╌>

Prince William and Rishi Sunak blasted for failure to attend Women’s World Cup final

Category:  Sports

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  9 months ago  •  8 comments

By:   Written by Sian Bradley and Harriet Williamson

Prince William and Rishi Sunak blasted for failure to attend Women’s World Cup final

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Prince William and Rishi Sunak have been slammed for failing to attend the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup final. (Getty)

Senior British royals Prince William and King Charles, along with the UK prime minister Rishi Sunak, have come under fire for failing to attend the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup final in Australia.

It’s the first time that England has made it to a  World Cup  final since 1966, and questions are being asked about why none of the royals or Britain’s prime minister have decided to attend, and whether it would be a different story if the men’s team were playing.

Beloved former  Countdown  presenter Carol Vorderman was among those blasting Prince William, who serves as the president of the Football Association (FA), for deciding not to watch  the Lionesses  make history as they face off against Spain on Sunday (20 August).

Prince William, President of the FA, isn't travelling to support the Lionesses in the World Cup Final.

Queen Letizia of Spain is going with her 16 yr old daughter.
NOTE
British Royal Family is the MOST EXPENSIVE in Europe ⏬️ (2021)
Spain the cheapest.

ALSO NOTE
British…  pic.twitter.com/zULG7b8Djh
— Carol Vorderman (@carolvorders)  August 20, 2023

Vorderman pointed out that Queen Letizia of Spain has managed to make the trip with her 16-year-old daughter.

Facing Spain’s La Roja at Stadium Australia in Sydney, this is the first World Cup final for  England’s Lionesses , who made it through after defeating  Australia’s Matildas  3-1 in a thrilling semi-final.

Prince William’s failure to attend has been widely condemned on social media, despite claims from a palace source that the Prince of Wales is concerned about his carbon footprint. The source also suggested that William is not attending because a short visit would not be “diplomatically astute”,  the Daily Mail  reported.

It is unclear why King Charles decided not to attend. 

‘A dereliction of duty’

Broadcasters  Gabby Logan India Willoughby  and  Piers Morgan  were among those criticising the prime minister and royal family for their failure to attend, with Logan describing herself as “disappointed” with Prince William’s decision.

Former tech and culture minister Ed Vaizey posted that it would be “unthinkable” for Sunak and William to “miss a men’s final”, while Mandu Reid, leader of the Women’s Equality Party,  wrote : “Women have fought for decades to get even an iota of recognition in football. For Prince William to shirk the World Cup Final is the wrong move, deeply disappointing and calls in to question how sincere he is when he proclaims his support for women’s sport.”

One social media user called William’s absence  “a dereliction of duty” , and  another blasted  the Prince and prime minister’s decision not to attend as “shameful” and “plain sexism”, writing that “if the men were in the World Cup final, everyone, and their dog, would be there”.

The President of the Football Association’s failure to go and cheer the lionesses at the World Cup — shows it’s time for Prince William to step down and give the role to a woman who does care about our  #lionesses pic.twitter.com/gVPtN0S8yG — Dr Charlotte Proudman (@DrProudman)  August 20, 2023

It really is absolutely wild that Prince William – the whole President of the English Football Association – is skipping a World Cup final where England is competing. Just unreal. — Franklin Leonard (@franklinleonard)  August 20, 2023

They should if you agree to be President of the Football Association and England reach a World Cup Final. If it was the men’s team, he’d be there faster than I sprint to McDonald’s when the craving gets too much.  https://t.co/fMSeobbncP — Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan)  August 19, 2023

PM and Prince William should go to World Cup Final (if there’s still time). It would be unthinkable for them to miss a men’s final. — Ed Vaizey (@edvaizey)  August 18, 2023

Women have fought for decades to get even an iota of recognition in football. For PrinceWilliam to shirk the World Cup Final is the wrong move, deeply disappointing and calls in to question how sincere he is when he proclaims his support for women’s sport. https://t.co/qh8LDsWQ06 — Mandu Reid (@ManduReid)  August 18, 2023

No excuse for Prince William – President of the Football Association- not to be at tomorrow’s World Cup Final for the England team. It’s basically his job. And no amount of “good luck” messages to the Lionesses make up for it. ⚽️  pic.twitter.com/2s1r8Rq7Bi — India Willoughby (@IndiaWilloughby)  August 19, 2023

If the England men’s team were playing in a World Cup Final, Prince William (FA President) would be there. Rishi Sunak would be there. They would make flying over to Australia look as easy as popping to the corner shop for a pint of milk. — Simon Harris – Man Behaving Dadly (THAT’S DADLY) (@simonharris_mbd)  August 17, 2023

Using Princess Charlotte, as PR shield to deflect from backlash of deplorable decision not to support  #Lionesses  in person as FA President, is stereotypically sexist & patriarchal. Brings out cute young daughter instead

Prince William seriously lacks good sense  #WorldCupFinal   https://t.co/GT33aR0fZN
— Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu (@SholaMos1)  August 19, 2023

I cannot believe the Prime Minister and Prince William are not showing up to see our courageous national women’s team play their first World Cup final.

What a bloody national disgrace. You can bet anything that they wouldn’t have missed it was the men’s national team. Wasters.  pic.twitter.com/nm4PXxPFUY
— David Challen (@David_Challen)  August 19, 2023

Satirical political candidate Count Binface even  shared a photo  from the final, mocking the Prince of Wales and Sunak for not attending.

Prince William fails you.
Rishi Sunak fails you.
Count Binface steps in.
Come on England! #Lionesses   #wwcfinal   pic.twitter.com/7g6958zzKw
— Count Binface (@CountBinface)  August 20, 2023

‘I’m sorry we can’t be there in person’

Prince William and Rishi Sunak both recorded video messages apologising for not making it to the  2023 World Cup  final, and wishing the team good luck. 

The Prince of Wales  shared a video  with his daughter Princess Charlotte saying: “Lionesses, I want to send you a huge good luck for tomorrow, I am sorry we can’t be there in person. But we are so proud of everything you have achieved and the millions you’ve inspired here and around the world. So go out there tomorrow and really enjoy yourselves.”

The King opted out of a video message, instead giving a statement posted on the Royal Family’s official X account media,  which read : “Good luck today Lionesses, and may you roar to victory.”

Sunak posted a message to the team , saying he would be “watching and cheering them on”. Addressing the letter to “Sarina and all our Lionesses”, the prime minister wrote: “On behalf of the entire country, I want to wish you the best of luck against Spain in the World Cup final!

“Once again, this summer, you’ve made us all proud. From beating the Aussies in their own backyard to winning that penalty shoot-out, you have inspired us with your skill, teamwork and courage.

“This weekend, like millions of others, I will be watching and cheering you on. But whatever the result, I want you to know that you have already secured a lasting legacy: that every girl in this country will have equal access to all school sport, including football.”

Red Box Rules

Contraventions of the Terms of Service, the Code of Conduct, and off topic comments all will be deleted.  Videos and images that cannot be opened by the seeder must be described or they will be deleted.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    9 months ago

I have been watching the Women's FIFA World Cup games, and I just finished watching this final one wherein Spain beat England 1-0.  I have enjoyed watching the women play football ("soccer" to you Yankees) more than the men's games.

It is a travesty that no British Royalty nor Prime Minister Sunak attended that final championship game.  Chucky could have at least sent his wife, old horseface, you know, the third person in Princess Diana's marriage.  In my opinion, I think it would have given the British team, the Lionesses, more spirit and could have made a difference, because I think their being ignored the way they were probably disappointed them which was bound to affect their energy and motivation.

shona1
PhD Quiet
1.1  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    9 months ago

Evening Buzz.. it's never football it's flipping soccer..We play football or footy as it is known here AFL which is a unique game and we use an oval shaped ball which can be bounced on the ground. A round ball is to easy.

Of cause they wouldn't come here, we beat them in test cricket their national game..we flogged them in netball their national game...and we gave them a run for their money in the soccer their national game..we came forth over all so we were certainly up their with the European power houses..🤣🤣

The Brits come here to see the soccer..you have got to be joking...

I was barracking for the Spanish..

🇦🇺🐨🦘

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @1.1    9 months ago

As you know, I sent you a message supporting the Matildas, and did the same with your fellow-countryman Way, and we kept in touch, and when the Matildas lost I told Way that from that point on I'm rooting for the Spanish, so I'm glad they won.  Way told me that the Matildas are loved in Australia win or lose. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
1.1.2  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    9 months ago

Yes they are.. they certainly did us proud considering who we were up against..we gave it a bloody good go..

Was hoping the Kiwi's would have done a bit better but wasn't to be..

So yep we are still the..

Thunder from Down Under..

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    9 months ago

I am sorry, but I do believe it is wrongheaded to expect heads of state or even busy family men to be in Australia for this sporting event. There is no getting around it being on the complete opposite side of the world, taking days and huge expense to just get there and it not being that important.

Do not get me wrong, Australia and New Zealand are wonderful places to visit. They just aren't places to go for a quick turnaround. You should plan a trip and be able to spend some time there. Not to mention the security needs of heads of state interfering with everything and everyone else's comings and goings. Just my opinion...

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.1  shona1  replied to  JBB @2    9 months ago

Morning JBB...days to get here?? Huh??? We are basically only 24 hours from anywhere around the world. Melbourne to London approx 24 hours, Melbourne to LA approx 14... Melbourne to Auckland 4..

But it will be an even longer flight for the Brits after losing...🤣🤣🦘🦘

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JBB  replied to  shona1 @2.1    9 months ago

I only meant that it is a shame to make such a long trip and then have to turn right around and go back to work. I was fortunate enough to spend two weeks in Australia, which wasn't enough. I just do not look for slights where none were intended... 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @2    9 months ago

The Queen of Spain made it her business to be there with her daughter, and I'm sure that had a positive effect on the Spanish team.  I don't think Madrid is much farther from Australia than London is, and England is a much wealthier nation than Spain, but so be it, eh?   But after all, women's sports don't deserve a symbolic boost as much as men's sports do.  s/