╌>

Canadian wildfires cause air quality alerts as smoke hits U.S. - The Washington Post

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  last year  •  55 comments

By:   Matthew Cappucci and Jason Samenow (Washington Post)

Canadian wildfires cause air quality alerts as smoke hits U.S. - The Washington Post
The smoke, emanating from Canada, is causing gray skies and poor air quality.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The smoke, emanating from Canada, is causing gray skies and poor air quality

By Matthew Cappucci and Jason SamenowUpdated June 6, 2023 at 9:33 p.m. EDT|Published June 6, 2023 at 1:10 p.m. EDTListen5 minComment on this storyCommentGift ArticleShare

Smoky scenes — so common in California during recent summers — are now paying the eastern United States an unwelcome, improbable and toxic visit.

A thick veil of Canadian wildfire smoke is spreading south over much of the Midwest, Ohio Valley, Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, bringing milky-white skies and dangerous air pollution to the most populous corridor of the country. Fine particles contained within the smoke, hazardous to breathe, have prompted air quality alerts for tens of millions of people from South Carolina to New Hampshire.

WpGet the full experience.Choose your planArrowRight

As of Tuesday evening, New York City had the worst air quality in the world among major cities. Scenes from social media and web cameras showed the sky above Manhattan tinged a reddish-orange hue, drawing comparisons to Mars.

"If you're a New Yorker with heart or breathing issues, be careful when you're outdoors," said the City of New York in a tweet signed by the mayor. "Smoke from wildfires in Canada is impacting our city's air, so an Air Quality Health Advisory has been issued. Try to limit outdoor activities today to the absolute necessities."

Smoke invaded the D.C. area yet again Tuesday and could get worse

In some places, air quality measurements are the worst on record. Marshall Burke, a professor of environment at Stanford University, tweeted that this event is the "[n]ear worst or worst event" in the past two decades or so, based on smoke particle data.

New Haven, Conn., posted its worst air quality on record while EPA measurements showed hazardous smoke pollution enveloping much of New York state and southern New England.

Where are the wildfires causing the smoke?

Current wildfires across Canada via @NRCanhttps://t.co/YR85GAQAoQ.
Red - out of control
Yellow - being held
Blue - under control pic.twitter.com/PzqScZHEUo
— Dayna Vettese ️ (@daynavettese) June 5, 2023

The source of much of the smoke pouring into the region is Quebec, Canada. Most broke out in the past week. Across Canada, there are 416 active fires, 240 of which the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Center lists as "out of control."

The wildfires cropped up beneath a well-predicted "heat dome," or zone of high pressure, which brought sinking air and warm, dry conditions that broke records for the time of year and location.

Low pressure swirling clockwise over Nova Scotia, meanwhile, is making for a conveyor belt of northerly winds that is pumping the smoke south over the Great Lakes, Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.

Midwest, Northeast face unusual summer fire threat as drought expands

Where is the smoke and where is it worst?

Satellite imagery Tuesday evening showed smoke covering the Northeast and extending into the Carolinas. The thickest extended from lakes Erie and Ontario to near New York City.

Today's horribly smoky day in the Eastern US as seen by satellite. pic.twitter.com/6iY5QjQqm8 — CIRA (@CIRA_CSU) June 7, 2023

That said, poor air quality reached as far west as Minnesota on Tuesday, according to AirNow.gov, and a few hints of smoke were even flirting with the Georgia-Florida border.

Environmental agencies plastered air quality alerts across an expansive swath of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, in effect into Wednesday, cautioning that "sensitive individuals, including those with heart or lung disease, the elderly, and the young should limit strenuous activities and the amount of time active outdoors."

The alerts cover northern South Carolina, much of North Carolina, northern Virginia, much of Maryland, Delaware, eastern Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and western New Hampshire.

Wildfire smoke again hits the East Coast. How bad is it for your health?

During Tuesday, some of the worst air quality was concentrated in western New York into Quebec and Ontario, where code red and purple conditions were prevalent, meaning air quality was hazardous for all populations.

Jase Bernhardt, a professor of meteorology at Hofstra University, determined that the Air Quality Index in Syracuse, N.Y., was the worst since reliable records began in 1999.

Particle pollution in Detroit and New York registered at the highest and second-highest levels, respectively, since 2006, Stanford's Burke found.

Meanwhile, forecasters at the Weather Service in Burlington, Vt., called the smoke situation "uncharted territory," having never dealt with it before. "[W]e are learning and adapting as the event unfolds," they wrote in a discussion.

How long will it last?

With no end in sight to the fires, the question of how long the smoke lingers comes down to wind direction. Michigan, Indiana and Ohio should see improvement into Tuesday night, but Pennsylvania, the Virginias, Tennessee and the Carolinas will probably see smoke stick around.

Then on Wednesday into Thursday, an even worse round of wildfire smoke could waft south out of Canada on the backside of a north-to-south-moving cold front. Pennsylvania, New York state and the Mid-Atlantic — including major metro areas such as Philadelphia, Newark, New York, Baltimore, Washington and Richmond — are likely to see very poor air quality. Outdoor recreation would probably be hazardous.

Winds will become more northwesterly Friday into Saturday. While that won't fully clear the smoke, it will bring a reduction in the concentrations of fine particulate matter. Visibilities, sky conditions and air quality will improve somewhat.

How unusual are the fires?

Maybe the worst air quality New York City has seen in a long time as a smokey haze shrouds the sun as it rises behind midtown Manhattan and the Empire State Building, Tuesday #newyorkcity#nyc#newyork#haze@EmpireStateBldg@agreatbigcity#sunrisepic. — Gary Hershorn (@GaryHershorn) June 6, 2023

Very unusual. Wildfires are normal to an extent across Canada and the western United States in the summertime, but outbreaks as widespread and numerous as these are virtually unheard of in late May into June. The amount of smoke pouring into the Northeast is thus also exceptional.

More than 3.7 million acres are believed to have already been torched in Canada.

The Canadian Broadcast Corp. published a sobering graph comparing area burned thus far this year with prior years:

Some perspective on the Canadian wildfires...this shows total million hectares burned in Canada.
At over 3.5 million hectares burned so far, not only is this year beyond all but one of the past 6 year totals but will do it before the true wildfire season begins in
— Jim Teske (@JimTeskeNC9) June 6, 2023

While wildfires can be sparked in many different ways, the rapidity with which they spread is proportional to how hot and dry the ambient environment is. There exists a strong link between the frequency and intensity of heat domes and human-caused climate change. A number of high-end heat domes have already fostered wildfire outbreaks across Canada this year, and more appear to be in the offing.

'Unprecedented' Canadian fires intensified by record heat, climate change

Jason Samenow contributed to this report.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    last year

So sue!!!  What is America waiting for?  Voluntary compensation?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    last year

We're just waiting for the Canadians to do the right thing...smirk

I lived in Alaska for 3 years. Used to get some awful wild fires there. I went running one day during an episode and had an allergy attack right after

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    last year

The North East wants reparations.  Is there a committee studying it yet?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.2    last year

I think the committee is still studying the effects of the acid rain from Michigan dumped on Ontario by the westerly winds. 

shona1
Professor Quiet
2  shona1    last year

Well we all know the Canadians love to share just like us when bushfire season is going full bore...

The Kiwis complain as well when they cop our smoke...not our fault their islands are in the way..😁

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  Vic Eldred    last year

Here for Canada and California:

Dumb asses!

shona1
Professor Quiet
3.1  shona1  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    last year

Get out of the wrong side of the bed again Vic...

Don't worry there is a pill for that. 😁

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  shona1 @3.1    last year

Comon shona...that wouldn't have happened in Australia.

Don't worry there is a pill for that.

It comes in liquid form. It's called the "Wiley Wallaby."

MrFrost
Professor Guide
4  MrFrost    last year
The Smoke, Emanating From Canada, Is Causing Gray Skies And Poor Air Quality

The new normal it seems. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
5  Hallux    last year

For some reason the God's who are a crazy bunch have steered the smoke around Montreal and life is normal. My sympathies to New Yorkers both State and City.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6  sandy-2021492    last year

It's pretty hazy here in Virginia.  I can usually see the town where I work from my house, and the mountain on the other side of the valley.  Not today.  Gray-out.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7  Greg Jones    last year

Never knew what a clear sky was until we moved from the Chicago area to Colorado way back in the day.

Hoagy Carmichael - Old Buttermilk Sky - YouTube

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8  Jeremy Retired in NC    last year

So far what we've seen around south central NC it's just another day.  There is smoke but it's not above a level we aren't used to with the controlled burns that are carried out here to prevent such fires.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @8    last year

Can smell it and see a haze somewhat here in Charlotte and down in Rock Hill,SC

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.1    last year

The Fayetteville area is used to all the smoke because of the controlled burns Fort Bragg does annually.  Right now it's nothing new.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @8.1.1    last year
Fort Bragg

Ruh, roh, I sense in the future someone will call you out for using the incorrect name!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.2    last year

Yeah another ridiculously stupid virtue signaling move

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
8.1.4  Right Down the Center  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.1    last year

CT sucks today.  Not only is it hazy but it smells.  No grass cutting today.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.2    last year

Let them.  I'm not going to shit on those who served here because some peckerhead was offended.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8.1.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.1.3    last year

It's exactly what it was.  They wasted some $7 million to change the name while the infrastructure here is falling to hell.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8.1.7  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Right Down the Center @8.1.4    last year

Just another day here.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
9  Hal A. Lujah    last year

Maryland smells like a tire fire today.  I can’t imagine what NYC is going through.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
10  SteevieGee    last year

So glad it's not here.  It's really nice today.  Maybe the jet stream will take some of this great clean air east for you guys.  We know what that smoke is like.  It's not fun.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
11  bccrane    last year

Had the smoke from Canada since yesterday afternoon with a NE wind, the wind switched straight out of the North, as the smoke started to diminish from Canada we had a forest fire start straight north of here and the visibility went to two miles and is still hazy after the wind is now out of the East where the Canada smoke is now the thickest.  For a few days the winds will be from the NE quadrant again pulling the smoke from Canada.  This is something similar to what happened when California was on fire back in late summer and fall of 2020, maybe that was 2021, we had a great garden from the fertilizer falling from the sky and no frost until November that year.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
12  Freefaller    last year

We're sorry

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
13  Right Down the Center    last year

351848012_1933773113684209_4570414731464352342_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&cb=99be929b-59f725be&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=b_fM29fL_x8AX_19wIr&_nc_ht=scontent-bos5-1.xx&oh=00_AfDZe2a9tU4TFhCjRjyoRolGZ6n8BPUp1QtTaBIGESqsxw&oe=6486980F

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14  Buzz of the Orient    last year

Saw NYC on the news this morning - WOW!!!  I'd stay inside if I were there.  I don't recall from my whole life in Canada anything like this - I have to put it down to the changing climate conditions. 

JBB
Professor Principal
14.1  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14    last year

It is bad. The sky was tangerine colored today...

shona1
Professor Quiet
14.1.1  shona1  replied to  JBB @14.1    last year

Arvo jbb...as bad as it is speaking from experience here pretty well every year...you will get some spectacular sunrises and sunsets...and the sun often turns blood red..

We cop it every summer as we dance with devil... it is mother nature at her worst I am afraid..

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
16  Vic Eldred    last year

In an ironic twist, Canada recognized it's annual Clean Air Day as wildfires continue to ravage  Ontario and Quebec  and pour smoky, yellow haze into the northeastern U.S. creating a dangerous air quality.  

shona1
Professor Quiet
16.1  shona1  replied to  Vic Eldred @16    last year

Evening Vic...rather unfortunate timing I guess with clean air day...

Bushfires do tend to create tonnes of smoke speaking from experience..goes with the territory..

Eventually the smoke will work it's way around the world as it does..Yes it's uncomfortable and inconvenient but not as much as the devastation and destruction to people, towns and wildlife...

Some things need to be put in perspective. Especially by people who live in cities. Some of them think the most dramatic thing in their lives is they can't turn their air con on because of the smoke...🙄

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
16.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  shona1 @16.1    last year

I assume that in Australia they have a Forestry Service that does burning and performs maintance to prevent or at least cut down of forest fires?

Hallux
Professor Principal
16.1.2  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @16.1.1    last year

Maintenance had little to do with it, a record dry and hot Spring combined with lightning strikes did.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
16.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @16.1.2    last year

I don't see anything in that piece saying that Canada has carried out basic Forestry fire prevention. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
16.1.4  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @16.1.3    last year

Vast country with a small population and short temperate seasons that are mostly amenable to vast populations of biting insects. The green areas on the map are forests.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
17  Right Down the Center    last year

Looks a little better today.  Quality alert in effect til tonight.  Grass cutting will have to wait another day. 

shona1
Professor Quiet
17.1  shona1  replied to  Right Down the Center @17    last year

Evening Right..the smoke goes just as fast as it comes...

When it happens here and we are a couple of thousand ks away from the fire.... imagine what it is like at the front...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
18  Buzz of the Orient    last year

I read an article that the N95 masks block most of the lung-damaging effects of the smoke.  I wouldn't cry for the anti-maskers, just as I wouldn't before.  Actually, here is a link to the article. LINK ->

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
18.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @18    last year

But... Some smoke leaks in around the edges, it's hard to breathe wearing a mask, it fogs up my glasses, it looks goofy, it only protects other people not me, and DeSantis has probably made  wearing masks illegal anyway.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
18.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  SteevieGee @18.1    last year

It protects other people, not you?  Why?  Do you breathe out smoke?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
19  Vic Eldred    last year

I just got the word:

"The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) has canceled live racing Thursday at Belmont Park due to poor air quality conditions forecast to impact Long Island and all of New York State throughout the day on Thursday."

P8MvyOxC?format=jpg&name=small