╌>

Troubles for Biden not just his age in reelection campaign: POLL

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  s  •  last year  •  152 comments

Troubles for Biden not just his age in reelection campaign: POLL
Trump has 51% support while Biden has 42%

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Joe Biden's job approval rating is 19 points underwater, his ratings for handling the economy and immigration are at career lows. A record number of Americans say they've become worse off under his presidency, three-quarters say he's too old for another term and Donald Trump is looking better in retrospect -- all severe challenges for Biden in his reelection campaign ahead.

Forty-four percent of Americans in the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll say they've gotten worse off financially under Biden's presidency, the most for any president in ABC/Post polls since 1986. Just 37% approve of his job performance, while 56% disapprove. Still fewer approve of Biden's performance on the economy, 30%.

On handling immigration at the U.S.-Mexico border, Biden's rating is even lower, with 23% approval. In terms of intensity of sentiment, 20% strongly approve of his work overall, while 45% strongly disapprove. And the 74% who say he's too old for a second term is up 6 percentage points since May. Views that Trump is too old also are up, but to 50% in this poll, produced for ABC by   Langer Research Associates .

Such is down-on-Biden sentiment that if a government shutdown occurs at month's end, 40% say they'd chiefly blame him and the Democrats in Congress, versus 33% who'd pin it on the Republicans in Congress -- even given the GOP infighting behind the budget impasse.

Trump, for his part, has improved in retrospect. When he reluctantly left office in January 2021, 38% approved of his work as president, essentially the same as Biden's rating now. But currently, looking back, 48% say they approve of Trump's performance when he was in office -- matching his peak as president. Essentially as many -- 49% -- now disapprove, down from 60% when he left the White House.

Comparison with Biden may be a factor. Among the 56% of Americans who disapprove of Biden's work in office, a wide 75% say that, looking back, they approve of Trump.

It's also notable that Trump has an even split in his retrospective job approval rating even as most Americans continue to reject his assertion that the 2020 election was stolen from him. Sixty percent of Americans instead say Biden legitimately won, and an additional 12% have no opinion; 29% think Biden did not win legitimately.

Election

These views play into early-stage election preferences. A remarkable 62% of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents say the party should pick someone other than Biden as its nominee in 2024; just a third back Biden. Desire for a different candidate is at a numerical high, but also consistent with past results (56 to 58%) the past year.

Who, if not Biden, is an open question. In an open-ended question, 8% express a preference for Kamala Harris, 8% for Bernie Sanders and 7% for Robert F. Kennedy Jr., with other mentions in the low single digits. Just "someone else" comes in at 20%.

Trump has far broader intraparty support; 54% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents favor him for the GOP nomination, again similar to previous results, and well ahead of his opposition. Ron DeSantis has 15% support, compared with 25% (using a slightly different question approach) in May. All others are in single digits.

Head-to-head in a hypothetical November 2024 matchup, Trump has 51% support while Biden has 42% -- numerically up 3 points for Trump and down 2 points for Biden from an ABC/Post poll in February, shifts that are not statistically significant.

There's even less change from the most recent ABC/Post poll in May, which had the race at 49-42% (again with a different, but comparable, question wording). Still, with Trump inching over 50% -- and other polls showing a closer contest -- a close look is warranted.

Factors

A variety of factors may be at play. Biden's poor performance ratings, the extent of economic discontent, the immigration crisis and doubts about his age clearly are relevant. All have been the subject of extensive recent news coverage, focusing public discourse on negatives for the president. Trump, meanwhile, has used his criminal indictments to bolster his base through claims of political persecution and enjoys positive coverage of his GOP frontrunner status.

Question order can be a factor. As is customary for ABC/Post polls at this still-early stage of an election cycle, this survey asked first about Biden and Trump's performance, economic sentiment and a handful of other issues (Ukraine aid, abortion and a government shutdown) before candidate preferences. That's because these questions are more germane than candidate support in an election so far off. Since many results are negative toward Biden, it follows that he's lagging in 2024 support. Nonetheless, those sentiments are real, have been consistently negative in recent surveys, and clearly mark Biden's challenges ahead.

Another possible factor is message-sending. A hypothetical vote-preference question 14 months before an election is predictive of nothing; it's best seen as an opportunity for the public to express its like or dislike of the candidates. Biden is broadly unpopular and doubts about his suitability for a second term are extensive; wherever they end up in more than a year, a substantial number of Americans today are taking the opportunity to express their displeasure.

In one example of message-sending, among people who say Trump should be prohibited by the U.S. Constitution from serving again as president, 18% also support him over Biden for 2024. Such people seem to be expressing their antipathy toward Biden, not their support for Trump.

In terms of sampling, this survey was conducted using the ABC/Post poll's longstanding   methodology . Demographic results are typical. So are partisan preferences; 25% of respondents identify themselves as Democrats, 25% as Republicans and 42% as independents. Forty-one percent are Democrats or independents who lean toward the Democratic Party; 45% are Republicans or lean toward the GOP, consistent this year.

Additionally, survey respondents who say they voted in 2020 report having supported Biden over Trump by 50-46%, very close to the actual outcome, 51-47%.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sean Treacy    last year

The border, his age, his corruption and inflation all taking a toll

Someone in his party should probably  wake him up and tell him that pandering to the extreme left  and fighting for infinite pronouns and illegal immigrants isn't working. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    last year

We're rapidly approaching the drop-dead date where the Dems are going to HAVE to make a decision run someone other than Dementia Joe. As distasteful as it is to me to vote for Trump again, as I much prefer DeSantis, there is no way Biden can realistically stumble and mumble his way through another full term....the electorate is fed up.

Even more importantly, the Repubs have to vote out those obstructionist Establishment RINO's, gain a few seats in the House, and a handful in the Senate. The odds of that happening are increasing on a daily basis as the border invasion continues.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    last year

meh, I have a lemons into lemonade outlook towards 2024. if the unthinkable happens, I look forward to defending the constitution from those that support autocracy, fascism, and putin.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.2.1  bugsy  replied to  devangelical @1.2    last year

You're going to go against democrats?

Hm..that's a change, but good for ya.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  bugsy @1.2.1    last year

ignorant comment...

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.2.3  bugsy  replied to  devangelical @1.2.2    last year

Just taking your constant lead with those

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    last year

So 51% allegedly support a lifelong thief, grifter, scumbag, facing 4 criminal indictments.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @2    last year

Amazing isn't it! It just indicates how much the masses hate Biden and the Dems.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    last year

It just shows how many fools and morons there are - who would vote for the former 'president'

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    last year

Amazing anyone would support a traitor that incited a failed coup/insurrection to be 'president' again, isn't it?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @2    last year

So 51% allegedly support a lifelong thief, grifter, scumbag, facing 4 criminal indictments.

Don't forget rapist.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    last year
Don't forget rapist.

Please list any and all criminal trials resulting in a  conviction for rape for Trump.

Shall we wait?

George
Junior Expert
2.2.2  George  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    last year

Wasn’t Biden also accused of rape? I guess the hypocrisy never ends.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  George @2.2.2    last year

The thing is, people think they can come here and make the most outrageous claims without a shred of proof and everyone is going to buy the bullshit.

OIP.LvoUhcG8-9NycFesuBwCIgHaHS?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    last year

You must be thinking of Bubba Bill Clinton.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  George @2.2.2    last year

That was a false accusation, like every false accusation against President Biden.  Ya got nothing but projection, all you ever will have had and all that you ever will have.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.6  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    last year
Shall we wait?

Now, we all know the only thing we will get is silence or some sort of spin.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.4    last year
You must be thinking of Bubba Bill Clinton.

Has a judge officially found Bill Clinton to have committed sexual assault?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.7    last year

oh. suddenly that is a real thing now?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Sean Treacy    last year

Trump, for his part, has improved in retrospect. When he reluctantly left office in January 2021, 38% approved of his work as president, essentially the same as Biden's rating now. But currently, looking back, 48% say they approve of Trump's performance when he was in office -- matching his peak as president

Biden’s extreme partisanship is the best thing that ever happened to trump’s reputation.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    last year

Improved in retrospect?  Who writes this garbage?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5  Ed-NavDoc    last year

While I detest and will never vote for Trump, I still detest Biden far more than I do Trump.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1  TᵢG  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5    last year

I suspect that you are talking about the policies of these two men, not them personally.

I can see you (given your political leanings) favoring the policies of Trump over those of Biden.

But do you really detest Biden the human being more than you detest Trump the human being?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  TᵢG @5.1    last year

I do not favor the policies of Trump over Biden, and yes I detest them both as human beings for different reasons with Biden being detested more. Best answer I can give.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5.1.1    last year

Just amazing that one can find more personal detestable flaws in Biden than in Trump.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.2    last year

Not amazing at all, but better to just let it go at that. You have a good afternoon.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.2    last year

"Just amazing that one can find more personal detestable flaws in Biden than in Trump."

You're in denial and/or not looking hard enough.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.4    last year

What can be more detestable that a malignant narcissist, pathological liar and the only individual in our history who, as sitting PotUS, attempted to steal a US presidential election through coercion, fraud, lying, abuse of influence, and inciting followers to act?  

Biden does not even come close to the level of Trump's abysmal character and traitorous acts against this nation.

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1.6  bugsy  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.4    last year
[deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1.7  bugsy  replied to  bugsy @5.1.6    last year

[deleted, the reach around response to Greg was obvious.]

[We also provide a place called Metafied for personal vendettas and arguments, this is not the place.]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5    last year
I still detest Biden far more than I do Trump.

Yep!

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.3  bugsy  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5    last year
I still detest Biden far more than I do Trump.

According to some recent polls, most Americans also feel the same way.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    last year

Like traitors do ya ? 

The Jan 6th committee proved that Trump tried to overthrow a US presidential election, incited a riot, and sat in his dining room eating snacks and watching tv while US Capitol was under attack. 

If those facts cant get Republicans off of Trump, completely, than nothing on this earth will. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @6    last year

How bad has Biden been that he's now losing by 11 to him?

all Biden had to be was normal. A  bill Clinton type who at least paid lip service to moderation is probably up 20.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1    last year

People who do not demand that the Republican Party remove Trump from consideration for their nomination are giving aid and comfort to a traitor. 

I dont care what polls say about Biden in that context. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.1    last year
People who do not demand that the Republican Party remove Trump from consideration for their nomination are giving aid and comfort to a traitor. 

People who do not demand?  I don't think the Party rules allow for that.  There are several state lawsuits underway to prevent Trump from being on the state ballot, but I don't think that the judge will weigh my demands.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1    last year
all Biden had to be was normal.

I don't know if Biden's handlers can be classified as 'normal'.

"Normal" Presidents don't preside over the highest inflation in decades.

"Normal" Presidents don't have a crisis on the border every day for years.

People don't wonder if "Normal" Presidents have taken bribes and payoffs from foreigners.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.4  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.3    last year

All true.

But if Biden had focused on those things, admitted reality, and said here's a plan to stop it, he'd be in much better shape.   Instead of dismissing inflation as temporary and spending years downplaying the very real effects it has on the lives of every day people he'd appear in touch with reality. Same with the border.  He ignores it and then attacks people for noticing. His Press Sec has turned into Baghdad Bob and just lies on those days she even deigns to answer questions about it.  

Someone like Clinton would have "triangulated" on immigration against the extreme left wing, admitted its a problem and offered some movement to stop it.  Biden just parrots what the extreme left wants.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.1.5  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.1    last year
People who do not demand

So you are all in with fascism. Maybe you can let one of our members that use that word incessantly know so that he can move his ire towards you leftists.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @6    last year

There was never a plot or plan to overthrow the election. The J6 committee was a sham and proved nothing.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @6.2    last year

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.1    last year

I guess the moderators dont appreciate the truth. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.2    last year

To some people, truth is very subjective.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
6.3  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @6    last year
The Jan 6th committee

Was never neither umbiased nor fair. It was more of a kangaroo court than an actual fact finding body.it also has no standing in law. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.3.1  TᵢG  replied to  arkpdx @6.3    last year

Do you think the high-ranking Republican operatives who testified under oath and compromised their political careers were lying?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7  Drinker of the Wry    last year

"President Biden’s disapproval rating hit the highest mark of his presidency in a new poll also showing support by essential voting blocs is slipping."

"Biden’s disapproval rating ticked up to 56 percent with 41 percent saying they approve. The survey also shows support for Biden slipping with voters ages 18 to 24, who reported a 46 percent approval rating, Latinos who reported 43 percent and independents – who will be key to deciding the general election – at 36 percent."

"But Trump’s lead in the GOP primary has also surged ahead of a crowded field of opponents, in which he is leading by 43 points despite a myriad of legal troubles in the form of four state and federal criminal indictments."

I'm dumbfounded that Biden and Trump are the best our political class can offer.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7    last year
I'm dumbfounded that Biden and Trump are the best our political class can offer.

I don't believe they are.  

The Democrats don't seem to have any viable candidates under the age of 70 - which means they don't have any viable candidates.  

The Republican base has rejected status quo, promise everything, deliver nothing candidates and chose the political outsider, who delivers incoherent messages and possibly chaos.

Did not vote is probably going to win the 2024 election by a landslide.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1    last year
The Democrats don't seem to have any viable candidates under the age of 70 - which means they don't have any viable candidates.  

I would suggest Governor Tim Walz.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.1    last year

Suggest somebody else. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.3  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.1    last year
I would suggest Governor Tim Walz.

The Democrats are not promoting anyone except Biden.  Why?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.3    last year

Why?

Because they don't have anyone else, really.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.2    last year

Why?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.6  TᵢG  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.3    last year
The Democrats are not promoting anyone except Biden.  Why?

Good question.   I wish I knew what it takes to get the D party to encourage Biden to step aside and enable younger and arguably better candidates.   Of course the GOP has illustrated in a grand fashion how irrational, irresponsible and unpatriotic a political party can be.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.7  mocowgirl  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.4    last year
Because they don't have anyone else, really.

At one time, I thought they might go with Gov. Newsome.  

I still doubt that Biden will be their nominee by this time next year.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.8  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.5    last year

Because he has no chance. 

Gavin Newsome ? Maybe. Gretchen Whitmer? Maybe. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.9  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.6    last year
Of course the GOP has illustrated in a grand fashion how irrational, irresponsible and unpatriotic a political party can be.

When I support a political party, I don't do it because it is a half percentage point better than its opposition.  

That is why Did Not Vote is an election winner.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.10  JohnRussell  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.9    last year

To who?  I call that apathy, which the country cannot afford in 2024. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.11  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.8    last year
Because he has no chance. 

Why does he have no chance?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.12  TᵢG  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.9    last year

Neither do I.  

However we are talking about a specific election with specific circumstances.

If Trump has a reasonable chance of being elected PotUS, I will vote for Biden as the strongest possible act I can take to counter Trump.

I do not support Biden, but I will vote for him given the circumstances I stated.

Now, voting for Biden does not mean that I am voting for the D party.   I will continue to vote for who I believe is best regardless of party, except in cases where I see a need to achieve opposition powers as a check on our inherently irresponsible Congress.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.13  mocowgirl  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.10    last year
To who?

All of the millions of people who don't want to waste their time and money supporting a grifter politician lining his own pockets at their expense.  

I call that apathy, which the country cannot afford in 2024.

I support your right to call it anything you want. 

I support your right to hold and voice your opinion.

My opinion is that no one in the world deserves to deal with the fallout of what either man brings to the presidency of the US.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.14  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.12    last year
I do not support Biden, but I will vote for him

A vote for a candidate is showing support for the the candidate, the party and the party/candidate's platform.

If I bother to vote, I will vote third party as a protest.

At this point, Did Not Vote has my total support because there is nothing about the current field of candidates that I support.

It is up to the candidates to convince me that they represent me and my interests.  

I am not going to vote because I "fear" the other nominee for POTUS.  We have a system where hundreds of other career representatives have the power to fund or defund any laws/proposals and wars.  

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1.15  JBB  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.14    last year

You may be cavalier with your vote as Missouri is not a swing state. Trump will easily win it...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.16  TᵢG  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.14    last year
A vote for a candidate is showing support for the the candidate, the party and the party/candidate's platform.

I do not care that some will see this as support for the Ds or for Biden.   I cannot control biased interpretations of others.  

I stated that I do NOT support Biden.   That is a fact.   I also stated that I will cast a vote for Biden as the most direct use of my vote against Trump (if Trump has a reasonable chance to win).

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.17  JohnRussell  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.13    last year

When Trump gets elected and the country descends into hell we will look toward people like you. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.18  JohnRussell  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.14    last year
If I bother to vote, I will vote third party as a protest.

There is no such things a "protest" vote. It is a figment of peoples imaginations. When has a "protest vote" for president ever changed a damn thing in this country, other than getting Bush II elected in 2000, and possibly getting Trump elected in 2016?

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.19  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.12    last year
I do not support Biden, but I will vote for him given the circumstances I stated.

But you chastise those who say they will vote for Trump over bIden simply to keep Biden out of office

Hypocrite much?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.20  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.16    last year
I do not care that some will see this as support for the Ds or for Biden.

I need to be clearer.  It does not matter what I or any other fellow citizen consider your vote.

Biden and the Ds will regard it as support and a mandate to carry out their policies - the same as every other political candidate of any political party that receives enough votes to be elected to office.

My choice is not to even allow a party or candidate to use my vote as a reason to say they have the support of the majority for their platform.

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.21  bugsy  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.14    last year
I am not going to vote because I "fear" the other nominee for POTUS.

Outstanding response.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.22  mocowgirl  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.17    last year
When Trump gets elected and the country descends into hell we will look toward people like you.

I already went through this personal crap in 2015, 2016 and ever since with disgruntled political losers who evidently have not had a peaceful moment since 2016 and their world collapsed while everyone else's lives continued.

If Trump gains office in 2024 and the country descends into Hell, it will be the fault of people like you who support political candidates who are more unpalatable than Trump. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.23  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @7.1.19    last year
But you chastise those who say they will vote for Trump over bIden simply to keep Biden out of office

I criticize the logic of voting for Trump because Trump is the only individual in our history who, as sitting PotUS, attempted to steal a US presidential election through coercion, fraud, lying, abuse of influence, and inciting followers to act.   Trump is a traitor.   Trump has demonstrated that he cares only about himself and is willing to throw the nation itself under the bus simply because his ego cannot handle losing an election.

Nobody should ever consider Trump for office and there is no comparison in character between Trump and Biden — Trump is an order of magnitude worse.

In short, anyone thinking rationally, responsibly, and patriotically should be working to keep Trump from securing the GOP nomination and keep Trump from winning the presidency.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.24  mocowgirl  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.18    last year
When has a "protest vote" for president ever changed a damn thing in this country, other than getting Bush II elected in 2000,

I voted Gore.  The Supreme Court and hanging chads in Jeb Bush's state elected Bush II the best I recall.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.25  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.18    last year

A protest vote is a vote of conscience.   It is rarely executed with the idea that it will make a difference in the election.   That is, protest voters are voting to send a message.

Back to my earlier comment in another article, my position is that both the Ds and Rs have thus far failed to put forth a good candidate for the presidency.   I do not support either of these old men.    And if we are stuck with Biden v Trump again, I will not support either candidate.   Trump will never get my vote.   Biden will only get my vote if Trump has a reasonable chance to win.   If not, then I will use my vote to send a message knowing full well that it will not impact the current election.

And again, the phrase 'reasonable chance' means (to me) that if I did not vote for Biden that Trump could actually win.   I will never knowingly vote 3rd party (or abstain) if I am at risk of seeing a president Trump in result.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.26  TᵢG  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.20    last year
Biden and the Ds will regard it as support and a mandate to carry out their policies - the same as every other political candidate of any political party that receives enough votes to be elected to office.

That is irrelevant to me.   It is far more important to stop Trump than to falsely encourage the Ds.

Also, remember what I wrote @7.1.12:

TiG@7.1.12 ☞ Now, voting for Biden does not mean that I am voting for the D party.   I will continue to vote for who I believe is best regardless of party, except in cases where I see a need to achieve opposition powers as a check on our inherently irresponsible Congress.

Thus I might vote for every R and vote for Biden as PotUS.   I have no control over how various people will interpret my vote.   Is this support for the D party, the R party, ...?   No way to control that.

We should vote for results best we can and forget about trying to imagine how one's vote will be interpreted by various parties.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.27  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.25    last year
A protest vote is a vote of conscience.   It is rarely executed with the idea that it will make a difference in the election.   That is, protest voters are voting to send a message.

Exactly.

When a candidate has to stoop so low as to use guilt/shame/fear as tactics for a reason to vote for them, it shows their policies/platform are not popular enough to gain majority support.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.28  Texan1211  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.7    last year
At one time, I thought they might go with Gov. Newsome. 

Naw, he is content being a toadie for Biden until 2028.

Besides, he isn't real popular outside of Cali, and we can all see what a mess that state is in.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.29  TᵢG  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.27    last year

Yes, but in the case of Trump, we have a demagogue.   Trump targets what his constituents want to hear.   He has no limitations here because he will lie and contradict himself without concern.   So for low-information / gullible voters, Trump will deliver the soundbites they want to hear and they will hold on to the one or two items they care about with an iron-grip while ignoring (confirmation bias) all other factors.

Trump certainly uses fear as a tactic.   He claims that without him we will enter WWIII (actually he said WWII), the economy will go into a death spiral, etc.   But I think his appeal is his demagoguery much more than his occasional fear tactics.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.30  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.25    last year
That is, protest voters are voting to send a message.

Meaningless. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.31  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.26    last year
We should vote for results best we can and forget about trying to imagine how one's vote will be interpreted by various parties.

Independents/individuals/singles don't think in terms of "we".

As the number of independents rise, it will be interesting to see how both major parties respond or if they carry on as usual proclaiming that their party is the only logical/moral/ethical/reasonable choice.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.32  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.29    last year
Yes, but in the case of Trump, we have a demagogue.

And in Biden we have what exactly?  A world class leader?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.33  TᵢG  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.31    last year
Independents/individuals/singles don't think in terms of "we".

Give me a break.   Substitute "one" instead of "we" since I was stating my position (i.e. IMO) on how voters should reason.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.34  TᵢG  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.32    last year

How do you get that from what I wrote?   I have been quite clear that Biden is a poor choice.  

Biden, however, is not a demagogue at Trump's level.   He is an old politician who has a history of stretching the truth and sometimes flat out lying.  

Biden, like almost all politicians, technically has elements of demagoguery in that he will pander.   But Trump is clearly on the high end of the scale and deserves the label demagogue as a critical characteristic of his political persona.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.35  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.30    last year
Meaningless

Not to me.   Your disagreement is acknowledged.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.36  Texan1211  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.32    last year
A world class leader?

No.

Just no.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.37  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.33    last year
Give me a break.   Substitute "one" instead of "we" since I was stating my position (i.e. IMO) on how voters should reason

Because I respect that you might understand my answer, I will bother to explain why I object to the "we".

"We" is a tactic used by narcissists to muddle conversations (fights) and to try to confuse their victim into thinking they have consented to things they have not and never will.

After decades of personally re-stating there is not and never was a "we" involved in various scenarios, I automatically correct every "we" anyone uses with me.

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.38  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.23    last year
I criticize the logic of voting for Trump because Trump is the only individual in our history who, as sitting PotUS, attempted to steal a US presidential election through coercion, fraud, lying, abuse of influence, and inciting followers to act.   Trump is a traitor.   Trump has demonstrated that he cares only about himself and is willing to throw the nation itself under the bus simply because his ego cannot handle losing an election.

Nobody should ever consider Trump for office and there is no comparison in character between Trump and Biden — Trump is an order of magnitude worse.

In short, anyone thinking rationally, responsibly, and patriotically should be working to keep Trump from securing the GOP nomination and keep Trump from winning the presidency.

All your opinion.

And no questions about wrongdoing, giving money to people, or any other questions you incessantly ask people, no matter their response.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.39  Tessylo  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.3    last year

The republicans aren't promoting anyone except the former 'president'.  Why?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.40  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @7.1.38    last year
All your opinion.

When someone opines, the words are by definition their opinion.

A pointless, stupid ‘observation’.

And no questions about wrongdoing, giving money to people, or any other questions you incessantly ask people, no matter their response.

I am not going to write a comprehensive treatise in each comment.   I was pointing out the most obvious reasons why Trump should never be in a position of political power.   The fact that I did not lay out a case in this comment about Biden does not mean he is without criticism from me in other comments.    

The witless, feeble gotcha tactics you pen are pathetic.   Attempt instead to offer at least a hint of thoughtful commentary.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7.1.41  mocowgirl  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.39    last year
The republicans aren't promoting anyone except the former 'president'.  Why?

I admit that I did not watch the GOP debates, but the party itself is fielding several candidates.  I don't believe the top levels of the party support Trump at all.

Now if you mean, the majority of GOP voters are supporting Trump, then that is another matter.

When I say the Democrats are only supporting Biden, I mean at the top levels of the party - the nominating committee.  

I don't believe the Democratic voters are happily support Biden.  If they were, the GOP would not have a chance if Trump is the nominee.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.1.42  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.1    last year

afb092423dAPR-800x0.jpg

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.1.43  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  mocowgirl @7.1.14    last year

"If I bother to vote, I will vote third party as a protest."

I feel the same way. As I have said before, I neither support nor want Trump nor Biden for president. By voting third party I will at least have the satisfaction of knowing to myself, in however small a way, that it was not my vote that got them elected.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.1.44  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.1.43    last year

I’m with you ed. I voted 3rd party in 16 and sat out in 20.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.1.45  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.23    last year
"In short, anyone thinking rationally, responsibly, and patriotically should be working to keep Trump from securing the GOP nomination and keep Trump from winning the presidency."

Considering the damage to America that the Democrats are presently perpetuating, Trump is the only logical candidate

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.46  bugsy  replied to  Greg Jones @7.1.45    last year

Most American are seeing this.

Trump has not been convicted of anything, and his trials will probably not happen before the 2024 election.

With that in mind, at worst, we will have an indicted president...indicted by highly partisan prosecutors with a "get trump at all cost" mentality, and most Americans will see that and vote for him anyway.

Even the young college kids in 2020 that voted for Biden will see the light and realize the mistake they made 4 years previous.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.1.47  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.6    last year

Probably because somebody else would have a stronger character and not allow themselves to be manipulated the way Biden has been by his handlers and the D party in general.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.48  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @7.1.45    last year
Considering the damage to America that the Democrats are presently perpetuating, Trump is the only logical candidate

That makes no logical sense.   If your concern is the Democrats then the logical course of action is to vote for Republican House and Senate.   

It is irrational, irresponsible and unpatriotic to yield the office of the presidency to the only individual in our history who, as sitting PotUS, attempted to steal a US presidential election through coercion, fraud, lying, abuse of influence, and inciting followers to act;  one who has demonstrated in clear terms that he cares only about himself and is willing to throw the nation itself under the bus simply because his ego cannot handle losing an election.

Work to get a decent R nominee instead of defending Trump at every turn.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.49  TᵢG  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.1.47    last year

Maybe, but the Ds in power surely understand that Biden is a weak candidate and could actually lose the presidency to Trump.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.1.50  Jack_TX  replied to  Greg Jones @7.1.45    last year

I can think of a dozen better options.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.1.51  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.49    last year
It is irrational, irresponsible and unpatriotic to yield the office of the presidency to the only individual in our history who, as sitting PotUS, attempted to steal a US presidential election through coercion, fraud, lying, abuse of influence, and inciting followers to act;  one who has demonstrated in clear terms that he cares only about himself and is willing to throw the nation itself under the bus simply because his ego cannot handle losing an election.

Hmmm.....

Maybe, but the Ds in power surely understand that Biden is a weak candidate and could actually lose the presidency to Trump.

Given that Democrats seem perfectly content to nominate this very weak candidate, it doesn't seem that they share your views about Trump. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.52  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @7.1.51    last year
Given that Democrats seem perfectly content to nominate this very weak candidate, it doesn't seem that they share your views about Trump. 

Cognitive dissonance?

They might share my views of Trump but then (erroneously) conclude that there is no way he could possibly win.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.1.53  Snuffy  replied to  Jack_TX @7.1.51    last year

I said a long time ago that this time around Biden was going to have to run on his record which has not been all that good.  The usual suspects of course fell in line to defend Biden.  

The two parties do seem on a course of self-destruction as both are backing the worst candidates they can have.  If Biden and Trump are the two nominees come next years election, I know I will be drinking and might just have to write in Nixon as I don't think he could be any worse (especially seeing how he's dead).

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.54  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @7.1.42    last year

Yes, Greg, imagine all the wrongdoings we could list for Trump yet you put up an appointment mistake who was not properly vetted.

You consider this a big deal given your post, so surely you must find the many wrongdoings of Trump, in comparison, to be staggering and excessive.

Yet if you had to choose between Governor Walz and Trump in the general election, you (per your past comments) would actually vote against a moderate, rational, seasoned stateman of 59 years of age and instead vote for a 77 year only Trump — the only individual in our history who, as sitting PotUS, attempted to steal a US presidential election through coercion, fraud, lying, abuse of influence, and inciting followers to act.   

Trump has demonstrated that he cares only about himself and is willing to throw the nation itself under the bus simply because his ego cannot handle losing an election.   Yet you would bypass a decent human being and genuine statesman to put that piece of shit Trump in the most powerful office on the planet.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
7.1.63  arkpdx  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.40    last year
The fact that I did not lay out a case in this comment about Biden does not mean he is without criticism from me in other comments.    

Oh please do criticize Biden. I for one and I am sure there are others would like to know. You constantly complain about Trump but nothing about Biden. Why not?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.64  TᵢG  replied to  arkpdx @7.1.63    last year

I am pretty much done giving you et. al.  the benefit of the doubt about my criticism of Biden on this site.    When someone is repeatedly informed of their mistake (your mistake is the presumption that I only criticize Trump) and can read for themselves based on my comment history yet they continue anyway, that is an attempt at harassment.   

Cease or I will flag each time you falsely claim that I am not critical of Biden.   BTW, even in this very thread I penned two comments that are critical of Biden: @7.1.34 and @7.1.49.    Pay attention.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.1.65  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.52    last year
They might share my views of Trump but then (erroneously) conclude that there is no way he could possibly win.

Are they really so stupid as to fail to learn the shock and awe lesson from 2016?   The hubris of these people is staggering. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.66  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @7.1.65    last year

I do not know, Jack, but the D party is clearly supporting Biden for a second term.   Seems like a big mistake to me, but I have little respect for the collective strategic or tactical reasoning of contemporary political parties so I am not surprised.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
7.1.67  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.66    last year

Some comments were removed from this thread for trolling and personal comments. Knock it off. Only warning.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  JohnRussell    last year

www.mediaite.com   /news/cassidy-hutchinson-claims-trump-stopped-wearing-a-mask-because-it-smudged-his-bronzer-makeup/

Cassidy Hutchinson Claims Trump Stopped Wearing A Mask Because It Smudged His Bronzer Makeup

Phillip NietoSep 23rd, 2023, 4:33 pm 2-3 minutes   9/23/2023

AP23178277875837-scaled.jpghttps://am13.mediaite.com/med/cnt/uploads/2023/08/AP23178277875837-300x200.jpg 300w, 1200w, 150w, 768w, 1536w, 2048w" sizes="(max-width: 2560px) 100vw, 2560px" >

Cassidy Hutchinson , former aide to   Donald Trump , claims the GOP leader refused to wear a mask during the pandemic because it smudged his bronzer makeup.

Trump’s dislike of masks originated in May 2020 during a   Honeywell mask factory   visit, to Hutchinson. The former Trump staffer details the story of the former president asking for mask opinions that day in her new memoir “Enough.”

“I slowly shook my head,” Hutchinson tells readers. “The president pulled the mask off and asked why I thought he should not wear it.”

Trump then looked down at the straps of his white mask and noticed “they were covered in bronzer.” The former president fumed after seeing his mask was ruined by his makeup, Hutchinson says.

“Why did no one else tell me that?” Trump demanded. “I’m not wearing this thing.” During this time, according to the   NY Post , Trump claimed he received the OK not to wear a mask from the “head of Honeywell.”

“The press would criticize him for not wearing a mask, not knowing that the depths of his vanity had caused him to reject masks — and then millions of his fans followed suit,” Hutchinson noted.

Moreover, Trump’s safety precautions during the pandemic involved ignoring positive Covid tests for potential guests and inviting them to the White House.

Hutchinson claims the night before Thanksgiving 2020, Trump wanted to invite lawmakers to the White House, but after some had tested positive for the virus.

Trump reportedly became enraged when she only began inviting those who tested negative. “I said everyone! Bring them all! Bring them all now,” Trump ordered.

After Hutchinson tried pushing back against Trump’s request, she was instructed not to defy “the president’s orders.” Trump’s physician,   Sean Conley , eventually agreed to allow all the lawmakers to the White House if those who tested positive wore a mask.

However, when everyone was gathered in the Oval Office, Trump told the lawmakers to remove their so he could see “their beautiful faces” and that “he was not worried about contracting the virus.”

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @9    last year

It is highly likely that an unknown number of people are dead today because Trump didnt want to wear a mask because it smudged his makeup. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1    last year

But by all means, lets put this piece of shit back in office because Joe Biden is old. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1    last year

Oh, FFS.

Let's just all make shit up now and pretend it is accepted fact!!!!!

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.1    last year
But by all means, lets put this piece of shit back in office because Joe Biden is old. 

How about NOT putting Biden back in because we have seen the results of such folly?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
9.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1    last year

That's a really wild conspiracy theory!  LOL!   jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @9.1.4    last year

What, specifically, is the 'conspiracy' you detect?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @9.1.4    last year
That's a really wild conspiracy theory!  LOL!   

Is it "Let's throw shit at the walls and see if any of it sticks" Day?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
9.1.7  mocowgirl  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1    last year
It is highly likely that an unknown number of people are dead today because Trump didnt want to wear a mask because it smudged his makeup. 

Why?

Shouldn't people take their medical advice from their doctor instead of a politician?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.8  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @9.1.4    last year

Its not a conspiracy theory, its what Cassidy Hutchinson says she personally witnessed Trump say. He didnt want to wear a mask because it was messing up his makeup. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9.1.9  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1    last year

There's very little scientific evidence that mask mandates made any difference. Ask Fauci. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.10  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @9.1.9    last year

Whether its 50,000 people or 5 people who died because Trump said he wasnt going to wear a mask, it is an existing real number. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.8    last year

And that only had an effect on Trump.

Trying to blame Trump for people not wearing masks is crazy.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.1.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  mocowgirl @9.1.7    last year

Shouldn't people take their medical advice from their doctor instead of a politician?

I didn't call my district or state politicians when I had cancer. I also simply thanked well meaning friends when they told me a natural miracle cures.  They pitched them as complementary to my treatment, not in place of it.   I stuck with chemo and surgery.

JBB
Professor Principal
9.1.13  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.1.12    last year

Because anecdotally everything is all about you personally? 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.1.14  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @9.1.13    last year
Because everything is about you personally? Right?

Of course not and as an avid reader of my comments, you know that.  I did want to reinforce mocogirl's comment 9.1.7

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1    last year

True.

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.1.16  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.2    last year
Let's just all make shit up now and pretend it is accepted fact!!!!!

INDICT!!!!!!

bugsy
Professor Participates
9.1.17  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.8    last year
its what Cassidy Hutchinson says

Is this the same Casey Hutchinson that said Trump lunged at the steering wheel of a limo on Jan 6 and was handily beat down by several others that were in the same limo?

Yea...she is legit s/

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.18  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @9.1.17    last year
Is this the same Casey Hutchinson that said Trump lunged at the steering wheel of a limo on Jan 6 and was handily beat down by several others that were in the same limo? Yea...she is legit s/

That is NOT what she testified.   Get your facts right; attempt to provide at least partially objective analysis.

Her testimony was clearly noted by the committee as her recounting what she was told by Ornato while Engel (who was with Trump in the limo) sat in the room.

"The president said something to the effect of, 'I'm the effing president, take me up to the Capitol now,'" she said. 

When told that wouldn't be possible, Trump "reached up towards the front of the vehicle to grab at the steering wheel," she said Ornato told her

Engel then grabbed his arm and said, "Sir, you need to take your hand off the steering wheel. We're going back to the West Wing, we're not going to the Capitol," she said. 

In response, she said, Mr. Trump then used his free hand to lunge towards Engel, noting that when Ornato told her the story , he "motioned towards his clavicles." 

Hutchinson told the committee that Engel did not correct or dispute anything Ornato said

The committee was forthcoming and honest about the second-hand nature of her testimony.   Those commenting on it should at least be honest about that.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.19  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @9.1.18    last year

In their warped minds everyone is lying about Trump. Its pathetic. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
9.1.20  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.8    last year

Hearsay is still hearsay no matter what.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.21  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.19    last year

IMO it is confirmation bias driven by (unearned) party loyalty.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10  TᵢG    last year
Trump has 51% support while Biden has 42% 

While I doubt this is an accurate prediction for the general election, it amazes me that anyone would be pleased with the possibility of handing the presidency to an abysmal character who is the only sitting PotUS who attempted to steal a US election through fraud, abuse of his influence as PotUS, coercion, and inciting his followers.

JBB
Professor Principal
10.1  JBB  replied to  TᵢG @10    last year

Most reputable polls at this point have Trump and Biden about even with about 44-45% each, similar to early in 2016. The undecideds will break overwhelming for Biden as they did in 2016. Trump will not be able to win any of the swing states Biden won in 2020 and so Biden will win reelection by ten million votes, or more. And yes, we all know that you and two out of three Americans are unhappy with that choice. Yet no, there is nothing we can really do about these realities beyond this point. And so, the best course is to support Joe Biden both early and wholeheartedly, or else accept blame for enabling Trump's return. Which is, though highly unlikely, still a very real and horrific possibility...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  JBB @10.1    last year

Joe Scarborough brings up an interesting point in the face of polls like this . He asks how many people in the suburbs of swing states are going to vote for Trump this time if they didnt vote for him in 2020.  Is Trump somehow a more appealing candidate now, three years after he tried to overthrow the government, than he was in 2020, an election that occurred BEFORE he tried to overthrow the government?  That is extremely unlikely. 

GregTx
Professor Guide
10.1.2  GregTx  replied to  JBB @10.1    last year

He only won the election by about 45000 votes in three swing states to start with. And was 10 points higher in polling then. 10 million or more?...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.3  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1.1    last year

the voters in this poll favored Biden 50-46 in 2020, essentially mimicking the actual result.  

JBB
Professor Principal
10.1.4  JBB  replied to  GregTx @10.1.2    last year

All of the swing states Biden won are trending more, not less, Democratic! Trump maxes out at 45%. 45% is Biden's base. And Besides, Trump will likely be a convicted felon very soon. And these are not just any older felonies either. No Sir, we are talking about criminal conspiracies to defraud the American people, to obstruct American justice and to defile the American Constitution!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.3    last year

Do you think people who did not vote for Trump in 2020 will do so this time, after all that has come out about him?  That seems highly unlikely to me. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.6  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1.5    last year
who did not vote for Trump in 2020 will do so this time, after all that has come out about him? 

If things continue as they are and Biden is the nominee, it wouldn't surprise me that much. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.6    last year

I think it is more likely that Trump will do worse in the suburbs of Atlanta and Philadelphia and Detroit than he did last time. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10.1.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1.5    last year
Do you think people who did not vote for Trump in 2020 will do so this time, after all that has come out about him?  That seems highly unlikely to me.

Exactly, all the recent articles about Dem Party worries are part of a Dem misinformation campaign.

JBB
Professor Principal
10.1.9  JBB  replied to  GregTx @10.1.2    last year

No, President Biden won by over seven million votes in 2020 and he whooped Trump overwhelming in the Electoral College. By my best estimates, in the upcoming rematch, Joe Biden will win by over ten million votes and Trump will not win any states Biden won in 2020!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10.1.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1.7    last year

I can't explain it, but the recent ABC/Wa Po poll showed Trumps Presidency approval rating  is 10 points higher than when he left office.  The poll showed on Bidenomics, Biden's approval has steadily dropped to now 30%.

On his migration crises, his numbers have also dropped with only 28% approving.  

Maybe it will come down to voter enthusiasm.  Trump leads by a big margin  of those who say they did not vote in 2020. They account for about 15% of the overall sample of registered voters, and they favor Trump over Biden by 63% to 27%. That level of support is significantly stronger than among those in the poll who say they voted in 2020. Among that group, Trump is at 50%, Biden at 45%

It will be interesting to see how the autoworkers vote.  Many of them were Hillary's deplorables in 2016.

GregTx
Professor Guide
10.1.11  GregTx  replied to  JBB @10.1.9    last year

No, he won the electoral college by 44,000 votes in three swing states and was polling 10-15 points higher in approval rating. If the election were held today he would lose based on polling. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11  Buzz of the Orient    last year

Biden lost me when I saw how much the walk he walked differed from the talk he talked.