╌>

Jean-Pierre faces blowback for 'disprovable lies' about Florida education law: 'Red herrings all the way down' | Fox News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  44 comments

By:   Lindsay Kornick (Fox News)

Jean-Pierre faces blowback for 'disprovable lies' about Florida education law: 'Red herrings all the way down' | Fox News
White House press secretary Karine-Jean Pierre called out Florida's expansion of its Parental Rights in Education law as "dystopian" during Thursday's press conference.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre claimed that the expansion of Floridas "dystopian" education law prevents gay teachers from showing their spouses.

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre was blasted on social media for calling Florida's education law "dystopian," claiming gay teachers cannot show pictures of their spouses anymore.

Prior to answering questions at Thursday's press conference, Jean-Pierre addressed the Florida Board of Education's recent expansion of Gov. Ron DeSantis', R-Fla., Parental Rights in Education law from kindergarten through 3rd grade to all grades. This law would prevent school employees from giving instruction on "sexual orientation" or "gender identity" unless required by state guidelines or part of optional sexual health instruction.

Jean-Pierre referred to this law as the "dystopian Don't Say Gay law" and claimed that gay teachers have been forced to remove pictures of their spouses as a response.

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre speaks during the daily briefing at the White House in Washington, Thursday, April 20, 2023.(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

"I also want to say a word about the decision yesterday made by the Florida Board of Education to expand the state's dystopian Don't Say Gay law. As this measure takes effect, it will prohibit all students up to seniors in high school from learning about our, or, learning about or even discussing LGBTQI+ people in the classrooms," Jean-Pierre said.

She continued, "Teachers in Florida have already faced the devastating consequences of the existing law. Under threat of having their licenses revoked, gay teachers have been forced to take down pictures of their spouses from their desks and censor their classroom materials. Censoring our classes is not how public education is supposed to work in a free country. Conservative politicians love to complain about the so-called cancel culture, all while threatening teachers with losing their jobs if they teach something that the MAGA extremists don't agree with."

This description of the law faced pushback on Twitter as "disprovable lies."

Opposition Democrats and LGBTQ rights activists have lobbied against what they call the "Don't Say Gay" law.(Photo by CHANDAN KHANNA/AFP via Getty Images)

Political consultant Noah Pollak wrote, "All of her claims here are easily disprovable lies, but what's interesting is how progressives are unable to defend their culture war on anything close to the merits. It's red herrings all the way down."

"The fact that the press secretary lies daily doesn't seem to bother liberals," National Review contributor Pradheep Shanker exclaimed.

"This is, of course, a lie," Substack writer Jim Treacher wrote.

"Putting aside that this is just not true, does anyone over 40 remember discussing sexuality, gender or any of this stuff with their teachers growing up? It's laughably ridiculous. Back in my day we did math, science and social studies. You know, old fashioned racist stuff. And we had to walk up hill in the snow both ways without shoes to get to school. Now get off my lawn!" political commentator Dave Rubin tweeted.

"Remember WH Press Briefing live all hands on deck fact checks? I 'member," The Spectator contributing editor Stephen Miller commented.

NewsNation reporter Zaid Jilani wrote, "There's a reasonable debate to be had about what should and shouldn't be promoted in public schools, but it feels like a lot of these debates are based on things that don't exist?"

Since the law was introduced in 2022, Democrats and members of the media have dubbed it as the "Don't Say Gay" law, claiming that the law censors any discussion of being gay in schools.

DeSantis has shot back at media critics of the law for mischaracterizing the law.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis attacked media critics for "mischaracterizing" the Parental Rights in Education bill.(Photo by Andrew Lichtenstein/Corbis via Getty Images)

"I would argue it's never appropriate to be telling a school kid that they were born in the wrong body," DeSantis said on Fox Nation. "I didn't think that it was going to end up what it was, and I was just in a situation where I'm like, you know, this is not a good hill for you guys to pick to die on... What we did is we leaned into it. We called out the media when they were mischaracterizing it, so we made sure that we stood up for the folks."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

Karine Jean-Pierre has gone from being unprepared to outright lying

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

I have stopped watching her press conferences- does she have to refer to her binder to lie? Or has she developed the ability to tell her own lies?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    last year

I liked when she used to leave it to the Justice Department to answer a question.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    last year

For the most part, I've stopped watching them, too. Her eyes are almost always looking down into her binder rather than at the reporter asking the question. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.2    last year
eyes are almost always looking down into her binder rather than at the reporter asking the question. 

She essentially says "I have nothing to read on that" when asked a tough question.  It's sad and funny at the same time. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.3    last year

She’s probably waiting to circle back around to it ......

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.4    last year

Nah. That was Peppermint Patty ... current MSNBC *journalist*. The Binder just knows how to read papers that others prepare for her.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.5    last year
just knows how to read papers that others prepare for her.

Yep, a problem that starts at the top of that administration.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

Seems like only yesterday when we had real-time fact checkers during the WH press conferences...   

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @1.2    last year

Remember that?  We also had fake reporters debating the President's policy.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.2.2  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    last year

Not to mention all the "experts" here on NT who were quick to tell all about the latest set of lies...   They sure are quiet now..

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @1.2.2    last year
They sure are quiet now..

YOU BET!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  Jasper2529    last year
White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre was blasted on social media for calling Florida's education law "dystopian," claiming gay teachers cannot show pictures of their spouses anymore.
Jean-Pierre referred to this law as the "dystopian Don't Say Gay law" and claimed that gay teachers have been forced to remove pictures of their spouses as a response.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've never known of any teacher - gay or straight - showing pictures of his or her spouse to students. What educational purpose does that serve?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Jasper2529 @2    last year

I luckily had teachers who focused on things like math and reading. 

They didn't view their job as turning  students into a captive audience for their one person  stage production on  their  personal life.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1    last year
I luckily had teachers who focused on things like math and reading. 

Same here. Luckily, my kids escaped DEI indoctrination, too.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    last year
White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre claimed that the expansion of Floridas "dystopian" education law prevents gay teachers from showing their spouses.

It's clear she (and everybody else on the left) doesn't have a clue what the legislation actually is.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    last year

KJP, the WH mouthpiece, is still calling it the "Don't Say Gay Bill" and that tells us all we need to know about her radical disinformation agenda.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.1  JBB  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1    last year

The "We" you speak of is an old dying breed.

Younger generations want to be freed from!

De Santis's anti-LGBTQ laws are unpopular...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @3.1.1    last year
The "We" you speak of is an old dying breed. Younger generations want to be freed from!

Hilarious comment!

As you accuse me of being "an old dying breed" without any evidence, you align yourself with younger generationS who want to be free. No one, except tens of thousands of illegal alien children, are being enslaved in the US, JBB, and that onus rests squarely on Biden's shoulders, not DeSantis' shoulders.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.3  JBB  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1.2    last year

Thanks for perfectly illustrating my point!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @3.1.3    last year
Thanks for perfectly illustrating my point!

Surely, you jest, but I'll give you an opportunity to explain your unusual rationale. Please proceed and explain yourself.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1    last year

And the liberal, uninformed mouthpieces here on NT parrot it the same way.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @3.1.1    last year

Only among the fools that want everybody to play the same game as those with mental health issues. 

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.7  JBB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.6    last year

No, they are unpopular with most voters!

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.8  JBB  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1.4    last year

Believe what you want. The gop is losing...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1.9  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @3.1.7    last year

In comment 3.1.4 I requested an explanation from you. Will you answer or not?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1.10  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @3.1.8    last year

So, you have no answer or explanation. No problem! 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.11  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @3.1.7    last year

It's hilarious you think I'm going to take your word for it.  

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.12  Snuffy  replied to  JBB @3.1.7    last year

Let's see.  The so-called 'Don't Say Gay' bill was passed and signed in March, 2022.   DeSantis won re-election in November, 2022 by a large margin of 19 points.

Yep,  it sure was unpopular with most voters...   

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.13  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.12    last year
Yep,  it sure was unpopular with most voters...   

In his head it was.  But he can't justify the claim by any means.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.14  Snuffy  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.13    last year

Seems to be a standard for way too many here on NT.  Drop some outlandish bullshit, perform a drive-by snark, claim anything they want.  But never provide any evidence for what they are saying...   It gets very tiring, I came here to discuss topics with other people in order to expand my way of thinking and my knowledge of the world around me and instead all i get is a chorus of "Nuh uh's".

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.13    last year

lol

Look who is talking and look who is defending you/defending the indefensible

As usual

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.16  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @3.1.7    last year

Show us some facts to prove your claim. The majority of voters don't support this all in position of the Dems on their misguided attempts to normalize the behavior of some

[Deleted, labeling and inflammatory.]

[Deleted, ToS]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1    last year
KJP, the WH mouthpiece, is still calling it the "Don't Say Gay Bill" and that tells us all we need to know about her radical disinformation agenda.

Many on the left have been forced to outright LIE about the law.

Someone told them the bill said "Don't say gay" and instead of looking at the law itself, they decided it was somehow smarter to listen to someone telling them what they really wanted to hear.

After all, if they learned what the law really said, what then could they be outraged about?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.16    last year
Show us some facts to prove your claim.

2343e9.jpg

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.19  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.14    last year

Yup, that's all Jeremy does.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.20  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.19    last year

You have been wrong before but this is really wrong.  Way to miss the point however...

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.21  bugsy  replied to  JBB @3.1.1    last year

Yea that's why he won Florida by 20 percent.

Unpopular my ass!!

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.22  bugsy  replied to  JBB @3.1.7    last year

Florida voters are the only ones that should care about this. I have lived in Florida almost my whole life and I am grateful for this governor.

Sure beats the hell out of losers like Newsom.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.23  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.15    last year

Lets see you do something you haven't done, EVER - Prove me wrong.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.24  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.14    last year
Seems to be a standard for way too many here on NT.  Drop some outlandish bullshit, perform a drive-by snark, claim anything they want.  But never provide any evidence for what they are saying...

[Deleted]

all i get is a chorus of "Nuh uh's".

[Deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.25  Sparty On  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.24    last year

[Deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.26  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.24    last year

[Deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.27  Sparty On  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.26    last year

[Deleted]