two White House officials later confirmed that the president has been briefed about Teixeira's arrest.

The suspect's identity was first reported Thursday by The New York Times, which said he was the leader of a small online gaming group where the documents were first leaked.

The Washington Post has reported about the gaming group, identifying its leader only as "OG." The main source for the story was a member of the group on the platform Discord, a minor who was granted anonymity. The Post said it reviewed about 300 photos of classified documents the suspect is alleged to have leaked, most of which the report said have not been made public.

NBC News has not yet verified the details about the gaming group or that it was where the classified documents were first shared.

In a statement after Teixeira's arrest, Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Jack Reed said: "This was a major security breach that cannot be allowed to happen again. Leaking this trove of classified information endangered our military and intelligence professionals and undermined the security of our allies and partners.

"Anyone with a security clearance who betrays their country by purposefully mishandling classified documents or disclosing classified materials must be held accountable," Reed, D-R.I., added.

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Turner, R-Ohio, said in a statement that his panel will "examine why this happened, why it went unnoticed for weeks, and how to prevent future leaks."

Biden and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin were briefed about the disclosure last week, administration officials said. That was when the White House learned about the existence of the documents in the public domain, National Security Council spokesman John Kirby told reporters this week.

According to Bellingcat, the online open-source investigative group, the documents appeared in early March on the Discord social media app. Some documents may have appeared as early as January, the group said.

Eoghan Macguire, a researcher and editor who helped break the story at Bellingcat, said the documents were passed around three separate Discord servers before they were broadly made public on the extremist site 4chan.

Kirby said that the Pentagon is "leading an interagency effort here to review whatever national security implications might come out of all this" and that the Justice Department is leading a criminal investigation.

He also said it appears some of the classified documents had been altered from their original form. Kirby said Biden administration officials spent last weekend contacting "relevant allies and partners" and "at very high levels" to reassure them about the leaks.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  Vic Eldred    last year

There is nothing quite like impressing one's friends. I used to limit it to winning money.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

gun nut, religious wacko, and a racist too. what a stellar trumpster he is for being so young. add treason and espionage to the list of clownservative enviable merit badges he's attained so far.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.1    last year
treason and espionage

what a patriot!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.1    last year

he should probably sell everything he owns and get implants before his stay at club fed...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.3  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    last year

... and buy a skirt and heels.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @1.1.3    last year

Since he is already a tiny 'pretty boy' racist American traitor, dressing up won't be necessary. 

If he ever sees the light of day again his ass will look like a sewer pipe.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.5  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @1.1.4    last year

yeah, as a gun and god loving racist incel, he'll probably get along great in there...

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
1.1.6  al Jizzerror  replied to  cjcold @1.1.4    last year
his ass will look like a sewer pipe.

evilone
Professor Guide
2  evilone    last year

And now the worst of the GOP Populists are defending him:

"Jake Teixeira is white, male, christian, and antiwar. That makes him an enemy to the Biden regime," Greene tweeted .

and

Fox News’ Tucker  Carlson gave a bizarre defense of  suspected intelligence leaker Jack Teixeira  on Thursday night. The primetime host claimed that federal authorities arrested Teixeira to cover up a covert, illegal US presence in Ukraine, and as punishment for  contradicting  “the National Security State and their obedient servants in the media.”

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @2    last year

I don't see either of those statements equalling a defense.

What I find interesting is:

1) how vulnerable American Intelligence secrets have become.

2) how nonchalant president Biden was about the importance of the intelligence.

3) how damning the intelligence was to the administration's narrative.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.1  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    last year
I don't see either of those statements equalling a defense.

It's not a condemnation.

1) how vulnerable American Intelligence secrets have become.

I'm sure that's on everyone's mind right now. There is supposed to be a level of personal trust. That's why they have background checks.

2) how nonchalant president Biden was about the importance of the intelligence.

Politics.

3) how damning the intelligence was to the administration's narrative.

Personally I hope it ultimately leads to the Dems electing a better candidate in next year's primary, but this early in the game I wouldn't bet on anything. As partisan as everything is this will likely further entrench the partisans.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    last year

[removed]

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2  Kavika   replied to  evilone @2    last year
Jake Teixeira is white, male, christian, and antiwar. That makes him an enemy to the Biden regime," Greene tweeted .

What dumbass forgot to add was that he is also a racist. The perfect populist.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2.1  evilone  replied to  Kavika @2.2    last year
What dumbass forgot to add was that he is also a racist.

I'm certain that's why MTG is now tripping over herself to help out.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @2.2    last year

Aw! You failed again! There is not a single racist quote of his or anyone elses in that little screed. Are we simply taking Sisi Jiang's word that there were racist jokes found on a group site?

We go to any length to charge racism, don't we?

You also failed to open the article agan.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @2.2.1    last year

Did you bother to read his "evidence?"

Instead of smearing everyone you hate, take the time to READ!

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2.4  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.2    last year
There is not a single racist quote of his or anyone elses in that little screed.

It's widely reported his online group, he was a leader of, shared racist memes. Also the WaPo is reporting a video of the accused at a shooting range with a large rifle, making racial and antisemitic slurs on camera. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.2    last year
Aw! You failed again! There is not a single racist quote of his or anyone elses in that little screed. Are we simply taking Sisi Jiang's word that there were racist jokes found on a group site?

Vic, you of all people saying that I failed again is a most ignorant comment, but also not surprising. Yes, I posted the article that stated it and here is another:

No, just pointing out where it applies. It seems that you go to any length to deny racism. 

You also failed to open the article agan.

The Great Karnac speaks...LMAO.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.2    last year

The Washington Post reported that they had seen the video of the suspect at a shooting range yelling racial slurs as he blasted at the targets. 

Are you calling those reporters liars? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @2.2.4    last year
It's widely reported

That is how Pravda used to begin it's stories.

Where is any evidence in that hate screed?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @2.2.5    last year

[deleted]
Yes, I posted the article

Yes, you did and it was a pig in a poke, totally devoid of any evidence.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.9  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.8    last year
What is really unsurprising is that someone who used to write short stories about splitting open the heads of white settlers would smear somebody who is already involved in treason with racism.

You will probably regret that comment. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.10  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.8    last year
Did our feminist leader teach you how to hide behind that?

I don't hide behind anything, Vic that is your MO.

What is really unsurprising is that someone who used to write short stories about splitting open the heads of white settlers would smear somebody who is already involved in treason with racism.

You really have gone off the deep end, Vic, a truly sad comment that shows how far down the rabbit hole you've gone.

Yes, you did and it was a pig in a poke, totally devoid of any evidence.

LOL, yes the WaPo reporters are liars as is everyone else that you disagree with. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2.11  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.7    last year

So you're a fan of Pravda? 

Why so quick to question the reporting, Vic?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @2.2.10    last year

[deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.13  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.12    last year

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @2.2.13    last year

told ya so

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.2.15  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.7    last year

So successful were they that FOX adopted all their methods.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.16  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.14    last year

I've rolled rice paper joints that had thicker skin...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @2.2.16    last year

Use Bible paper for a joint

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.18  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.17    last year

done that, too much ink...

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.19  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.2    last year

a gun loving, god fearing white supremacist in boston massachusetts? oh say it isn't so...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.20  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @2.2.19    last year

Not so surprising, Boston and MA are very blue but also have a continuing history of virulent racism.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.21  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.20    last year

Someone here who refers to themselves in the third person resides there I believe and he is RED.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.22  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.21    last year
Someone here who refers to themselves in the third person resides there I believe and he is RED.

Huh?  

Are you against individuals picking the pronouns that they use to refer to themselves?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.2.23  Tacos!  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.22    last year

I prefer first person - plural. As in, the Royal “we.”

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.24  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tacos! @2.2.23    last year

I’m with you.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.25  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.22    last year

Usually, psychopaths refer to themselves in the third person

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.27  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.25    last year

[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.28  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.27    last year

I'm not the one referring to myself in the third person.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.29  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.28    last year

Why do you care what pronouns someone self identifies with? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.30  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.29    last year

What makes you think I do?

and how is referring to oneself in the third person a pronoun?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.31  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.29    last year

Why do you endlessly ask me stupid fucking questions?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.32  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.31    last year

I didn't understand your comment in 2.2.28

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.33  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.32    last year

[Deleted]

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.34  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.33    last year

Yes, you remain a mystery to me.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2.2.35  al Jizzerror  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.7    last year

Why do you like to defend the indefensible?

I suppose defending the indefensible is habitual for Retrumplicans.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
2.2.36  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.31    last year

jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.2.37  cjcold  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.7    last year
Where is any evidence

It's called video. 

Trump said many times "I didn't say that"

When all one has to do is watch the videos of him saying that.

[Deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.38  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.17    last year

... you'll get a headache inhaling it. just like the yellow pages aren't just like wheat straw papers... >cough< >cough<

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @2    last year

Always the defense of the indefensible on top of their PD&D, it has become their trademark.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.3.1  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @2.3    last year

this kid and his story are a way for trumpsters to attack those that want to see their demigod prosecuted for his more egregious handling of classified documents.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.3.2  afrayedknot  replied to  devangelical @2.3.1    last year

“…this kid and his story…”

Rittenhouse 2.0.

And yet the apologists will come out in droves in their acrimony and accusations. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.3.3  devangelical  replied to  afrayedknot @2.3.2    last year

meh, anymore it's a trumpster footrace to be the most contrary to logic, reason, and sanity...

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2.3.4  al Jizzerror  replied to  devangelical @2.3.3    last year
it's a trumpster footrace to be the most contrary to logic, reason, and sanity...

Greene and Boebert are way out in front of most of the other women in the GOP.

Unfortunately, they are going in the wrong direction.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.3.5  devangelical  replied to  al Jizzerror @2.3.4    last year

blowbert is going down in '24, and not in the way she's most accustomed... 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.3.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  al Jizzerror @2.3.4    last year

Snort.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.4  Tacos!  replied to  evilone @2    last year
Fox News’ Tucker  Carlson gave a bizarre defense of  suspected intelligence leaker Jack Teixeira  on Thursday night.

Yeah, I saw a clip of this on YouTube last night. As far as I know, there is zero evidence that this guy was engaged in whistle blowing. More like he was interested in impressing people on the internet. I think Tucker pulled this out of his ass.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.4.1  evilone  replied to  Tacos! @2.4    last year
I think Tucker pulled this out of his ass.

That's where he gets most of his ideas.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.4.2  devangelical  replied to  evilone @2.4.1    last year

... and his show's guests.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    last year

Jake can expect to live the rest of his life in Leavenworth. But how in the world did he gain access to the intelligence to begin with?

jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @3    last year
But how in the world did he gain access to the intelligence to begin with?

He's an IT Specialist in working at an Intelligence unit. You can bet there will be a serious investigation of the unit, the unit command and this guy's command.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @3.1    last year
You can bet there will be a serious investigation of the unit,

Bid deal. The Defense Department should have the very best protections..TO BEGIN WITH!

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.2  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    last year
The Defense Department should have the very best protections..TO BEGIN WITH!

Do you know what the Defense Dept security and procedures are? Lay them out here for us so we can debate them, Vic.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @3.1.2    last year

Of course he doesn't! He just knows the DOD buys big planes and boats

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.3    last year
Of course he doesn't! He just knows the DOD buys big planes and boats

It's also important that they are shiny as well as big.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @3.1.4    last year

giggle

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    last year

If the digital  files are classified, they are not on the same network as unclassified files.  There has to be a long list of failures for a 25B (Army IT Specialist) soldier to access these files.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.7  cjcold  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    last year

Oops! That is what Leavenworth is for.

The new "all volunteer army" can attract this type.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @3    last year
how in the world did he gain access to the intelligence to begin with?

maybe he looked in an open box in the pool maintenance room at mar-a-lardo...

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  devangelical @3.2    last year

Or Biden's garage.  Maybe he was there with Biden's crackhead kid.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Greg Jones @3    last year
But how in the world did he gain access to the intelligence to begin with?

I imagine the network access he may have needed. The IT sections in most units work on both the classified and unclassified network systems.  A few bored minutes is all it takes to find information.  I imagine he obtained the files in the same fashion Bradley Manning.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Greg Jones @3    last year
Jake can expect to live the rest of his life in Leavenworth. But how in the world did he gain access to the intelligence to begin with?

Excellent question. Currently, he's a 21-year-old low-tier airman, but he somehow got Top Secret clearance when he was only 19. Something doesn't smell right.  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4  Nerm_L    last year

Why would an ANG unit need access to geopolitical intelligence assessments?  The type of material that was leaked doesn't appear to be of any value for operation of an air wing; even an intelligence air wing.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Nerm_L @4    last year
Why would an ANG unit need access to geopolitical intelligence assessments?

I'm guessing it came down to impressing his friends and/or strategy gaming. He will now have a long time to ask himself that same question. I'm sure that if he lives long enough, he'll never forgive himself.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    last year
I'm guessing it came down to impressing his friends and/or strategy gaming. He will now have a long time to ask himself that same question. I'm sure that if he lives long enough, he'll never forgive himself.

The motivations are plausible and believable.  But that doesn't answer the question.

How does an intelligence assessment that Serbia is providing arms to Ukraine or that Egypt is considering providing arms to Russia contribute to an intelligence air wing performing its mission?  Why does an ANG need access to geopolitical intelligence assessments?

The DOJ will focus attention on Teixeira to bolster it's case against Trump.  The investigation is being conducted by civil authorities and not military authorities (which is another oddity).  But that doesn't tell us why an airman at an ANG has the same access as a President to this type of intelligence material.  If this type of intelligence is available at such low levels then imagine what a concerted espionage effort could accomplish.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    last year
I'm sure that if he lives long enough, he'll never forgive himself.

scratch another trump voter for 2024...

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    last year
I'm sure that if he lives long enough, he'll never forgive himself.

maybe he's banking on a longshot pardon from somebody with the same problem winning in '24.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2  evilone  replied to  Nerm_L @4    last year
Why would an ANG unit need access to geopolitical intelligence assessments? 

That would be a pertinent question and one that I think the Pentagon should answer. I think we have a lot of questions on what is and who gets classified information. Are they classifying too much and/or are they distributing it too wide?

We already know "they" have no accountability process once it get's distributed - I mean between Clinton, Biden, Pence and Trump they have already told us there is no process to track it. Leaving this up to personal integrity also seems to be failing. The Pentagon, the State Dept and the Dept of Homeland Security need to get their shit together and do better. The Congressional oversite committees need to stop playing partisan games and actually start doing their jobs and come up with some new regulations too, I think.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @4.2    last year

The ANG plays a large role in defense of our nation. Of course they need access to intelligence. They will need it if they get activated

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.2  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.1    last year
The ANG plays a large role in defense of our nation. Of course they need access to intelligence. They will need it if they get activated

I don't know the answers and won't pretend to. There are facts and variables we don't know and likely shouldn't know for security reasons.

Playing devils advocate here I'll ask - To they need ALL that info if they aren't activated? Shouldn't they just know what they need to know only to preform their current mission. For example - Does a unit in Germany need intel on N.Korean troop movements? 

Another - we don't yet know how this guy got his hands on the intel. Some reports are assuming it was because he had access to unit computers for his job. IF THIS IS TRUE, then we have to question why it's being stored on computers, how long, and who has access to the actual intel? Coming from my own IT background. I have access to everything in my company being a network admin, but it's not necessary for me to do my job. I don't need to see payroll to make sure printers are working or read the bosses notes on employee status to do Windows Updates. There are simple ways to develop levels of access.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.2.3  Nerm_L  replied to  evilone @4.2    last year
That would be a pertinent question and one that I think the Pentagon should answer. I think we have a lot of questions on what is and who gets classified information. Are they classifying too much and/or are they distributing it too wide?

What is the mission of an intelligence air wing?  The air wing exists to perform a specific function.  What is that function?

Air wings are equipped to collect dots and, in some cases, to plant spurious dots.  When was the function of connecting the dots pushed down to the level of an air wing?

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.4  evilone  replied to  Nerm_L @4.2.3    last year
What is the mission of an intelligence air wing?

I don't know.

When was the function of connecting the dots pushed down to the level of an air wing?

You're making assumptions.  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.2.5  Nerm_L  replied to  evilone @4.2.4    last year
I don't know.

Understanding the mission and function of an air wing would be critical to answering questions on who gets what types of classified information.  What was leaked seems to be more than just classified information, too.  Classified information doesn't necessarily fall under the umbrella of intelligence information.

Maintenance manuals contain classified information.  Clearly an air wing would need access to that classified information to maintain its aircraft.  Classifications are not created equal.  Just because information is classified doesn't mean the information is intelligence information.  And leaking classified information from a maintenance manual would not be as damaging as leaking geopolitical intelligence assessments.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.6  evilone  replied to  Nerm_L @4.2.5    last year
Understanding the mission and function of an air wing would be critical to answering questions on who gets what types of classified information.

Of course, but even much of that should be classified information, don't you think. At least at the "need to know" level.

Maintenance manuals contain classified information.  Clearly an air wing would need access to that classified information to maintain its aircraft.  Classifications are not created equal.  Just because information is classified doesn't mean the information is intelligence information.  And leaking classified information from a maintenance manual would not be as damaging as leaking geopolitical intelligence assessments.

I am well aware of how classified information works. I maintained secret clearances in the Army and Coast Guard.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @4.2.6    last year

I thought you were a veteran. I'm going to take a clue from you and just say "I don't know"

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.2.8  Nerm_L  replied to  evilone @4.2.6    last year
Of course, but even much of that should be classified information, don't you think. At least at the "need to know" level.

Maybe that's part of the problem.  The members of an air wing would need to know the mission and function of the air wing.  By classifying that information at a higher level; lower level people need higher clearance.  The result would be clearance creep.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.2.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilone @4.2.6    last year

I think that this kid is a network tech, not an intel analyst.  He supported the base’s portion of the SIPR and JWICS networks.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.10  evilone  replied to  Nerm_L @4.2.8    last year
By classifying that information at a higher level; lower level people need higher clearance.  The result would be clearance creep.

Another assumption. We don't know. You are asking the right questions, I think. We just can't assume we have any of those variables. It's possible, but it's just as possible we are wrong. AND these things shouldn't be public knowledge either. 

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.11  evilone  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.2.9    last year
I think that this kid is a network tech, not an intel analyst.

Yes, that's what is being reported.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.2.12  Nerm_L  replied to  evilone @4.2.10    last year
Another assumption. We don't know. You are asking the right questions, I think. We just can't assume we have any of those variables. It's possible, but it's just as possible we are wrong. AND these things shouldn't be public knowledge either. 

That begs the question about the ultimate purpose of classifying material and information.  Are things classified just so the public won't know?  Seems like that could create a problem with oversight of intelligence activities.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.13  devangelical  replied to  Nerm_L @4.2.12    last year

[removed]

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.2.14  Hallux  replied to  devangelical @4.2.13    last year

deleted for context

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.15  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @4.2.14    last year

I blame truman for giving the nazi's the GOP as part of the WWII peace treaty...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.16  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @4.2.15    last year
I blame truman for giving the nazi's the GOP as part of the WWII peace treaty...

Do you think that was a smart statement--or even true?

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.2.17  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.16    last year
Do you think that was a smart statement--or even true?

Wrong question! Try again.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.18  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @4.2.17    last year
Wrong question! Try again.

B ZZZZZZ.

Wrong answer, please don't try again.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.19  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @4.2.17    last year
Wrong question!

And WHAT do you think the 'right' question is?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.2.20  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.16    last year

[deleted]

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.2.21  Hallux  replied to  Hallux @4.2.14    last year
deleted for context

Oh darn, I must have burst a lead balloon.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.22  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @4.2.21    last year

Probably beats answering any questions!

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.23  devangelical  replied to  Nerm_L @4.2.12    last year
that could create a problem with oversight of intelligence activities.

... so does being an election denying trump republican.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.2.24  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hallux @4.2.21    last year

Exactly

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
4.2.25  al Jizzerror  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.2.9    last year
I think that this kid is a network tech, not an intel analyst.

If he was the lowest on the totem pole he may have been running backups.  Since backups are often run at "off hours" (night shift) there was probably minimal (or a lack) of supervision.  He had access to everything he was backing up.