╌>

Frigid Beauty

Category:  Travel, Geography and Foreign Cultures

By:  evilone  •  3 months ago  •  16 comments

Frigid Beauty

The Lee A Tragurtha steaming into Duluth Harbor for it's winter layup. Video provided by the Duluth Harbor Cams. Duluth MN. 

Red Box Rules

Off topic comments subject to deletion without warning.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

evilone
Professor Guide
1  author  evilone    3 months ago

Living here I sometimes forget how beautiful it is. We've gone from unseasonably warm to dangerously frigid wind chills almost overnight. Even that provides us some beauty. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  evilone @1    3 months ago

Grew up about a mile from Lake Ontario.  Very familiar with the beauty of lake effect snow.  And instead of hunkering down in the house we would get on our snowmobiles and help bring groceries to the elderly that could not get out.  Seeing the ice on the lake in huge slabs like frozen waves is a site I will never forget.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  evilone @1    3 months ago

I like watching those types of cam channels on youtube. it blows my mind how those pilots haul ass down the channels, especially those glorified barges. I can't remember if I ever knew the great lakes ports froze shut until now. brrrr, nah.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.1  author  evilone  replied to  devangelical @1.2    3 months ago
I can't remember if I ever knew the great lakes ports froze shut until now. brrrr, nah.

I finished my Coast Guard career on the ice breaker in Duluth. Brrrr is right! We even went up as far as Thunder Bay in Canada.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  evilone @1.2.1    3 months ago

extreme cold, extreme humidity, no thanks. my spine already sounds like a sock full of rocks when I stand up. hopefully you weren't part of the crew that had to beat the ice off that boat in the winter.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.3  author  evilone  replied to  devangelical @1.2.2    3 months ago
...hopefully you weren't part of the crew that had to beat the ice off that boat in the winter.

Nope. I had an office job inside the boat.

shona1
PhD Quiet
1.2.4  shona1  replied to  devangelical @1.2.2    3 months ago

Morning devangy...beat the ice off the ship??

Nahh we don't have to do that down here living on our rock..😁 not an icicle in sight..

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 months ago

I sure remember those days and in their own way they are beautiful. 

Still way to cold for this old Indian.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    3 months ago

Popular spot to be on a warm summer's day. The James R. Barker's salutes must be ear-splitting close up. 

(1) James R Barker and her Mighty #BarkerBark - YouTube

shona1
PhD Quiet
3.1  shona1  replied to  Greg Jones @3    3 months ago

Morning Greg..

Love hearing the ship's horns when they leave the harbour here.. especially at night and it's a little bit misty...

They usually give three blasts and I assume it must mean something but have not been able to find out what...

If there are other ship's in the harbour they reply with three blasts...

Someone did say it had to do with Greek mythology but not sure...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  shona1 @3.1    3 months ago

I think it's some sort of maritime tradition. The ship salutes the harbor master or, in this case, the lift bridge operator who returns the salute

shona1
PhD Quiet
3.1.2  shona1  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    3 months ago

Morning Greg...yes could be that..I know one blast here means the ship is leaving get out of the way when they are moving from the pier... that's mainly for the small fishing boats etc and some are still stupid enough to get in the way...

The three blasts seems very specific and the way the other ship's etc answer back...if there are no other ship's in the harbour, the tugs answer instead...maybe it's an Aussie thing..

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    3 months ago

I was born, grew up and spent most of my life close to Lake Ontario, spent my childhood summers at my grandmother's cottage on Burlington Beach, the thin beach strip that divides the western tip of Lake Ontario from Burlington (Hamilton) Bay, swimming in Lake Ontario and fishing on the pier of the canal that allowed the big iron ore ships sail to the Steel Company of Canada.  And, of course, Toronto is located on the north shore of Lake Ontario.  

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.1  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    3 months ago

Sounds rather a nice part of the world to grow up in...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @4.1    3 months ago

Some people want to be on or near mountains, some want to be in or near desert, but I always wanted to be near large bodies of water.

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.1.2  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.1    3 months ago

Same here..for me it is the sea everytime..