╌>

McConnell will endorse Trump to win Senate majority, colleague says | Mitch McConnell | The Guardian

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  7 months ago  •  47 comments

By:   MartinPengelly (the Guardian)

McConnell will endorse Trump to win Senate majority, colleague says | Mitch McConnell | The Guardian
Republican Senate leader, 'hell-bent on getting the majority', said to be ready to push principles aside in quest for political power

It's an hour later and McConnell is bowing out!

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Republican Senate leader, 'hell-bent on getting the majority', said to be ready to push principles aside in quest for political power

Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader in the US Senate, will "look past a load of shit" to endorse Donald Trump for president, a GOP colleague said.

US voters face a stark choice on foreign policy - and they might prefer Trump's offer | Emma AshfordRead more

"He'll look past a load of shit to improve the path to the majority," the senator said, speaking anonymously to the Hill. "That'd be the one reason why Mitch would rise above principle and do the politically expedient thing … because he is hell-bent on getting the majority, and he'll make personal sacrifices for that."

McConnell is the only top leadership figure among Senate Republicans not to have endorsed Trump in his probable rematch with Joe Biden. He is reportedly negotiating how and when to do so.

John Thune, McConnell's number two, attracted criticism when he endorsed Trump, who he previously said was "inexcusable" for his attempt to overturn the 2020 election and incitement of the deadly January 6 attack on Congress in 2021.

Like Thune, McConnell voted to acquit Trump at his impeachment trial over January 6. But McConnell did excoriate Trump immediately afterwards.

Calling Trump "practically and morally responsible" for the attack, McConnell said the mob had "been fed wild falsehoods by the most powerful man on Earth because he was angry he lost an election".

"President Trump is still liable for everything he did while he's in office," McConnell added. "He didn't get away with anything yet."

But Trump has so far evaded accountability for January 6 - or for other election subversion, retaining classified information and paying hush money to an adult film star, the subjects of 91 criminal charges.

Nor have multimillion-dollar penalties in civil cases involving Trump's business affairs and a rape allegation a judge called "substantially true" significantly dented his standing.

Having won every primary vote, Trump is on the brink of securing the nomination.

Always brittle, the relationship between Trump and McConnell nonetheless paid off for Republicans when Trump was in the White House, particularly through the installation of three conservatives on the supreme court.

After January 6, though, the relationship fell apart. Trump regularly abused both McConnell and - in racist terms - his wife, Elaine Chao, who was transportation secretary until 7 January 2021, when she resigned.

skip past newsletter promotion

after newsletter promotion

Trump and McConnell have reportedly not spoken in three years. Last week, referring to legislation passed since Biden entered the White House, Trump told a Fox News town hall: "I don't know that I can work with him. He gave away trillions of dollars that he didn't have to, trillions of dollars. He made it very easy for the Democrats."

Nonetheless, multiple reports suggest an endorsement is being negotiated, fueled by McConnell's desire to take back the Senate.

Another unnamed Republican told the Hill he did not think an endorsement "would be easy" for McConnell, "but he's a pragmatist and at the end, he'd rather have a Republican or Republican policies".

"There would be no other reason" for McConnell to endorse Trump than to boost Republicans' chances of retaking the chamber, the senator said. "I don't know if his political mind can overcome the personal [issues] enough. If anybody can do it, he can probably do it."

Thirty-two of 49 Senate Republicans have endorsed Trump. Holdouts include Joni Ernst of Iowa, the only leadership figure below McConnell not to have bent the knee. Ernst has spoken positively about Nikki Haley, Trump's last primary opponent, but has also refused to rule out a Trump endorsement.

McConnell has said he will support the eventual Republican nominee. On Tuesday, he declined to comment about speculation that he will soon back Trump.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    7 months ago

McConnell Has Now Submitted His Resignation!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  JBB @1    7 months ago

his space cadet episodes must be happening more frequently...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1    7 months ago

Maybe he's tired of sucking the mushroom too . . . . . 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @1    7 months ago
Senate Minority Leader  Mitch McConnell  (R-Ky.) plans to step down as the head of Senate Republicans following the 2024 election.

Yep..........no longer wants to be the head stick, the big cheese, the head honcho, the BBMFIC

George
Junior Expert
1.2.1  George  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2    7 months ago

[deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @1    7 months ago

At least SOMEBODY realizes they're too old to continue.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.3    7 months ago
At least SOMEBODY realizes they're too old to continue.  

I wish every coot older than 70 in Congress would retire today.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    7 months ago
"He'll look past a load of shit to improve the path to the majority," the senator said, speaking anonymously to the Hill. "That'd be the one reason why Mitch would rise above principle and do the politically expedient thing … because he is hell-bent on getting the majority, and he'll make personal sacrifices for that."

This behavior is sickening.   It is replete in the current GOP.   The party has lost all semblance of integrity.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @2    7 months ago

He is the definition of speaking out of both sides of one's mouth

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @2    7 months ago
This behavior is sickening.   It is replete in the current GOP.   The party has lost all semblance of integrity.

Wow.

That certainly doesn't make it unique among American political parties.

George
Junior Expert
3  George    7 months ago

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  George @3    7 months ago

You might want to read the first comment before you go off half cocked just to get a dig at JBB

George
Junior Expert
3.1.1  George  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    7 months ago

So what is the entire point of the article if JB allegedly knew McConnel was retiring? [deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    7 months ago

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  George @3.1.1    7 months ago

Why do you constantly say jbb is lying?  That is not true.  I can't believe those comments are allowed to stand.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  George @3.1.1    7 months ago

oh good grief

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.3    7 months ago

Well, neither one of us can flag him now

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.6  seeder  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.5    7 months ago

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  JBB @3.1.6    7 months ago

Hey that's not right. If you can't comment on his he shouldn't be allowed on yours

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.8  seeder  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.7    7 months ago

I agree...

Especially so since he has deleted at least twenty of my comments in his lousy groups based on their lousy red bix rules just in the last month. I do not do that...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.5    7 months ago

[deleted]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
3.1.10  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.7    7 months ago

One has nothing to do with the other. Jbb should be able to comment in any group as long as he follows the RBR's of that group.

The comment flagging thing goes like this:

If someone flags a comment, they can no longer comment to that specific comment AND

If someone comments, they can not flag the comment they are responding to and only that comment

I hope that straightens things out! 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.10    7 months ago
f someone flags a comment, they can no longer comment to that specific comment AND If someone comments, they can not flag the comment they are responding to and only that comment

I understand that. I think this still confuses a handful of people here.

Jbb should be able to comment in any group as long as he follows the RBR's of that group.

He said his restriction email said he couldn't comment in Jim's articles or flag them. I'm just going by what JBB said.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.10    7 months ago

[deleted]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
3.1.13  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.11    7 months ago

The restriction runs both ways. Both Jbb and Jim can not flag each other for now.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.12    7 months ago

ummm....no he can't

look below jrSmiley_116_smiley_image.png

George
Junior Expert
3.1.15  George  replied to  JBB @3.1.8    7 months ago

If you don't want your memes deleted, follow the reb box rules, Charger deleted mine for the same reason, the main difference is i owned up to it and admitted my mistake.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.13    7 months ago

that's an interesting twist

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.17  seeder  JBB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.10    7 months ago

No, that is contrary to your email to me!

You plainly told me that I am restricted from commenting on Just Jim's articles until sometime in April. You said nothing about me not being able to even flag him on my own articles, yet I cannot. And, he continues to troll my articles. Must I copy your email to me as proof? Sheesh...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
3.1.18  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @3.1.17    7 months ago

No, you misunderstood. You both can comment to each other, but neither of you can flag each other. 

Now let's end the meta.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.19  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @3.1.17    7 months ago

You are wrong. It specifically said we are not to flag each other or each other's seeds. Period. Flagging the only thing that is gone.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.20  seeder  JBB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.18    7 months ago

Then it was a damn poor communication...

"You are now restricted from engaging with Just Jim NC TttH for 70 days;  until Friday, April 26, 2024 at 1:45 pm.

Specifically, please do not:
<ul> <li><b>flag</b> any comment or article made by Just Jim NC TttH.</li>
</ul>

This is a mutual restriction - Just Jim NC TttH has the same restrictions.

Thank you for your cooperation,
Split Personality

---------------------------------------

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1.20    7 months ago
Specifically, please do not: <ul> <li><b>flag</b> any comment or article made by Just Jim NC TttH.</li> </ul>

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.23  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.22    7 months ago

Nobody asked for or wanted your opinion!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.24  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.22    7 months ago

Your flag against 3.1.17 was dismissed as PH responded already.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4  Jeremy Retired in NC    7 months ago
McConnell has said he will support the eventual Republican nominee.

That's in contrast to the claim the headline makes.  

George
Junior Expert
4.1  George  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4    7 months ago

Not just that, the headline states that McConnel will,

Republican Senate leader, 'hell-bent on getting the majority', said to be ready to push principles aside in quest for political power.

In comment number one the poster announces that McConnel will retire, so on it's face the article is a lie, [deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  George @4.1    7 months ago

Does it say when he will retire? Did you ever consider that the Turtle will endorse trmp as his last act of defiance?

Ya know....if you have nothing constructive to add why don't you just blow off?

George
Junior Expert
4.1.2  George  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    7 months ago

[deleted,] what exactly in your opinion does " in quest for political power" Mean? exactly what power does he have retired? The entire article is a fucking lie. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    7 months ago

[deleted]

JBB
Professor Principal
4.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4    7 months ago

No, Mitch McConnell can both retire and also surrender his principles, if any, to vote Trump...

They aren't mutually exclusive, for Lying Mitch!

George
Junior Expert
4.2.1  George  replied to  JBB @4.2    7 months ago

[deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @4.2    7 months ago
Lying Mitch

So you're doing this again.  You'll find something later that he said that you'll claim is absolute fact.

Regardless, what I quoted (from the article) goes against what the title claims.  

JBB
Professor Principal
4.2.3  seeder  JBB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.2.2    7 months ago

No, McConnell can work for a gop Senate majority without even being in the Senate.

He never had any goid intention anyway!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @4.2.3    7 months ago

Fuck the turtle.  I hope the door hits him in his ass on the way out.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.4    7 months ago

Guess we will have to wait and see since he is going to finish out his term and won't be going out the door till 2027

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6  Greg Jones    7 months ago

Meanwhile, getting back to something approaching the topic, I suspect that the Republicans will capture a few seats and take over the Senate, while hanging onto the House.