╌>

Beer drinking in America falls to the lowest level in a generation

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 months ago  •  17 comments

By:    Rob Wile

Beer drinking in America falls to the lowest level in a generation
The past year saw the lowest level of beer consumed in the U.S. in a generation, according to industry group Beer Marketer's Insights

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

It wasn't just Bud Light.

The past year saw the lowest level of beer consumed in the U.S. in a generation, according to industry group Beer Marketer's Insights, as consumers shifted away from traditional favorites to other forms of alcohol — and in a growing number of cases, avoiding alcoholic beverages altogether.

"It was a tough year for beer," said David Steinman, BMI vice president and executive editor.

For the first time since 1999, he said, beer shipments were on track to fall below 200 million barrels.

Leading the decline, Steinman said, was Anheuser Busch. But while the Bud Light-maker caught headlines over a sponsorship agreement with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney that subsequently led to a boycott among some longtime drinkers, the protest does not explain why overall consumption still managed to fall, Steinman said.

Instead, Anheuser Busch was at the forefront of an acceleration in the long-term decline of so-called domestic-premium brands, which include Bud Light and rivals Miller Light and Coors Light, Steinman said. Anheuser Busch, owned by global conglomerate AB InBev, also suffered from a decline in hard seltzers — a category in which it has long dominated.

The beer industry also now finds itself competing against a surge of new alcohol products, many from non-traditional producers, said Lester Jones, vice president, analytics and chief economist at the National Beer Wholesalers Association.

"For example, some of the world's largest soft drink and energy companies introduced sugar-forward alcohol beverages to the market, all of which are vying for the same consumer occasions as traditional malt- and hop-forward products," he said in an email.

Yet even as overall volume consumption declined, the largest beer makers remain financially resilient thanks to prices that climbed alongside — or even surpassed — broader inflation, Steinman said. Beer drinkers also continued to shift toward more expensive beer brands, especially imports like Modelo Especial, which became the No. 1 beer in America in 2023.

And beer sales in other parts of the world continue to remain strong, Steinman said.

"With prices going up, dollar sales have continued to grow and profits have been rising," he said.

Still, significant headwinds remain. The craft-beer boom of the 2010s has petered out, and there are now so many varieties of alcoholic beverages available that the consumer may now be overwhelmed.

"The U.S. beer industry had a wild ride in 2023 against the backdrop of an expanding economy that created more jobs and wage gains for many people, as well as an oversupplied alcohol marketplace that saw a rapid influx of new products," Jones said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    4 months ago

Notwithstanding the bad news for beer, there is nothing in the world more refreshing than an Ice-cold one right after coming off the 18th green on a hot sunny day.  Although the word "wine" is not mentioned in the article, I'd be interested to know if the general taste is shifting to a more cultured beverage.  I wonder if the sales of wines have increased.  

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    4 months ago

My kids are all drinking seltzer drinks more than beer now.  I drink pbr at home but, when I go out, I like a nice IPA.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2  devangelical    4 months ago

I don't like the after effects of alcohol and can count the number of beers I've had this century on one hand. I couldn't care less about the beer industry.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @2    4 months ago

Yeah, I'm not a beer drinker myself, never really was.  It seems like I have to pee 10 times per every 12 ounces of beer.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @2    4 months ago

Plus most alcohol in general doesn't agree with me so much anymore.  I get all flushed and sweaty, and that's no fun.  The only things that tend to agree with me now are things like Frangelica or Chambord - love those and most liqueurs I enjoy on occasion.  I love Martini and Rossi Asti Spumante - good stuff!

But beer, no thanks!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @2.2    4 months ago

I never drank alcoholic beverages much anyway, and the last beer I had was a bottle shared with a friend at a KFC about 5 years ago, and I actually had a small glass of wine at lunch a few months ago but not for many years previously, and that small glass of wine had quite an effect.  For at least 5 years, not another drop of anything alcoholic, and I don't miss it. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    4 months ago

I am doing my part to keep numbers up. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1  Snuffy  replied to  charger 383 @3    4 months ago

I try, but just cannot drink a lot of beer anymore. Most of the mass-produced brews have little taste and the craft beers have been so overdone that it's hard to find a consistently good taste.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @3.1    4 months ago

s-l960.jpg

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @3.1    4 months ago

22_Yueng_LightLager_12ozNRDraft_Rev-472x800.jpg

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.3  Snuffy  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.2    4 months ago

Never cared for Blue Moon and Yuengling tastes just like Bud to me which for me is very little flavor.  The lightest beer I prefer is Fat Tire.

GregTx
PhD Guide
4  GregTx    4 months ago

My resolution this year is to do my best to bring those numbers back up....

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5  Freefaller    4 months ago

Yeah I'm slipping in my drinking, just got back from 3 months in Fl where I didn't have even 1 beer the entire time

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    4 months ago

Well, I am back from running Model Trains for local First Night Event, so it is time to Get the beer numbers up.  Happy New Year! 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7  Gordy327    4 months ago

Microbreweries make excellent beers, much better than the mainstream beers. But if beer drinking is going down, is there a correlation between that and any increase in the consumption of wine or spirits?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @7    4 months ago

I know from our small sampling of parties (albeit we throw large parties) that more people are drinking spiked water and spirits (e.g. Bourbon).    So IMO beer drinking does seem to be slowing a bit.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2  Krishna  replied to  Gordy327 @7    4 months ago
Microbreweries make excellent beers, much better than the mainstream beers. But if beer drinking is going down, is there a correlation between that and any increase in the consumption of wine or spirits?

I don't know the answer to that question. But there are trends-- many that occasionally change.

So my guess would be that there are a lot of people who enjoy alcoholic beverages who if they stop drinking beer will still continue to drink alcohol-- but just change their drink of choice.