╌>

What happens if one of them dies?

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  gregtx  •  11 months ago  •  38 comments

What happens if one of them dies?
Let's start with the obvious: It's perfectly normal for men in the back half of their 70s and beyond to die. The current life expectancy for men in America is 76 (and plummeting by the day). Former President Donald Trump will be 78 next November. President Joe Biden will be 81.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Let's start with the obvious: It's perfectly normal for men in the back half of their 70s and beyond to die. The current life expectancy for men in America is 76 (and plummeting by the day). Former President Donald Trump will be 78 next November. President Joe Biden will be 81.

Both men also appear visibly unhealthy. Biden frequently falls. It's easy to forget that each tumble Biden takes on the steps of Air Force One is a potentially life-threatening event. In fact, 32,000 elderly Americans die per year due to injuries related to falls. The fall Biden took on his bike in Delaware last summer was particularly disturbing because his reflexes didn't seem to activate as he collapsed sideways to the pavement.

Biden also frequently wanders despite being closely handled by his staff and the first lady. Wandering is common among people who develop Alzheimer's disease, which is the fifth leading cause of death in Americans above the age of 65. Reports of his increasingly frequent and severe temper tantrums are also consistent with an Alzheimer's diagnosis, as are his frequent mental lapses in public.

Trump isn't faring much better. While he's maintained his mental acuity, he is visibly heavier than ever. The last physical results from his term as president revealed that his body mass index was 30.4, which is considered obese. His waistline seems to have ballooned significantly since then, a fact he recently admitted . Obesity is particularly deadly for men at Trump's age. The higher someone's BMI, the shorter their lifespan. The life expectancy of an individual with a BMI over 30 is 77.7 years, which will be Trump's age by Super Tuesday. Doubtless, Trump's poor diet and admitted lack of exercise are leading contributors to his obesity. His son, Donald Trump Jr., recently remarked that no one alive has eaten more McDonald's per capita than his father.

Trump is also a relentlessly negative person, which tends to exacerbate poor health, particularly in the elderly . People who regularly engage in negative emotions are more likely to develop dementia than those who don't, and people who are frequently hostile have a higher risk of developing heart disease. It stands to reason that Trump's tendency toward negative emotion will become more pronounced in the coming months as he attempts to fend off multiple federal indictments that carry the potential of a life sentence while running for president.

Of the two possibilities, a premature Trump death is the more harrowing. Forty percent of the country would immediately pour into the streets for a victory parade that would make Pride month look like supper with Great-Aunt Doris. Another 40% would scour the internet for the real story — after the Russiagate hoax and the Hunter Biden laptop cover-up, who could blame them? Others would greet revelers in the streets with AR-15s slung over their shoulders. Who knows what might happen next?

A premature Biden death would be less immediately intense but no less calamitous. It would elevate Vice President Kamala Harris, a politician of such little stature that she was slated to finish sixth in the presidential primary of her home state in 2020 before dropping out. Her presence atop the Democratic ticket would further debase our national politics. A general election matchup between Harris and Trump would almost certainly be the pettiest, dumbest, and most combustible in American history. The sheer idiocy that would reverberate out from such a clash could finally undo the social fabric for good.

The Trump era has seen the nation undergo one monumental stress test after another. That our democracy still stands is a testament to the genius of the framers. But the sudden death of either Biden or Trump would stretch our internal tension to its limits.

The odds of a major political death are untenably high as we enter presidential election season. There is still a chance that one or both of the parties will come to their senses and deny their respective nominations to these old and unhealthy men. But I'm not holding my breath.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

GregTx
Professor Guide
1  seeder  GregTx    11 months ago
It would elevate Vice President Kamala Harris, a politician of such little stature that she was slated to finish sixth in the presidential primary of her home state in 2020 before dropping out.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  GregTx @1    11 months ago

A truly terrifying thought.

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    11 months ago

Everyone dies. The question is not if someone might die. It is who do we trust to do the job, hire the best people and make good decisions. Obviously incumbents and even maybe an ex President would have an advantage. That is, of course, unless they just so happen to be a defeated disgraced sorry excuse of a loser facing 91 felonies. In that case? No Way!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    11 months ago

There isnt a shred of evidence or informed opinion that would lead to the conclusion that the nation would be in some sort of serious jeopardy if Kamala Harris became president. 

This mantra is all the result of right wing propaganda that has seeped into mainstream media. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3    11 months ago
There isnt a shred of evidence or informed opinion that would lead to the conclusion that the nation would be in some sort of serious jeopardy if Kamala Harris became president. 

I dare say there isn't an intelligent person in America who wants Kamala Harris in the Oval Office.

The woman is a disaster.

Seriously, you can't SEE that?

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.1  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    11 months ago
Seriously, you can't SEE that?

For most leftists, all they see is the almighty D next to their name.

Being that a religion (a cult, just like climate change), it doesn't matter who is in front of the letter.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    11 months ago

Trump.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.2    11 months ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

must be hell to have a one track mind.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    11 months ago

WHY is she a disaster that would disqualify her from being president?  Lets see if for once in your life here you can make some actual points. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    11 months ago

good lord, man, where have you been?

Harris the border czar--immense failure. Even Democrats are bitching about immigration.

Harris came in what, 6th in her own state in the primary?

Ever hear the witch cackle?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    11 months ago

!

And now, how about you answering two questions for me.

Why do the Bidens have shell companies set up and what services did they provide for the millions they raked in?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.5    11 months ago

In other words you cant explain why Harris is unqualified to be president. Other than that you want her to be. 

For example, you say that her finish in a primary disqualifies her. Well, she was chosen to be vice president. That trumps your lame argument about a primary. 

Your other argument is that you are not happy with the way the Biden administration is handling the border. How does that disqualify Harris? 

Dick Cheney counseled George W. Bush to start a war with Iraq? Would that have disqualified Cheney if Bush had died in office? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.7    11 months ago

Well, first off, I never said she wasn't qualified. I know what the qualifications are and she met them or she wouldn't be vp.

Harris is the Border Czar. Her baby which she has pretty much ignored.

I am sorry you didn't like my answer, but oh well.

want to take a shot at my questions?

GregTx
Professor Guide
3.2  seeder  GregTx  replied to  JohnRussell @3    11 months ago

How would you rank Kamala Harris?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  GregTx @3.2    11 months ago

Among the rankest?

GregTx
Professor Guide
3.2.2  seeder  GregTx  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.2.1    11 months ago

Among former Vice President's and their ability to become President....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  GregTx @3.2    11 months ago

Here are the vice presidents of the past 30 years - Al Gore, Dick Cheney, Joe Biden, Mike Pence, and Kamala Harris.

I dont see why she should be called unqualified compared to any of those.  The smearing of Harris is right wing propaganda. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.3    11 months ago

well if we were talking about other vps you would have had a point.

GregTx
Professor Guide
3.2.5  seeder  GregTx  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.3    11 months ago
Here are the vice presidents of the past 30 years - Al Gore, Dick Cheney, Joe Biden, Mike Pence, and Kamala Harris

Okay, so where would you rank her in that hot mess?...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  GregTx @3.2.5    11 months ago

Dead last in that group and it wasn't even close.

GregTx
Professor Guide
3.2.7  seeder  GregTx  replied to  GregTx @3.2.5    11 months ago

It's really not a hard question John....

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  Vic Eldred    11 months ago

If either Joe Biden were to die in office or former President Trump were to die, it would propel their respective parties to high voter sympathy/appeal/turnout.

People tend to look at a leader who dies much differently than when that individual was alive. As Jane Fonda might say it would be a gift.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    11 months ago

if trump were to croak, his approval skyrockets and he would be unbeatable in the GOP primaries*...

* and no more pesky court appearances...

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5  Thrawn 31    11 months ago

We win.

GregTx
Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  GregTx  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5    11 months ago

Who's "we" and what do "we win"?..

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  GregTx @5.1    11 months ago

If it Brandon that dies it is President Harris. 

In which case our enemies win; and our allies take full advantage of us.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.1    11 months ago

So basically exactly the same as having trump or one of his stooges in office. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    11 months ago

The cabinet and advisers who guide the POTUS whomsoever they might be could be more important than the figurehead who might be POTUS in order to maintain a good government, provided the POTUS has the good sense to take good advice   But hey, don't worry, I'm 86 and I THINK I'm still among the lucid.  What really pisses me off, though, is when I read this line in the seed: "t's easy to forget that each tumble Biden takes on the steps of Air Force One is a potentially life-threatening event."  I go back to when the media actually had integrity, when awards were given for the newspaper with the least bias (impossible to award these days) when all the photographers lowered their cameras when FDR fell coming down the Air Force 1 ramp, back when you could actually TRUST the news because you heard it from Walter Cronkite. 

GregTx
Professor Guide
6.1  seeder  GregTx  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    11 months ago

Careful Buzz, that post kinda sounds like an American conservative pining for the good old days.../s

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  GregTx @6.1    11 months ago

For me, the good old days were back in the early 1950s.  How many times have I begged Scotty to beam me back there?  However when I was old enough to vote I always voted Liberal, but the last Liberal I ever voted for was Justin's father, Pierre Elliott Trudeau, the best PM Canada ever had.  I thought so even when he hit on my daughter at a cocktail party we were at in Montreal, but at least that showed he had excellent taste.  After him I have always voted Conservative. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    11 months ago
What Happens If One Of Them Dies?
Normally, I’d say the short answer is the party would have to get behind a different candidate. But at this point, I think Trump supporters would vote for him even if he were dead. Then, when his corpse isn’t sworn in, they’ll insist the election was stolen, due to some conspiracy.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @7    11 months ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.2  devangelical  replied to  Tacos! @7    11 months ago
I think Trump supporters would vote for him even if he were dead

they got past all his character flaws and his attempts to steal an election, voting for a dried up stiff seems tame. he'd definitely be a lot more popular with the opposition in the past tense...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  devangelical @7.2    11 months ago

Americans have voted 9 dogs, a cat and 3 goats into office.  No surprise they would vote for a corpse.  LINK ->

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7.3  Ronin2  replied to  Tacos! @7    11 months ago

A corpse is better than a Democrat?

That sounds about right.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @7.3    11 months ago

There are members on this site who believe Biden is among the Living Dead already.

Dragon
Freshman Silent
8  Dragon    11 months ago

It is important who a president has as advisors, in cabinet, and who controls Congress at the time. A president isn't a standalone entity. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9  bbl-1    11 months ago

What happens if one of them---or both of them---dies?  There will be a funeral and the nation and the political landscape will adjust.