╌>

Matt Gaetz moves to oust Kevin McCarthy as speaker, setting up dramatic vote

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  78 comments

By:   ABC News

Matt Gaetz moves to oust Kevin McCarthy as speaker, setting up dramatic vote
Gaetz, a Florida lawmaker, had said on ABC's "This Week" on Sunday that he would bring a so-called motion to vacate against McCarthy, criticizing how McCarthy has handled spending and budget fights since the GOP took control of the House in January and contending that McCarthy broke promises to other conservatives about how he would lead. "Kevin McCarthy, at one point or another, has lied to all of us," he said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Hard-line Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz on Monday night introduced a motion  to remove Kevin McCarthy from the House speakership , setting up a dramatic vote over the future of the chamber's Republican majority.

The motion must be voted on within two legislative days, under House rules.

"Bring it on," McCarthy soon  responded  on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Gaetz, a Florida lawmaker, had said on ABC's "This Week" on Sunday that he would bring a so-called motion to vacate against McCarthy, criticizing  how McCarthy has handled spending and budget fights  since the GOP took control of the House in January and contending that McCarthy broke promises to other conservatives about how he would lead.

"Kevin McCarthy, at one point or another, has lied to all of us," he said.

McCarthy has projected confidence about facing the motion, telling on CBS on Sunday: "I'll survive." He suggested Gaetz was motivated by a "personal" grudge, which Gaetz denies.

"Let's get over with it. Let's start governing," McCarthy said. "If he's upset because he tried to push us into a shutdown and I made sure government didn't shut down, then let's have that talk."

McCarthy will need a majority of votes to beat back the motion, but Republicans hold only a five-seat majority. It's unclear if Gaetz has more than handful of other members who will support him, but at least one Democrat -- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez -- has said she would vote to remove McCarthy.

No speaker has ever been removed in this way, though such motions have been attempted a few times in history.

Moments after he spoke on the House floor earlier on Monday, teasing that he would bring the motion against McCarthy, Gaetz conceded to ABC News that he may not have the votes to kick McCarthy out of his job as he addressed reporters outside the Capitol.

Asked by ABC News Senior Congressional Correspondent Rachel Scott if he would he try again if his efforts fail, Gaetz said, "Yeah."

"Well, like I've said, it took Speaker McCarthy 15 votes to become the speaker. So until I get to 14 or 15, I don't think I'm being any more dilatory than he was," he said.

ABC News' Alexandra Hutzler and Lauren Peller contributed to this report.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

The voters put McCarthy in this predicament. They drank the Kool aide and were struck dumb.

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

Always someone else to blame, eh!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    last year

I doubt that McCarthy will follow the example of the Speaker of the Canadian Parliament.  Actually, someone should bring a motion to "vacate" Matt Gaetz.  Before someone criticizes me for that statement, please realize that I never learned and never will be capable of understanding America's unbelievably complicated system of government.  Maybe the system is the reason for the widening and deepening of the political divide, which apparently is also infecting the American people.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    last year

McCarthy right now is in the same position LBJ was in when he was trying to pass the Voting Rights Act. He will have to depend on the other party rather than his own.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    last year
He will have to depend on the other party rather than his own

So will Gaetz.  He'll need two hundred democrats. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.1.2  afrayedknot  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    last year

“McCarthy right now is in the same position LBJ was in when he was trying to pass the Voting Rights Act.”

Nice try, but a rather specious comparison.

The Voting Rights Act was one of the most important pieces of legislation to be passed in the last sixty years. It took considerable effort and indeed required bipartisan support…to our benefit. 

Gaetz’ agenda is pure partisan spite. McCarthy is weak and being held hostage by a radicalized cabal of populist shills. You gets what you gaetz…to his and only his benefit. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    last year

If McCarthy DID make a secret deal with Biden to continue funding Ukraine I can understand why he blew it, and now he can ponder that doing so was a personal sacrifice..  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    last year

The Republicans need to focus on beating Democrats and winning elections. Only if you're in power can you cut spending and taxes. That means be in control of the House, Senate, and the White House. Gaetz will have to do what McCarthy did and work with the Democrats in order to gather enough votes to vacate the Chair. What a unmitigated dumbass Gaetz is.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4  SteevieGee    last year

Gaetz is an idiot.  He doesn't have nearly enough votes to oust McCarthy and now he'll have no more obligation to the magas.  Nothing will get done of course but nothing was getting done anyway.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  SteevieGee @4    last year

Maybe....but one thing Gaetz has is a point.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    last year

What point?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  SteevieGee @4.1.1    last year

McCarthy made a promise to return to regular order.

GregTx
Professor Guide
4.1.3  GregTx  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.2    last year

So did Biden...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    last year

Some people just want to watch the world burn. Matt Gaetz is one of those people.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6  TᵢG    last year

Just sickening watching these irresponsible bozos in Congress engage in endless partisan / ideological / political infighting instead of doing right for the American people.

Do your fucking jobs!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.1  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @6    last year

95% of their jobs is spending money, which is all spent.  So if this little sideshow keeps them from screwing up the country any worse than they have, I'm fine with it.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @6.1    last year

Gridlock is indeed better than what they normally do.   Point taken, but that does not mean we should condone this behavior.  

This is NOT what they are supposed to be doing.   Thus it is wrong and I condemn it.   Don't you?

GregTx
Professor Guide
6.1.2  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.1    last year
Thus it is wrong and I condemn it. 

With what level of severity?..

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.1    last year
This is NOT what they are supposed to be doing.   Thus it is wrong and I condemn it.   Don't you?

Meh.  In some ways, OK.  But in some ways, no.

I think we've known for years that there is a divide in the Republican Party between traditionalists like John Cornyn or Mitt Romney and those who want more change like these Freedom Caucus people.  That's reached a boiling point I had hoped we could avoid, but the underlying causes have never been addressed, so here we are.

It's pertinent that these people are all elected, and therefore are a reflection of a similar divide among Republican voters and their conflicting ideologies.

Gaetz's job is to represent his constituents, just like AOC's job is to represent hers or Collin Allred's job is to represent his. 

The conflicting visions for the future of the Republican Party have reached the limit, and it is every representative's duty to fight for what they believe their constituents want.  Many of Gaetz's constituents would undoubtedly rather see the government shut down than continue what it's doing... so in that sense, Gaetz attempting to force a government shutdown is "doing his job". 

It's ugly.  It's messy.  It frequently involves unseemly behavior, of which I'm not a fan. 

But that's the cost of trading 1 tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants 1 mile away. (credit to Mather Byles, I believe)

Hallux
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Hallux  replied to  Jack_TX @6.1.3    last year
Mather Byles

Correct. As an U.E.L. he is better known in Canada.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  TᵢG @6    last year
Do your fucking jobs!

The Democrats and Gaetz and his followers  are working hand in hand to create as much chaos as possible. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

This is not looking good...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

216 to 210 right now

McCarthy is no longer Speaker

F7iwAQiX0AAsm6s?format=jpg&name=small

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     last year

McCarthy is out as speaker, we will now have a rerun of ''One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest''.

Get out your popcorn.

evilone
Professor Guide
9.1  evilone  replied to  Kavika @9    last year

The clown car is so crowded.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

Gaetz is now getting a lot of hostile questions from the media.

8 Republicans who voted against McCarthy:

Gaetz
Good
Buck
Mace
Rosendale
Burchett
Biggs
Crane

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @10    last year

They should all be kicked out of the party.  Coordinating with democrats to remove a speaker 95% of the republican members supported can’t be tolerated.   Let Jeffries and his ally gaetz run the house and take responsibility.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1    last year

You may have a point. Whether they coordinated or not, they put the ball squarely in the democrat's court.  

Let Jeffries and his ally gaetz run the house and take responsibility.

Jeffries has more control over who the next speaker is than Gaetz will.

The problem was always the voters. If the GOP got 40 seats, McCarthy would have had smooth sailing.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @10.1.1    last year
Whether they coordinated or not, they put the ball squarely in the democrat's court.

The Democrats gave Gaetz their microphone. He was on their side of the House for the debate.   The picture of Omar licking her licks and giving him the "big eye"  like he was her brother from a couple seats away  is already going viral. 

bccrane
Freshman Silent
10.1.3  bccrane  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1    last year

What is wrong with the democrat's thinking, here they had a chance to weaken McCarthy and at the same time silence the freedom caucus, all they had to do was vote not to vacate and unshackle McCarthy from the freedom caucus.  Instead they voted to vacate in a partisan show, now they may not like what they get now.

GregTx
Professor Guide
10.1.4  GregTx  replied to  bccrane @10.1.3    last year

In my opinion, it's kinda like the fire alarm thing, they want a RWNJ in there as Speaker so they can say, see cra cra Republicans. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  bccrane @10.1.3    last year
ith the democrat's thinking, here they had a chance to weaken McCarthy and at the same time silence the freedom caucus, all they had to do was vote not to vacate and unshackle McCarthy from the freedom caucus.

That's what a Party looking out for the country's best interests would have done. But they maximal chaos because they think it helps them politically. Same reason they spent tens of millions supporting "Ultra Maga" candidates in Republican primaries while simultaneously calling them Nazis, threats to democracy etc...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.5    last year

Your attempt to blame the Democrats for this sounds, I dont know, .... desperate ? 

There were probably some Democrats who wanted to make a deal with McCarthy in exchange for their votes to save him, but in the end they know he cant be trusted.  They could make a deal with him and he could go back on it next week. 

evilone
Professor Guide
10.1.7  evilone  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1.6    last year
There were probably some Democrats who wanted to make a deal with McCarthy

Probably before the meeting this morning where they were told what they were going to do by leadership. They all voted one way and while it may server their political agenda it doesn't serve the business they were elected for.

Hallux
Professor Principal
10.1.8  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.2    last year
He was on their side of the House for the debate.

Um ... spillover is dictated by the numbers each party has. There is no demarcation line.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1.6    last year
but in the end they know he cant be trusted. 

Exactly, they are counting on the next Speaker to be sooo much better.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
10.2  bccrane  replied to  Vic Eldred @10    last year

BTW, the last one in that list is not me.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
11  Snuffy    last year

So McCarthy is out as speaker.  And how long will it take before a new speaker is elected?  And correct me if I'm wrong, but the House cannot do any other business until they elect a new speaker, can they?  What does this do to the budget fight which only has until November 17th before the current CR runs out.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @11    last year
And correct me if I'm wrong, but the House cannot do any other business until they elect a new speaker, can they? 

That is a great point.  And we have 45 days before the government shuts down.

There is only one way out now. It's called bipartisan cooperation.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1    last year
There is only one way out now. It's called bipartisan cooperation.

It is going to be very interesting to see what each party is willing to give up and what they will not ever give up.

I think if they did it just one section at a time it might be easier to get done if for no other reason than limiting the scope to argue over.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1    last year
here is only one way out now. It's called bipartisan cooperation.

The whole point of this was to avoid cooperation and create a shutdown. That's why Democrats teamed with Gaetz.  They  both think a shutdown favors their political interests.  

Hallux
Professor Principal
11.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1    last year
It's called bipartisan cooperation.

You will require edited dictionaries for that.

evilone
Professor Guide
11.1.4  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.1.2    last year

This was a perfect missed opportunity for moderates to take a stand, but the Dems blew it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @11.1.4    last year

No, the Democrats did not blow it

evilone
Professor Guide
11.1.6  evilone  replied to  Tessylo @11.1.5    last year
No, the Democrats did not blow it

The knee pads tell a different story. lol. j/k

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
11.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @11.1.5    last year

They made a little circle with their lips and exhaled.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
11.1.8  bccrane  replied to  Tessylo @11.1.5    last year

Yes they did blow it.  All they had to do was vote to keep McCarthy the speaker and the Freedom Caucus loses their grip on him, that caucus could no longer dictate the agenda of the congress which would be a win for the democrats, but they let partisanship and never voting for a republican get in their way.

evilone
Professor Guide
11.1.9  evilone  replied to  bccrane @11.1.8    last year
All they had to do was vote to keep McCarthy the speaker and the Freedom Caucus loses their grip on him,

Conversely all McCarthy had to do was denounce the Freedom Caucus and announce a return to bi-partisan work on governing, but he didn't do that either so the Dems dumped him. The next Speaker will have to make concessions to either the Dems OR again to the Freedom Caucus. These are political games that I dislike, but it's the nature of the work anyway.

evilone
Professor Guide
11.2  evilone  replied to  Snuffy @11    last year
correct me if I'm wrong, but the House cannot do any other business until they elect a new speaker, can they? 

A temp speaker will be named and have limited power, but I think you are correct. 

What does this do to the budget fight which only has until November 17th before the current CR runs out.

If this takes longer than the rest of the week we have worse problems than the budget fight.

George
Junior Expert
12  George    last year

I'm sure the timing of this is purely coincidental. 

The Republican-controlled House Ethics Committee quietly relaunched its investigation into the Florida congressman in July,  CNN reported .

Now House Republican members are prepared to expel   Gaetz   should the investigation find that Gaetz is guilty of the complaints filed against him,

Published yesterday.....Hmmmm.

Matt Gaetz controversies could lead to expulsion by House GOP members (palmbeachpost.com)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

F7i0MzzXkAAo0gz?format=jpg&name=small

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
14  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

UPDATE:

A s the House of Representatives picks up the pieces from  Kevin McCarthy’s  ouster as Speaker, Congressman  Jim Jordan  (R-OH) has confirmed he will make an attempt to take his place.

JUST IN: Jim Jordan Throws His Hat in the Ring for House Speaker (msn.com)

evilone
Professor Guide
14.1  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @14    last year

I've heard Scalise is also running.

evilone
Professor Guide
14.1.1  evilone  replied to  evilone @14.1    last year

Kevin Kern is also in the mix.

JBB
Professor Principal
14.2  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @14    last year

Moe is out and Curley is not running so it looked like Larry was a shoe-in until Shemp threw his hat into the ring. What a lousy mess!

JBB
Professor Principal
14.2.1  JBB  replied to  JBB @14.2    last year

Oh Look! Another gop stooge threw his hat into the ring...

original

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
14.3  afrayedknot  replied to  Vic Eldred @14    last year

“Jim Jordan  (R-OH) has confirmed he will make an attempt to take his place.”

In wrestling parlance, there’s a shocker. 

JBB
Professor Principal
14.3.1  JBB  replied to  afrayedknot @14.3    last year

Another Stooge...

devangelical
Professor Principal
14.3.2  devangelical  replied to  afrayedknot @14.3    last year

it was pretty funny when gaetz threw jordan and comer under the bus yesterday...

JBB
Professor Principal
14.3.3  JBB  replied to  devangelical @14.3.2    last year

original The gop today ..original

George
Junior Expert
14.3.4  George  replied to  JBB @14.3.3    last year

And the democrat party has remained unchanged.

JBB
Professor Principal
14.3.5  JBB  replied to  George @14.3.4    last year

Have you got any material more recent than 1964? I ask this because all of the stooges under those white sheets and pointy hats are all MAGA republicans in the gop today...

Wherever does the gop keep coming up with more stooges?

original

Texan1211
Professor Principal
14.3.6  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @14.3.5    last year

now you are just guessing, trying to distance yourself from the Democrats racism.

JBB
Professor Principal
14.3.7  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @14.3.6    last year

Yet, you know that the conservative southern Democrats of the Pre-Civil Rights Era are the MAGA wing of the gop today!

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
14.3.8  afrayedknot  replied to  George @14.3.4    last year

So very stale. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
14.3.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @14.3.7    last year
the conservative southern Democrats of the Pre-Civil Rights Era are the MAGA wing of the gop today!

No, most of those Dems are now dead.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
14.3.10  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @14.3.7    last year

I know what today's Democrats would like to bamboozle folks with.

Sorry, I just can't swallow the swill but gladly donate the portion intended for me to you!

GregTx
Professor Guide
14.3.11  GregTx  replied to  JBB @14.3.5    last year

original

devangelical
Professor Principal
14.3.12  devangelical  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @14.3.9    last year

cool. all confederate racists belong 6 feet under...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
14.3.13  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @14.3.12    last year

Yeppers, got rid of a whole bunch of racist Democrats!

Good times!

George
Junior Expert
14.3.14  George  replied to  devangelical @14.3.12    last year
all confederate racists belong 6 feet under...

You are advocating for the death of the democrat party......Is there anyone you don't death wish?

George
Junior Expert
14.3.15  George  replied to  afrayedknot @14.3.8    last year

And yet so very accurate, 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
14.3.16  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @14.3.12    last year

Cool, Daddy cool:

devangelical
Professor Principal
14.4  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @14    last year

it only makes sense that the last speaker who was critical of the lead insurrectionist before a pilgrimage to mar-a-lardo the kiss his ring would eventually surrender the house leadership position to another maga republican that was in on the insurrection and had previously sought a pardon for it...

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
14.4.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  devangelical @14.4    last year
lead insurrectionist before a pilgrimage to mar-a-lardo

Still peddling unfounded claims I see.  

George
Junior Expert
15  George    last year

The best part about this article is the constant comments from the left.....Stooges etc. the difference is, one of those stooges will be the Speaker of the house, And the democrats in the house will still be the pathetic losers that we all know they are.

JBB
Professor Principal
15.1  JBB  replied to  George @15    last year

Nope, the best  and the funniest part of the situation is that this is how the gop looks to all of America and the rest of the world today...

original .

evilone
Professor Guide
16  evilone    last year

They aren't even going to vote this week. They are going to adjourn and vote next Wednesday. WTF...