╌>

Israel strikes Iran and chaos reigns at Columbia.

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  2 weeks ago  •  61 comments

Israel strikes Iran and chaos reigns at Columbia.
Iran seeks to return to the shadows and is downplaying the Israeli strike on the strategic city of Isfahan, but I think they’ve gotten the message: Israel can penetrate Iranian defenses and strike wherever it wants.

Link to quote: (1) Jonathan Conricus on X: "Iran seeks to return to the shadows and is downplaying the Israeli strike on the strategic city of Isfahan, but I think they’ve gotten the message: Israel can penetrate Iranian defenses and strike wherever it wants." / X (twitter.com)

Last night Israel responded to Iran's missile & drone attack. Not much is known about the attack other than where it took place. It seems that Iran is playing it down, no comment from Tel Aviv and the Biden administration only acknowledges that US officials were given a heads up. Cable news outlets confirmed that the strike took place. While Fox News tried to determine exactly what was hit, MSNBC foreign affairs analyst Andrea Mitchell indicated that the strike was near the Iranian nuclear site at Iran's Isfahan province. She went on to lament President Trump's termination of the Iran Deal, as if the deal was preventing Iran from developing nuclear weapons. Clearly, the deal was ensuring that Iran would be able to develop them. That's the problem with repeating what MSNBC says. I think I will prohibit anything from MSNBC since we almost know that anything they say will be a lie.

The other big story yesterday was the arrest of 100 pro-Palestinian/Hamas protestors who disregarded instructions to disperse at beleaguered Columbia University. Some did chant "We are Hamas." One of them assaulted a cop. Among the 100 arrested was the daughter of Omar Ilmar.

GLe-5T8X0AAfVAy?format=jpg&name=small
Ilhan Omar with her self-described ‘Communist’ daughter , Isra Hirsi.

Omar's daughter was arrested for her involvement in organizing an antisemitic hate protest at Colombia University. Well, I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Jewish students, who were living in fear, applauded the removal of anti-Israel protesters. She is now suspended from Barnard College. Joe Biden who claimed he entered the presidential race in 2020 because of the hate at Charlottsville, had not a word to say about the antisemitic hate at Columbia.

nypd-arrests-students-campus-columbia-80302198_e1bcf7.jpg?w=1024

It was a very tough day for both Iran and America's radical left. And very quiet on some social media sites.

In other news:

Hamas has rejected the latest offer to pause the fighting in Gaza in exchange for the release of hostages, the C.I.A. director said.

The U.S. vetoed a resolution that would have supported admitting Palestine as a full member state.

Heavy rains fell in Afghanistan and Pakistan killing more than 130 people. The authorities have forecast more flooding and rainfall.

All twelve jurors have been seated for Donald Trump’s quick criminal trial in Manhattan. The judge, Juan Merchan, said he hoped opening arguments would begin on Monday. Two jurors had to be removed, one was a stealth juror who hated Republicans.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s campaign qualified for the Michigan ballot.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

Good morning.

biden-trump-comp-1.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=246&h=164&crop=1

Trump leads Biden in Michigan and Georgia. The other battleground states are razor close.

Can the dems get their conviction on Trump?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 weeks ago

It is the only chance they have.

They are all in; and praying that no honest jurors sneak through.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    2 weeks ago
and praying that no honest jurors sneak through.

Praying hard at that!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 weeks ago

I think the expression is "The apple doesn't fall FAR from the tree."

I believe the last offer for a cease fire, which Hamas refused, required an exchange of 40 hostages for 900 Palestinian prisoners.  Hamas is admitting that 1 Israeli has the same worth as about 22 Palestinians.  I agree with that. 

No demands are made for Hamas to surrender, which would mean an instant release of the hostages, the end of all fighting and bloodshed, open the doors for huge amounts of humanitarian aid to be distributed and start the rebuilding of Gaza. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    2 weeks ago
I think the expression is "The apple doesn't fall FAR from the tree."

Very important correction.  In that case one missed word makes a tremendous difference. Thank you, sir.

I believe the last offer for a cease fire, which Hamas refused, required an exchange of 40 hostages for 900 Palestinian prisoners.  Hamas is admitting that 1 Israeli has the same worth as about 22 Palestinians.  I agree with that. 

Good point.

No demands are made for Hamas to surrender, which would mean an instant release of the hostages, the end of all fighting and bloodshed, open the doors for huge amounts of humanitarian aid to be distributed and start the rebuilding of Gaza. 

You are in favor of such a deal?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    2 weeks ago

Sadly, you are correct. Much of America has apparently abandoned principles and now support terrorists. Its a tragedy.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    2 weeks ago

I am in favour of it because 1) It would mean an immediate end to the bloodshed and release of the hostages, 2) by surrendering the Hamas and Islamic Jihad militants would then be imprisoned so at least for a while, all should be quiet on the Gazan front, 3) Hezbollah and the Houthies would have no cause to continue their shelling, and 4) because aid would flow into Gaza it might end a lot of the anti-Israel rhetoric and demonstrations.  It might even cause some of the rampant antisemitism to return to being internalized (by that I mean that some of the ingrained antisemitism among the gentiles would no longer be openly demonstrated).  However, I know it's not going to happen because the militants won't surrender, cause if they do they won't get to enjoy deflowering their 72 virgins and sojourning with them forever in the Garden of Allah. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.3    2 weeks ago

Provision # 2 is not a part of it. Obviously, you wish that they would give themselves up.

Unfortunately, they won't, and they will have to be killed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.4    2 weeks ago

Yes, as I've indicated, I know why they won't surrender.  What angers me is that all the blame is being laid on Israel, and NOBODY is demanding that the remaining Hamas militants surrender in order to stop the mayhem.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.6  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.5    2 weeks ago
What angers me is that all the blame is being laid on Israel, and NOBODY is demanding that the remaining Hamas militants surrender in order to stop the mayhem.

I know you don't want to hear this, but the problem on that lies with the current US administration. Even if the world demanded that Hamas surrender as part of the deal, I have a terrible feeling that none of the hostages survived.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.6    2 weeks ago

That could be why Hamas will not agree with any cease fire terms, even ones beneficial for them, they just want to kick the truth down the road. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.7    2 weeks ago

I just wonder why the world seems so eager to want to negotiate with terrorists.

Has the world learned nothing after years of dealing with these animals?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.8    2 weeks ago

Tex, they're Barbarians, monsters, not animals.  Animals don't do the things that they do.  Just look at all those people marching and protesting and demonstrating in support of them.  Makes the expression "Stop the world, I want to get off" reasonable.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.9    2 weeks ago

I stand corrected!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 weeks ago
Can the dems get their conviction on Trump?

If they do, and Trump isn't eligible, how will all the Biden voters justify voting for the failure again? How will they justify voting for someone most will acknowledge isn't a good fit for the job? Will be interesting whether critical thinking and integrity win out, but I will have my doubts until proven wrong.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  author  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

Meanwhile Joe Biden was in Philadelphia, where he struggled to close a box in a convenience store.

Evidently, few knew he was there. We look to him to solve the problems in a complex world.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    2 weeks ago

It was a great idea and was inspiring.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

It was staged, including the "four more years" chanting. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    2 weeks ago

From your link:

The NYYRC credits their Hispanic and Black caucuses as well. 

All I can say is well done!

Long ago President Wilson had young men line up at draft board locations in a show of patriotism for WWI. The idea took off. Young men began volunteering.

Maybe New Yorkers will see the light. As Trump said, "We need to fix the city of New York." "I love New York."

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    2 weeks ago

And somehow still came off more life like and real than Brandon's botched staged visit. Guess someone forgot his teleprompter and ear piece.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.4    2 weeks ago

At least Trump doesn't have his own supporters protesting him and calling him "Genocide Joe."

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    2 weeks ago

Man, for a second there I thought you might actually talk about Biden.

LMMFAO at myself!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  author  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

C hinese-linked hackers have snooped around critical US infrastructure and have put themselves in a position to attack at “the right moment,” FBI director Christopher Wray ominously warned.

Speaking at the 2024 Vanderbilt Summit on Modern Conflict and Emerging Threats, Wray underscored that the bureau and other federal authorities have been scrambling behind the scenes to counter the threat, which he said is “upon us now.”

“The PRC [People’s Republic of China] has made it clear that it considers every sector that makes our society run as fair game in its bid to dominate on the world stage,” Wray claimed.

FBI director Christopher Wray warns Chinese hackers lying in wait to attack US infrastructure: ‘Upon us now’ (msn.com)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 weeks ago

Why would China want to do anything that would prevent the USA from being its biggest export destination?  In the year 2023 America imported 427 billion US dollars worth of goods from China.  The "FEAR" just doesn't make sense to me, and is promulgated for a political reason. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    2 weeks ago

I don't think China is about to attack American infrastructure.  I do believe China wants every option open to it should there be any kind of hostilities between the two nations.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    2 weeks ago

Since America is doing and saying everything it possibly can to hobble China to prevent its development, I can't blame China one bit. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.2    2 weeks ago

To be fair I think America, from the day Bill Clinton and the US let China into the WTO, enabled China to do exactly that:

“Membership in the W.T.O., of course, will not create a free society in China overnight or guarantee that China will play by global rules,” Clinton said that day. “But over time, I believe it will move China faster and further in the right direction.”

The Tragic Legacy of Bill Clinton’s China Doctrine - Policy Magazine

It was misguided thinking.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.3    2 weeks ago

And who feels they have the authority to determine what the "right" direction is for others.  Is it because America's doctrine is "Might is Right"?  What's good for General Bullmoose is good for everybody?  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.4    2 weeks ago

I think it was a very naive idea to think that China would convert to a free enterprise system if only they experienced the benefits of it.

That was a costly mistake.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  author  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

I love this pic. (from Britany Eurton)

It reminds me of my first journey to New York, which was April of 1971.

Aqueduct looked impressive and imposing back then. Spring was in the air. Today it is a Racino and the city is a shell of itself.

GLee4F7WcAAun6T?format=jpg&name=small

I knew it when ...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    2 weeks ago

Yet again,  by ignoring the Biden admin, Israel triumphs and dramatically improves its security situation .  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    2 weeks ago

In the middle east "don't" must mean do it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1    2 weeks ago
In the middle east "don't" must mean do it.

Biden must have messed up.

Perhaps he didn't pause long enough or didn't whisper the word softly enough.

Or maybe he just doesn't strike any of the terrorists as anything to worry about--a toothless tiger, so to speak.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.1    2 weeks ago

The only people worried about Biden are our allies.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6  Ronin2    2 weeks ago
The U.S. vetoed a resolution that would have supported admitting Palestine as a full member state.

Glad to see the US maintaining it's form of fucking the Palestinians over. Have to keep them in the proper place as Israel's red headed step child. We will even gleefully supply Israel with all of the US tax payer funded coat hangars they need.  I guess the PA is happy with the US/Israeli money being funneled to them. They certainly have no interest in helping those people under their rule in the West Bank fend off Israeli settlers and the IDF. Just like they have no interest in holding elections ever again. The rest of the Palestinians will just have to content themselves with whatever scraps of aid Brandon decides to literally drop on their heads. 

But hey, there is always Iran, Hezbollah, and whatever is left of Hamas to collect the lost Palestinians souls. Not that any of those groups have the best interests of the Palestinians at heart; or won't fuck them over at a moments notice. 

At least they have the US protestors who are far more concerned about showing how "woke" and self righteous they are; then actually aiding the Palestinians. Organizing groups to collect food, clothing, and medical supplies- that is so 20th century. Writing, emailing, petitioning your Congress critter or the White House? What are they part of the Greatest Generation? Next they will be expected to take time out of their busy lives to vote in person (gasp)!

With friends like these the Palestinians deserve Israel./S

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ronin2 @6    2 weeks ago

Palestine isn't really a country yet. Before it gets a vote in the UN it should have sovereignty.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    2 weeks ago
Palestine isn't really a country yet.

It's mind boggling how many people don't know that.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.1.2  charger 383  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    2 weeks ago

it should never be a country

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  charger 383 @6.1.2    2 weeks ago

OMG you're going to have them all going nuts.

They are still licking their wounds. Let us be kind today.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1.4  Ronin2  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    2 weeks ago

It never will be a country Israel, US, Iran, PA, Hamas, and Hezbollah will see to that.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1.5  Ronin2  replied to  charger 383 @6.1.2    2 weeks ago

I guess you can be lumped in with all of the entities I mentioned in post 6.1.4.

It is mixed company at best.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Ronin2 @6.1.4    2 weeks ago

Why would anyone want to create a terrorist state on purpose?

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.7  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    2 weeks ago
Palestine isn't really a country yet.

And it never was . . 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1.8  Ronin2  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.6    2 weeks ago

You think all Palestinians are terrorists?

Typical.

Do you even know any Palestinians?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1.9  Ronin2  replied to  Krishna @6.1.7    2 weeks ago

Israel ceased to exist long ago as a country. That was until the Balfour Declaration and Sykes/Picot. 

If Israel can be resurrected from the dead; then Palestine can be created.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7  author  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8  author  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
9  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 weeks ago

Why do Traitor Joe's "outings" look more like a Make A Wish Foundation event?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @9    2 weeks ago

Imagine being part of the secret service and spending the day with Joe Biden.

I'd be praying for his noontime nap.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
9.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.1    2 weeks ago
Imagine being part of the secret service and spending the day with Joe Biden.

I wonder how many would step aside if the shit really went down.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @9.1.1    2 weeks ago

Men who put their own lives on the line?

I think you are in a better position to answer that question than I am.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
9.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.1.2    2 weeks ago

I'm in no position to say for sure.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @9.1.3    2 weeks ago

My guess is they will respect the office above the man.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
9.1.5  Ronin2  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @9.1.1    2 weeks ago

I hate to say this; but many secret service would probably do the same with Trump.

Given the Mar-a-Lago leaks how many had to come from the secret service; who coordinated the raid with the FBI and DOJ.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ronin2 @9.1.5    2 weeks ago

You think it was the Secret Service agents' job to hide that a crime was being committed?  Are you equating "reporting a crime" with "leaking confidential information"?

Interesting.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
9.1.7  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ronin2 @9.1.5    one week ago

True.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10  author  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

Krishna
Professor Expert
11  Krishna    2 weeks ago

Last night Israel responded to Iran's missile & drone attack. Not much is known about the attack other than where it took place. 

Israel generally has a policy of not commenting on whether or not they were behind a specific attack... 

That being said, its obvious they were behind this one. 

It seems that Iran is playing it down, no comment from Tel Aviv 

Normally Iran and most of the Muslim world would rant and rave about how terrible this attack was. Iran's playing it down in this case is very unusual.

Conclusion? Iran doesn't want a full scale war with Israel at this time. (And similarly Israel doesn't want a full scale war with Iran).

They both felt a need to show they would "retaliate" if attacked-- but both planned their recent attacks to create the least possible damage.

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @11    2 weeks ago
They both felt a need to show they would "retaliate" if attacked-- but both planned their recent attacks to create the least possible damage.

The world is changing! In ther past, of all the Arab nations, Saudi Arabia was one of the most radical-- both internally as well as intheir foreign policies. Let's not forgot who was behind 9/11:

The hijackers in the September 11 attacks were 19 men affiliated with Islamist jihadist organization al-Qaeda. They hailed from four countries; 15 of them were citizens of Saudi Arabia, two were from the United Arab Emirates, one was from Egypt, and one from Lebanon.

15 of 19 were Saudis!!!

Yet in this recent attack, the fact is that the Saudis actually took actions supporting Israeli defenses! (They had intelligence sources that gave warning of the attack to a third party that informed Israel and its allies in advance!)

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
12  Drinker of the Wry    2 weeks ago

Israel is becoming the leader of a regional coalition against Iran. Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Jordan are quietly form partnerships with Israel and with G7 support in a long term approach to mitigate Iran.