╌>

The Secret Presidential-Campaign Dress Code

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  hallux  •  last year  •  50 comments

By:   John Hendrickson - The Atlantic

The Secret Presidential-Campaign Dress Code

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Americana Cosplay

One of the most memorable scenes from HBO’s political satire   Veep   is an unsettlingly realistic   campaign spot . Jonah Ryan, a WASPy, weaselly Capitol Hill aide, attempts to rebrand himself as an everyman when he runs for Congress. In lieu of his navy blazer and khakis, Jonah dons a flannel shirt and a puffy vest, and chops wood (poorly). He looks uncomfortable merely holding the axe, let alone swinging it.

I thought of Jonah this past weekend as former Vice President Mike Pence rolled into Des Moines, Iowa, straddling a Harley-Davidson. Pence mugged for the cameras in a black leather vest, jeans, and cowboy boots. To be fair, Pence was the only presidential candidate who actually rode a motorcycle to Senator Joni Ernst’s annual “Roast and Ride” charity glad-handing event, so he deserves a little bit of credit. But the photos were, well,   quite funny . Pence has spent years cultivating a distinct personal image—that of a stoic, soft-spoken churchgoer who never has a hair out of place. Picture Dennis Hopper in   Easy Rider , then imagine his exact opposite:   That’s   Pence.

Still … at least he didn’t autograph a Bible! Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida was also in Iowa this past weekend, and he graciously signed someone’s copy of the good book. (His wife, Casey, was photographed in her own motorcycle leather, adorned with an image of Florida, a gator, and the phrase  where woke goes to die . She and her husband took an SUV, not a hog, to the event.)

As his campaign gets under way, DeSantis is also undergoing a Jonah-like evolution. He holds degrees from Harvard and Yale, yet he’s still learning basic retail-politics skills. My colleague Mark Leibovich recently observed DeSantis up close on the trail in New Hampshire. While working the rope line at an American Legion hall, DeSantis “smiled for the camera like the dentist had just asked him to bite down on a blob of putty; like he was trying to make a mold, or to fit one,”  Leibovich wrote .

To be sure, the performative “I’m just like you” campaign pitch is by no means a purely Republican phenomenon. Remember in 2015, when Hillary Clinton informed us that she was   “just chillin’ in Cedar Rapids” ? Or way back in 2003, when John Kerry tried to court Philadelphia voters by visiting the divey cheesesteak mecca Pat’s and doomed his campaign by asking for   Swiss cheese instead of Whiz ?

In the last presidential election cycle, after being dogged by accusations of hiding from the coronavirus pandemic in his basement, Joe Biden released his own how-do-you-like-me-now campaign ad. As an electric guitar strummed in the background, Biden revved the engine of his convertible Corvette Stingray, then tore off down what looked like a very safe private road, ostensibly in support of an electric-vehicle future. The spot unintentionally called to mind the 2009   Onion   headline “ Shirtless Biden Washes Trans Am in White House Driveway .”

I asked my colleague Amanda Mull, who spent 10 years in the fashion industry and writes about consumerism, why presidential candidates lean into the same form of über-Americana year after year. “Politics is a strange industry full of fundamentally strange people who mostly don’t quite realize how odd they are,” she said.

She went on, “This working-man Americana cosplay is, on some level, an acknowledgement that politicians exist separately from regular people, and it’s an attempt to bridge a gap on an aesthetic level that they are incapable of bridging interpersonally. But they’re weird guys, so the end result is the exact opposite—they look so uncomfortable, so uncanny in their little jeans and boots, that they might as well have just landed from outer space.”

The current Republican front-runner, Donald Trump, skipped Iowa altogether this past weekend, but rest assured, he’s been busy doing his own pandering. Last week, Trump proposed a yearlong  “Salute to America 250”  party to be held at the Iowa state fairgrounds in celebration of the country’s coming semiquincentennial in 2026. “Together we will build it, and they will come,” Trump proclaimed. You could virtually smell the rising corn.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    last year

Pence's campaign slogan: I Ride a Hog, Never Karen!  

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1    last year

I'm waiting for pence to claim that god told him to run. that's always gone over gangbusters...

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.2  pat wilson  replied to  Hallux @1    last year

He calls her "Mother"... 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.1  devangelical  replied to  pat wilson @1.2    last year

so very freudian...

the GOP has got almost all their token coalition bases covered for the 2024 primaries...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  devangelical @1.2.1    last year

And the democrats have the eccentric uncle/grandpa that everyone is gathering for the reading of the will even though he hasn't croaked yet.........................

Veronica
Professor Guide
1.2.3  Veronica  replied to  pat wilson @1.2    last year

God, that is sick.

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.2.4  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.2    last year

You're in the will, you get 27 unfinished and indestructible Hunter artworks. Blessed are the critics!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.2    last year

how unoriginal

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.2.6  seeder  Hallux  replied to  pat wilson @1.2    last year

My dad called her Mother of 3, she called him Father of 2. He never repeated the slight.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.5    last year

Everybody should ignore him. He only came here to cause trouble

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.7    last year

Tissue? Sorry for dropping in...........seemed appropriate since it wasn't the usual echo chamber.

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.2.9  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.8    last year

You are always welcome in my unusual echo canyon.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.10  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Hallux @1.2.9    last year

Thanks.................

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.2.11  Bob Nelson  replied to  Hallux @1.2.9    last year

You'll regret this...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.8    last year

I don't need one but you might

Hallux is a lot nicer than me

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.13  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.12    last year

Never a doubt about that.......................

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.2.14  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.2.11    last year

Jim and I have known each other for nigh on a decade, we got over the rough spots in the first 6 months.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.15  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.12    last year

always the whiny ones who think they're making us cry

now ticket this JJ!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.2.16  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.15    last year

This is to everyone in this thread.

I got a pile of flags from you all, but I am not going to respond to them, since I see a lot of tit for tat going on. That being said, it stops now, or big tickets will be handed out.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.17  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.16    last year

so of course my comment is the only one deleted

one of the reasons I don't spend so much time here anymore

I get so tired of the whiny little crybabies who ticket my every comment

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.2.18  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.16    last year

Is flagging comments that you don't like the same as tattle telling and expecting mon to fix it?  I've never flagged.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.19  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.17    last year

This is the last thing I'll say on the subject, a quote I saved on Facebook

"Some of the best advice I've been given:  Don't take criticism from people you would never go to for advice"- Morgan Freeman

that's how I feel about certain members here on NT

a little life lesson

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.20  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.17    last year

If the comments were worth anything, the moderators would let them stand as they wouldn't warrant a ticket. We should all know that by now. It's sad that you feel so picked on.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.2.21  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.20    last year

No it was a mistake deletion. Now all of you better knock it off.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @1    last year

I just gag at the thought of pence 'straddling a Harley in a black leather vest, jeans, and cowboy boots' . . . and assless chaps

lol

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.1  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1.3    last year

that's how he kick starts mothers engine a little after dinner...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.2  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.3.1    last year

oh wait, I forgot, they only have sex to procreate. I guess that ship sailed long ago...

devangelical
Professor Principal
2  devangelical    last year

the GOP field of candidates reminds me of a gathering of relatives for the reading of the eccentric uncle's will, before he's even croaked...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    last year
The current Republican front-runner, Donald Trump, skipped Iowa altogether this past weekend, but rest assured, he’s been busy doing his own pandering. Last week, Trump proposed a yearlong  “Salute to America 250”  party to be held at the Iowa state fairgrounds in celebration of the country’s coming semiquincentennial in 2026. “Together we will build it, and they will come,” Trump proclaimed. You could virtually smell the rising corn.

Do you think he will eat any corn? It's pretty messy when eaten right

Hallux
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    last year

I was born in England, corn is fit for a Trump swine food only.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @3.1    last year

We Americans love our sweet corn. It's not the same corn fed to cows

Hallux
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.1    last year

I'll stay with Bubble and Squeak ... stuff is rib-sticking oink!

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.1    last year

In MD the thing was, I believe it was called, silver queen corn. Grown around there every year. Always got if fresh and had to husk the things.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @3.1.3    last year

Yes, my parents grew it every year in their garden but I always preferred the Salt and Butter variety.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.5  pat wilson  replied to  Ender @3.1.3    last year

My dad grew Silver Queen, it was the best !

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.5    last year

We grew Peaches and Cream (yellow and white combo) and always delish...............

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @3.1.2    last year

I do bubble and squeak when I make  a pot roast! I never knew that's what it was called. Glad I googled it

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hallux @3.1    last year

Yes, English summers are to cold and wet to grow maize.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.7    last year
I do bubble and squeak when I make  a pot roast

If you weren't in the pot you probably won't bubble and squeak, Trout.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @3.1.9    last year

lol

seriously, tho I put potatoes and carrots in with my pot roast. The next day I like to take the leftover veggies, fry them in butter and serve it with the leftover roast and gravy

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.10    last year

Love that. Wife does the same.

Veronica
Professor Guide
3.1.12  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.10    last year
I put potatoes and carrots in with my pot roast.

So do I, along with a whole onion (hubby does not like to bite into onion).  I usually just bowl up all the stuff together for leftovers. I then throw it in my cast iron Dutch oven, pour the gravy over top and heat it up. I never thought to fry up the stuff to go with the gravy.  Might have to try that.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.13  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.10    last year

Lo-cal!

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.2  charger 383  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    last year
It's pretty messy when eaten right

BBQ and sweet corn are good and messy,  Only way to stay clean and properly enjoy is with a bib

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  charger 383 @3.2    last year

or eat nekkid

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.2.2  charger 383  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.1    last year

that would work

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     last year

It's starting to sound like ''The Children of the Corn'' around here.

Veronica
Professor Guide
4.1  Veronica  replied to  Kavika @4    last year

Great novel.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5  Drinker of the Wry    last year

I seem to remember Pence leading 100 mile charity rides several times when he was a Governor.  

I see that WASP is still one of the remaining ethnic labels permissible to use as a slur.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     last year

Remember this, how to destroy a presidential campaign.

backfire_5.jpg?w=712