╌>

Harvard students blame 'apartheid regime' for Israel-Gaza war, alumni react | Israel-Palestine conflict News | Al Jazeera

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  40 comments

By:   Al Jazeera

Harvard students blame 'apartheid regime' for Israel-Gaza war, alumni react | Israel-Palestine conflict News | Al Jazeera
Prominent Harvard alumni express outrage after a coalition of student organisations issues a pro-Palestinian letter.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A coalition of 34 Harvard University student organizations has issued a pro-Palestinian statement in reaction to the continuing Israel-Gaza war, prompting outrage from the university's prominent alumni.

The students of the most influential university in United States politics said in the statement published on Monday that they "hold the Israeli regime entirely responsible for all unfolding violence" between the Palestinians and Israelis following decades of occupation, adding that "the apartheid regime is the only one to blame".

Harvard has produced eight former presidents and four of the nine current Supreme Court justices.

The organisations signing the letter included Muslim and Palestinian support groups as well as others named for a variety of backgrounds including the Harvard Jews for Liberation and the African American Resistance Organization.

Prominent Harvard University alumni on Monday denounced the pro-Palestinian statement and urged the university to take action against the signatories.

Harvard President Lawrence Summers, the former US Treasury secretary under Democratic President Bill Clinton and former university president, was one of several Harvard graduates to criticize the current Harvard leadership for failing to respond.

"The silence from Harvard's leadership … has allowed Harvard to appear at best neutral towards acts of terror against the Jewish state of Israel," Summers wrote on the social media platform X. "I am sickened."

Elise Stefanik, a Republican US Representative from New York and a Harvard graduate, called the statement "abhorrent and heinous" for excusing the "slaughter of innocent women and children".

Republican US Senator Ted Cruz, a Harvard Law School graduate, wrote on X: "What the hell is wrong with Harvard?"

Harvard President Claudine Gay and senior leadership including 15 deans issued a statement on Monday that said they were "heartbroken by the death and destruction unleashed by the attack by Hamas that targeted citizens in Israel this weekend".

But the statement avoided direct references to the student letter or the reaction to it.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

It is the same at most universities.  This is what they are teaching.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

Provide proof that this is allegedly being taught at 'most universities'.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    last year

Having dealt with many Ivy League graduates over the years.    I found myself generally  underwhelmed by their level of intellect.

Those who can.   Do.

Those who can’t.  Teach.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @2    last year

There was a time when Harvard was one of the world's great universities.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    last year

The infiltration of radical Marxist types is complete.

That said, we had the same type of thing going on at my smaller, midwest engineering school in the late 70’s.    That kind of programming only works on the feeble minded.    Dimbulbs like that are easily turned into useful idiots.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.1    last year
 That kind of programming only works on the feeble minded.    Dimbulbs like that are easily turned into useful idiots.

I couldn't agree more.

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    last year
There was a time when Harvard was one of the world's great universities.

World rankings list Harvard as anywhere from  #1 to #4. Why should I or anyone believe you?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @2.1.3    last year
Why should I or anyone believe you?

This article should be enough for anyone.

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.4    last year
This article should be enough for anyone.

Only for those who think as you do. I'll take my lead from the 94% of student organizations which did not sign on.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    last year

They still are.  This changes nothing.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hallux @2.1.5    last year

Although the percentages speak volumes on the issue, I'm disgusted that the university is not taking a stand.  I know, I know, First Amendment, but if I were a donating alumnus, Harvard could forget my support from now on.  A university in Toronto (not U of T) lost a big annual donor because of a similar issue a number of years ago. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.2  Hallux  replied to  Sparty On @2    last year
Those who can.   Do. Those who can’t.  Teach

Some 'doers' who taught and there are surely 1000s upon 1000s of others in all fields, the saying by GBS was trite in 1905 and remains so today:

• Albert Einstein
  • Richard Feynman
  • Robert Frost
  • J. R. R. Tolkien
  • Marie Curie
  • Stephen Hawking
  • J. Robert Oppenheimer
  • Noam Chomsky
  • J. K. Rowling

Aristotle had a different take: “Those who know, do. Those that understand, teach.”

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @2.2    last year

Lol …. Aristotle would be crying in his olives ….

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    last year

Maybe Harvard should change their admissions policy to take more smart students like they used to

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1  Sparty On  replied to  charger 383 @3    last year

Lol ….. smart students don’t program as easy.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @3    last year

They used to have a lot more, but government policies changed that.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    last year
they "hold the Israeli regime entirely responsible for all unfolding violence"

Only ignorance can support such a claim. These imbeciles have no idea what they are talking about.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  Sparty On  replied to  Tacos! @4    last year

Some pretty strong koolaide in that group ….

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @4    last year

Yes, ignorance, and devotion to the terrorist cause.

Hallux
Professor Principal
5  Hallux    last year

"A coalition of 34 Harvard University student organizations has issued a pro-Palestinian statement"

Boo to them but before one wanders around with paint rollers those 34 Harvard student orgs are 6% of the total number ... what of the other 533 that did not sign? Fuck 'em with the same roller?

From links within the article but not reproduced by the seeder:

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1  charger 383  replied to  Hallux @5    last year

That 6% is making the rest of the organizations and Harvard look bad 

Hallux
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Hallux  replied to  charger 383 @5.1    last year

That's a choice the seeder has taken and it is getting stale.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1.2  charger 383  replied to  Hallux @5.1.1    last year

I wonder if the other 533 organizations are too scared of the 34 to say anything

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @5.1    last year

That seems to be your answer on most 'articles' like this - such and such 'makes them look bad'.

They're a very, very small percentage of the whole being passed as the majority opinion.

Nonsense.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @5.1.2    last year

Too scared?

Of what?

Hallux
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Hallux  replied to  charger 383 @5.1.2    last year
I wonder if the other 533 organizations are too scared

That's a warren of rabbit holes detor you can go down. I'll pass.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1.6  charger 383  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.4    last year

of not looking "woke" enough 

Hallux
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Hallux  replied to  charger 383 @5.1.6    last year
"woke"

You too? Sigh!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @5.1.6    last year

Sorry charger but that's dumb.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @5.1.7    last year

Yeah, me too hallux.  It's disappointing.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  charger 383 @5.1    last year

Many at Harvard agree with you, several student groups have retracted their previous support for the group letter and;

Following the PSC statement, 17 Harvard student organizations including Harvard Hillel and Harvard Chabad joined around 500 faculty and staff members and more than 3,000 other affiliates, as of Tuesday afternoon, in signing a statement in response calling the PSC’s statement “completely wrong and deeply offensive.”

In another letter published Tuesday afternoon, nearly 160 Harvard faculty members as of Tuesday night from across the University criticized Harvard’s initial response to the war and condemned the PSC statement, writing that it “can be seen as nothing less than condoning the mass murder of civilians based only on their nationality.”

While the faculty letter acknowledged varied perspectives on “Israel’s past actions,” it argued that the tactics of Hamas’ invasion — which they say constitute war crimes — leave no room for nuance.

“The events of this week are not complicated,” the faculty wrote. “Sometimes there is such a thing as evil, and it is incumbent upon educators and leaders to call it out, as they have with school shootings and terrorist attacks.”

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2023/10/11/dual-statements-criticize-psc/#:~:text=Following%20the%20PSC%20statement%2C%2017,completely%20wrong%20and%20deeply%20offensive.”

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.1.11  Snuffy  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.10    last year

So, did they withdraw their signatures due to the reasoning they gave or because it's starting to look like such a signing could impact their future lives?  After all, a law firm recently withdrew their job offer from someone who had worked for them as an intern because they found out she posted anti-Israeli crap.  And some hedge-fund CEO's are saying they will not hire anybody connected with these organizations.  Sucks when your high & mighty posture gets clipped...

And then we have the student hero's who were protesting against Israel but were all wearing masks to hide their identity.  So brave of our younger generation.... 

Students hide identities with masks while praising Hamas’ massacre of Israelis | Fox News

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Snuffy @5.1.11    last year
Sucks when your high & mighty posture gets clipped...

Well as they say, money talks and bull shit walks.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hallux @5.1.1    last year

There are times when a tiny insect bite can kill a person.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    last year

The rabid anti-semitism on college campuses isn't even being concealed and to those of us who've paid attention to the culture that pervades campuses, not surprising.  Although it is funny to see some of these students start walking back their bigotry when they find out if can have real world consequences.  The progressive "rebels"  who glory in fighting for the little man become a lot quieter when they find out cheering on the murder of babies might cost them their job at a big law firm defending the dumping of chemicals on some poor midwestern farm town. Their bigotry isn't as celebrated as it is on a progressive campus in the real world. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    last year

"Glory to the Murderers"

Fine specimens our institutes of higher learning are turning out.....

Hallux
Professor Principal
7.1  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @7    last year

Some 4,000,000 students are enrolled in U.S. universities, the 200 or so students of the University of Wisconsin–Madison in the video link represent .04% of the student population.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hallux @7.1    last year

Right.   I remember you making that point  so often when J6 is used as a cudgel or any other protest that the left wing makes political hay over.   

Hallux
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1.1    last year

Many memories are myths.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8  Sean Treacy    last year

the status of American higher education:

Defend Murdering Jewish Babies?  Cool

suggest students can wear halloween costumes that might might offend the politically correct?   Attack her until she has to stop teaching