╌>

"You're not serious people": Congress called out for ignoring Jared Kushner's "huge scandal" | Salon.com

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  last year  •  206 comments

By:   Tatyana Tandanpolie (Salon)

"You're not serious people": Congress called out for ignoring Jared Kushner's "huge scandal" | Salon.com
Even GOP Rep. James Comer acknowledged Kushner "crossed the line" — but they're focused on Hunter Biden.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer, R-Ky., on Thursday said that he believes former President Donald Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, "crossed the line of ethics" by accepting a $2 billion investment from Saudi Arabia.

The Republican Kentucky representative, who is leading a congressional probe into President Joe Biden's eldest son Hunter's overseas financial dealings, acknowledged the transaction in response to former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's comments accusing Kushner of "grifting," according to The New York Post.

"I have been vocal that I think that what Kushner did crossed the line of ethics," Comer told CNN's Jake Tapper, pointing out the differences between the business dealings of Hunter Biden and Kushner, who served as an adviser to Trump in the White House.

"But what Christie said, it happened after he left office. Still no excuse, Jake, but it happened after he left office. And Jared Kushner actually has a legitimate business," Comer continued.

"This money from the Bidens happened while Joe Biden was vice president, while he was flying to those countries. He - look, days after he left Romania, his family started receiving wires from a corrupt Romanian foreign national, days, Jake, like four days after he left, including his granddaughter. What's his granddaughter doing getting a wire from a Romanian foreign national?" he added.

Related

"Financial conflict of interest": Dems probe whether Kushner influenced policy to enrich himself

Kushner reportedly received the $2 billion investment, which included an expected $25 million in annual management fees, from Saudia Arabia's sovereign wealth fund six months after his father-in-law left the White House.

During his tenure in the Trump administration, Kushner was tasked with managing Middle East policy, resulting in him building a relationship with Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince and leading efforts to create the Abraham Accords, which established Israel's diplomatic relations initially with Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates, and later with Morocco and Sudan.

Kushner's private equity firm, Affinity Partners, went forward with the investment deal despite a Saudi Public Investment Fund review panel citing concerns about the "inexperience of the Affinity Fund management" and a due diligence review that deemed the transaction "unsatisfactory in all aspects" among other considerations, according to meeting minutes obtained by The New York Times. But Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who chairs the fund, dismissed and overruled the panel's objections.

Comer announced on Thursday that he aims to subpoena members of the Biden family after the committee published a third bank record memo on Wednesday that said the Biden family and Hunter Biden's associates had received $20 million in payments from sources in Russia, Kazakhstan and Ukraine.

(Spam deleted)

"What drives me crazy about this is the blinking red light around Jared Kushner," former Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., told MSNBC Thursday after declaring the "appearance of impropriety" in Hunter Biden's scandal. "Why does the Senate not start hearings?"

"This is a huge scandal. I do not understand why the Senate is not doing a hearing on all of the Trump grift. And I'm not even talking about the money they netted off foreign governments while they were in office," the former prosecutor said after walking through the extent of Kushner's relationship and dealings with Saudi Arabia, and comparing the situation to former Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin outcome when trying to get an investment from the Saudi government.

Democrats' failure to launch an investigation into Kushner, she added, is "a good way to make every headline about Hunter Biden and make everyone forget about what the Trump family did: massive grift while they were in office and even bigger grift trading off the influence of the name Trump after they got out of office. I really think that what Hunter Biden did — I disagree what he did, I don't know if his father disagreed what he did. I know that he was tormented by the death of his other son and the addiction of Hunter. But I do know this. I know that the more we give them an open playing field to try to pretend like Joe Biden did something wrong because of Hunter, the bigger mistake we make."

"We need to explain to the American people, first, that Joe Biden did nothing wrong, we have no evidence he did anything wrong, and secondly, don't look over here, look at the real sleaziness that occupied the White House the last time Republicans were in charge," McCaskill concluded.

Progressive ethics watchdog Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington agreed with McCaskill Thursday, writing on X, formerly known as Twitter, that Kushner "should not get a free pass for his special relationship with Saudi Arabia."

"Talk all you want about nepotism and conflicts of interest, but you're not serious people if you don't want to investigate Jared Kushner," the watchdog added in another tweet.

(Spam deleted)

On Friday's edition of "Morning Joe," MSNBC host Joe Scarborough mocked Comer and the other Republican legislators piling on Hunter Biden instead of probing the Trump children's transactions while working in the White House, his comments also in response to Christie's comparison of Hunter Biden's laptop controversy to Kushner's $2 billion investment at a New Hampshire campaign event Thursday.

"Let's see, $2 billion, laptop. I don't think it's the same," Scarborough began, raising his hands to weigh the value of Jared Kushner's scandal with that of Hunter Biden's in jest.

"You know, you can't control family members, and you want to, but you can't," he continued before comparing both to former President Jimmy Carter's brother, Billy Carter's, contentious relationship with Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi in the 1980s. "There's a big difference between that and people having to be pulled in line when Billy starts showing up next to Muammar Gaddafi in parades and having somebody working inside the White House doing White House business and coming out the other side $2 billion richer."

"I mean, the comparison, again. I'm not talking about [Christie] here so much as I'm talking about all the Republicans that are freaking out over Hunter Biden, when they don't look at all the things Donald Trump's children and in-laws got, who actually worked inside the White House," Scarborough added.

"[They] got these sweetheart deals from Saudi Arabia and China while they were inside the White House, working inside the White House," he said, adding, "Talk about pay to play."

Read more

about the GOP probe

• "Truly stunning": Republican admits hyped Biden witness "didn't know anything" about alleged bribe
  • Hunter Biden "whistleblower" exposed as a fugitive and accused spy — but MAGA won't budge
  • "We don't know": Republicans admit Biden bribery tape they've hyped for weeks may not actually exist
  • "Suspicious circumstances": Giuliani now claims GOP witness behind Biden bribery allegation is dead
  • James Comer's big "informant" against Joe Biden goes "missing" — but MAGA won't care

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    last year

The gop is not serious and so they must be defeated badly, again...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    last year

Nice try in trying to deflect from Garland's illegal actions to to delay and drag out the investigations into Hunter and Joe's crimes. This special counsel fiasco pretty much proves that the investigations are getting too close to the truth and is a devious act of desperation. It could be called the "Colossal Coverup" and is likely to cause great damage to the Biden "brand".

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    last year

original

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.2  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    last year

Just ridiculous. File under: Games People Play.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.2    last year

[Deleted]

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    last year

Wasn't the GOP demanding a special counsel? 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  JBB @1    last year

The gop is not serious and so they must be defeated badly, again...

I love their argument that Hunter got paid 2+ million only because his father was VP, but Kushner surely earned the 2 billion he was paid.  Republicans have stopped all pretenses of any kind of bipartisanship, they've gone full hypocrite.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    last year

like Democrats refusing to believe Hunter did anything wrong and that Joe knew nothing at all.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    last year
I love their argument that Hunter got paid 2+ million only because his father was VP, but Kushner surely earned the 2 billion he was paid. 

No one paid Jared Kushner $2 billion.  He started a private equity fund that the Saudi's invested in.  Kinda like George Soros' Hedge Fund. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.2.2    last year
He started a private equity fund that the Saudi's invested in.

Oh yeah, Kushner started a business which he has no experience in, and the Saudi's contributed 2 billion to that new business which is being run by a failed real-estate investor.

Putting it that way, it makes perfect sense.... /sarc

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.3    last year
Kushner started a business which he has no experience in

So putting it that way.    If Kushner is bad, Hunter is must be really bad as well.

Right?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.3    last year
Oh yeah, Kushner started a business which he has no experience in

I would love to see a resume of Hunter Biden or Joe's brother outlining all their vast experience selling access to Joe.

Opps, sorry, of course I meant their vast experience on the energy sector.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.2.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.3    last year
Oh yeah, Kushner started a business which he has no experience in,

Affinity Partners staff include private equity veterans Bret Pearlman and Asad Naqvi.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.3    last year

So you think Jared has no investment experience, I have this bridge...................

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.4    last year

So putting it that way.    If Kushner is bad, Hunter is must be really bad as well.

Right?

If all you have left is whataboutisms, then yes.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.8    last year
then yes.

That does surprise.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.10  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.8    last year

An inconvenient truth for the whataboutism gambit pushers.

Noted.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.2.11  Bob Nelson  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.2.2    last year

jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    last year

Any thinking person can make the distinction which ethics violations are worse.    

That said, the TDS ridden can not longer be considered thinking people since TDS has completely rotted their brains.

Rotten to the core ….

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sparty On @2    last year

Yes, Hunter only gave the illusion of access. Jared actually had power!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @2.1    last year

No. It's idiotic to think that Hunter's friends and business partners had no access to the 10% Big Guy, who was sitting next to his son when Hunter made the threatening phone call to the Chinese guy....not to mention Joe's just stopping by and saying "Hi" at those "dinners" (business meetings)....just to talk about the weather

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @2.1    last year

I don’t think you know what the word illusion means.

russian oligarch gives hunter a million dollars, Russian oligarch gets access to joe Biden by going to dinner with him.  That’s just access.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.1    last year

What Hunter did stinks and it sucks but the friends and family of powerful Americans have been profiting from their access to powerful relationships since 1776. We cannot stop John Roberts' or Clarence Thomas's wives from sitting on dozens of highly compensated corporate boards. Jared and Ivanka got billions from the Saudis. Our second President John Adams had a scoundrel son Charles who humiliated him by trading off their family name. Congressmen's kids and Senator's brothers across America are raking it in LEGALLY.

Having access to power does not disqualify anyone from making a good living. It sucks that our system unfairly rewards powerful connections, but it does Greg, it does! 

The exact nunus who are hair on fire outraged about Hunter Biden give a complete pass to Jared and Ivanka, to Clarence Thomas and to their own Congressmen's and Governor's lousy kids. So, get over your fake righteous indignation...

Hunter made some bank for giving the illusion of legitimately to a few lousy foreign businesses. So fucking what?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @2.1.3    last year
So fucking what?

So his daddy took actions to enable Hunter.

George
Junior Expert
2.1.5  George  replied to  JBB @2.1.3    last year
Hunter made some bank for giving the illusion of legitimately to a few lousy foreign businesses. So fucking what?

On an article about Kushner getting investments not a paycheck from the Saudi’s.

It’s worth repeating, they aren’t even making a minimal effort to hide their hypocrisy.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.6  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @2.1.3    last year
"Jared and Ivanka got billions from the Saudis."
LEGALLY!  And I doubt that it was billions.
But there is more than ample evidence that the Biden's vast wealth was gained by bribery and money laundering for the purpose of influence peddling.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.7  seeder  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.6    last year

If that were true the gop would show Us the evidence...

Evidence the gop does not have, like with the Clinton's!

And, Obamas. No wonder we can't take the gop serious.

Wild unfounded accusations cannot be taken seriously.

On the other hand...

original

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.8  CB  replied to  JBB @2.1.7    last year
No wonder we can't take the gop serious.

Emphatically. The MAGA GOP is a joke that keeps on giving. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  George @2.1.5    last year

No, you aren't even making a minimal effort to hide your hypocrisy and PD&D.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @2.1.8    last year
The MAGA GOP is a joke that keeps on giving. 

Yet, somehow, you don't seem to be laughing here.  Your joy seems to,be replaced with resentment. 

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.11  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.10    last year

You're one to write. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @2.1.11    last year

That I am, one to write.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.14  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.1    last year
It's idiotic to think that Hunter's friends and business partners had no access to the 10% Big Guy

Because...projection?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @2.1    last year

Gee, maybe instead of wasting time impeaching Trump, Nancy should have turned her goon squad on Jared 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.16  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @2.1    last year
Yes, Hunter only gave the illusion of access. Jared actually had power!

Yes, along with the other managers in his equity fund, he has the power to pool together the money invested in the fund and to make investments on behalf of the fund.   

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.14    last year
Because...projection?

Um, no, because of fact.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.18  cjcold  replied to  JBB @2.1.3    last year

I still have an unopened six pack of Billy Beer in my wine cellar.

Not worth drinking but probably worth something someday.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.19  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  cjcold @2.1.18    last year

eBay cracks me up.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @2    last year

The ones with rotted brains are the ones that endlessly and constantly talk about "TDS". 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    last year

Wrong!

A deranged mind, by definition, is not capable of making such distinctions.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.3  seeder  JBB  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    last year

Wow! You just said so, and then along came the living proof...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @2.2.3    last year

[deleted]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.4    last year

[deleted]

CB
Professor Principal
2.3  CB  replied to  Sparty On @2    last year

More like: Partisan to the core. This is what thinking persons are more often thinking:  Dumb ass children making 'mountains' for their parents to fight on is sickening. 

As to the remainder of your comment, I guess it comes with the territory.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Sparty On  replied to  CB @2.3    last year

Not at all like that.    

Wrong.  

Wrong again.    

Spot off.

CB
Professor Principal
2.3.2  CB  replied to  Sparty On @2.3.1    last year

I wish I could find a picture of the De-Nile river. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3.3  Sparty On  replied to  CB @2.3.2    last year

Just look out your window ….

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.3.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @2.3    last year
Partisan to the core. This is what thinking persons are more often thinking

What metrics do you have?

CB
Professor Principal
2.3.5  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.3.4    last year

Did you ask the other individual about his/her metrics? Until you do and get a proper reply; don't bother asking me!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.3.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @2.3.2    last year

That should be easy unless you're In-Seine.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.3.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @2.3.5    last year

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.8  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.3.4    last year

[deleted]

George
Junior Expert
3  George    last year

Again, not even trying to hide their hypocrisy. What Hunter did with Joe in Office, nothing to see here with his father actually going to dinners and taking phone calls during meetings. Then Kushner takes an investment after trump is out of office and trump has no connection, no dinner and no phone calls and this is the end of the world?

Was Kushner in the investment business before dad in law was elected? 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1  Jasper2529  replied to  George @3    last year
What Hunter did with Joe in Office, nothing to see here with his father actually going to dinners and taking phone calls during meetings.

Let's not forget about Joe's letters on official VP stationery, emails, and photos that show he was associated with Hunter's "business deals". Joe also had at least one burner cell phone (and still stupidly has it/them) that he's used to contact Hunter and associates that was paid for by Hunter (including the monthly bills).

George
Junior Expert
3.1.1  George  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1    last year

The best is the pictures of Hunters business partner on Air Force 2 going to Ukraine. Nothing to see here.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  George @3.1.1    last year
the pictures of Hunters business partner on Air Force 2 going to Ukraine. Nothing to see here.

This one?

hochstein-and-biden-ukraine-trip.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

This photo taken by White House photographer David Lienemann shows Vice President Joe Biden being briefed by Amos Hochstein, right, aboard Air Force Two on his way to Ukraine on Dec. 6, 2015 .   (White House photographer David Lienemann)

" At the time of this photo, Hochstein was in communication with Hunter Biden and Burisma where Hunter served on the board," she continued. "We also know that this photo was taken on Air Force Two ahead of Joe Biden's now infamous meeting with Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko, where Biden threatened to have aid withheld if a Ukrainian prosecutor investigating Burisma was not fired."

"All evidence points directly to Joe Biden being deeply compromised. House Republicans will leave no stone unturned in our investigations into Biden’s involvement in his family's influence peddling scheme," Stefanik added.

Hochstein, who served as special envoy and coordinator for international energy affairs under the Obama-Biden administration, was tapped as Biden’s special coordinator for global infrastructure and energy security in August 2021, and he was made special presidential coordinator to Biden in February 2022.

The rest of the article is highly interesting , too.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1.2    last year

Pure Fox!   😜

All evidence points directly...

... but we don't produce that evidence because....  

jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1.3    last year
Pure Fox! 

Anyone who reads the article will see that it provides incriminating photos from Getty Images as well as left-wing Bloomberg and Houston Chronicle. Your point?

but we don't produce that evidence because....

The House has had a majority for only 8 months. Although the left doesn't like it, they've provided a lot of evidence about the Biden Crime Family, and Joe in particular, during this time. Time will tell what happens.

It took David Weiss 5 years to come up with a "sweetheart deal" for Hunter. But, alas, it went up in smoke.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1.4    last year
evidence

"Evidence" is something that must be prodiced, and proven. The article has none. It is pure Fox: innuendo presented as evidence. Lies, basically.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1.5    last year

Do you HONESTLY believe that Joe Biden knew nothing of any of his son's business dealings still???

Are you still falling for that outrageous lie?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4  Ronin2    last year

Alright mighty mental midgets. Kushner is no longer an employee of the federal government. He is not involved in it in any way shape or form with. His company receive the money for investment 6 months after Trump left office.

Kushner was not "given" 2 billion by the Saudis. His company was for investment into real estate and stocks. The company will be paid fees for investing the money- just like any other brokerage. You want to argue the fees are too high- fine. That is on the Saudis. You want to claim Kushner and his company are too inexperienced- again that is on the Saudis. Would you want to be the Saudi that rammed this deal through? Would you want to answer to the Saudi Royal Family if this deal fails and Kushner's company loses the money?

So take your sanctimonious TDS drivel and stuff it where the sun don't shine and the rain won't go.

Hunter, Brandon's brother, and the rest of the Brandon family cannot produce one damn service they provided or product they made to get the millions that flowed into them. That is all they would have to do to end the investigation- show what they did to deserve the damn money.

By the way. The Clinton Foundation lost their foreign investments once Hillary lost the Presidential race in 2016. That wasn't a coincidence. Pay for play and money laundering was the Foundation's specialty. No power no money. Democrats/leftist don't give a rats ass when it is one of their own doing it.

George
Junior Expert
5  George    last year

Did the Saudi’s cut the investment in half after Trump left office like Burisma did with Hunter after Joe left office.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
5.1  MrFrost  replied to  George @5    last year

Did the Saudi’s cut the investment in half after Trump left office like Burisma did with Hunter after Joe left office.

Not sure but they did fly airplanes into the World Trade Center on 9/11... then gave Kushner 2 billion dollars for access to all the documents donny stole from the USA. 

George
Junior Expert
5.1.1  George  replied to  MrFrost @5.1    last year

[Deleted]

MrFrost
Professor Guide
5.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  George @5.1.1    last year

[Deleted

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @5.1    last year

You can be sure that the former 'president' sold his access to anyone and everyone with all the Top Secret/Classified documents he hoarded and showed to every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
5.1.4  MrFrost  replied to  MrFrost @5.1.2    last year

I think I'm in love with Sandy. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    last year

Saudis didn’t give kushner money. They invested money with him in the expectation kushner would make more for them through good investments.  

Russians and other oligarchs gave the Bidens money to spend however the Bidens wanted.  What did they expect in return?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    last year

Ukraine

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    last year
Saudis didn’t give kushner money.

Lucky for him they picked his name out of the phone book. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.2.1  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2    last year

Where did the Russians, Chinese, Ukrainians, Middle East pick Hunter and Francis from?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    last year
They invested money with him in the expectation kushner would make more for them through good investments.  

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7  Nerm_L    last year

So, we're back to drowning the government in a bathtub?  The story is everyone in government is corrupt so we need to do away with government.  Nominate Newt Gingrich and everybody take the Norquist pledge.

Now we're told Jared Kushner is just as corrupt as Hunter Biden.  And both influenced government at the highest levels for their own benefit.  But our political system will only allow us to choose between Trump and Biden.

Biden doesn't belong in the White House any more than Trump belongs in the White House.  But come hell or high water, one of them will be President.  We're only allowed to fight a civil war to choose the lesser evil.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Nerm_L @7    last year
Nominate Newt Gingrich

For what? Asshole Of The Month ? 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    last year
For what? Asshole Of The Month ? 

Don't you think the Democrats' corrupt candidate could beat Gingrich?  That's the only metric that matters.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.1    last year

Stop making sense.    
The deluded will never make the connection.

JBB
Professor Principal
7.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Nerm_L @7    last year

President Biden is a competent CEO who has already put together a government that is functioning well because he picks good people...

Trump or any other gop candidate will surely pick the worst persons!

The gop is going to nominate Trump. Biden will win his second term.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.2.1  Nerm_L  replied to  JBB @7.2    last year
President Biden is a competent CEO who has already put together a government that is functioning well because he picks good people...

Joe Biden was elected to the Senate in 1973 and has only worked for the government since.  Biden has never been the CEO of anything.  Hunter Biden is more of a businessman than Joe Biden.  Jill Biden is more of an administrator than Joe Biden.  In the Biden family, Joe is the least accomplished and least competent.  The only things Joe Biden are known for are a dead wife and a dead son. 

Biden relied upon what the Trump administration put in place to deal with the pandemic, illegal immigration, tariffs, and trade deals.  Biden couldn't provide leadership for our withdrawal from Afghanistan.  And Biden got the United States stuck in another decades long quagmire in Ukraine.  Trump did more to prepare NATO than has Joe Biden.  Trump shut down the economy because of the pandemic and Biden screwed up restarting the economy.  Bidenomics gave us high inflation, high interest rates, and a credit downgrade.

Trump is still a better choice than Joe Biden.  Even Biden seems to think so.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @7.2    last year
President Biden is a competent CEO

Biden is possibly the worst CEO in history.    Check that, his puppet masters are possibly the worst CEO’s in history.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @7.2    last year

lready put together a government that is functioning well because he picks good people.

US inflation has had a snowballing effect on family budgets. The typical American household spent $709 more in July than they did two years ago to buy the same goods and services, according to Moody’s Analytics.
That figure underscores the cumulative impact high inflation has had on consumer finances — even as price growth has cooled considerably in recent months. “High inflation of the past 2+ years has done lots of economic damage,” Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics, wrote in a post on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.

Heckuva job, Joey

JBB
Professor Principal
7.2.4  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.2.3    last year

You can't be serious!

original

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @7.2.1    last year

That garbage again about the war in Ukraine. started by Putin, not President Biden.

Enough of all that ignorant bullshit - and serious PD&D plus delusion, everything you say.

CB
Professor Principal
7.3  CB  replied to  Nerm_L @7    last year
We're only allowed to fight a civil war to choose the lesser evil.

There it is! An authentic call to literal war from the "cheap seats" in hopes it will go viral. Afterall, some conservatives are itching to REFORMAT the entirety of the federal government under their and their only control. Wonder what the GOP strategic plan is to do with all the bodies from another civil war? Of course, such action would take away our status as "Most Favored Nation" and roll it over to another country. I wonder which country?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @7.3    last year

[Deleted]

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.3.2  Nerm_L  replied to  CB @7.3    last year
There it is! An authentic call to literal war from the "cheap seats" in hopes it will go viral.

Bring concrete milkshakes and fireworks.  After the summer of love, no liberal has any justifiable moral standing to express outrate over literal war.  How many cities have liberals vandalized and burned?

If you are so opposed to literal war then why applaud Biden getting us stuck in Ukraine?   

The Democratic Party is the party of Civil War.  And Democrats started that war because a Republican was elected.  Democrats don't call for civil war; Democrats actually destroy cities.

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.3  CB  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.2    last year

Meh.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.3.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @7.3.3    last year

Well said CB, well said.

JBB
Professor Principal
7.3.5  seeder  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.3.4    last year

original

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.3.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @7.3.5    last year

Memes R U.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.7  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.2    last year

Why do you continue with that ignorant bullshit about Ukraine?  That war was started by Putin who murders innocent, men, women, and children.

All that ignorance which is true of red cities because of the gop/gqp/whackjobs/RWNJs?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.3.8  Nerm_L  replied to  Tessylo @7.3.7    last year
Why do you continue with that ignorant bullshit about Ukraine?  That war was started by Putin who murders innocent, men, women, and children. All that ignorance which is true of red cities because of the gop/gqp/whackjobs/RWNJs?

Ukraine shares a border with Russia.  People in Russia illegally crossed that border.  The United States is supplying lethal military aid to repel those invaders.

The United States shares a border with Mexico.  People in Mexico are illegally crossing that border.  The United States supplies aid to the invaders by sending them to cities throughout the country.

Joe Biden is trying to make Ukraine's border with Russia much more secure than the US border with Mexico.  Biden is giving direct comfort and aid to invaders of the US.  But in Kamala-lala-land that's not treason.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.9  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.8    last year

Sheer fucking ignorant bullshit appears to be all you have, [deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.3.10  bugsy  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.8    last year

Thank you, Nerm, for as always, providing truth on here. Something seriously lacking from the PD and D leftists that infest this site.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.11  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @7.3.10    last year

[removed]

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.3.12  Nerm_L  replied to  CB @7.3    last year
There it is! An authentic call to literal war from the "cheap seats" in hopes it will go viral. After all, some conservatives are itching to REFORMAT the entirety of the federal government under their and their only control. Wonder what the GOP strategic plan is to do with all the bodies from another civil war? Of course, such action would take away our status as "Most Favored Nation" and roll it over to another country. I wonder which country ?

There it is!  Actual, real violence.  Someone apparently made the call for war and look who answered.  And don't try to claim the group of looters are conservatives.

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.13  CB  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.12    last year

It should never occur because it is theft and assault. Gang activity and violence:  'Shoplfting' is not WAR! And 50 people at best makes a rather anemic platoon. But, go on and hype away to your heart's contentment.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.3.14  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @7.3.13    last year
And 50 people at best makes a rather anemic platoon

No, US platoons range from 20 - 50 soldiers.

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.15  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.3.14    last year

Military-Units-V2-2-751x1024.jpg

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.16  Sparty On  replied to  CB @7.3.15    last year

Let it go CB.

You’ve lost again.

Again.

GregTx
Professor Guide
7.3.17  GregTx  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.16    last year

Wait for it....

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.18  CB  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.16    last year

I 'never' win with you; so how would you know the difference?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.21  Sparty On  replied to  GregTx @7.3.17    last year

Bazinga!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.22  Sparty On  replied to  CB @7.3.18    last year

You are arguing military doctrine, with no personal military experience, with a career Army veteran.

I mean how can you lose?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.3.23  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @7.3.15    last year

Yea, so what?

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.24  CB  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.22    last year

What makes you think I have no military experience, Sparty On?  FYI, the image 7.3.15 I posted on military formations/units, I had in my control prior to posting to Nerm about platoons. I will be anxious to learn what you know about me. Care to 'get on' with it?

George
Junior Expert
7.3.25  George  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.3.23    last year

You should thank him for proving you 100% right.

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.26  CB  replied to  George @7.3.25    last year

I am struggling (sort of) with the fact that this article is going off the rails into the bush, 'forcibly' dragging me along with the activity.   A common recent theme by some conservatives, I am concerned of my role in it.  

To end this, I will conclude this "platoon" metaphor by saying when I wrote "anemic platoon" 7.3.13, it as in CONTEXT of a discussion about 50 hoodlums, gang-members, or whatever individual grouping they recognize themselves to be as something insignificant (weak) relative to an organized platoon. Of course, I was not given the benefit of understanding by some conservatives, but fortunately for you guys, I don't troll your comments looking for shit just for purposes of discounting your intellect, character, judgement, or self!

That's mighty big of me. 

Back to the topic I go!

GregTx
Professor Guide
7.3.27  GregTx  replied to  CB @7.3.26    last year
That's mighty big of me.  Back to the topic I go!

Good on you CB!.....

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.3.28  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @7.3.26    last year

[Deleted]

[CB is not the topic.]

charger 383
Professor Silent
7.3.29  charger 383  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.3.28    last year

comment removed for context [ph]

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.3.30  Nerm_L  replied to  CB @7.3.13    last year
It should never occur because it is theft and assault. Gang activity and violence:  'Shoplfting' is not WAR! And 50 people at best makes a rather anemic platoon. But, go on and hype away to your heart's contentment.

Platoon?  Wrong kinda war.  50 people would be a robust sleeper cell.  That's how the left wing (and antifa) fight.  War against the civil population is about Hearts 'n Minds.  That's how the brownshirts gained so much influence.  In Vietnam, how many platoons were needed to burn hooches?

Besides, it only takes about 300 fighters to completely devastate the United States.  

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.31  CB  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.30    last year

What does this have to do with "You're Not Serious People": Congress Called Out For Ignoring Jared Kushner's "Huge Scandal" | Salon.Com?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.3.32  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  CB @7.3.15    last year

Holy old information Batman.  A lot has changed since Viet Nam.  Perhaps some research will do you better in the future.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.3.33  Nerm_L  replied to  CB @7.3.31    last year
What does this have to do with "You're Not Serious People": Congress Called Out For Ignoring Jared Kushner's "Huge Scandal" | Salon.Com?

It's a response to your commentary.  I've only been following your lead.  So, your commentary had nothing to do with the topic of the seed, either.  

It's an example of how the politics of Jared Kushner is being used to lead the country astray.  Biden is another President with a corruption problem and needs to distract public attention.  It's an example of Biden leadership in a nutshell.

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.34  CB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7.3.32    last year

?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.3.35  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  CB @7.3.34    last year

You need an explanition that your meme is outdated?  Seriously?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.3.36  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @7.3.34    last year

More up to date info:

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.37  CB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7.3.35    last year

I have let it go already, Jeremy. It really is not that important to me or this discussion about JARED KUSHNER. This is not a hill I choose to die on, anyway.

Bye. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.3.38  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  CB @7.3.37    last year
I have let it go already, Jeremy.

Yeah, you never had it in the first place.  But then again, we don't expect any better from you.

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.39  CB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7.3.38    last year

JARED KUSHNER.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.3.40  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  CB @7.3.39    last year
It really is not that important to me or this discussion

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.41  CB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7.3.40    last year

JARED KUSHNER.   Washington, D.C. politicians have too many moving parts for us to keep up with on a daily basis. This is like work.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.3.42  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @7.3.41    last year

Yet you've written nothing about him other that repeating his name.

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.43  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.3.42    last year

Why the hell won't you mention him then or . . . just *3!(^%&$#!    Frankly, I am overwhelmed by all the crap that is circling around the drain in D.C. and 'beyond.' When will be ever catch a 'break.'

I am seriously thinking that social media is a big waste of time. Why? Because though it helps enlighten people to a host of problems/issues/good things about society. . .it really is a tedious and slow as molasses process spanning years of sharing. That is just my opinion so don't try to beat me up over it. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.3.44  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @7.3.43    last year
Why the hell won't you mention him then or . . . just *3!(^%&$#!   

I simply replied to your comments.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.45  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @7.3.10    last year

No truth involved

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.46  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @7.3.45    last year

You can’t handle the truth.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.3.47  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.46    last year
You can’t handle the truth.

We need HIM on the Southern border wall!

LOL!

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
7.3.48  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.8    last year

There is a difference between PEOPLE illegally crossing a border and MILITARY illegally crossing a border.  I find your comment disingenuous and disgusting.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7.3.49  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @7.3.48    last year

Invasion is invasion. Guns or no guns.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
7.3.50  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.3.49    last year

Wrong. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.3.51  Bob Nelson  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.3.49    last year

And up is down. Words have no meaning. 

Be happy!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7.3.52  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.3.51    last year

Would you call J6 an invasion? Invasion of the capital?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.3.53  Bob Nelson  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.3.52    last year

"Insurrection". Criminal offense.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7.3.54  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.3.53    last year

So is illegally crossing the border. Against the law............criminal offense.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.3.55  Bob Nelson  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.3.54    last year

C'mon Jim! Please try to stay on topic. YOU asked me a question. I answered.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7.3.56  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.3.55    last year

You jumped in with your 7.3.51 and not calling illegal crossings an invasion. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.3.57  Bob Nelson  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.3.56    last year

Whatever.

I really, really, REALLY must remember not to try to converse with you.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.3.58  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.3.57    last year

You could put a reminder Post-it Note on your screen.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8  Sean Treacy    last year

You must have missed this:

US inflation has had a snowballing effect on family budgets.   The typical American household spent $709 more in July than they did two years ago to buy the same goods and services, according to Moody’s Analytics.
T hat figure underscores the cumulative impact high inflation has had on consumer finances  — even as price growth has cooled considerably in recent months.   “High inflation of the past 2+ years has done lots of economic damage,” Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics, wrote in a post on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.

JBB
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @8    last year

You must not have seen this, or know that inflation is under control...

original Is Biden's a bad economy? This chart doesn't indicate a bad economy!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @8.1    last year

The old shuck and jive.    

How many NEW jobs has he created?

NEW jobs …….

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  dennis smith @8.1.2    last year

And an inflation uptick in July …..

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @8.1    last year

so tell us all again why people can't pay their own debts off in this stellar economy. tell us why credit card debt has skyrocketed.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.4    last year

And home ownership rates in the US have gone down under Biden.

Happy days are here again.  

Happy days!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @8.1    last year
Is Biden's a bad economy?

Can you name a President with higher inflation in the last 20 years?

Can you name a time in US History when consumer debt was higher?

Can you explain why Joe Biden and a host of dumb Democrats think people can't pay their own legal debts in what YOU claim to be a stellar economy?

Or is Joe too distracted by the years-long, legally predicated, multiple investigations of Hunter Biden by the IRS, Justice Department, and now Congress into his affairs to effectively govern?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @8.1    last year

No answer to 8.1.1, obfuscation noted ….. keep running from the truth

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.6    last year

And homelessness is up under Biden’s watch.

Great economy eh?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @8.1.8    last year
And homelessness is up under Biden’s watch. Great economy eh?

I wonder how many homeless people could have been helped with just what we spend every single month housing immigrants, feeding them, clothing them, educating them, etc.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.10  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.9    last year

I know, it’s pretty messed up to say the least.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @8    last year

inflation under Biden is a continuing problem. maybe because Joe thought it was temporary.

I dont know if Joe can concentrate long enough to accomplish anything, what with the LEGALLY PREDICATED INVESTIGATIONS INTO HUNTER BIDEN BY THE IRS, THE JUSTICE DEPT. AND NOW CONGRESS DISTRACTING HIM SO.

JBB
Professor Principal
8.2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2    last year

original

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @8.2.1    last year

Post COVID, Biden is on track to pass Trump addiktion to the national debt.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @8.2.1    last year

but your golden boy Joe has seen high inflation, Americans with record credit card debt, sky high interest rates all under Joe. tell us why people can't pay their bills.

or is Joe too distracted by the legally predicated multiple investigations by Congress, the IRS, and the JD into his son?

George
Junior Expert
8.2.4  George  replied to  JBB @8.2.1    last year

And Obama raised it by almost 100%, but that’s okay because democrats expect less from Obama.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  JBB @8.2.1    last year

Your chart is correct.   The reality of a fiscally conservative GOP is long dead.   But of course national debt is a failure of both parties and both the Executive and Legislative branches.   Our politicians are fiscally irresponsible and have been for decades now.

How has the national debt changed over time?  

The national debt has grown by $25.73 trillion since 1993. The largest single-term increases took place under President Donald Trump, largely in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and President Barack Obama’s first term during the Great Recession.

• Under President Bill Clinton, the national debt began at approximately $4.23 trillion [1] and grew to $5.73 trillion, a 35.5% increase.
  • Under President George W. Bush, the national debt grew from $5.73 to $10.63 trillion, a 85.5% increase.
  • Under President Barack Obama, the national debt grew from $10.63 to $19.96 trillion, a 87.8% increase.
  • Under President Donald Trump, the national debt grew from $19.96 to $27.77 trillion, a 39.1% increase.
  • As of March 1, 2023, the national debt has grown from $27.77 trillion to $31.46 trillion under President Joe Biden, a 13.3% increase.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
8.2.6  Ronin2  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.5    last year

Don't sell Brandon short. From March he still has more than another year and a half to go to add to that total.

He also doesn't have massive Covid spending or the Afghanistan War adding to his total. But he is doing a great job of replacing Afghanistan spending with Ukraine spending- so expect his totals to increase dramatically.

There are no fiscally responsible politicians, period. That includes Democrats.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.7  TᵢG  replied to  Ronin2 @8.2.6    last year
Don't sell Brandon short.

Childish name-calling that discredits everything you write.

From March he still has more than another year and a half to go to add to that total.

It no longer shocks me when the national debt rises.   For more than two decades now, both parties and both the Executive and Legislative branches have demonstrated that they simply do not care about the national debt.

There are no fiscally responsible politicians, period. That includes Democrats.

I think you should have stated "that includes Republicans" since the GOP used to be the party of fiscal responsibility.   But you are correct that predominantly our politicians continue to kick the can of national debt down the road.   This is a good case to use the word 'despicable'.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  Ronin2 @8.2.6    last year
There are no fiscally responsible politicians, period.

Very true, and no amount of spin changes that.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.9  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.7    last year

What's the problem with our national debt? It's a big number, and big numbers are scary.... but what are its negative conséquences?

Interest payments are so low that we really should be borrowing MORE for investments.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.10  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.9    last year

The problem is that our national debt compromises the good faith of the USD and good faith (confidence in value and future value) is the only factor that gives it value.

Since our politicians are clearly fiscally irresponsible and will not reduce our debt in the foreseeable future, the most likely way to retain the good faith of the USD is to grow the GDP.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.2.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.9    last year

Exactly, interest on the National Debt will only be around $663 billion this year and only $745 billion next year to $1.4 trillion in 2033.

I’m sorry that these big numbers scare you.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.12  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.10    last year

The first sign of declining desire to buy dollar debt would be rising interest costs. This is not happening - not even a glimmer. On the contrary, US debt is sought after, resulting in crazy low interest rates. If private investors could get loans like this they'd be running every investment project they could think of. At 4.6%, the interest we pay is at a record high. Would you not take advantage of rates like that?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.13  Bob Nelson  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2.11    last year

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.9    last year
What's the problem with our national debt? It's a big number, and big numbers are scary.... but what are its negative conséquences?

About 10% of federal spending is spent on servicing the debt.

Many people can easily recognize the problems with that.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.15  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2.14    last year

What is the problem? Try to actually explain.... 

Getting cheap loans is good. Duh.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8.2.16  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2    last year
maybe because Joe thought it was temporary.

There were 9 different occasions Geriatric Joe got it wrong (like that's any surprise).

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.17  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.15    last year

if you can't see that paying around 10% (a number sure to increase) is a bad thing i have nothing for you.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.2.18  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.15    last year

Getting cheap loans is good. Duh.

And pay them back with inflated money, nothing but good.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.2.19  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.12    last year
The first sign of declining desire to buy dollar debt would be rising interest costs. This is not happening - not even a glimmer.

Interest rate on US debt Jan 22 = 1.57%

Interest rate on US debt Jul 23 =  2.84%

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.20  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.12    last year

The good faith and value of the USD is based on myriad complex factors, and our national debt is one of them.

Explaining its rationale for the downgrade,   Fitch pointed to “the expected fiscal deterioration over the next three years, a high and growing general government debt burden, and the erosion of governance relative to ‘AA’ and ‘AAA’ rated peers over the last two decades that has manifested in repeated debt limit standoffs and last-minute resolutions.”.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.21  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2.17    last year

Why "sure to increase"? Why do you just invent?

Why is 10% of budget so terrible? Lots of families owe more than that.

Tossing out numbers with explanation is... stupid.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.22  Bob Nelson  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2.19    last year

Would you like to compare that evolution with any other costs during that period? 

Context zero!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.2.23  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.22    last year

Evolution?

Don't need to, as usual, you were wrong.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.24  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.20    last year

Fitch was blowing its own horn. No serious economist took their move for anything but theater.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.25  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.21    last year
Why "sure to increase"?

Because that is what the facts tell us. We continue to borrow more and more money while interest rates continue to go up. Hence, any money borrowed will incur higher interest payments. It's just plain old math.

Why do you just invent?

Get a clue. Do some research. 

Why is 10% of budget so terrible? Lots of families owe more than that.

This is the government, not families. 10% NOW and what will it be in 10 years?

Tossing out numbers with explanation is... stupid.

Tossing out criticisms about things you don't understand is..........ignorant.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.2.26  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.24    last year

Fitch's rating just caught up with S&P's rating.

Thomas Hoenig recently said, "

Thomas Hoenig recently said “the fiscal projections for the U.S. are so stunning that reform must occur. The U.S. government must discipline itself and adjust its spending and tax programs. The monetary authorities must cease enabling the government’s excess spending. It is that simple and that difficult.”

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.2.27  Sparty On  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2.26    last year

Powell is trying but he’s about the only one.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.28  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2.26    last year
Thomas Hoenig recently said “the fiscal projections for the U.S. are so stunning that reform must occur. The U.S. government must discipline itself and adjust its spending and tax programs. The monetary authorities must cease enabling the government’s excess spending. It is that simple and that difficult.”

That is true.

I believe it may be too difficult for current politicians to solve.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.29  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2.25    last year

Once again... my bad for trying to have a genuine conversation with you. jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.30  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.29    last year

awwg-1.jpg

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.31  Bob Nelson  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2.26    last year

Typical not-in-power Heritage Foundation pap. Then they get power and propose tax cuts.

Been there, done that.  jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.2.32  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.31    last year

Heritage Foundation?  What are you talking about?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2.33  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2.32    last year

jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.2.34  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.31    last year

"The cumulative total deficit over the 2023–2032 period is $ 3.1 trillion larger in CBO’s current baseline projections than it was in the agency’s May 2022 projections, mainly because of newly enacted legislation and changes to the economic forecast that boost projected net interest outlays and spending on mandatory programs, such as Social Security."

"Debt is projected to rise in relation to GDP, mainly because of increasing interest costs and the growth of spending on major health care programs and Social Security."

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.35  Bob Nelson  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2.34    last year

The sun will rise tomorrow!

Citing a fact, without explaining its implications, is.... nonsense.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.2.36  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.35    last year

Actually, the sun doesn’t rise.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.37  Bob Nelson  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2.36    last year

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.38  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.37    last year

So you think it does? Just wow.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.2.39  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.37    last year

I'm sorry the the CBO quote 8.2.34 was to complicated for you to understand.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.2.40  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.2.38    last year

Maybe he enjoys smacking himself, I think that it is called Nonsuicidal Self-Injury Disorder.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.41  Bob Nelson  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.2.38    last year

So for you, the Sun never shines...

That's very sad.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.42  Bob Nelson  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.2.39    last year

It's apparently too difficult for someone...

jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.2.43  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.42    last year

Yes, I see that it went over your head.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.44  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.2.41    last year

So in your world, the sun revolves around the earth. That's quite a strange take on known science don't you think?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.2.45  Bob Nelson  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @8.2.44    last year

In my world, the Sun sometimes shines, thankfully. Ordinary people say "day begins at sunrise". Does the Sun not rise in your world?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9  Sean Treacy    last year

You have to give them time to adjust. The new talking point is that  "it's clear that Hunter Biden did a lot of unlawful and awful things", per reliable progressive parrot Jaime Raskin yesterday.  So now they can claim they've always known Hunter was a criminal, they just want to let the system work and there's no reason to discuss this while the investigation continues, and continues and continues.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @9    last year

I have but two words for Raskin.

Fuck you.

Joe Biden, as dumb as he may appear at times, knows something about Hunter's business despite his lies to the contrary.

Probably why they tried to give Hunter such a sweetheart deal!