╌>

Some Gen Z job seekers are bringing mom and dad to interviews, and it's turning off employers, new survey finds

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  9 months ago  •  40 comments

By:   Sawdah Bhaimiya

Some Gen Z job seekers are bringing mom and dad to interviews, and it's turning off employers, new survey finds
Some employers say young professionals are entitled and get offended too easily.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Some employers said they'd be willing to offer older professionals more benefits and higher salaries to avoid hiring new college graduates, a recent survey found.

Thirty-nine percent of the employers who responded said they prefer to hire older job seekers over recent college graduates, in part because young professionals don't make a good first impression in job interviews.

More than half of the employers said young recruits struggled to make eye contact during the interview, and 50% said they asked for unreasonable compensation. Almost half of the employers said a young job candidate showed up in inappropriate attire, and nearly 20% said a recent college grad had brought a parent to a job interview.

PWC, Deloitte, and KPMG are among the major firms that have said   Gen Z recruits   who graduated during the pandemic struggle to exercise basic communication skills and office etiquette. 

As a result,   these companies have offered extra classes   on soft skills such as how to send emails, what to wear to the office, and how to work in a team.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    9 months ago

More than half of the employers said young recruits struggled to make eye contact during the interview, and 50% said they asked for unreasonable compensation.

Almost half of the employers said a young job candidate showed up in inappropriate attire, and nearly 20% said a recent college grad had brought a parent to a job interview.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1    9 months ago

One doesn't hire a child to do an adult's job.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Krishna @1    9 months ago

This is what happens when you emasculate the male population.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    9 months ago

Of the employers who said they prefer to hire older job seekers, 60% said they would be willing to offer more benefits to attract them, 59% said they would offer higher salaries, 48% said they would allow remote or hybrid-working opportunities, and 46% said they would be willing to hire overqualified candidates.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2    9 months ago

How about a person who is almost 87 years old and has the skills of at least two different professions.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    9 months ago
How about a person who is almost 87 years old and has the skills of at least two different professions.

Depends.

Would they know how to dress appropriately for a job interview? Do they know how to work well with others? Do they have good communication skills? 

Do they feel entitled?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    9 months ago

Gotta say, attendance is a concern lol.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.2    9 months ago

I think I'd prefer remote work, considering the aged demands of my digestive system.  Up until the Covid happened I was doing private English lessons.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.4  MonsterMash  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    9 months ago
How about a person who is almost 87 years old and has the skills of at least two different professions
Nope, I wouldn't hire an 87-year-old lawyer they would have a hard time reading the fine print in contracts.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MonsterMash @2.1.4    9 months ago

LOL.  Before I left the practice of law such agreements were emailed back and forth between offices, and as you already know, the font can be enlarged.  You have already noted that I always enlarge the font on comments or articles I post, and I do appreciate it if other members replying to me would enlarge their font to 14 pt as well, but no matter, because if I want, I can always copy and paste onto a word document and enlarge it there, and besides, I do have a great magnifying glass.  One of these days I'll actually get myself a stronger pair of glasses which should do the trick. 

I appreciate that your comment was aimed at eyesight rather than ability to comprehend. 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.6  MonsterMash  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.5    9 months ago

I don't question your ability to comprehend, you did comprehend my comment as a joke (as intended) instead of an insult. Kudos to you.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    9 months ago

Young professionals also appear to have a reputation for being difficult to work with.

Nearly two-thirds of employers said it was "very true" or "somewhat true" that recent college grads are "entitled," while 58% said it was very or somewhat true that they "get offended too easily."

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3    9 months ago

They ARE entitled, or they consider themselves to BE entitled?

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    9 months ago

My guess is that the author of this article is a gen Z!

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1.1    9 months ago
My guess is that the author of this article is a gen Z!

Actually I noticed the same thing, and it really annoyed me. In fact when I seeded this I was going to change "are entitled" to "feel they are entitled". What a stupid error--its obvious the author meant to say that they feel they are entitled.

But I didn't change it as it was a quote and I wanted to quote it exactly. (I was wondering how many people here would notice that error-- and of those, how many would mention it).

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1.2    9 months ago
But I didn't change it as it was a quote and I wanted to quote it exactly. (I was wondering how many people here would notice that error-- and of those, how many would mention it).

Kudos to you for noticing it.

I just realized-- I bet you'd make a good lawyer. (Noticing details, seeing inconsistencies, etc).

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1.3    9 months ago
I just realized-- I bet you'd make a good lawyer.

jrSmiley_24_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1.4    9 months ago
I bet you'd make a good lawyer.

P.S: I don't know if I ever mentioned this, but in High School we all had vocational counseling. And took a vocational aptitude test. One of the categories i scored highest in was lawyer.

I'd probably make an excellent lawyer if i wanted to, but I don't think I'd really like it-- I'd be too picky, only want to take cases that really interested me. 

For a while I dated a truly brilliant lawyer. But the realtionship didn't last-- we were very compatible intellectually,but there was no real chemistry. 

She ended up marrying an astronaut and moving to North Dakota.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.1.2    9 months ago

Having taught English, I wouldn't hire the author.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.1.3    9 months ago
"I bet you'd make a good lawyer."

How do you make one? 

Reminds me of a racist joke.  A white man is peeing in a washroom urinal, and a black guy rushes in and uses the one next to the white guy, and says "Whew, I just made it." and the white guy says "Wow, could you make one like that for me?"

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.1.5    9 months ago

I once took an aptitude test, a little later in life.  It indicated I was best suited for being a farmer.  

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.9  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.7    9 months ago

Are we sharing racist penis joke now? If so then, why was there not an Asian guy in that joke? I ask this because the obvious and far far funnier punch line would have been in the Asian guy's pants!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @3.1.9    9 months ago

"Who sent you?" (the hippie to Dennis Hopper in Easy Rider)

Your concept of what's funny is different from mine.  My joke was a compliment, yours was an insult.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.11  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.8    9 months ago

I once took an aptitude test, a little later in life.  It indicated I was best suited for being a farmer.  

I once took an aptitude test where my highest score was in the ability to score high on tests!  

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    9 months ago

This news is not new. Written evidence found in archeological excavations from around the world throughout time evidence angry old people making the exact same complaints of their own youths as to their attitudes, behavior, style of hair and dress, preferred music, work ethics etc etc etc. This was always true every step along the way according to historians...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @4    9 months ago

I guess I'm not an "angry old person" because I've always been very proud of my daughter and son who are both highly educated, very accomplished, and are enjoying successful important careers.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    9 months ago

Aren't your "kids" in their fifities and sixties by now?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @4.1.1    9 months ago

What difference does that make?  I said I've ALWAYS been very proud of them, and I mean all the way from being children to the present time.  I didn't marry until I was almost 36 - they're in their 40s, and they'll ALWAYS be "my kids".

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.3  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    9 months ago

Exactly!

Other than your need to object and to make it about you personally your comment really has nothing to do with the article or what I wrote. Based on cuneiform tablets from Babylon and Egyptian hieroglyphics and the graffiti found at Pompeii old people been complaining about the young people (usually other people's kids) since time immemorial...

I too was always proud of my Father. He was a farmer and a rancher first and foremost, but he was also a US Airforce officer and then a US Federal Agent and a University Administrator. He finally retired as a banker and financial adviser. That was a lot to live up to, for me...

Most of all Papa was a good father and a faithful husband who spoiled our Mother and who kept our family together. All of his children and his grandchildren have graduated from universities. We surely did not always make him "proud" of us, but overall yeah, he was quite satisfied...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @4.1.3    9 months ago
"This was always true every step along the way according to historians..."

Your statement brought your "history" right up to the present, which I addressed NOT as an objection.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  JBB @4    9 months ago
This news is not new. Written evidence found in archeological excavations from around the world throughout time evidence angry old people making the exact same complaints of their own youths as to their attitudes, behavior, style of hair and dress, preferred music, work ethics etc etc etc. This was always true every step along the way according to historians...

I remember complaining to my parents that they were stodgy, boring, and old-fashioned. Not accepting of new ideas. They both told me that they said the same thing to their parents when they were young!

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.2    9 months ago
I remember complaining to my parents that they were stodgy, boring, and old-fashioned. Not accepting of new ideas. They both told me that they said the same thing to their parents when they were young!

That being said, the attitudes of Gen Z are in my experience really significantly different than people even just a few years older.

(And IMO this radical shift can be attributed mainly to the rapid rise in technology-- and particularly the rise of cellphones-- and social media! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.2    9 months ago

Now you might be criticized for making the matter personal and more current.   LOL

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.2.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Krishna @4.2    9 months ago

You can find similar quotes going back to ancient Greece. My wife and I are already saying the same shit. 

I guess some things never change lol. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.2.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Krishna @4.2.1    9 months ago

I will agree with that. I just started a new job and going into the interview I said I am used to working however long the job takes, I am used to having to respond at all hours, and I am used to getting dirty and working in the heat or cold. Basically, you all are offering to pay me a lot more to do what I am already doing. 

But talking to some the guys here, they have seen exactly this. Kids, 18-22 coming in with absurd expectations, and just coming off as waaay too sensitive for our line of work. On my 5th day a guy got fired for calling out 5 times and being late like 6 times in 2 months. He called some of the guys asking why he got fired and wondering what he did wrong. They were all like "dude, you fucked up". 

We have multiple open postions and the attitude is "look for people 30 and older, we don't even want to deal with those in their 20s.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    9 months ago

Can’t imagine that I would have even considered asking mom or dad go to a job interview with me.    

I guess the more things change, they really do change a lot sometimes.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
5.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Sparty On @5    9 months ago
Can’t imagine that I would have even considered asking mom or dad go to a job interview with me.

I can imagine what my mom or dad would say if I asked them to go with me.  It would start with "What the hell is wrong with you" and go on from there.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Right Down the Center @5.1    9 months ago

Mom would you go on my job interview with me.....What the hell is wrong with you Kavika!! You're talking like a chimook. Wap, up beside the head.

And dad sitting in the background saying ''that boy could fuck up a one-car funeral''.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sparty On @5    9 months ago

Never had a parent do anything more than help me dress for an interview (I have zero fashion sense). Everything else was all me every single time. If a parent is involved more than that or just dropping off, that is a hard no from me.