╌>

UK university to offer postgraduate degree in witchcraft and the Occult

Category:  World News

Via:  michael-c  •  6 months ago  •  9 comments

By:   Patrick Reilly

UK university to offer postgraduate degree in witchcraft and the Occult
There’s no sorting hat, wands or flying broomsticks, but magical mysteries still await.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A university in the United Kingdom will be offering the country’s first ever postgraduate degree in magic and occult science, according to a report.

The University of Exeter will be offering the Master’s degree beginning in September 2024 amid a recent surge of interest in the history of witchcraft and magic, Emily Selove, an associate professor in medieval Arabic literature who is heading the program,   told the New York Times .

The course will explore magic’s influence on society and science through the lens of Jewish, Christian and Islamic traditions, the Times reported.

While students won’t attend Defense Against the Dark Arts and Potions classes, the program offers unique courses such as a study of dragons in Western culture, literature and art and the depiction of women and witches in the Middle Ages.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Michael C.
Freshman Expert
1  seeder  Michael C.    6 months ago

Actually this looks like a history course which doesn't interest me. The courses I take in this area are "how to" courses.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Michael C. @1    6 months ago

It's a Masters' degree course - what would be the qualifying undergraduate degrees be?  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Jack_TX  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    6 months ago
It's a Masters' degree course - what would be the qualifying undergraduate degrees be?

Something in the history or literature departments, don't you think?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.1    6 months ago

Absolutely.  There is much history to be learned from literature.  Perhaps the fact that I majored in English Literature to earn my B.A. is why I am quite interested in that Masters' course offers. 

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2  evilone  replied to  Michael C. @1    6 months ago
Actually this looks like a history course which doesn't interest me.

I would be hugely interested.

Michael C.
Freshman Expert
2  seeder  Michael C.    6 months ago

Here's a school that interests me a lot more. It teaches the "mystic arts"-- but mainly they are specifically famous for their Mediumship courses. I know two people who've studied there are they they say amazing things about it. (People call it "A Hogwarts for Adults"):

I was planning to go for a week (or two!) but then the pandemic hit and they closed down live events. Some day I will go, not only for the courses but I imagine that I will meet some very interesting people from around the world....

THE ARTHUR FINDLAY COLLEGE

• The Arthur Findlay College
  • Stansted Hall
  • Stansted Mountfitchet
  • Essex CM24 8UD
  • United Kingdom

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Michael C. @2    6 months ago

If I were a lot younger I'd be tempted as well.  Of course dragons are pretty important where I am now.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 months ago

I waiting for Puff to make an appearance.

Hallux
PhD Principal
4  Hallux    6 months ago

I'm midway through a 24 episode series on the history of the occult ranging from the dawn of civilization to today's dusk. Although it is titled as Secrets of the Occult, there are none, and that's a good thing.