╌>

Trump Is Disqualified From the 2024 Ballot, Colorado Supreme Court Rules

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  10 months ago  •  356 comments

By:   Maggie Astor - NYT

Trump Is Disqualified From the 2024 Ballot, Colorado Supreme Court Rules

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Former President Donald J. Trump is ineligible to hold office again, the Colorado Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday, accepting the argument that the 14th Amendment disqualifies him in an explosive decision that could upend the 2024 election.

Ina lengthy rulingordering the Colorado secretary of state to exclude Mr. Trump from the state’s Republican primary ballot, the justices reverseda Denver district judge’s finding last monththat Section 3 of the 14th Amendment — which disqualifies people who have engaged in insurrection against the Constitution after having taken an oath to support it from holding office — did not apply to the presidency.

They affirmed the district judge’s other key conclusions: that Mr. Trump’s actions before and on Jan. 6, 2021, constituted engaging in insurrection, and that courts had the authority to enforce Section 3 against a person whom Congress had not specifically designated.

Mr. Trump is expected to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. Tuesday’s ruling applies only to Colorado, but if the Supreme Court were to affirm it, he could be disqualified more broadly. The Colorado Supreme Court stayed its ruling until Jan. 4, 2024, to allow time for appeals.

The Colorado Supreme Court is the first court to find that the disqualification clause applies to Mr. Trump, an argument his opponents have been making across the country. Similar lawsuits in Minnesota and New Hampshire were dismissed on procedural grounds. A judge in Michigan ruled last month that the issue was political and not for him to decide, and an appeals court affirmed the decision not to disqualify him. The plaintiffs there have appealed to the Michigan Supreme Court.

The cases hinge on several questions: Was it an insurrection when Trump supporters stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, trying to stop the certification of the 2020 election? If so, did Mr. Trump engage in that insurrection through his messages to his supporters beforehand, his speech that morning and his Twitter posts during the attack? Do courts have the authority to enforce Section 3 of the 14th Amendment without congressional action? And does Section 3 apply to the presidency?

Judge Sarah B. Wallace, who madethe district court rulingin Colorado, had said yes to all but the last question.

Because Section 3 enumerates several offices but not the presidency, and because the presidential oath is worded differently from the oaths of the enumerated offices, Judge Wallace concluded that the broad phrase “officers of the United States” was not intended to include the presidency. The Colorado Supreme Court disagreed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    10 months ago

The big squeeze is juiced!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1    10 months ago

looks like trumpsters on the SCOTUS will be strapping on their knee pads soon. pucker up, thumpers...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.1    9 months ago

LOL, told you so....

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @1    10 months ago

Every single lie the former 'president' told that day and months before and after he lost the election, every single lie he told that fraud had been committed and that dead people had voted, every single lie, and that were a lot during his 'speech' (incitement) since he lost and every single lie he told leading to the insurrection, he did indeed incite since he lost and leading up to 1/6, it was planned and plotted and incited and carried out by his white supremacist/neo-nazi/scum 'tourist' supporters.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1.2    9 months ago

that cult has selective hearing...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    10 months ago

No conviction to disqualify him, just party hatred. .  It’s Soviet style “democracy” in action.  The state tells you who you can vote for. congrats on making trump a martyr for dmeocracy.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    10 months ago

“The state tells you who you can vote for…”

No, the court has decided who is not eligible to be on the ballot due to a candidate’s acts. The supremes will hear the case and more than likely overturn the CO ruling.

But yet another feather in the maga cap of infamy. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  afrayedknot @2.1    10 months ago

But yet another feather in the maga cap of infamy

progressives just threw the leading candidate for President off the ballot in a temper tantrum and you think this is a feather in maga cap of infamy?  LOL 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2  devangelical  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    10 months ago
The state tells you who you can vote for

... apparently just as easily as some states that can force women to give birth. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.2    10 months ago
apparently just as easily as some states that can force women to give birth. 

No one in America is being forced to give birth.

Get real!

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    10 months ago

try convincing your dumb ass texas AG paxton of that...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.2.2    10 months ago
try convincing your dumb ass texas AG paxton of that..

Why not try to prove your wild-ass, stupid claim just for a change of pace?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @2.2.2    10 months ago

oops

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.4    10 months ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    10 months ago
congrats on making trump a martyr for democracy.

more like the poster boy for assholery

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3    10 months ago

And permanent resident in TDS ridden fools heads.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.3.2  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3    10 months ago

looks like living up to an oath to defend the constitution is optional for maga...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    10 months ago

Well, it is a well known fact that he has already been tried and convicted in the hard core leftist liberal kangaroo court of public opinion. That is the only court that matters to some these days./s

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.4    10 months ago

Tell us everything you know about the J6 committees findings.  This shouldnt take long. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.4.2  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @2.4.1    10 months ago

there's plenty of examples of the fascist, autocrat, and white supremacist perspectives ...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    10 months ago

Yawn, the SCOTUS will bitch slap the liberal Colorado SC and overturn their “decision”

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @3    10 months ago

there will still be plenty of time for traitorous trumpster scum in my awesome home state colorado to move to a different state, that allows trump on the primary ballot, and establish residency to vote for their demigod. good riddance.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Sparty On @3    10 months ago
Yawn, the SCOTUS will bitch slap the liberal Colorado SC and overturn their “decision”

Not based on Trump's defense.  Trump never claimed that he did not take part in an insurrection, his defense was based on 2 things.

1 - He is not an officer of the United States.

2 - He never swore to uphold the Constitution.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2    10 months ago

Time will tell …..

goose is back
Junior Guide
3.2.2  goose is back  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2    10 months ago
Trump never claimed that he did not take part in an insurrection

Was Trump convicted of insurrection?

Was he ever charged with insurrection?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  goose is back @3.2.2    10 months ago
Was Trump convicted of insurrection? Was he ever charged with insurrection?

You're not keeping up with the news, are you?

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.4  devangelical  replied to  goose is back @3.2.2    10 months ago

sorry, that's not required by section 3 of the 14th amendment to the constitution. good luck getting that amendment repealed and going thru multiple legal processes before november ...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @3.2.4    10 months ago

Dimbulbs on the liberal left are still trying to hang their hats on Jan 6th being an insurrection.    Only fools and useful idiots believe that nonsense.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.5    10 months ago

We have a U.S. Court that not only says Jan 6th was an insurrection but also that Trump incited it. 

Do you know anything about Jan 6th and what led up to it?  because it doesnt sound like you do. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.6    10 months ago

Courts are far from infallible.

goose is back
Junior Guide
3.2.8  goose is back  replied to  devangelical @3.2.4    10 months ago
sorry, that's not required

That's what I thought, It will be great to see a Red State remove Biden form the ballot for providing aid and comfort to our enemies.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.9  devangelical  replied to  goose is back @3.2.8    10 months ago

maybe after the house GOP's high crimes and misdemeanors debacle does a face plant... oh wait, trumpsters believe a POTUS is immune from prosecution for any crimes committed while in office. bummer...

goose is back
Junior Guide
3.2.10  goose is back  replied to  devangelical @3.2.9    10 months ago
immune from prosecution

but, not from impeachment!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.11  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  goose is back @3.2.2    10 months ago
Was he ever charged with insurrection?

Nope................

The former president has not been charged explicitly with “insurrection” or “rebellion” in any of his criminal cases, including the Washington, D.C., election interference case brought by special counsel Jack Smith.   Smith's office charged Trump  with conspiracy to defraud the U.S., conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding, obstruction of and attempt to obstruct an official proceeding, and conspiracy against rights.

So it is hard to see what the court based this on. 

evilone
Professor Guide
3.2.12  evilone  replied to  goose is back @3.2.8    10 months ago
It will be great to see a Red State remove Biden form the ballot...

The Tx Lt Governor has already floated the idea. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.13  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @3.2.4    10 months ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

goose is back
Junior Guide
3.2.14  goose is back  replied to  evilone @3.2.12    10 months ago
The Tx Lt Governor has already floated the idea. 

Fantastic, it has just as much merit as this bullshit ruling. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.15  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.11    10 months ago

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.16  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.15    10 months ago

Do you know something that the rest of the country doesn't? Please share where anyone has charged him with insurrection or rebellion as required.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.17  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.16    10 months ago
Please share where anyone has charged him with insurrection or rebellion as required.

That is not required . Again, you havent read any of the decision. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.2.18  afrayedknot  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.16    10 months ago

“…as required.”

By what court of public opinion and in what purely partisan jurisdiction is a conviction required before a potential violation of the constitution and its ramifications can be adjudicated?

The answer is obvious. You’re arguing two separate things here, and thus rendering the argument moot. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.19  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.16    10 months ago

[deleted]

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.20  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.17    10 months ago
Section 3  of the Civil War-era 14th Amendment says: “No person shall ... hold any office, civil or military, under the United States ... who, having previously taken an oath ... as an officer of the United States ... to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.”

And it hasn't been proven that he has. Otherwise there would be charges somewhere other than in the minds of the Never Trumpers.

You seem to be saying that the SCoCO conducted a trial and found him guilty without being charged. I don't give two shits what they used as their basis. J6 Clown Show or not

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.21  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.20    10 months ago

The courts decision yesterday gives, in great detail, the evidence that Trump incited and gave comfort to insurrection. He does not have to be convicted. The court decided that the events of and surrounding Jan 6th met the definition of insurrection. 

When you display even minimal understanding of the evidence against Trump we can have a discussion. Until then, I'm not wasting my time. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.22  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.21    10 months ago

If that is the case and the "evidence" was so damning, why the 4-3 decision and not a sweep?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.23  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.21    10 months ago

why was roe overturned 5-4 ? 

why was heller decided 5-4 ? 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.24  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.23    10 months ago

Apples and grapes John

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.25  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.24    10 months ago

Nope

evilone
Professor Guide
3.2.26  evilone  replied to  goose is back @3.2.14    10 months ago
it has just as much merit as this bullshit ruling. 

While you think the ruling is bullshit, a state supreme court has a lot more merit than a fox news interview. All you can do is hope the SCOTUS overturns it.

Personally I think we are reaching absurdity levels in politics and I don't see much short of mass riots getting politicians to back the fuck down on their stupid and get back to governing. I read somewhere the last few days this year's House has been the least productive in history...  Our government has been reduced to tit-for-tat bullshit. 

goose is back
Junior Guide
3.2.27  goose is back  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2.3    10 months ago
You're not keeping up with the news, are you?

Please....enlighten me.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.28  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.6    10 months ago

I know something folks [deleted] are not capable of understanding when it comes to Trump.    He’ll never get a fair trial in the swamps of DC, New York etc and you see, the triggered have no problem with that because it feeds their brain rot.

There is no way Trump will get true justice from them or their ilk and that would bother any fair minded American.    [deleted.]    Which speaks to much worse deep rooted issues.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.29  Sparty On  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.20    10 months ago

They’ll have a hard time getting past this quote:

“I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."

A good defense attorney will be smoking them on that comment alone.

Left wing crackpottery only goes so far when it comes to the law.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.30  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.21    10 months ago

More ad hominem attacks.

You just keep looking weaker and weaker John.    I suggest you find a better hook to hang your hat on than a state Supreme Court with judges, all appointed by Democrat Governors.

More weakness coming out ….

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.2.31  Gsquared  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.5    10 months ago

Reactionary propagandists pretend that Jan 6th was a "normal tourist day" at the Capitol.  Only imbeciles believe that B.S.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.32  Sparty On  replied to  Gsquared @3.2.31    10 months ago
Reactionary propagandists pretend that Jan 6th was a "normal tourist day"

Speaking of reactionary propagandists.    Feel free to show me where I even alluded to such a thing.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.2.33  Gsquared  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.32    10 months ago
Speaking of reactionary propagandists.

Yes, your comment was textbook reactionary propaganda.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.34  Sparty On  replied to  Gsquared @3.2.33    10 months ago

No it wasn’t but yours was.   Absolutely.

Here’s your sign:

Attempting to put words in someone elses mouth that are completely false.

Textbook, just like your chosen ones teach ….. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.2.35  Gsquared  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.34    10 months ago

1.  Maybe you are unaware of what reactionary propaganda is.  Re-read your Comment 3.2.5 for a clear example.

2.  Show where in my Comment 3.2.31 that I stated I was quoting you or indicated that was something you said.  Although, it would surprise no one if it is.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.36  Sparty On  replied to  Gsquared @3.2.35    10 months ago
1.  Maybe you are unaware of what reactionary propaganda is.  Re-read your Comment 3.2.5 for a clear example.

Irrelevant.   Your response stretched my comment beyond the breaking point.    In other words.    It was not even close to what I said.

2.  Show where in my Comment 3.2.31 that I stated I was quoting you or indicated that was something you said.  Although, it would surprise no one if it is.

Excellent psychobabble admitting that is not what I said and then …. You doubled down on the inaccuracy of your comment.    And you were so close ….

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.2.37  Gsquared  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.36    10 months ago

1.  Your Comment 3.2.34, where you attempted to put words "in my mouth" that I didn't say is a classic example of projection.

2.  Your Comment 3.2.36 is complete double talk trying to dig yourself out of the rhetorical hole you dug, and takes psychobabble to a whole new level.

Your arguments are total inanities.  Now, move on...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.38  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.28    10 months ago

In other words, you have no knowledge of the findings of the J6 committee. You are just sure that Trump is being railroaded based on your "feelings". 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.39  JohnRussell  replied to  Gsquared @3.2.37    10 months ago

The trumpsters on NT are reaching for new lows.  Not one of them can intelligently comment on the evidence complied by the J6 committee, which was largely based on sworn testimony by Republican officials. This whole discussion is ridiculous. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.2.40  Gsquared  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.39    10 months ago
The trumpsters on NT are reaching for new lows. 

... and achieving them.

Not one of them can intelligently comment on the evidence complied by the J6 committee, which was largely based on sworn testimony by Republican officials.

It's very telling.

This whole discussion is ridiculous. 

It is absurd.  They're divorced from reality.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.41  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.38    10 months ago

No, in other words I’m not a triggered fool with TDS brain rot.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.42  Sparty On  replied to  Gsquared @3.2.40    10 months ago

lol …. You go boys, you go …..

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.43  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.32    10 months ago

[Deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.44  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.43    10 months ago

[Deleted]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.2.45  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.6    10 months ago

As I have told you before, please get back to us when he has been tried and convicted in a genuine court of law with a judge and jury. When that happens and he is found guilty I will happily agree with you. Until then all there are is allegations and innuendo. If there was rock solid evidence of his committing or promoting insurrection he probably would have been properly tried by now.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.2.46  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.24    10 months ago

Yep, and sour ones at that.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.47  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.38    10 months ago

It's that hive minded drone nonsense that he is always projecting that the Democrats/Progressives/Liberals are guilty of.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.48  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.34    10 months ago

[removed]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    10 months ago

Ooooooh, the humanity...

hindenburg.jpg

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    10 months ago

Slowly they turned. Step by step. Inch by inch. Then POW! Right in the old disqualification clause. One state down, forty nine more to go...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1  cjcold  replied to  JBB @5    10 months ago

And the first domino falls.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @5    10 months ago

No, AZ, MI and MN courts have already looked at this and came to a very different conclusion than Colorado’s 4-3 decision.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.2    10 months ago

The CO decision is the ice breaker.   Now, if the SCotUS weighs in (and I think it absolutely must), we will have some (or full) clarity on this issue.   If the SCotUS allows Colorado to proceed as it is has determined, then I agree with JBB.   If not, then this all comes to an abrupt halt.   In which case, the dysfunctional, morally-impaired current GoP will very likely nominate Trump.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
6  MrFrost    10 months ago

States Rights.

Gotta love it. 

I recall the right wing saying that states should be in charge of federal elections... Well, that's the way it goes! LMAO! !

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.1  Greg Jones  replied to  MrFrost @6    10 months ago

I suspect Trump is going to have the last laugh.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @6.1    10 months ago

... when his checks start bouncing?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @6.1.1    10 months ago
start

Continue?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @6.1.1    10 months ago

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Greg Jones @6.1    10 months ago

Only time will tell either way.

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
7  TOM PA    10 months ago

Now, let's see how many write-in votes he get's in the general election!  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1  Tacos!  replied to  TOM PA @7    10 months ago

That would require his supporters to be able to spell and write legibly.

Even then, the state may disqualify him.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Tacos! @7.1    10 months ago

This is the only way Democrats can win elections.

What a great statement this makes for Democracies everywhere. 

China and Russia are loving this.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
7.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @7.1.1    10 months ago

China and Russia are loving this.

If trump was to be re-elected, Xi and Putin would be pulling all of trumps strings. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.3  devangelical  replied to  MrFrost @7.1.2    10 months ago

trump is the universal cock holster for dictators world wide...

Gsquared
Professor Principal
8  Gsquared    10 months ago

Nice.  Trump must be choking on it right about now.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9  Tacos!    10 months ago

Colorado voted Democrat in 2016 and 2020, so this may have little practical impact for that state in 2024. I wonder, though, if there are any states that voted for Trump in 2016 or 2020, which would follow Colorado’s lead.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
9.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tacos! @9    10 months ago

Arizona, Minnesota, and Michigan have tried it, and failed. This latest attempt is likely to fail also.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Greg Jones @9.1    10 months ago

The fact that so many find him an evil human being should give you pause. He is a despicable person.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
9.1.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  cjcold @9.1.1    10 months ago
The fact that so many find him an evil human being should give you pause.

So you don't vote for someone based on what other people think of him?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Right Down the Center @9.1.2    10 months ago

Yes, that is what the chosen one has instructed her useful idiots do after he had the temerity to beat her in 2016.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.1.4  cjcold  replied to  Right Down the Center @9.1.2    10 months ago

I personally hate Trump because he is a stupid, evil fascist who is trying to divide this country.

I also hate the idiots who support him.

Haven't hated fascists this much since Nam.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @9.1.4    10 months ago

Well, at least you got a good 45-50 year break in fascist hatred. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.1.6  cjcold  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.1.5    10 months ago

What makes you think I took a break?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @9.1.6    10 months ago

Which fascists have you hated between Nam until now?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  cjcold @9.1.4    10 months ago

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2  Sparty On  replied to  Tacos! @9    10 months ago

As of 2021 all the judges sitting on the Colorado Supreme Court have been appointed by Democrat governors.    You lie down with dogs you get up with fleas ….

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Sparty On @9.2    10 months ago

[jrEmbed module="jrYouTube" youtube_id="WoqCyGIguLc"]

Snuffy
Professor Participates
9.3  Snuffy  replied to  Tacos! @9    10 months ago

Umm,  yes and no I think. This was for the Republican primary, not the general from what I read. Don't know if this continues on in the general but figure it would be resolved one way or the other by then.  I suspect SCOTUS will overturn and he will be on the ballot for the primary. I'm more concerned about the fallout from this. First there would be little to prevent a Republican state & court to remove a Democrat from office. Secondly, this IMO makes Trump more of a martyr to his followers. They can look at this action and the action of the DNC in Florida to not even have a Democrat primary and see that the "elites" are picking and choosing what should be the people's choice. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.3.1  cjcold  replied to  Snuffy @9.3    10 months ago
"elites"

Yes, we "elites" tend to have IQs over 150.

Far right-wing fascists have IQs around 80.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.3.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @9.3.1    10 months ago

Source?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.3.3  cjcold  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.3.2    10 months ago
Source?

An intelligent person would look it up for himself.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.3.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @9.3.3    10 months ago

[deleted]

Gsquared
Professor Principal
9.3.5  Gsquared  replied to  cjcold @9.3.1    10 months ago
Far right-wing fascists have IQs around 80.

That's being generous.

JBB
Professor Principal
9.3.6  JBB  replied to  Gsquared @9.3.5    10 months ago

original

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.3.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @9.3.6    10 months ago

[deleted]

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.3.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Gsquared @9.3.5    10 months ago

Source?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.3.9  Sparty On  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.3.4    10 months ago

People that feel the need to brag about their intelligence, usual aren’t.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.3.10  Tessylo  replied to  Gsquared @9.3.5    10 months ago

More like in the single digits

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
10  Just Jim NC TttH    10 months ago

And once again, as in 2016, you dumb fucks, no STUPID fucks embolden him by persecution. He hasn't been tried, let alone convicted, of anything. This is going to blow up in your respective faces...............and it will be glorious to watch.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
10.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @10    10 months ago

So, what you are saying is there is no proof, not trial, no convictions.  They just removed him because......hurt feelings?  Sounds like a continuation of what we've heard since the Democrats tried to steal the election in 2016.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @10.1    10 months ago
They just removed him because......hurt feelings?  Sounds like a continuation of what we've heard since the Democrats tried to steal the election in 2016.

Is there any way to get you to stop saying silly things? 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
10.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1.1    10 months ago
Is there any way to get you to stop saying silly things? 

I'm not the one saying he's guilty when there has yet to be any charges, trials or verdict.  Those like yourself.....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1.1    10 months ago

Is there any way to get you to stop with the ad hominem attacks when people simply hold a different opinion than you do?

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @10.1.2    10 months ago

where does it say anything about a conviction in section 3 of the 14th amendment?

there does seem to be a lot of hurt feelings, on the right...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @10.1.4    10 months ago

[deleted]

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
10.1.6  afrayedknot  replied to  devangelical @10.1.4    10 months ago

”…there does seem to be a lot of hurt feelings, on the right...”

…the chickenshits have come home to roost…

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @10.1.4    10 months ago

[deleted]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
10.1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @10.1.2    10 months ago

Bingo!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
10.1.9  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1.1    10 months ago

Far right wingers say silly things because they have low IQs. There is no cure. 

Fox gave them a voice they didn't deserve.

Far right-wing idiots should realize their mental limitations.  

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10.1.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @10.1.9    10 months ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  cjcold @10.1.9    10 months ago

They're too stupid to know how stupid they are.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10.1.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @10.1.11    10 months ago

I couldn't agree with you more.  Stupid is as stupid does.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @10    10 months ago

Have you or any of the Trump apologists on this site read the Colorado Supreme Court decision? 

Here it is 96292b55-full.pdf (nyt.com)

Beginning on page 100 of the opinion, and continuing on for many pages, the decision lays out why Trump is implicated in an insurrection, with specificity.  You all laughed at the Jan 6th committee, but none of you can dispute its findings on the basis of fact. The Colorado Supreme Court just reaffirmed the findings of the Jan 6th committee, in that the court used them to reach and justify its findings. 

We now have a high court in one of the United States deciding , legally, that Trump incited an insurrection against the U.S. Constitution. 

In and of itself, this should give great pause to people who think it is "ok" to support Trump in 2024. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
10.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @10.2    10 months ago

Won't stand up John and I think deep down, you know it. Other states tried. Colorado is a liberal bastion of feeeeelings. Way to bolster his chances....................

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
10.2.2  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @10.2    10 months ago

Trump hasn't been convicted of insurrection.

Leftist BS is leftist BS. Just another batch of leftist judges legislating from the bench to get the results they want.

China and Russia are proud of the Democrats.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
10.2.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @10.2    10 months ago
the decision lays out why Trump is implicated in an insurrection

So no charges, not trial and no conviction.  Their OPINION is based solely on hurt feelings and no proof.  Just like everything that we have seen since the 2016 election when Democrats tried to steal the election.

You all laughed at the Jan 6th committee,

And we still are laughing at the J6 Shit show and those gullible enough to believe anything they've cried about.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @10.2.3    10 months ago

You have zero credibility on this site. Now you are saying that the Colorado Supreme Court ruled against Trump on the basis of "hurt feelings". 

Please do us all a favor and dont vote. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.2.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @10.2.1    10 months ago

You guys repeatedly demonstrate that you nothing about the facts surrounding Jan 6th. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
10.2.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @10.2.5    10 months ago

I'm not the one spouting off fiction and trying to pass it off as fact.  Not my issue if you don't like it.  

George
Junior Expert
10.2.7  George  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @10.2.1    10 months ago
Way to bolster his chances....................

Exactly, Nikki Haley put it perfectly, the left are exhausting, they no longer have an original thought or idea, they just wander around mindlessly muttering trump. It's all they can talk about, when someone controls your thoughts they own you, and trump proves he owns the left daily.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.2.8  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @10.2.4    10 months ago

[deleted]

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
10.2.9  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @10.2.5    10 months ago

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.2.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @10.2.5    10 months ago

oh, they know they just don't want to admit it

"It was just tourists!"

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
10.2.12  Right Down the Center  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.2.11    10 months ago

Actually it was "mostly peaceful".

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.2.13  devangelical  replied to  Right Down the Center @10.2.12    10 months ago

[deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.2.14  Sparty On  replied to  George @10.2.7    10 months ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.2.15  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @10.2.1    10 months ago

Of course it will stand up.

LOLOLOLOL

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.2.16  Sparty On  replied to  Sparty On @10.2.14    10 months ago

[Deleted]

cjcold
Professor Quiet
10.2.17  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @10.2.5    10 months ago

We all saw the videos from that day. 

Trump's people were insane.

Trump told them to do it.

Trump should be in prison.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
10.2.18  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @10.2.17    10 months ago

[Removed]

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10.2.19  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @10.2.18    10 months ago

[removed]

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10.2.20  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @10.2.17    10 months ago
Trump's people were insane.

I don’t think an insanity defense will work for most.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
10.2.21  MrFrost  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @10.2.3    10 months ago
So no charges, not trial and no conviction.

Where in the constitution does it say there has to be? 

bugsy
Professor Participates
10.2.22  bugsy  replied to  MrFrost @10.2.21    10 months ago

It doesn't, but it does say the individual has to engage in an insurrection. Being that insurrection is a crime, and Trump has not been indicted or convicted, the SC will easily overturn the Colorado decision.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.23  TᵢG  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @10.2.3    10 months ago
And we still are laughing at the J6 Shit show and those gullible enough to believe anything they've cried about.

Once again you claim that what was provided by the Jan 6th committee is bullshit.   

As I have illustrated in the past, you refuse to acknowledge wrongdoing by Trump.    He has now been formally indicted and will be tried on felony accounts yet you ... in spite of this ... refuse to acknowledge wrongdoing.

You ignore the testimonies of high-ranking, connected Republicans who put their political careers in jeopardy by testifying under oath against Trump.   

You refuse to acknowledge that Trump lied to the world that the USA electoral system was rigged, that Biden is not the legitimate PotUS and that the US electorate was disenfranchised.   Yet here is Trump doing exactly that:

Trump tried to overturn the results of the election using the authority of his office and against the Constitution:

• He lied claiming that he won the election but was cheated due to fraud.
  • He tried to suborn an unconstitutional act from his own V.P. — tried to get Pence to table counts of select states he lost to try to win through all other states.
  • He tried to get officials to 'find votes' so that he could win states he lost (e.g. Georgia).
  • He tried to get state legislators to override the votes in their states (e.g. Michigan)
  • He encouraged his supporters to fight against the 'fraud' and to protest the count (after months of working them up with lies of a fraudulent election).

Denying facts that do not fit your desires is confirmation bias which leads to living in a false reality and, thus, being wrong most of the time.   The evidence of Trump's wrongdoing is overwhelming yet you claim this is not real and that those who are acknowledging this overwhelming evidence are merely gullible and driven by emotion.

Just incredible.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.2.24  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.23    10 months ago
Trump tried to overturn the results of the election using the authority of his office and against the Constitution:
  • He lied claiming that he won the election but was cheated due to fraud.
  • He tried to suborn an unconstitutional act from his own V.P. — tried to get Pence to table counts of select states he lost to try to win through all other states.
  • He tried to get officials to 'find votes' so that he could win states he lost (e.g. Georgia).
  • He tried to get state legislators to override the votes in their states (e.g. Michigan)
  • He encouraged his supporters to fight against the 'fraud' and to protest the count (after months of working them up with lies of a fraudulent election).

That seems like the 50th time you have posted the same links. They 're not interested. [deleted]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.25  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @10.2.22    10 months ago

The supreme court of Colorado does not have to convict or even formally charge Trump with a crime.  They were not dealing with the question of whether or not Trump committed a crime.   They were dealing with the question of eligibility.   

You are inserting a spurious requirement.   Adjudication (especially with a supreme court) deals with specific questions and will make rulings on those questions while leaving other questions (e.g. did Trump commit a crime?) unanswered.

The Colorado supreme court determined that Trump did indeed act in a way that satisfies the "engaged in insurrection" phrase of §3 of the 14th.   They did not pursue this and deal with the question of criminality (or any other aspect) since their focus was strictly on eligibility.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
10.2.26  MrFrost  replied to  bugsy @10.2.22    10 months ago
It doesn't

Exactly.

but it does say the individual has to engage in an insurrection.

Which the CO. SC found he did. 

Being that insurrection is a crime, and Trump has not been indicted or convicted, the SC will easily overturn the Colorado decision.

Maybe. But never know. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.27  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @10.2.24    10 months ago

When crazy claims are made, all one can do is ignore them (often) or rebut them.   This time I chose to rebut.

This will never change the minds of those who are ignoring reality.   All it does is remind readers of the substantial evidence that is part of actual reality.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.2.28  Sean Treacy  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.25    10 months ago
Colorado does not have to convict or even formally charge Trump with a crime.  They were not dealing with the question of whether or not Trump committed a crime

Unless the Supreme Court says the 14th Amendment requires them to. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
10.2.29  bugsy  impassed  TᵢG @10.2.25    10 months ago

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.2.30  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @10.2.24    10 months ago

I believe the word is agnorant.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.31  TᵢG  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.2.28    10 months ago
Unless the Supreme Court says the 14th Amendment requires them to

Correct.   The SCotUS is a higher court and thus can overrule a lower court.

The point I made, however, is that a court does not have to formally convict or even formally charge an individual before they can determine if that individual's behavior qualifies for the question at hand.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.2.32  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.31    10 months ago

Hey, did you hear about the recording they have of the former 'president' pressuring Michigan to defraud?  Maybe Michigan should now follow Colorado's lead.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10.2.33  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @10.2.32    10 months ago

Michigan Court of Appeals rules Trump can remain on 2024 GOP primary ballot

The court upheld two lower courts’ rulings.

By
Isabella Murray
December 14, 2023, 7:26 PM ET
It’s a challenge to stay current.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.2.34  Sean Treacy  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.31    10 months ago
er, is that a court does not have to formally convict or even formally charge an individual before they can determine if that individual's behavior qualifies for the question at hand.

That absolutely depends on the nature of the  question at hand.  In this case, for instance, some judges have said you don't. Others have said you do need a conviction or that only Congress can remove a Candidate for engaging in an insurrection. The answer will likely be provided by the Supreme Court. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.35  TᵢG  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.2.34    10 months ago
The answer will likely be provided by the Supreme Court. 

Yes, the SCotUS, as I have stated repeatedly, has the final say.   If they do not weigh in then the ruling by the Colorado supreme court appropriately and legally applies in the state of Colorado.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10.2.36  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.35    10 months ago

If so, other than a bad precedent, it will likely have little effect on Trump being nominated and may help.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.37  TᵢG  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.2.36    10 months ago

Colorado is almost certainly not going for Trump regardless of this ruling.   

This ruling is already likely helping Trump in general since anything against Trump from the 'establishment' improves his polling position.

The Trump effect is an unfortunate enigma.   I remain amazed that one con-man can ensnare the GoP.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10.2.38  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.37    10 months ago

Exactly.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
10.2.39  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  TᵢG @10.2.37    10 months ago

Agreed that Co, likely wouldn't go Trump in the general, I am reminding myself this ruling applies only to the primary ballot affecting only Colorado voters in their primary and who they get to vote for in that race.

iF Trump were to win the national nomination at the convention and advances to the general ballot in Nov, the mentioned court would likely have to make another ruling that would be under scrutiny of the FEC as well to cover that separate ballot .

A lot can happen between now and then. Just read the USSC denied the request to determine Trumps immunity status today via fast track thus putting all prosecutions on hold until that makes it's way through the appeals process.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.40  TᵢG  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @10.2.39    10 months ago
Just read the USSC denied the request to determine Trumps immunity status today via fast track thus putting all prosecutions on hold until that makes it's way through the appeals process.

Yes, quite a bad sign that the SCotUS is allowing Trump to delay the resolution of this critical question.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
10.2.41  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  TᵢG @10.2.40    10 months ago

It was the prosecutor that petitioned the court to fast track a ruling on presidential immunity, the SCOTUS simply said follow the appeals process,they may or may not get to hear this depending on appeals, but if I were a betting person I would bet they want those exhausted first.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.42  TᵢG  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @10.2.41    10 months ago
It was the prosecutor that petitioned the court to fast track a ruling on presidential immunity

Yes.   Trump wanted to go through appeals first and the SCotUS is effectively giving Trump what he wants.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
10.2.43  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  TᵢG @10.2.42    10 months ago

Well to my way of thinking , agree or not , being this is a landmark case (I have heard/ read it called that), not necessarily the first of its kind , but likely the first of its kind at this level , it would be prudent to go the entire appeals process  to lay the legal judgement basis down for precedent sake( for whatever thats worth) based both on law and constitutionality in case it should ever come up again in the future

JBB
Professor Principal
10.2.44  JBB  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @10.2.43    10 months ago

Except, if Trump (God Forbid) or anyone of the other Alt-MAGA gop contenders except Chris Christy gets elected, they will pardon the whole "Trump Mess" into legal nonexistence...

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
10.2.45  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JBB @10.2.44    10 months ago

I dont think that is the issue being put before and requested of the courts  that T,G and i are contemplating .

My understanding is the issue/s before the court is , exactly what is covered by "immunity" and how far and long does it exist .

And how does it apply to trump.

The first issue has to be decided before the second can be  and the first will be setting how any future president can or would be held accountable .

the second part , how it applied in trumps case , will be setting how every future president will be judged in the future .

i think the court is dotting their i,s and crossing their t,s because this has future applications/implications going forward even 100 years from now .

JBB
Professor Principal
10.2.46  JBB  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @10.2.45    10 months ago

Nobody including Presidents are above the law and speech, when it is a criminal conspiracy to overthrow a Presidential election, is not legally immune no matter what!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.47  TᵢG  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @10.2.43    10 months ago

I agree that it is best to follow the normal order; unless there are mitigating factors.   Here we have the issue of limited time.   Smith was calculating that Trump will lose the appeal and then appeal to the SCotUS.   He was trying to circumvent the Trump-team's delay tactic.   Makes sense to me in this situation.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.2.48  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.47    10 months ago
Here we have the issue of limited time. 

Not too hard to see a reason for that.    They waited nearly two years to start this “investigation.”

Timed to line up with the 2024 elections.    No doubt about it.    They have no one to blame but themselves if they have an issue of “limited time.”

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
10.2.49  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  TᵢG @10.2.47    10 months ago

I agree,the longer trump can streach it out it benefits him.

That likely will not affect the outcome though.

I saw Smith is asking to skip the appeals court en banc part of trump loses on the 3 member panel part.

I don't think the high court is going to grant that. As I said to another, they are dotting the i's and crossing all t's, that way no one can claim any step was skipped.

Though time can be taken into consideration, I don't think the court will see it with as such urgency that steps of the process need to be by passed.

This is one I don't think the court is going to "punt", but rather make sure all steps are taken as needed to make a final ruling. A ruling that not only has to do with and affects trump, but all presidents from the day of the ruling forward, yes that includes the current holder of the office.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.50  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @10.2.48    10 months ago
They have no one to blame but themselves if they have an issue of “limited time.”

I doubt Smith is thinking about petty and pointless factors such as blame.   He is likely thinking as a rational adult and attempting to counter anticipated moves by the Trump legal team.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.51  TᵢG  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @10.2.49    10 months ago

Yup, I can see why the SCotUS would not take the case.   Unfortunately, politics is intertwined in everything nowadays.  Further, no matter how these courts decide, there will be public outcries.   That would certainly encourage the SCotUS to hold off until they truly are the court of last resort.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.2.52  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.50    10 months ago

You can doubt the political angle of this all you want but IMO that would be incredibly naive.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.53  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @10.2.52    10 months ago

The most obvious political aspect comes from GOP loyalists who see the Trump cases as ONLY political and refuse to acknowledge that these charges are indeed based on merit.   Trump's actions after his loss were historically bad.   He is the only sitting PotUS in our history who has attempted to steal a US election through fraud, lying, coercion and incitement.   He violated his oath of office in his attempt to circumvent the CotUS and his attempt to undermine the pillar of democracy — the vote of the electorate.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.2.54  Tessylo  replied to  cjcold @10.2.17    10 months ago

"They're doing this for me"

I bet if there weren't others around, he would have been jerking off his little mushroom

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.2.55  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.40    10 months ago

Well Ginny, I mean Clarence, has obviously been bought and paid for and I do not trust any of those lying hypocrites who overturned Roe v Wade

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.2.56  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @10.2.46    10 months ago

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif unprecedented that a former 'president' incites a failed coup/resurrection and folks want to give the turd immunity,

Unfuckingbelievable.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.2.57  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.53    10 months ago

Which again, avoids the main points of comment 10.2.48.     Any reasonable specific answer to those points, other than mine, will do.

Why did they wait nearly two years to investigate such “heinous” behavior.    Thus in your words, placing themselves in a “issue of limited time” situation.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.58  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @10.2.57    10 months ago
Why did they wait over two years to investigate such “heinous” behavior.

Why do you presume 'they' were waiting as opposed to gathering evidence?   What makes you think that investigations were not taking place prior to the naming of a special counsel?   Do you not count the work of the Jan 6th committee, for example, as an investigation?

Speculating as to why Trump was not immediately indicted after he left the presidency is pointless unless guided by credible information.   If you have credible information that explains the delay then offer it.   If all you are going to do is claim that the delay indicates that the indictment was quickly assembled to harm Trump's candidacy then I will dismiss that as partisan conspiracy theory.

Further, given how any adverse action taken against Trump increases his popularity, pursuing justice for purely political reasons is counterproductive.    Maybe we are seeing Trump being brought to justice for his stark wrongdoings.

Do you think the charges against Trump are without merit?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.2.59  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.58    10 months ago

No direct answer to my question.   Only deflection and speculation.

And according to you it’s pointless to speculate why it took two years to assign a special council to investigate Trump but not pointless to speculate that he was being investigated before that.

Ridiculous.   You are once again trying to have your cake and eat it to.    SOSDD.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
10.2.60  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @10.2.59    10 months ago
No direct answer to my question.  

You deflect from my questions and then accuse me of doing so:  projection.

I will spell out my answer to your question:  I have insufficient information that allows me to determine if the amount of time to prepare the indictment was unduly long and, if so, why it was.   

If you have such information, share it.

Otherwise, you offer nothing but uninformed speculation.   Speculation that is not based on probative evidence accomplishes nothing.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.2.61  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.60    10 months ago

That’s no answer.    It’s just another deflection.

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.2.62  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @10.2.58    9 months ago

'being brought to justice' is all most of us want

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.2.63  Tessylo  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @10.2.45    9 months ago

Immunity doesn't apply when you're trying to overturn an election/commit a traitorous act/incite an insurrection.  He's not King.  He's not above the law.  He wasn't 'president' at the time either.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
10.2.64  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @10.2.63    9 months ago

Yes he was still president until the inauguration. [deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.2.66  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @10.2.63    9 months ago

What I meant to say was that I never really considered him to be 'president' in the first place.  I meant to amend my comment earlier but don't hang around NT 24/7 and had other things to do.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
10.2.67  afrayedknot  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @10.2.64    9 months ago

“Yes he was still president until the inauguration.”

Making his actions to overturn a duly held election, his attempts to coerce election officials, his only so veiled threats to Pence, his 1/6 actions and subsequent inaction, and his continued refusal to accept the facts to this day all relevant and inexcusable  

That he has the temerity to run on the irrefutable as a martyr of his own making and still garners excuse is beyond reason. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.68  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @10.2.67    9 months ago

How about letting the courts do their jobs?

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.2.69  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @10.2.68    9 months ago

still think he's innocent of every charge and getting off the hook,  huh?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.70  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @10.2.69    9 months ago
still think he's innocent of every charge and getting off the hook,  huh?

Still reading my posts but assigning different meanings to the words you read, eh?

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.2.71  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @10.2.70    9 months ago

still can't answer direct questions?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.72  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @10.2.71    9 months ago

It was an incredibly ignorant question which got ALL the answer it richly deserved.

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.2.73  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @10.2.72    9 months ago

so, that's a no then?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.74  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @10.2.73    9 months ago
so, that's a no then?

Was there anything in my post that you did understand?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.3  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @10    10 months ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.3.1  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @10.3    9 months ago

amazing how many ex service members think they're also exempt from defending the constitution, like their hero...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @10.3.1    9 months ago

Hmmmm....I took that oath for life

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.3.3  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.3.2    9 months ago

... yeah, but you possess character, integrity, and honor.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.3.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @10.3.3    9 months ago

thank-you

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.3.5  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.3.4    9 months ago

... and pizza and beer.

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.3.6  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @10.3.5    9 months ago

and a wicked left hook...

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
11  Jeremy Retired in NC    10 months ago
Former President Donald J. Trump is ineligible to hold office again, the Colorado Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday, accepting the argument that the 14th Amendment disqualifies him in an explosive decision that could upend the 2024 election.

So no charges, trial or verdicts given in this.  What exactly are the grounds for this decision?  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
11.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @11    10 months ago

[deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
11.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @11.1    10 months ago

There is no legal basis for it, so I guess that's the only other thing left.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @11.1.1    10 months ago
There is no legal basis for it,

The Court wrote a 213 page legal basis for it, but I suppose MAGA knows better. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
11.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.2    10 months ago
no charges, trial or verdicts given in this

You're running on hurt feelings (still).  When were charges filed, a trial held, and a verdict given?  There wasn't?  Hence, NO. LEGAL.  BASIS. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.2    10 months ago
he Court wrote a 213 page legal basis for it, but I suppose MAGA knows better.

Oh. So someone needs to write a 214 page dissent and then they win. 

Trump is the luckiest man alive in who is enemies are.  They are doing everything they can right now to make him President.  7 unelected Democratic appointees, decided to simply throw him off the ballot.  That's a gift to him.  What could more dramatically support  his point about democratic conspiracies to his followers than Democrats assaulting the integrity of elections to keep him from winning? 

Of course the next step will be Trump friendly states throwing Biden/Harris off the ballot in November. Can't have someone who aided and gave comfort to insurrectionists (paid their bail for instance) on the ballot. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
11.1.6  afrayedknot  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.1.5    10 months ago

“Of course the next step will be Trump friendly states throwing Biden/Harris off the ballot in November.”

Of course.

Imagine that. The tit for tat.

Does anyone remember when policy mattered? We have somehow lost our way when retribution ‘trumps’ accountability. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1.15  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.1.5    10 months ago

The facts Sean, the facts. Do you have any memory of what a fact is?  The Colorado court lays out, in great detail , what constitutes an insurrection according to definition, then shows why Trump's conduct fits that description and definition.

You want to just blow that off because you like to rant about the left. 

Frankly, its pitiful. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
11.1.22  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.15    10 months ago

Part of this thread was removed for taunting and no value. Knock it off. Only warning.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.1.23  Sean Treacy  replied to  afrayedknot @11.1.6    10 months ago
magine that. The tit for tat.

That's why lawfare is poison for a republic. Instead of everyone agreeing to abide by a common set of traditions and norms as to what is, and isn't, done, politicians adopt maximalist legal positions to serve their interest in the moment. The law can twisted, particularly  the  open ended language used in many criminal statutes, to make crimes out actions no one ever intended them to cover. 

So yeah, if this succeeds, Republicans will no doubt start doing the same thing where possible. There was an "insurrection" yesterday at the Capitol.  Under the new rules, partisan judges can simply exclude anyone who gave "aid" or "comfort" to those protesters, using as broad a definition of those terms, as they see fit.  Did Biden's visit to the pedophile who stabbed the police officer in Kenosha  give aid and comfort to the rioting insurrectionists? It can sure be argued it did, and now a Republican state can simply remove Biden. And if Republicans don't play "tit for tat" anger builds among the base, until those who promise to do so are in control.  That's how we got Trump in the first place. One party played for blood, one party had Mitt Romney.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.1.24  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.15    10 months ago
The Colorado court lays out, in great detail , what constitutes an insurrection according to definitio

do you not understand how easy it is to do that for any number of "protests?"  Putting aside the easy ones, like the BLM riots, there have been protests at the Supreme Court and Capitol  the last few years that can fit under the definition of insurrection.  And "aid and comfort" are even more open ended terms.  Is writing a letter in support of the BLM protests enough? Arguably. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1.25  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.1.24    10 months ago

your constant attempts at whataboutism are weak

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.1.26  devangelical  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.1.24    10 months ago

which BLM riots attempted to obstruct a joint session of Congress from performing it's constitutional mandate for the peaceful transfer of power?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.1.27  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.25    10 months ago
your constant attempts at whataboutism are weak

Since you don't believe in any rule other "what's good for Democrats right this second is what's good for everyone" I can see you how you believe that. You need core principles, or a belief that rules apply to everyone , to even care about the precedent you set.  Precedent doesn't really matter to you, because  you have no problem arguing the exact opposite position if an hour from now if it would benefit the Democrats.   The idea that the law can applied in ways you don't like  is simply too foreign a concept for you to even have to bother with worrying about it. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1.28  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.1.27    10 months ago

To be honest with you, I have no idea what your complaint is, other than people want Trump out of politics. Which apparently you dont approve of. 

The Colorado court concluded there had been an insurrection, and goes into considerable detail as to why that definition fits Jan 6th. They then go into great detail as to how Trump supported that insurrection. 

You can disagree with their conclusions, but to say the whole thing is based on partisan hatred or unfairness to Trump is bizarre. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.1.29  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.28    10 months ago
e honest with you, I have no idea what your complaint is, other than people want Trump out of politics

Really? Its that hard to see that the Court using lawfare to deprive Americans of a legitimate election is a problem?

ther than people want Trump out of politics

I'd like Joe Biden out of politics. I don't think Judges should take him off the ballot because I think he's a shady guy.  If people want him out, vote him out. That's how its supposed to be done. 

ut to say but to say the whole thing is based on partisan hatred or unfairness to Trump is bizarre.

7 Democratic appointed judges on a 4-3 vote  remove the other's party's candidate from the ballot based on an extremely novel and disputed theory and you are surprised people think it's unfair?  It really amazes me how little Democrats understand how people think and will predictably react to their partisan maneuvering. It's absolutely  shocking.  It's the "we can nuke the filibuster because we will always control the Senate and will never need to use it in the future" attitude all over again.  

Or they are complete bullshit artists.  Maybe they secretly wanted make sure he sealed the nomination and did this to push him over the finish line. Because everything they do seems intentionally designed to make him stronger. 

Just don't bitch when this tactic gets used against Democrats.   It's not that hard to write 214 page decisions finding a lot of those BLM protests to be "insurrections" and that alot of  Democrats provided aid and comfort to them. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.1.30  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.1.29    10 months ago

Here's a pundit at Townhall, who has a good handle on the Republican mood:

Democrats validated Trump's claims of election interference against him, galvanized Trump's supporters, and gave him loads of earned media attention that further amplified his message. What Democrats did not do: divide the Republican party or poison the GOP against the former president by kicking him off the ballot.  Instead, it caused Republicans to rally behind Trump at a level not seen since the FBI's raid of Mar-a-Lago and again make him the center of the political universe weeks before the Iowa caucuses. If Democrats wanted to debunk Trump's claim that Team Biden is engaging in election interference to rig 2024 for Biden, this was certainly not the way to do it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1.31  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.1.29    10 months ago

The FACTS. You keep ignoring the facts.

There was an insurrection, and Trump supported it. 

Anyone with a glancing knowledge of the J6 committee findings knows this. 

It is up to the Supreme Court now. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
11.1.32  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.31    10 months ago
There was an insurrection, and Trump supported it. 

18 USC 2383

Rebellion or insurrection is a federal offense that criminalizes inciting, engaging in, or giving aid and comfort to any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or its laws.

To date, I don’t think any participant in 6 Jan has even been charged with this violation.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.1.33  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.31    10 months ago

If only there was some method to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt.  Some sort of trial or something. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11.1.34  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.2    10 months ago

Please provide your definition of MAGA if you can.

bugsy
Professor Participates
11.1.35  bugsy  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @11.1.34    10 months ago

I requested this yesterday but have not yet received an answer.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11.1.36  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  bugsy @11.1.35    10 months ago

And we most likely will not.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
11.1.37  cjcold  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.22    10 months ago

[Deleted]

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
11.1.38  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @11.1.37    10 months ago

I don’t think that she is at all, sad that you do.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11.1.39  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.1.33    10 months ago

Even when Aaron Burr was arrested for treason, he was given due process and a legitimate trial. Something many on the hardcore left, in their biased rabid hatred, refuse to allow for Trump.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.40  TᵢG  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @11.1.39    10 months ago

If Trump is charged with treason, he will be given due process just as he is given due process for his extant 91 charges.

But he has not been charged with treason.  His charges fall under the category of seditious conspiracy:  

• to defraud the United States
  • to obstruct an official proceeding
  • obstruction of and attempt to obstruct an official proceeding
  • conspiracy against rights

Trump has not been charged with treason, likely because the legal bar for treason is high and Jack Smith focused on clear law and clear evidence.   So what is the point in talking about it?

evilone
Professor Guide
11.1.41  evilone  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @11.1.39    10 months ago
Something many on the hardcore left, in their biased rabid hatred, refuse to allow for Trump.

Where is Trump NOT getting legitimate trials and what do you base your determination for what is and what is not legally legitimate? 

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.1.42  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.40    10 months ago

observe the efforts of the maga amateur legal review in their quest to find that technicality accomplished legal minds in america have overlooked...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
11.1.43  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.40    10 months ago

Surprisingly, he wasn’t charged with 18 USC 2383: Rebellion or insurrection nor 18 USC § 2384 - Seditious conspiracy.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.44  TᵢG  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @11.1.43    10 months ago

Pretty sure Smith very carefully chose his charges to yield the strongest possible meaningful case.

No doubt he anticipated technical legal maneuvers based on nuances in semantics and the law.

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.1.45  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.44    10 months ago

lawyers aren't gamblers. why climb a ladder when there's low hanging fruit.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
11.1.46  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @11.1.45    10 months ago
lawyers aren't gamblers. why climb a ladder when there's low hanging fruit.

Exactly, you never hear of a DA stacking charges.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.47  TᵢG  replied to  devangelical @11.1.45    10 months ago

Smith has demonstrated that he knows that the stakes are as high as they get.   Charging a former PotUS with multiple felonies is incredibly bold in itself.   It has never happened in the history of our nation.

Thus Smith, appropriately, is making sure that the charges he makes are sound in terms of evidence and the law and are easy enough for a jury to fully comprehend.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.48  TᵢG  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @11.1.46    10 months ago
Exactly, you never hear of a DA stacking charges.

Smith has chosen to not go after Trump for crimes such as treason but rather for easier charges (as enumerated in his indictment).

Smith issued charges that are well founded rather than reaching for higher charges that have a much higher risk of failure to convict.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.49  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.44    10 months ago

But all the armchair lawyers know better than we, obviously, TiG./S

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.1.50  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.47    10 months ago

smith also has to prosecute a perfect case to silence the legal nit pickers as they rattle every door and window looking for an out. the job of the defense will be just as difficult. defend the indefensible while keeping the defendant's mouth muted.

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.1.51  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.48    10 months ago

jack has a bushel of 3 to 5 year federal charges with trumps words and deeds as proof.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
11.1.52  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @11.1.49    10 months ago

[deleted]

[Members are not the topic]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.53  TᵢG  replied to  devangelical @11.1.50    10 months ago

Exactly.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
11.1.54  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @11.1.52    10 months ago

[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.55  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @11.1.42    10 months ago

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.56  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @11.1.50    10 months ago

it's impossible for him to keep his big fat mouth shut

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
11.1.57  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @11.1.56    10 months ago

So you are disagreeing with 11.1.50 ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.58  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @11.1.56    10 months ago

I was referring to the former 'president'.  How is that off topic and no value?  FFS.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
11.1.59  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @11.1.58    10 months ago

[Deleted]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11.1.60  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  evilone @11.1.41    10 months ago

I think it is quite safe to say that trials by kangaroo courts of public opinion by certain segments of the general population certainly are not legally legitimate. That is the point I have been trying to get across. I guess I did not make myself clear enough.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1.61  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @11.1.60    10 months ago

You have but we have a segment of our society that only uses legal and legitimate when it suits a preferred narrative.     Otherwise, all bets are off.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.62  TᵢG  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @11.1.60    10 months ago
I think it is quite safe to say that trials by kangaroo courts of public opinion by certain segments of the general population certainly are not legally legitimate. That is the point I have been trying to get across. I guess I did not make myself clear enough.

The court of public opinion is going to happen in every high profile case.    That is just reality and it is to be expected.

Trump is, however, getting due process.   He clearly has engaged in wrongdoing, the evidence is substantial, the laws that he is accused of breaking are specifically stated in his indictments and correlated with the evidence. 

Rather than being treated unfairly, it is quite likely that Trump will continue to enjoy extraordinary benefit of the doubt due to his status as a former PotUS and current candidate (and likely GOP nominee) for the office.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11.1.63  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.62    10 months ago

For the most part I agree with you, but the bottom line is that Trump, like any other citizen, is still entitled to a judge and jury to determine ultimate guilt or innocence under the law. I choose to withhold my opinion on his guilt or innocence until then. If certain individuals wish to damn me for that than so be it. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.64  TᵢG  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @11.1.63    10 months ago
Trump, like any other citizen, is still entitled to a judge and jury to determine ultimate guilt or innocence under the law.

Do you not think this is happening?   Like I said, there is no stopping public opinion (positive or negative) so that just is what it is.

But legally, Trump is certainly enjoying due process.    Even better for him, he has millions of supporters helping him with his legal bills through campaign donations (which should be illegal):  

Trump’s Save America political action committee has paid nearly $37 million to more than 60 law firms and individual attorneys since January 2022, Federal Election Commission records show. That amounts to more than half of the PAC’s total expenditures, according to an Associated Press analysis of campaign finance filings, and represents a staggering sum compared to other political organizations.

Also, there is nothing wrong with people expressing their opinion that Trump has engaged in wrongdoing, just like there is nothing wrong with you not opining on his legal guilt prior to the conclusion of his trial.

However, there is something very wrong with those who deny / ignore Trump's wrongdoings in spite of blatant and overwhelming evidence (and proof in cases) to the contrary.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1.65  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.64    10 months ago

Trump supporters have lost all sight of simple right and wrong.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.66  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.65    10 months ago

IMO, those who deny his wrongdoing have decided that making incredibly stupid, demonstrably false partisan claims and feeble partisan arguments in Trump's defense is more important to them than truth and their own credibility.

( Note: my opinion does not include Ed NavDoc in this group. )

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.1.67  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.66    10 months ago

you'd think that someone professing their innocence so loudly would be interested in clearing their name before the next election and try to expedite the legal process.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1.68  JohnRussell  replied to  devangelical @11.1.67    10 months ago

Trump knows that there is nothing on this earth that can clear his name. He just wants to keep the ball rolling.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.69  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.68    10 months ago

Yes, it is quite obvious that his desperate plan is to delay trials until he wins the presidency at which point he will try another historical first and attempt to pardon himself.    And if Trump wins the presidency, I would bet that our then demonstrably fucked up system would allow him to do so.

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.1.70  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.69    10 months ago

I don't see that happening without bloodshed...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
11.1.71  cjcold  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.66    9 months ago
does not include

My opinion does.

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.1.72  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @11.1.71    9 months ago

LOL

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.2  Tacos!  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @11    10 months ago
So no charges, trial or verdicts given in this.  What exactly are the grounds for this decision?

It’s common in civil matters (and that’s what this is) for a court to make a finding on a relevant question of fact. It doesn’t require the usual criminal procedures because the accused will not be imprisoned as a result.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tacos! @11.2    10 months ago

’s common in civil matters (and that’s what this is)

Sure. It's no more important than a fender bender. Using that standard to justify removing the leading candidate for the Presidency from  the ballot and delegitimizing a Presidential election makes perfect sense. How can people possibly be upset by that? \

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
11.2.2  afrayedknot  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.2.1    10 months ago

“…to justify removing the leading candidate…”

The fact that he is leading is immaterial. The fact that he is facing a multitude of criminal cases is most certainly relevant.  The fact that he continues to lead is a testament to how low we have descended…the discourse, the distrust, and the disregard for our system of governance that one individual has wantonly blown up.

Most disturbing, he somehow still is able to manipulate a cadre that embraces the insanity. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  afrayedknot @11.2.2    10 months ago
The fact that he is leading is immaterial

Not in the real world. That's not how this will be viewed by anyone open to the possibility of supporting Trump.  

You have seven appointed Democrats voting 4 to 3 to remove the candidate who is beating their party's nominee from the ballot. That's  what happens in banana republics. If you can't see the problem with those optics, I don't know what to tell you.  

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
11.2.4  afrayedknot  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.2.3    10 months ago

“…to remove the candidate who is beating their party's nominee from the ballot…”

So in your ‘banana republic’ world, polling data 11 months out should supersede articles written in our constitution? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.2.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  afrayedknot @11.2.4    10 months ago
polling data 11 months out should supersede articles written in our constitution? 

Of course not. But you should actually convict the person of the crime listed in the article of Constitution before removing him from the ballot.  When an election is interfered with and people are not allowed the chance to vote for the candidate of their choice, the reasoning  must be ironclad and not an exercise in partisan legal extremism.

It's actually disturbing how blind people are to the precedent this sets beyond trump.  It's like the filibuster all over again. Keep abusing it, don't heed the warnings and then act surprised when the obvious reaction occurs. If this stands, it will create a massive legitimacy crises. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
11.2.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.2.5    10 months ago
But you should actually convict the person of the crime listed in the article of Constitution before removing him from the ballot.

Odd how that one sentence eludes some people.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @11.2.6    10 months ago
Odd how that one sentence eludes some people.

My God, they are talking about Trump.

No way sanity, reason, and logic can be applied.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
11.2.8  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.7    10 months ago

I'm surely not smashing myself in the head with a ball peen hammer to get down to that mind set.  And I don't think there's enough alcohol.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
11.2.9  afrayedknot  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.2.5    10 months ago

“If this stands, it will create a massive legitimacy crises.”

As opposed to the manufactured and totally unfounded ‘legitimacy crisis’ that has been at the forefront of discussion since the 2020 election results were legally and constitutionally ratified?

Not only the forefront of discussion, but the main factor in the CO decision, as the reactions to that election form the basis of their case.

Let the courts decide the constitutional merits of the ruling. Until then, plenty of partisan crises to grouse about. peace

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.2.10  devangelical  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @11.2.8    10 months ago

that combination of mental adjustments could only benefit diehard trump supporters at this point...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.2.11  Sean Treacy  replied to  afrayedknot @11.2.9    10 months ago
pposed to the manufactured and totally unfounded ‘legitimacy crisis’ that has been at the forefront of discussion since the 2020 election r

Which was piled upon manufactured legitimacy crisis upon  crisis since 2000.   I'm sure intentionally creating another crisis will calm everyone down. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.2.12  Tacos!  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.2.5    10 months ago
But you should actually convict the person of the crime listed in the article of Constitution before removing him from the ballot.

Why? When has “you can’t be on the ballot” ever been a punishment in a criminal court? Criminal courts adjudicate matters where the defendant stands to be punished in loss of life, liberty, or property. That’s why he gets due process under the 5th Amendment.

Civil matters, like where you might only lose the privilege of being on a ballot, are handled differently. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
11.2.13  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tacos! @11.2.12    10 months ago

The Enforcement Clause of the 14th Amendment says, “The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article."

A private injured party could ask a judge for a writ of Quo Warranto to determine, if Trump wins in 2024 for his eligibility.  The individual would first have to prove standing.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
11.2.14  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  devangelical @11.2.10    10 months ago

Yeah, not bringing myself down to the level of the left.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.2.15  devangelical  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @11.2.14    9 months ago

yeah, go with that...

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
12  Jeremy Retired in NC    10 months ago
civil matters

Where the burden of proof is much lower and feelings take over.  

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
13  Right Down the Center    10 months ago

Having the courts decide on who can and can not be on a ballot based on a presidents perceived "treason" would actually create a constitutional crisis. And I don't mean one like the 200 or so constitutional crisis the dems have claimed over the last few years.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
14  JohnRussell    10 months ago

What some of the comments on this seed demonstrate is that few "conservatives" have any idea of what the Jan 6th committee found. The Colorado Supreme Court looked at the Jan 6th evidence, and reached their conclusion. Right wingers dont even know what the evidence is. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
14.1  Gsquared  replied to  JohnRussell @14    10 months ago

They also don't understand that Section 3 of the 14th Amendment does not require a criminal conviction.

When it comes to their Dear Leader Trump an originalist, strict-constructionist interpretation of the Constitution doesn't count.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
14.1.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Gsquared @14.1    10 months ago

“They also don't understand that Section 3 of the 14th Amendment does not require a criminal conviction.”

Hence the hue and cry.

Inflating a constitutionally based decision into an unconstitutional argument with no legal standing cuts them off at the legs. The only thing left is to joust away…’tis but a scratch…

Snuffy
Professor Participates
14.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  afrayedknot @14.1.1    10 months ago

From what I read, insurrection is a criminal charge.

Simply put, it's considered a crime against the United States.

The Attorney General could file insurrection and rebellion charges, but you should know that prosecution under this specific federal statute is rare. Still, there are some situations where rebellion charges can be pursued.

18 U.S. Code § 2383 | Rebellion or Insurrection (federalcriminaldefenseadvocates.com)

Say what you will about how much Trump may or may not have been a part of this, if it's a criminal charge then doesn't there need to be a trial and conviction?  The judges in this case decided without any trial that Trump is guilty of insurrection. I don't see how this will be allowed to stand as written.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
14.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @14.1.1    10 months ago

What does the law say about implementation of Sec 3 for federal offices?

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
14.1.4  afrayedknot  replied to  Snuffy @14.1.2    10 months ago

“…if it's a criminal charge then doesn't there need to be a trial and conviction? ”

This is a charge that he violated the tenets written into the Constitution. If we can at least acknowledge the standing of the court to render such a decision, then and only then can the merits of such be debated. Seems we’re still aways from reaching that basic understanding. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
14.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @14.1.4    10 months ago
If we can at least acknowledge the standing of the court to render such a decision, then and only then can the merits of such be debated.

Congress reserved that right for itself in Sec 5 of the Amendment.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
14.1.6  Snuffy  replied to  afrayedknot @14.1.4    10 months ago

Seems to me that the Colorado Supreme Court did not bring a charge, they found Trump guilty of insurrection in that they have ruled he is not eligible to be on the ballot. As it was not tried in a court of law Trump did not have due process. I'm not a legal expert by any stretch of the imagination but I have a hard time seeing this not being overturned by SCOTUS.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
14.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  Snuffy @14.1.6    10 months ago

Oh it will be.    Then our friends will shift their venom back towards SCOTUS.    One wonders who they think they are fooling with their partisan nonsense.   Certainly not thinking people.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
14.1.8  Right Down the Center  replied to  Sparty On @14.1.7    10 months ago
One wonders who they think they are fooling with their partisan nonsense.

They are only fooling themselves    

bugsy
Professor Participates
14.1.9  bugsy  replied to  Snuffy @14.1.6    10 months ago
I have a hard time seeing this not being overturned by SCOTUS.

I wonder if this is overturned, and at least one of the liberal jurists side with the majority, would the little leftist POS protest outside their house, scream insanely and bring weapons and live ammunition with them like they did with the ROE decision?

My guess is this leftist jurist will be ignored for their decision.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
14.1.10  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Snuffy @14.1.6    10 months ago

They are enforcing and violating constitution all with one decision.  And NONE of them are smart enough to catch it.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
14.1.11  Right Down the Center  replied to  bugsy @14.1.9    10 months ago

And unless it is 9-0 or maybe 8-1 we can enjoy the calls to pack the court again

devangelical
Professor Principal
14.1.12  devangelical  replied to  Right Down the Center @14.1.11    10 months ago

a 6-3 decision has already been prepaid...

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
14.1.13  Right Down the Center  replied to  devangelical @14.1.12    10 months ago

My money is on 7-2

Sparty On
Professor Principal
14.1.14  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @14.1.12    10 months ago

To quote one of your hero’s.

Elections have consequences.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
14.1.15  Snuffy  replied to  Right Down the Center @14.1.13    10 months ago

What's the over/under line on how quickly Congressional Democrats start to call for packing SCOTUS after the decision is handed down?

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
14.1.16  Right Down the Center  replied to  Snuffy @14.1.15    10 months ago

The same day the decision is leaked to them.  I am sure they already have people looking into why some should recuse themselves and if they can add a couple justices within the next month or so.

devangelical
Professor Principal
14.1.17  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @14.1.14    9 months ago

... so do insurrections.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
14.1.18  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @14.1.17    9 months ago

Which insurrection is that?    

Since no one to date has been found guilty of insurrection.    

Not in the last 150 years or so at least.

devangelical
Professor Principal
14.1.19  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @14.1.18    9 months ago

I encourage trumpster efforts to continue making the legal arguments to keep biden in office, even if he loses the next election...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
14.1.20  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @14.1.19    9 months ago

So no insurrection.    Got it.   Thx!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
14.1.21  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @14.1.20    9 months ago

Do you think Trump, who attempted to steal the 2020 presidential election through fraud, lying, coercion, and incitement is fit to serve as PotUS?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
14.1.22  Tessylo  replied to  Gsquared @14.1    9 months ago

They understand, they just don't care when it comes to the former 'president'

Tessylo
Professor Principal
14.1.23  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @14.1.6    9 months ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
14.1.24  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @14.1.15    9 months ago

You mean like the republicons stacked the court with the hypocritical lying scum?

devangelical
Professor Principal
14.1.25  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @14.1.23    9 months ago

sears catalog...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
14.1.26  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @14.1.25    9 months ago

It's only fair, if given the opportunity, to increase the amount of Democrat Supreme Court justices.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
14.1.27  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @14.1.12    9 months ago

So true, one of them, Ginny, I mean, Clarence, is bought and paid for by the alleged conservatives.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
14.1.28  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @14.1.27    9 months ago

Yawn ….jrSmiley_117_smiley_image.png

devangelical
Professor Principal
14.1.29  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @14.1.21    9 months ago

he does...

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
15  Mark in Wyoming     10 months ago

It looks to me like the Co SC might be trying to " salt the mine". Even they said this is "an uncharted area". Those areas usually mean over reach and result in spankings from the higher court.

Problem I see is they used some things that have not come to pass yet,except in the court of public opinion.

That little overstep of declaring himwho shall not benamed guilty of insurrection, without charges or conviction in the jurisdiction(actual court)  it occurred could likely be grounds for overturning the CSC.

It also makes me muse on why such charges have not been brought in the correct jurisdictional court , after all they have had all of almost 3years to make them.

Also this is a Federal crime covered by USC, and if the Co court gets spanked because of a failure of no  charges or conviction in court of jurisdiction and a violation of due process, someone should be asking the DOJ exactly what they HAVE been doing all this time other than chasing shadows and snipes.

Sidenote* learned something today, last time the Dem party tried keeping a candidate off the ballot for president was the election of 1860...and he still won....history does tend to repeat.

devangelical
Professor Principal
15.1  devangelical  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15    10 months ago
history does tend to repeat

it sure does. hopefully you don't live down wind of any large open pit coal mines up there.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
15.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @15.1    9 months ago

Tessylo
Professor Principal
15.2  Tessylo  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15    9 months ago

[deleted]

MrFrost
Professor Guide
15.3  MrFrost  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15    9 months ago
It looks to me like the Co SC might be trying to " salt the mine". Even they said this is "an uncharted area". Those areas usually mean over reach and result in spankings from the higher court.

At least that's what you are HOPING for. 

That little overstep of declaring himwho shall not benamed guilty of insurrection, without charges or conviction in the jurisdiction(actual court)  it occurred could likely be grounds for overturning the CSC.

Again, the constitution doesn't say he has to be found guilty or even charged. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
15.3.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  MrFrost @15.3    9 months ago

Considering I wrote that a week ago things do change a little on research and thought.

Just so there is no misunderstanding I will plainly tell you what I hope and desire.

That the application of sec 3 is followed to the letter, allowing for all due process of law and understanding of same and the constitution be met with no question of doubt.

Now if a ruling is made by SCOTUS, for or against in whole or in part, I will accept the highest courts desicion with no arguments.

Now let's delve into what you said last

"The constitution doesn't say he has to be found guilty or even charged"

I will take it, by constitution you actually mean section 3 of the 14th, do correct me if I am wrong.

Taking it that way, no one needs to be charged with the named offense, insurrection, nor do they have to have a trial to establish innocence or guilt  that is the textbook definition of what a bill of attainder is, Art 1 sec 9 of COTUS  covers that, to save some time, that forbids bills of attainders.

So there is a conflict within the const, general understanding is one part of the constitution can NOT be in conflict with any other part, if that happens then the offending part is null and void and UN applicable.do you think those that wrote sec 3 did not know that?

I would venture to say they did know and their solution even though it's not mentioned in the section, that other sections of the constitution and it's protections would remove any conflicts and violation s found, I dare say they counted on due process and all it entails would always take place and be upheld without having to say or put it in writing within the section itself.

Now my opinion as of today, IF SCOTUS agrees to take it, I think they will agree sec 3 does apply to POTUS, but for a different reason others do, POTUS has a dual function, commander in chief of the armed forces, sec 3 mentions military positions.

I think they will also broach all that I said above which will answer if sec 3 is self activating, if a trial and verdict is needed, even what level of trial with what burden of proof is needed in order for sec 3 to be able to be used. And will send it back to Colorado and let them do as they may, to make it acceptable along the lines they require to say it falls within the constitution and it's protections.

I have said this in the past, I have never voted for Trump, and nothing that has happened to change my mind to make me vote for him.

My personal opinion of the man is he resides about 12 shit levels lower than a crazy shit house rat.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.3.2  TᵢG  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15.3.1    9 months ago
bill of attainder

Your argument on bills of attainder would be without question if Trump was being found guilty of a crime.   I think it is reasonable that a court would view this as deciding on a rule of eligibility and not on criminality.

Thus, I believe the Colorado supreme court (et. al.) could determine that Trump is ineligible by finding that his actions do satisfy the conditions of §3 of the 14th.   I do not believe there is any requirement that they find Trump legally guilty of insurrection or any crime.   They could find that the spirit of this section is to prohibit anyone who has taken an oath of office and violated that oath (in a highly significant manner) to no longer be eligible for office.   That, by this, would make Trump ineligible.

The principle is that those who have broken their oaths (significantly) should not be given a second chance to do so again.

While it is best for the SCotUS to rule on this given the importance of the matter, I think the Colorado supreme court was well within its right to issue this ruling for the state of Colorado.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
15.3.3  Gsquared  replied to  TᵢG @15.3.2    9 months ago

There are reasonable arguments on both sides, although there may be greater virtue in your position.  That doesn't mean SCOTUS will agree.

Regardless, there is one thing we can all agree on:

he resides about 12 shit levels lower than a crazy shit house rat

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.3.4  TᵢG  replied to  Gsquared @15.3.3    9 months ago

I think we have a real mess unless the SCotUS makes a definitive ruling on Trump's eligibility.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
15.3.5  Gsquared  replied to  TᵢG @15.3.4    9 months ago

If SCOTUS rules that the states should decide that may not exactly resolve the mess. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
15.3.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Gsquared @15.3.3    9 months ago

Liked that?

Hope you weren't drinking anything when you read it, could have been messy

Gsquared
Professor Principal
15.3.7  Gsquared  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15.3.6    9 months ago

Liked it and agree 1000%.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
15.3.8  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  TᵢG @15.3.2    9 months ago

Might be just me but I don't think they can really address the eligibility issue without dealing with the criminal issue, they really can't be seperated because one does bring on the other ,especially in sec 3 To me in order for a disqualification of eligibility, the trigger issue must first be adjudicated using the required due process that is both correct and nessisary dealing with trigger issue.

Won't say I am 100% sure, I have after all come to expect the unexpected from the sitting SCOTUS, but I don't think it is far fetched to think they will say that the insurrection part(criminality) would have to be addressed in a suitable manner, they may or may not say what that is, before the eligibility part (disqualification from holding office) is put into effect and applied.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
15.3.9  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  TᵢG @15.3.4    9 months ago

Well unless something he is being tried in court for already has a disqualification clause or penalty once convicted, not much they can rule on without any conviction.

Until then he would legally remain eligible.

I tend to say conviction in the court of public opinion doesn't count, I never said it doesn't have an effect.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.3.10  TᵢG  replied to  Gsquared @15.3.5    9 months ago

I agree, the shit will hit the fan.   But the course is at least set.   Trump will earn electoral votes in the states he legitimately wins.   

Definitive, but ugly.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.3.11  TᵢG  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15.3.8    9 months ago
I tend to say conviction in the court of public opinion doesn't count, I never said it doesn't have an effect.

The court of public opinion certainly does not count, but the determination of eligibility by the Colorado supreme court should count for Colorado unless overruled by the SCotUS.

I do not see where Trump must be found guilty of a crime in order to be deemed to have "engaged in insurrection" (per the 14th).   The language does not suggest that a finding of legal guilt for a particular crime is required.   If a court finds, based on the evidence and arguments, that Trump "engaged in insurrection" as used in §3, that would be a ruling on eligibility without ruling on criminality.

Ultimately the SCotUS will need to decide what “insurrection” means in this constitutional context and if Trump engaged in it sufficient to trigger the disqualification.   I have yet to find a persuasive argument that Trump must first be found legally guilty of a specific crime before they can rule that he "engaged in insurrection" and then, given that is satisfied, rule that he is ineligible per §3.

A conviction of an insurrection crime would be cleaner, no question, but is it necessary?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
15.3.12  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  TᵢG @15.3.11    9 months ago

"The determination of eligibility by Colorado supreme court should count for Colorado "

Based on that statement I would have no problem agreeing( you just know there is a biiiig but) If they had used solely the Colorado Constitution, and laws, if they had done that, the only role SCOTUS would have had would have been one of judicial review to make sure the ruling fit what state laws and it's constitution allow with any appeal.

By using sec 3 of the 14th of COTUS, they expanded the judicial review into interpreting the sec and making a ruling on if it was used as intended the way the federal government would have had to use it.thus effecting the eligibility question not just for a single state but all states.

I find it rather hard to believe that those who wrote sec 3, ever dreamed it would be used as a means to determine eligibility, let alone the application of guaranteed by other sections due process would be disregarded and ignored because they didn't say it had to.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
15.3.13  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  TᵢG @15.3.11    9 months ago

I agree100% it would be much cleaner and clearer.

Nessisary?

Yes it is not only nessisary but required by what the US Legal system is founded on.

Due process,innocent until found guilty,no person is above the law but no person shall be denied the benefit of the law and it's protections.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.3.14  TᵢG  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15.3.12    9 months ago
By using sec 3 of the 14th of COTUS, they expanded the judicial review into interpreting the sec and making a ruling on if it was used as intended the way the federal government would have had to use it.thus effecting the eligibility question not just for a single state but all states.

They interpreted the CotUS and applied it strictly to their own state.   I see no problem with a state interpreting the CotUS (e.g. applying the 1st amendment, an an example, in cases of free speech) within their state.   Their jurisdiction does not extend beyond their state and their ruling can be overruled by the SCotUS.

I find it rather hard to believe that those who wrote sec 3, ever dreamed it would be used as a means to determine eligibility, ...

Why?   That is precisely what §3 is talking about: disqualification for office.   Lack of eligibility.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
15.3.15  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  TᵢG @15.3.11    9 months ago

As for defining insurrection , they will likely use a dictionary, not that hard. And the definition likely had not changed from the 1860s to now

As for how the us handles it ? Title 18 US Code 2383.

Took me longer to type it than it did to find it.

No I have not read it, I might though.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.3.16  TᵢG  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15.3.13    9 months ago
Due process,innocent until found guilty,no person is above the law but no person shall be denied the benefit of the law and it's protections.

When a court determines that Trump engaged in insurrection in this case, that is not finding him guilty of a crime.   It is finding that Trump satisfied that condition of §3 of the 14th.   He will not be fined or sent to jail, there will be no criminal record.   There is no stated law that he broke.   There is no violation of due process; there is no finding of guilt for a crime.

The consequence is that he does not have the right to hold office.  Ineligibility, not criminality.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.3.17  TᵢG  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15.3.15    9 months ago
As for how the us handles it ? Title 18 US Code 2383.

18 U.S. Code § 2383 does not, as you know, define insurrection.   It defines the consequences.   For this to be executed, Trump would need to be charged as breaking this law and found guilty of same.  

None of the courts have charged him with a crime.   The SCotUS too (if they take the case) need not charge Trump with a crime.   The Colorado ruling does not trigger 18 U.S. Code § 2383 consequences.   

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
15.3.18  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  TᵢG @15.3.16    9 months ago

IMHO, I don't think that's going to slide or fly with SCOTUS, even solely on judicial review.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.3.19  TᵢG  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15.3.18    9 months ago
IMHO, I don't think that's going to slide or fly with SCOTUS, even solely on judicial review.

Well I certainly hope they get to hear this case soon because they alone can yield clarity.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
15.3.20  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  TᵢG @15.3.14    9 months ago

Should have quoted me fully there last part about using it to determine eligibility( which you seem to agree with that use) the whole quote included the use of due process and applications of other protections being disregarded and ignored

THAT is what I find hard to believe, that they would ever see it used as you wish or think , but it would be used with disregard to due process and other protections .

I don't play the game of partial quotes I won't do it to others and I do not appreciate it being done to me.

I think the intelligent conversation and learning debate is over for the evening.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.3.21  TᵢG  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @15.3.20    9 months ago
the whole quote included the use of due process and applications of other protections being disregarded and ignored

I have covered that several times.  Trump is not charged with a crime nor does he face criminal consequences.   Criminal due process comes into play if Trump is being tried for a crime.   These cases are determining eligibility and we are watching due process for eligibility take place.   A lower court ruled and now the Colorado supreme court ruled.   Next is the SCotUS and that is the due process mechanism working as designed.

I don't play the game of partial quotes I won't do it to others and I do not appreciate it being done to me.

I had no intent whatsoever of being misleading.   I did not quote your entire sentence because I was focusing on the part that I quoted.   That did not change your meaning in any way.

Look, here is your sentence fully quoted:

Mark @15.3.12☞ I find it rather hard to believe that those who wrote sec 3, ever dreamed it would be used as a means to determine eligibility, let alone the application of guaranteed by other sections due process would be disregarded and ignored because they didn't say it had to.

My comment is exactly the same:   "Why?   That is precisely what §3 is talking about: disqualification for office.   Lack of eligibility."

The balance of your sentence does not answer my question nor does it qualify the question of eligibility.   And, as I noted, I have several times now directly dealt with the notion of due process (the red part of your sentence) and did not desire to yet again address the red part.

devangelical
Professor Principal
15.3.22  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @15.3.21    9 months ago

LOL

devangelical
Professor Principal
15.3.23  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @15.3.22    9 months ago

I had no idea that tap dancing was so popular in wyoming...