╌>

Poll Shows Biden Losing Some of his 2020 Voters to Trump

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  robert-in-ohio  •  2 months ago  •  57 comments

By:    (John L. Dorman)

Poll Shows Biden Losing Some of his 2020 Voters to Trump
Biden also has to overcome doubts about the economy, as 50% of voters in the poll called it "poor."

Biden continues to struggle with significant declines amongst groups of voters that carried him to victory in 2020.

The key issues of the economy, the Israeli-Hamas War, the border crisis are factors among the voters surveyed

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Eight months ahead of the general election, President Joe Biden remains in a precarious position as he continues to trail former President Donald Trump in a rematch among likely voters, according to the latest New York Times/Siena   poll .

Amid Biden's polling troubles, two significant things stand out in the Times/Siena survey: Biden is currently losing a bloc of supporters who backed him in the 2020 election and he is virtually tied with Trump among women, a key group that backed him by 11 points that year.

Overall, Trump led Biden among likely voters 48% to 44% in the Times/Siena survey.

And despite former South Carolina Gov.   Nikki Haley's   primary campaign against Trump, where she's been able to win over a chunk of GOP voters while arguing that the party needs new leadership, 97% of voters who backed the former president in 2020 say they'll do so again this year, per the survey.

However, Biden is only retaining 85% of voters who backed him in the 2020 election in the survey, with 9% of the president's 2020 supporters indicating that they'll support Trump this fall.

In an election that could be decided by close margins in a handful of   swing states , any slight defection or bump in support could prove decisive for each of the contenders.

Women , who backed Biden by a 55% to 44% margin in 2020, were key to his election, along with Democratic candidates across the country as the party held the House that year and regained control of the Senate in January 2021.

In the Times/Siena poll, Trump led Biden among women by a 47% to 46% margin among likely voters. Meanwhile, men backed Trump over Biden 49% to 42%.

One of Biden's biggest challenges in this election is his messaging on the economy. While the president has touted strong jobs growth and   low unemployment , inflation during much of the COVID-19 pandemic ate into the pocketbooks of Americans and many voters remain pessimistic about the country's economic fortunes.

In the Times/Siena poll, 50% of likely voters rated the economy as "poor," while only 28% of voters rated it as "good" or "excellent." A little over one in five voters (22%) labeled the economy as "only fair."

There were some positive signs in the poll for Biden, though.

He had a 13-point lead (54%-41%) with voters aged 18-29, a group that has been especially critical of his handling of the   Israel-Hamas war . However, Biden will still have to work to make up ground with this group, as they backed him by 24 points (60%-36%) in 2020.

The poll also showed Biden ahead among   suburban voters , a key group that will play a significant role in races up and down the ballot.

Among this group, Biden led Trump 47% to 44% among likely voters.

Red Box Rules

Discuss the poll results - what each side needs to do to improve their standing with the identifies groups of voters.

Be civil with each other if you can.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Robert in Ohio    2 months ago

From the article

• The latest New York Times/Siena College poll shows Trump leading Biden 48%-44% among likely voters.

• The numbers show Biden lagging not only with his 2020 supporters but also female voters.

• Biden also has to overcome doubts about the economy, as 50% of voters in the poll called it "poor."

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    2 months ago
Biden also has to overcome doubts about the economy, as 50% of voters in the poll called it "poor."

No way to deal with low and no information voters who are not paying attention to the metrics and are largely operating on emotion.   The economy is by any measure "good", not "poor".   Inflation has and is reducing, interest rates are now trending down, GDP is quite up, the stock market (and, thus, retirement accounts) is breaking new highs.

Biden's problem is that people do not feel the effects of the economy moving in the right direction.   They still see mortgage rates and inflation (prices) higher than recent memory and that is basically the end of the analysis.

That said, none of this has much to do with Biden's role as PotUS.  The rise and fall has been due to factors outside of the control of any PotUS.   So he will get credit for a killer GDP and a very strong Bull market yet that is not his doing.   Similarly he will be blamed for high interest rates and inflation which also has little to do with his actions as PotUS.

Biden can be blamed for his inexplicable inaction on the border, his irresponsible loan forgiveness acts, his lack of fiscal discipline (along with Trump and prior PotUS'), etc.    But the economy is, for most factors, way beyond the pay-grade of any PotUS.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  TᵢG @1.1    2 months ago
eal with low and no information voters who are not paying attention to the metrics and are largely operating on emotion.

They are looking at their bank account and wondering how McDonalds became a luxury. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @1.1    2 months ago

"But the economy is, for most factors, way beyond the pay-grade of any PotUS."

But the party in power will get blamed, regardless. The economy is just one part of Biden's lack of popularity.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.2    2 months ago

Yes, the party in power is credited / blamed for the economy as I explained in my post.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.1    2 months ago

Yes, the low / no information analysis that I described.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.4    2 months ago
ow / no information analysis that I described.

They have very good information about their own situation.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.6  TᵢG  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.5    2 months ago

Some do, but I think most do not.

The information most consider is poor in terms of analyzing the state of the economy.

It is good for determining their feelings about the economy, but not the actual health of the economy.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.1.7  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  TᵢG @1.1    2 months ago

low and no information voters 

T G 

It seems arrogant and disingenuous to describe those that disagree with you as being uniformed or stupid..

The economy is doing well on Wall Street, but still sucks on Main Street

Thanks for the perspective

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.8  TᵢG  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1.1.7    2 months ago

Where do I define low and no information voters as those who disagree with me?

You made a cheap, gratuitous personal attack.  

The economy is doing well on Wall Street, but still sucks on Main Street

I made that distinction too in my comments.   But I disagree that the economy sucks on main street.   It did suck a year ago and is much improved now.   Not great due to still inflated prices, but certainly does not suck compared with our economic history.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.8    2 months ago

[Deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @1.1    2 months ago
 Inflation has and is reducing, interest rates are now trending down, GDP is quite up, the stock market (and, thus, retirement accounts) is breaking new highs.

But it does not reduce prices. Those food prices are now baked in.

No way to deal with low and no information voters who are not paying attention to the metrics and are largely operating on emotion.

Oh ya, that's right, working people shouldn't look at how much more they are spending for food & necessities, they should listen to the media.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.9    2 months ago

[Deleted]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.12  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.10    2 months ago
But it does not reduce prices. Those food prices are now baked in.

I think you know (or should now) that inflationary pressures cause a quick increase in prices but deflation does not result in a timely reduction of prices.   That is, prices are slow to fall.    Competition does eventually kick in as market forces seek to fill the gap between the cost to produce and the price charged.   If the gap is large, competition has opportunities.    But this takes time.

Regardless, a PotUS has little control over this.

Oh ya, that's right, working people shouldn't look at how much more they are spending for food & necessities, they should listen to the media.

Strawman.   Not only did I not even hint that, my comment expressed the opposite of your tone.   For example:

TiG@1.1Biden's problem is that people do not feel the effects of the economy moving in the right direction.   They still see mortgage rates and inflation (prices) higher than recent memory and that is basically the end of the analysis.

Funny (not humorous) how some engage in strawman arguments rather than honestly deal with what people write.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.1.13  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.10    2 months ago

Well Said

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1.1.7    2 months ago

TiG is never arrogant and/or disingenuous.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1.1.13    2 months ago

No, not at all.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.1.16  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.14    2 months ago
TiG is never arrogant and/or disingenuous.
I am sure he appreciates the testimonial.  jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.1.17  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.15    2 months ago

No, not at all.

Appreciate your insightful comment, but Vic's comments were in line with what millions of Americans are telling politicians and pollsters.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2  seeder  Robert in Ohio    2 months ago

The area that most surprised me and that could be a key factor in the 2024 election

Women , who backed Biden by a 55% to 44% margin in 2020, were key to his election

(but now)

In the Times/Siena poll, Trump led Biden among women by a 47% to 46% margin among likely voters.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Robert in Ohio @2    2 months ago

The Dems have shown that they have no respect for biological women, having cast their lot with the pretend kind. 

The left has lost numbers in just about every demographic and group during the Biden regime.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Robert in Ohio @2    2 months ago

I would have thought the abortion issue would have intensified women's support of Biden, and I didn't see the word "immigration" mentioned in the article.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.2.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2    2 months ago

Buzz

I am sure that reproduction rights are important to many voters and will surely play a role in voting decisions

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2    2 months ago
No way to deal with low and no information voters who are not paying attention to the metrics and are largely operating on emotion.

Believe it or not IMMIGRATION is now the number 1 issue.

Don't worry, democrats will find a way that it is not about issues but about stuffing ballot boxes. Maybe this time Trump will get 90 million votes and they'll come up with 100 million.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Robert in Ohio @2.2.1    2 months ago

I hope so.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.2    2 months ago

That's not my quotation that you are addressing.  If what you say about how the voting goes in your "Ideal democracy" that America is trying to sell around the world, it may as well just play on Saturday Night Live.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.2.5  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.2    2 months ago

Believe it or not IMMIGRATION is now the number 1 issue.

I came across this last night

2024 Issues ranked

Inflation 20%
Healthcare 14%
Immigration 12%
Economy 11%
Climate 8%

Most important voter issues U.S. 2024 | Statista

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.4    2 months ago

My ideal democracy died long ago.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.2.8  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.7    2 months ago

Thanks for sharing - pick your poll I guess

Gallop is usually pretty good 

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.2.9  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.6    2 months ago

My ideal democracy died long ago.

As I think Churchill once said democracy is the worst form of government except for all the other forms of government.

We have always struggled and always will because the US is not simply a democracy, but also a republic

I saw this on BING AI Chat

The United States of America is   both a republic and a democracy . Let’s delve into the nuances:

1. Republic :

• A   republic   is a political system where the supreme power resides in the citizenry, who have the right to vote for representatives and officers accountable to them.
    • In a republic, the   constitution   places limits on how the government can wield its power.
    • Rights   are considered   inalienable   and cannot be altered by elected officials without direct public consultation.
    • The U.S. exemplifies a republic because its constitution restricts governmental authority. For instance, the   Bill of Rights , the right to vote, and the power to amend the constitution are all protected and cannot be changed unilaterally by the government.
  2. Democracy :

• The United States is a   democracy , but not a pure one. It operates as a   representative democracy .
    • In a   direct democracy , the majority directly decides on all governance matters through referendums, without elected representatives.
    • However, the U.S. follows a   representative democracy , where citizens elect individuals to represent them in government.
    • Additionally, the U.S. is a   constitutional democracy , meaning that the government’s functions and roles are governed by the constitution, safeguarding the rights of all citizens, whether they form a majority or minority.
  3. Hybrid Democratic Republic :

• Modern states often identify as   democratic republics , governed by a constitution.
    • The U.S. remains both a   republic   (due to constitutional limits on government power) and a   democracy   (with elected representatives and constitutional protections).

In summary, the United States combines elements of both a   republic   and a   democracy , making it a   constitutional federal republic   with a strong democratic tradition at various levels of governance

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.6    2 months ago

Don't think I'm cheering - I'm really sorry to see it.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Robert in Ohio @2    2 months ago

No sane, decent person would vote for the former 'president'.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.3.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Tessylo @2.3    2 months ago

No sane, decent person would vote for the former 'president'.

Do you mean Obama, Bush, Clinton?

jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

Always appreciate your insight but sane or insane was not one of the categories of voters that were polled

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.3.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Robert in Ohio @2.3.1    2 months ago

You forgot Jimmy Carter.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    2 months ago

Never ceases to amaze me.    

Biden is NEVER wrong.    

Just ask him or one of his Bidenettes.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Sparty On @3    2 months ago

Sparty

Bidenettes - hilarious sort of the opposition to Trumpsters I guess

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Robert in Ohio @3.1    2 months ago

A play on words of a popular commercial of my youth for Goobers and Raisinets.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    2 months ago

The Progressives have spent the last four years claiming MAGA is a movement of white christian nationalists and that's what Trump is appealing to. It's their favorite buzz word. But the white vote hasn't moved. Trump is now getting 35% of the black votes, which essentially accounts for the 10 point swing between the current vote split and 2020.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 months ago
Trump is now getting 35% of the black votes, which essentially accounts for the 10 point swing between the current vote split and 2020.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
4.1.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    2 months ago

John

I agree that it is not a huge number, but in some of the swing states (if history is any indication) a small, but significant swing in a couple of voting groups will be the difference in winning and losing

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5  Mark in Wyoming     2 months ago

Personally, I think the economy is humming right along fine, what I think the voters are looking at and calling it the economy is what most are seeing as the cost of living , what they are paying in their day to day lives with expenses they can't avoid.

I said before that this election cycle when it comes to the economy , it will fall down to kitchen table politics,what people have to spend to live as they have.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5    2 months ago

Doesn't the cost of living increase dollar-wise at least incrementally year after year?  There is always going to be a cost attributed to inflation - does the car you own cost the same as it did 10 years ago?  Are people generally so stupid as to blame a POTUS for that?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    2 months ago

Buzz I think most people know that, what I think is happening is what was once called "sticker shock".

Years ago  when making my financial plans for now, I got some advice to plan for double the annual cost of living increase, back then 3% annually was normal to high, so one should add 6% to their savings people that could would add7.5% to be safe.

Then again, I have been accused of being able to make a penny scream like it's getting a tittie twister in sub zero temps.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5.1.2  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    2 months ago

Buzz

I hardly would characterize the average citizen being raked over the fiscal coals by shrinkflation, high interest rates for loans and mortgages, steadily rising costs of consumables and living pay check to pay check as stupid.

The president is indeed not responsible for all of the ill of the economy nor should he be so bold as to try and credit for those things going well (i.e. constant crowing about Bidenomics 

We are seeing every day goods (food etc) with steadily rising prices and shrinking sizes - a double whammy.

As opposed to stupid the average citizen is quite astute and sees the that a good economy for wall street does not directly translate to a good economy for main street.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    2 months ago

“Climbing rents in recent years propelled US cost burdens to staggering new heights: in 2022, half of all US renters were cost burdened. This all-time high of 22.4 million renter households spent more than 30 percent of their income on rent and utilities. And while rental markets are finally cooling, evictions have risen, the country is seeing the highest homelessness counts on record, and the need for rental assistance is greater than ever.”

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.3    2 months ago

And …. Another mortgage bubble ripe for explosion if things don’t improve soon.

Yowsa!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    2 months ago
Are people generally so stupid as to blame a POTUS for that?

Absolutely.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.1.1    2 months ago

@ Mark, Robert and Drinker

I'll make this clear to all of you.  I did not say the people were just plain stupid.  I said that I think they are stupid if they blame the POTUS for it, especially a POTUS that is blocked by congress for anything positive he wants to do.  Inflation and the economy is a WORLD-WIDE problem, not just an American one, and nobody can control a world-wide problem individually. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.6    2 months ago
 I said that I think they are stupid if they blame the POTUS for it, especially a POTUS that is blocked by congress for anything positive he wants to do. 

Are the folks that celebrate “Bidenomics” stupid?  Did he lower unemployment and raise GDP?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.7    2 months ago

I don't know anything about "Bidenomics".  Of course it's not stupid to appreciate the lowering of unemployment and increasing the GDP.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    2 months ago

If you're depending on 35% of the black vote for trump to win you're fucked

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @6    2 months ago

Fucking eh!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
6.2  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell @6    2 months ago

John

Well put and I agree that an increase in his percentage of the black vote alone will not be enough to swing the entire election.

I see this poll result more of an indication of where the candidates and their entourages will be focused through November 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @6    2 months ago

You guys need 95% of it

George
Junior Guide
6.3.1  George  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.3    2 months ago

Biden will be able to claim he got 100% of the black vote. You have to remember, if you don’t vote for Biden you ain’t black.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.3.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  George @6.3.1    2 months ago

Right now he can only depend on about 80%