╌>

They still march

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  4 months ago  •  9 comments

They still march
Now, I happen to be, for the exceptions, like Ronald Reagan with the life of the mother, rape, incest, I just have to be there. I feel, I think probably 78%, I saw a poll, about 78% it was Ronald Reagan, he was for it. I was for it. But I will say this, you have to win elections, otherwise you’re going to be back where you were and you can’t let that ever happen

Link to quote: Iowa Town Hall with Donald Trump 1/10/24 Transcript | Rev Blog

Since 1974 they have marched, always around the anniversary of the Roe v Wade decision. In 1973 it began as a rally of only 30 people to protest the legalization of abortion by the Supreme Court. So, it was yesterday despite the snow and freezing temperatures, which was basically a blizzard in Washington DC. House Speaker Mike Johnson gave a passionate speech before the march began. There were also religious leaders and other prominent members of the pro-life movement on hand as the march began.

Since the court returned abortion lawmaking to the states in Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization , each state has charted their own course on abortion. It seems as though the dedicated lovers of life may have won the battle but are slowly losing the war. They are still committed to the cause, and they still have a solid base of support throughout the country, along with the support of prominent Republicans like Mike Johnson, but they have lost the leader of the Republican Party. Donald Trump has been gradually moving away from the more traditional position Republicans once held on the issue. I guess we can blame it on Republicans who failed to get a coherent & consistent message out. They let democrats and the media define their position and they supposedly suffered for it.

At an Iowa Town Hall a woman named Rebecca was given the chance to ask Donald Trump a question.

She took the microphone and said the following:

Rebecca: "So, between you sir, President Trump and Ron DeSantis, because you both talk a lot about pro-life, your record, and that’s my number one issue and the cry of my heart is justice for all people, and I’ve been vocal and celebrating with you all of your pro-life victories from the past. But then in this campaign you’ve also blamed pro- lifers for some of the GOP losses around the country, and you’ve called heartbeat laws like Iowa’s, terrible, and so I’d just like some clarity on this because it’s such an important question to me.

I’d like for you to reassure me that you can protect all life, every person’s right to life without compromise.

Donald Trump: "So, that’s a great question. I appreciate it too. You wouldn’t be asking that question even talking about the issue because for 54 years they were trying to get Roe. V. Wade terminated and I did it and I’m proud to have done it. They wanted to get it back, right? You wouldn’t have that because there would be no question. Nobody else was going to get that done.

And we did it and we did something that was a miracle. When I walked onto the stage today, a gentleman in the back, probably works for Fox, nice guy said, “Sir, I’d like to thank you.” I said, “For what?” He said, “You saved 2 million lives in the last three years. You saved 2 million lives.” And I said, “Thank you very much.” I knew exactly what he meant. 2 million lives, and nobody’s done more in that regard than me. Now, I happen to be, for the exceptions, like Ronald Reagan with the life of the mother, rape, incest, I just have to be there. I feel, I think probably 78%, I saw a poll, about 78% it was Ronald Reagan, he was for it. I was for it. But I will say this, you have to win elections, otherwise you’re going to be back where you were, and you can’t let that ever happen."

Iowa Town Hall with Donald Trump 1/10/24 Transcript | Rev Blog

So, as I watched films of the march yesterday, I realized that they were on their own now.

I wish them the best. It is a very noble cause.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    4 months ago

"Roe is done, but we still live in a culture that knows not how to care for life," said Benjamin Watson, a former  NFL tight end  turned pro-life activist. "Roe is done, but the factors that drive women to seek abortions are ever apparent and ever increasing. Roe is done, but abortion is still legal and thriving in too much of America."

Pro-life demonstrators brave DC snow for 2024 March for Life (msn.com)

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    4 months ago

[Deleted

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  devangelical @1.1    4 months ago

And who will be threatening their lives?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    4 months ago

after thumpers cost the GOP the house, senate, and white house in 2024, watch what happens next...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    4 months ago

As hard as the GoP and the pro-lifers would like to send America back to the Middle Ages, somehow I just don't think they're going to succeed.  Maybe they have some victories in the short term, but it ain't gonna last, cause not everyone in America is a middle-school dropout or has a sub-normal IQ.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    4 months ago

Future generations will do the judging and those you seem to regard as intelligent will be damned, I'm sure.

The point here was not a moral argument. It was that the media had cost the pro-Life movement the political support it once had.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    4 months ago

Whatever it takes. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3  Jasper2529    4 months ago

I was very impressed with how peacefully people of all ages were and was surprised to see the large representation of Gen Z and Millennials ages, both men and women.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @3    4 months ago

We don't have to worry about their moral compass. It was refreshing.