╌>

Suspect who fatally shot 2 officers, 1 first responder was not permitted to own firearm

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  8 months ago  •  83 comments

By:   Melissa Chan

Suspect who fatally shot 2 officers, 1 first responder was not permitted to own firearm
The man who fatally shot two Minnesota police officers and a first responder over the weekend was prohibited from owning a firearm and made an unsuccessful bid to overturn the lifelong state ban four years ago, court records show.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The man who fatally shot two Minnesota police officers and a first responder over the weekend was prohibited from owning a firearm and made an unsuccessful bid to overturn the lifelong state ban four years ago, court records show.

A medical examiner identified the slain shooter as Shannon Gooden, 38, a spokesperson for the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Apprehension said Monday.

He had several guns and large amounts of ammunition when he opened fire on law enforcement officers Sunday while barricaded inside a home with seven children in Burnsville, Minnesota, authorities said.

The children were between the ages of 2 and 15, according to Drew Evans, the superintendent of the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension in the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.

Evans said officers were attempting to negotiate with the suspect when he began shooting. He killed police officers Paul Elmstrand, 27, and Matthew Ruge, 27, as well as Adam Finseth, 40, a firefighter and paramedic, city officials said.

They died of their gunshot injuries within 15 minutes of each other, according to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner.

Another officer, Adam Medlicott, was shot at the scene and is expected to survive.

Gooden, of Burnsville, also died during the incident, the Department of Public Safety bureau spokesperson said. The medical examiner has not released his cause of death.

Gooden had been employed as a journeyman painter for over a decade at LaMettry's Collision in Burnsville, the business said in a statement to NBC News. It extended its condolences to the first responders and their loved ones.

"We are shocked and saddened by the news of this horror and tragedy," the statement said, adding that Elmstrand, Ruge and Finseth "risked everything and made the ultimate sacrifice."

Gooden was prohibited by state law from possessing firearms after he was convicted of second-degree assault in 2007, when he was 21. The incident in a mall parking lot involved a knife, according to Mathew K. Higbee, his attorney at the time.

In 2020, Higbee attempted to reverse what he called a "harsh" ban, arguing that there was "good cause to do so" because Gooden was "not a dangerous criminal" or a "potential risk to the community."

In his plea, Higbee said Gooden took anger management classes while incarcerated and had provided for his longtime girlfriend, her two children and his five children.

"He has done everything he can to put himself back on his feet, move forward, and live the life of a productive and law-abiding member of society," Higbee wrote.

The state statute allows a court to restore a banned person's right to possess a firearm if there is "good cause" to do so and if that person is no longer behind bars.

A judge denied the motion to lift the ban in 2020, court records show. No explanation was provided in the order.

In an interview with NBC News on Monday, Higbee said the judge had made the "right decision."

"It's comforting to see that the system worked," he said. "I would feel horrible if he did get his firearms rights restored and a month, a year, later this happened."

Higbee said that he was surprised to hear about the shooting and that he did not believe Gooden was capable of such violence in 2020, when he filed the motion.

"I — probably like everyone else, whoever came across him — would have thought this is not something that would happen," he said. "There's just no way to know."

A candlelight vigil for two police officers and a first responder who were shot and killed in Burnsville, Minn., on Sunday.Abbie Parr / AP

At the time of the filing, Higbee said people close to Gooden had vouched for his character. His client also had evidence of rehabilitation and had gone a dozen years without a felony conviction, the attorney said.

Higbee declined to say when he last spoke to Gooden. No appeal or additional motions were filed after the court's rejection, he said.

Higbee called the fatal shooting a "tragedy" for the families of the first responders, as well as for Gooden's.

"Those kids are never going to be the same," he said.

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is investigating Sunday's fatal shooting.

Authorities said there had been no prior calls for service at the home or regarding the suspected shooter.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  Vic Eldred    8 months ago

The slant of this story is on guns and gun laws.

A special thanks to the news site Alpha News and the two local Minnesota TV stations KARE11 and WCCO for identifying the shooter before the authorities would.

shannon-cortez-gooden.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=780
 (Shannon Gooden)/Getty

There is another recent shooting that is directly relevant. In Kansas City the shooters, in custody, from the victory parade about a week ago still haven't been identified. As a matter of fact, the K ansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas on Friday said Missouri Gov. Mike Parson used a dog whistle when he blamed “thugs” for the shooting at the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl victory rally. In that brazen shooting 1 person died and 22 others were injured, (many were children) but don't call the shooters thugs .

We have a much larger problem here than not being able to enforce the many gun laws we have on the books. We have a serious problem of wokeism that has not only corrupted the press but has poisoned the justice system and law enforcement.

George
Junior Expert
1.1  George  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    8 months ago
K ansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas on Friday said Missouri Gov. Mike Parson used a dog whistle when he blamed “thugs” for the shooting at the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl victory rally.

Tells me all I need to know about Quinton Lucas, He is obviously a racist is he immediately assumes the term thugs denotes color of their skin.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  George @1.1    8 months ago

Well Parson is white and has his perceptions of thugs

and Lucas is black and probably has his own perception of thugs.

I would venture that both perceptions are based on at least some life experiences of racism.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.1    8 months ago
Well Parson is white and has his perceptions of thugs

Are they thugs? 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.1.3  Gazoo  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.2    8 months ago

Anybody that will harm another person for their own benefit is a thug. Sorry race baiters, it has nothing to do with skin color.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gazoo @1.1.3    8 months ago

They are the textbook definition of thugs.  To refrain from calling them thugs would be racist and textbook white paternalism, 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.1.5  Gazoo  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.4    8 months ago

Many on the left equate the term “thug” with black people. Tell me how that’s not racist.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.6  Split Personality  replied to  Gazoo @1.1.5    8 months ago

"many" equated BLM as thugs when they rioted, most were black, that can be a fact without it being racist to third party observationalists.

"many" equated ANTIFA as thugs when they protested, rioted or burned shit and they were mostly white.

Was that racist?

"many" equated Bundy and his supporters thugs when they barricaded themselves and created a standoff with BLM and other Federal and State LEOs whom Bundy regarded as jack booted thugs.

Bundys gang was white and most of the LEOs were white is that racist?

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.1.7  Gazoo  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.6    8 months ago

Being a thug has nothing to do with skin color and everything to do with actions.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Gazoo @1.1.7    8 months ago

So you admit that your statement at 1.1.5 was in error.

Glad we could finally agree on something.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.1.9  Gazoo  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.8    8 months ago

I’ve seen race baiters on this very site accuse others of being racist for using the term “thug” when describing black criminals. I accept your apology in advance.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.10  Split Personality  replied to  Gazoo @1.1.9    8 months ago

I am, and believe I said so, in complete agreement with 1.1.7, so glad we could agree, finally.

As for what you have seen on this site as far as what you consider offensive or ugly matters not a thing to me;

in fact I would venture to say that your average behavior here would result in more than just  a few people

expressing their opinion of you as being a partisan thug.

I accept your apology in advance.

Sorry, that was the second or third best laugh of my day.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.1.11  Gazoo  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.10    8 months ago

Speaking if partisan thugs,,,,,,

i think you have me confused with someone that gives a damn about fucked up opinions.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.10    8 months ago
in fact I would venture to say that your average behavior here would result in more than just  a few people expressing their opinion of you as being a partisan thug.

How do you get away with that?

[He got away with it because he received a similar response.]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  Gazoo @1.1.5    8 months ago

I equate the term thug to many on the 'right' and to the former 'president' - one of the biggest thugs in the world!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.10    8 months ago

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.1.15  Right Down the Center  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.1    8 months ago
I would venture that both perceptions are based on at least some life experiences of racism.

They could always use the definition of thug.

thug
/THəɡ/
noun
a violent, aggressive person, especially one who is a criminal.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    8 months ago
We have a serious problem of wokeism that has not only corrupted the press but has poisoned the justice system and law enforcement.

Wokeism doesn't shoot cops and firemen with firearms they weren't supposed to have.

Why can't you just stick to the topic?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @1.2    8 months ago
Why can't you just stick to the topic?

I am discussing a few aspects of the topic, as you can also see in post 4.1.

Some still don't understand who determines topic.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    8 months ago

I apologize for the dig and the lack of the /s on my question.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.2    8 months ago

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    8 months ago

On the other hand, can I ask when you changed your name to Perrie Halpern?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.4    8 months ago

You better hope nobody does.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.6  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.5    8 months ago

I understand that this is PH's article, not yours

and you don't get to change the topic just because you got the first comment in.

I do hope we are clear on that.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.6    8 months ago
I understand that this is PH's article, not yours

Ummmm, it is auto generated and uses her name. So I am told. She rarely seeds much at all. Thought you as a mod would know that.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.6    8 months ago

First it is on topic. It relates to the very crimes in the article.

Second: Topic is determined by the seeder/author, not you or your friends.

Since you decided to be such a big shot, you can tell Perrie that I'm taking the issue to Metafield.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.2.9  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.7    8 months ago

It is not auto-generated and I don't know who told you that, because it wasn't me.I do the morning story every day and I try for the most part not to have the article to do with anything dealing with US politics, and I would like them to stay that way.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
1.2.10  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.8    8 months ago

The topic is not wokism. The topic is the shooting.

And this better not end up in Metafied. I should be able to run the morning article without having to deal with politics and the likes.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.11  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.10    8 months ago

?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.12  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.9    8 months ago

I believe it was Buzz that told me that. I may be wrong. And you seed articles at 3:00 AM (today's contribution) That is dedication.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.13  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.11    8 months ago

!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.10    8 months ago

I thought it was your seed.

I can be right every now and then

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.15  Split Personality  replied to  devangelical @1.2.13    8 months ago

SMH !

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.16  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.15    8 months ago

LOL...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.17  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.6    8 months ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.18  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.11    8 months ago

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    8 months ago

I'm shocked, shocked I say, that the authorities didn't immediately identify the shooter as black and thus make you happy.

How dare they?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.4  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    8 months ago

I have no problem with the rwnj dog whistle "thugs", as long as they don't have any problem with me referring to users as "klan".

George
Junior Expert
1.4.1  George  replied to  devangelical @1.4    8 months ago
"klan"

So you think they are primarily democrats using that term?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  George @1.4.1    8 months ago

George...George...George....

We've been over this time and time again. Seems to me that you [Deleted] just don't want to comprehend a subject because it goes against your personal biases

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.4.3  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.2    8 months ago

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.4.4  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.2    8 months ago

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    8 months ago

Probably should a pass law to ensure he wouldn’t possess  a gun. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    8 months ago

LOL, you'd be amazed at how little the poor widow knows about the value of maga hubby's guns after he croaks...

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @2.1    8 months ago

one widow had all the receipts for hubby's guns and insisted that she would not negotiate below the purchase price.

1 - .380 semi-auto pistol - $50

1 - 12 ga. pump shotgun - $100

1 - SKS (chinese AK47 knockoff) 7.62x39 full auto convertible with 4 banana clips and case of NATO ammo - $200

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    8 months ago

That's cheap. I paid way more than that for my .380

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.2    8 months ago

yeah, but mine is still registered to a dead guy...

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.2    8 months ago

the SKS was the deal of the decade...

George
Junior Expert
3  George    8 months ago

Question, Shouldn't his wife be arrested and going to prison? she is an accessory, as well as any on his family that knew he had several firearms.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1  evilone  replied to  George @3    8 months ago
Shouldn't his wife be arrested and going to prison?

He was divorced.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.1  George  replied to  evilone @3.1    8 months ago

So you have first hand knowledge of the fact she didn't know he had guns? or any of his family? The rules need to be the same for everyone.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  George @3.1.1    8 months ago

So you have first hand knowledge of the fact she didn't know he had guns? or any of his family? The rules need to be the same for everyone.

1st you have to stipulate which rule you are referring to.

2nd, and I haven't seen this noted anywhere yet, you have to determine how he got the guns.  Did he not turn them over in 2007, did he purchase new ones, did he steal them, or are they owned by someone else and he simply appropriated them?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.2    8 months ago
"did he steal them, or are they owned by someone else and he simply appropriated them?"

That's probably the case. Most criminals and psychos don't get their guns from gun shops or dealers, or from gun shows.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.3    8 months ago

That's probably the case. Most criminals and psychos don't get their guns from gun shops or dealers, or from gun shows.

Most mass shooters legally owned their guns.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilone @3.1    8 months ago
He was divorced.

Was he ever married?

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.6  evilone  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.5    8 months ago
Was he ever married?

Doesn't one need to be married to then be divorced? I'm sure he also had a doctor at one time. Maybe a mechanic.... a mother... neighbors... What's your point?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilone @3.1.6    8 months ago
Doesn't one need to be married to then be divorced? 

Yes and in 3.1 you said that he was divorced.  

What's your point?

It was a question, not a point.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.8  evilone  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.7    8 months ago
Yes and in 3.1 you said that he was divorced.  

Then your question was answered before you even asked it.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.9  devangelical  replied to  evilone @3.1.8    8 months ago

... usually close to 95% of the time.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @3.1.9    8 months ago

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  George @3    8 months ago

I’m sure the parents of the Kansas City parade shooters are getting arrested though, right?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    8 months ago

So he was banned from having a gun, and he still got one.  Give it up, America, you're doomed.  Even with more stringent gun control laws, even with more enforcement, when there are more guns than people, and when you can even build your own gun, you're doomed - too many gun lovers, too many gun defenders, you're doomed.  Mass shootings every day.  American culture is gun culture.  Live with it. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    8 months ago

In an interview at the World Governments Summit 2024 held in Dubai , Carlson unloaded on President Joe Biden, calling him “senile” and accusing him of bringing down both living standards and life expectancy in the U.S. as he said he was impressed by the Russian capital.

“What was radicalizing, very shocking and very disturbing for me was the city of Moscow, where I’d never been, the biggest city in Europe, 13 million people, and it is so much nicer than any city in my country,” Carlson said.

“It is so much cleaner and safer and prettier aesthetically, its architecture, its food, its service than any city in the United States,” he continued.

Tucker Carlson Praises Moscow As ‘So Much Nicer’ Than Any U.S. City (msn.com)

Buzz, I think we are both old enough to remember when the US was the safest country in the world, and it had less gun laws. So how did a place like Moscow become safer than let us say Los Angeles?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    8 months ago

The combination of The Second Amendment and the NRA.

charger 383
Professor Silent
4.1.2  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.1    8 months ago

Probably because courts did not make examples of earlier killers

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    8 months ago

Why doesn't Fucker move to Russia then, since it's so much better than anywhere in the U.S.  I don't think putin needs another cockholster, the former 'president' is doing the job just fine.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.3    8 months ago
Why doesn't Fucker move to Russia then, sinc

Maybe he just enjoys watching some leftwingers go batshit crazy.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.3    8 months ago

Right, Russia is so safe that political opposition is thrown in a prison colony and executed.

Protestors are arrested. That's the place I want to live

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.5    8 months ago

According to Fucker.  I saw what Fucker didn't show - those protesting Navalny's death were brutalized and beaten and arrested - and all Fucker had to show us was how wonderful the grocery stores and subway stations were in Moscow.

I repeat - Fucker - why don't you go live there?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.3    8 months ago

and his supporters.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    8 months ago

Safer says who?  How many countries have Wiki pages about how many businessmen or political opponents  have fallen out of high rise buildings?

Suspicious deaths of Russian businesspeople (2022–2024) - Wikipedia

Full List of Russians to Fall Out of Windows Since Putin Invaded Ukraine (newsweek.com)

Updated: A list of oligarchs and Putin critics found dead since Ukraine war | Euronews

I can only advise Hanoi Jane to move over and make room for Tucker the Putin Patsy.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5  mocowgirl    8 months ago
A judge denied the motion to lift the ban in 2020, court records show. No explanation was provided in the order.

Higbee said that he was surprised to hear about the shooting and that he did not believe Gooden was capable of such violence in 2020, when he filed the motion.

"I — probably like everyone else, whoever came across him — would have thought this is not something that would happen," he said. "There's just no way to know."

At the time of the filing, Higbee said people close to Gooden had vouched for his character. His client also had evidence of rehabilitation and had gone a dozen years without a felony conviction, the attorney said.

This is complete and utter nonsense.

Doesn't the abuser usually control his temper around the people he is NOT abusing?  Just because the abuser was not being reported does not mean that he was not abusing someone or several someones.  The abuse was not reported for many reasons - misguided love/compassion, fear, etc.

I have read reports that most murders are actually planned months in advance.  

The judge, in this instance, may have been educated on profiles of abusers.  Such education should be mandatory for everyone employed in education and law enforcement.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  mocowgirl @5    8 months ago

If this is a case where domestic violence has occurred in the past, he may have been barred from having weapons and munitions under the Lautenberg Amendment

The Lautenberg Amendment makes it a felony for anyone convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence such as an assault or attempted assault on a family member, to ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms or ammunition. The purpose of this Amendment is to get and keep firearms out of the hands of those individuals with domestic violence convictions. This form is to confirm if a U.S. Marshal applicant has not been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence .

Under the Criminal Resource Manual ( CRM 1000-1499):

GUN BAN FOR INDIVIDUALS CONVICTED OF A MISDEMEANOR CRIME OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE -- 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(9)

The 1968 Gun Control Act and subsequent amendments codified at 18 U.S.C. § 921   et seq.   prohibit anyone convicted of a felony and anyone subject to a domestic violence protective order from possessing a firearm. The intended effect of this new legislation is to extend the firearms ban to anyone convicted of a "misdemeanor crime of domestic violence."

This bill passed with almost unanimous support and represents Congress's recognition that "anyone who attempts or threatens violence against a loved one has demonstrated that he or she poses an unacceptable risk, and should be prohibited from possessing firearms."   Congressional Record , p. S11878, September 30, 1996. This new provision affects law enforcement in three interrelated ways. First, it will assist in preventing those individuals who have demonstrated a propensity for domestic violence from obtaining a firearm. Second, it will assist law enforcement by providing a tool for the removal of firearms from certain explosive domestic situations thus decreasing the possibility of deadly violence. Finally, it will serve as a federal prosecution tool in certain situations where alternatives have failed.

I don't recall anything in the article about domestic violence.  That doesn't mean that it's a factor in all this.

Either way, it was determined he not eligible to have weapons and he did.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1    8 months ago
I don't recall anything in the article about domestic violence.  That doesn't mean that it's a factor in all this.

As usual for me, I had researched for more information about the perp that would explain why the judge denied the access to guns despite the lawyer's insistence that Gooden was just a good old boy incapable of violence/abuse.  

The "justice" system worked so well for Gooden that a judge had ordered that Gooden had primary physical custody of his children.  Sadly, this is all too typical of how abusers are so successful at portraying themselves as the victim and the real victim as the abuser - or maybe the judge hates women because of his/her own mommy issues.

BCA releases search warrant, new details in Burnsville domestic violence call | MPR News

Gooden has faced multiple allegations of violence against his romantic partners. In Minnesota, at least three women have filed requests for orders for protection from him.

Gooden was convicted in a 2005 disorderly conduct case stemming from a domestic violence call; more serious charges against him were dropped.

In a filing from 2017, a woman alleged that Gooden became physically abusive soon after their son was born. She said that Gooden head-butted her in the face and gave her a concussion and black eye and pushed her down stairs.

Torres filed a protection order request against Gooden in 2020. Torres alleged that Gooden told another woman to assault Torres while they were arranging to exchange their children.

In the decade they lived together, Torres said Gooden’s abuse was constant. He continually accused her of cheating and regularly hit her. She also said Gooden would get other family members to assault her.

Torres   told KARE 11   that Gooden had made previous threats to shoot police. 

“Whenever he thought that I would call the cops, to throw fear in me, he’s like ‘I’m going to have a standoff. I’m going to kill everybody.’ It’s always been immortalized in this fantasy of how he’s going to go.”

A judge in a custody case later ordered that the children spend two-thirds of their time with Gooden.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6  Jeremy Retired in NC    8 months ago

A person who should not have a gun got a gun?!?!?!  All those gun control laws the left keeps trying to push on everybody failed?  

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1  devangelical  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6    8 months ago

... all those gun purchasing loopholes left open by maga russian assets for the NRA?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @6.1    8 months ago
all those gun purchasing loopholes left open by maga russian assets for the NRA?

I like the very latest Russia, Russia, Russia conspiracy theory!

At least that's a new one!

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.1    8 months ago

estate sales are where the bargains are, especially when it's grandpa that kicked the bucket...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @6.1.2    8 months ago

Which, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with anything I have written!

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.3    8 months ago

[deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  devangelical @6.1    8 months ago

Because that what what to do with what I said?  FFS keep up.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6    8 months ago
A person who should not have a gun got a gun?!?!?!  All those gun control laws the left keeps trying to push on everybody failed?

Yes!

One problem is DAs of all stripes refusing to fully prosecute gun crimes.

Plead down gun crimes for convictions on lesser charges

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2    8 months ago
One problem is DAs of all stripes refusing to fully prosecute gun crimes.

From what Mocowgirl put in 5.1.1 that is exactly what the problem is.  

Maybe holding DAs accountable needs to be considered.