╌>

Reality is about to strike

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  2 months ago  •  81 comments

Reality is about to strike
“Women are going to hate me,” Cohen recalled Trump saying. “Just take care of it.”

Today is the day that Michael Cohen will be cross-examined by the Trump defense team. The man who will say just about anything for anybody, said what Alvin Bragg wanted yesterday. Yesterday, the serial liar Cohen, who most decent prosecutors would never try to build a case with, testified that Trump "knew "
he was going to pay for the nondisclosure agreement and that it would be buried before the election. The big problem with that is that it is perfectly legal. We also found out that Cohen taped his client without his client's knowledge which is a monstrous breach of attorney/client confidentiality. It had no bearing on this case whatsoever, just like the Stormy Daniels testimony.

Today the defense will rip Cohen apart with his many past statements and how he was so depressed that Trump wouldn't give him a job at the DOJ. Can you imagine anyone making Michael Cohen the nation's Attorney General?

It will also be a bad day for Alvin Bragg who is just about done with his presentation and still hasn't demonstrated what Trump is guilty of or what the "hidden crime" was. Last but not least, when the defense & prosecution are finished the ball will ultimately be in judge Merchan's hands. It will be left to him to do what Alvin Bragg failed to do. He will have to get a guilty verdict through duplicitous jury instructions. That would mark him forever as a devious, partisan judge who tried to frame a former President.

In other news:

Joe Biden, who once criticized President Trump for tariffs on China, will announce higher tariffs on China imports including electric vehicles and computer chips.

The U.N. said that a staff member was killed when one of its convoys came under fire in Rafah. That's the problem with trying to run a convoy through a war zone with Hamas firing on it.

Ukraine is short on troops and weapons as it tries to repel a new Russian offensive in the northeast.

As Russia advances, Secretary of State Antony Blinken arrived in Kyiv to remind the Ukrainians that Biden is with them.

The government approved sweeping changes to electric grids. This could lead to many new high voltage power lines as well as more wind and solar power.

The New York Times falsely claimed that RFK JR said abortion should be legal early in pregnancy and restricted later. That may have once been his stand but recently he said that abortion should be unrestricted right up until birth.

Former  White House  press secretary  Jen Psaki  said she will update future editions of her recently released book, after a claim she made about President  Joe Biden 's actions while at the dignified transfer of Marines killed in Afghanistan in 2021 was debunked.

Biden received significant criticism for looking at his watch to check the time while the remains of 13 Marines, who were killed during a bombing in Kabul,  Afghanistan , during the U.S. withdrawal from the country in 2021, were returned to the United States. Psaki, then the White House press secretary, claimed, in her book Say More, that the incident was "misinformation."

Jen Psaki changing future reprints of book after Biden claim debunked (msn.com)

BB1mjRpj.img?w=768&h=512&m=6

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    2 months ago

Good morning

GNhODfzW8AATg9C?format=jpg&name=small

Yesterday MSNBC was telling everyone how different Michael Cohen seemed, as if he was somehow now believable. They tried to put a nice face on the disaster unfolding. Today reality will strike.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago

[deleted][]

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago
as if he was somehow now believable

I noticed that all the defense has is attacking his character, not the actual facts of the case. Very telling. 

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.1  evilone  replied to  MrFrost @1.2    2 months ago
I noticed that all the defense has is attacking his character,

Cohen said their was only 3 people in the room including him. The defense could put Weisselberg on the stand, but he has the same character problem as Cohen OR perhaps they fear him corroborating the prosecutions case. They could put Trump on the stand, but that opens him up for perjury on cross examination, since Trump can't seem to ever tell the truth. That leaves tearing down Cohen's character as their easiest option. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.2  MrFrost  replied to  evilone @1.2.1    2 months ago

100% spot on. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.3  devangelical  replied to  evilone @1.2.1    2 months ago

trump has hamstrung his defense team and upon his probable conviction, he'll blame them and then stiff them...

I enjoy watching trump require his VP hopeful sycophants to appear and violate his gag order by proxy though...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.2.3    2 months ago

That scumbag Scott continues to attack the Judge's daughter.  

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.5  evilone  replied to  devangelical @1.2.3    2 months ago
trump has hamstrung his defense team and upon his probable conviction, he'll blame them and then stiff them...

I'm not certain the defense has proven their case since we still have cross today and everything hangs on Cohen's say so. In the end it won't matter what you, or I, think. Only what the jury believes.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.2.6  Snuffy  replied to  evilone @1.2.5    2 months ago

But the defense doesn't need to prove their case since it's innocent until proven guilty. To me it doesn't seem like the prosecution has yet proven it's case. On the 34 charges in the indictments on bookkeeping, yesterday Cohen stated he submitted false invoices for legal services, if that was what was on the invoice then wouldn't the bookkeeping entry mirror that?

A guilty verdict wouldn't surprise me as this is New York City which is something like 90% Democrat and from what I can see from the other side of the country is rather fed up with all things Trump. It will be interesting to see what comes out of the jury on this. But I would also expect a guilty verdict to be overturned on appeal.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.7  MrFrost  replied to  Snuffy @1.2.6    2 months ago
On the 34 charges in the indictments on bookkeeping, yesterday Cohen stated he submitted false invoices for legal services, if that was what was on the invoice then wouldn't the bookkeeping entry mirror that?

But at the end of the day, Trump is responsible for it. If Cohen did something in trump's name, that still falls on trump because he authorized Cohen to do it. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.8  MrFrost  replied to  Snuffy @1.2.6    2 months ago
A guilty verdict wouldn't surprise me as this is New York City which is something like 90% Democrat

Right, it can't possibly be because he's fucking guilty. Always make up excuses, no matter how stupid, just never say he's guilty, got it, good talk. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.9  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @1.2    2 months ago
the actual facts

Hum, do tell...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.10  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @1.2.1    2 months ago
That leaves tearing down Cohen's character as their easiest option. 

That is a civic duty. As I stated responsible prosecutors would NEVER base their case on the testimony of a repeated perjurer.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.11  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @1.2.6    2 months ago
But I would also expect a guilty verdict to be overturned on appeal.

So does Merchan and Bragg, and they know it will be AFTER the election.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.12  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.7    2 months ago
Trump is responsible for it.

For what?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.13  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.8    2 months ago
he's fucking guilty.

Of what?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2.14  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.7    2 months ago
Cohen did something in trump's name, that still falls on trump because he authorized Cohen to do it.

That's not how criminal law works, at all. 

They are going to have a hard time proving the records are false, let alone that Trump intended the records be falsified as part of a scheme to intentionally defraud someone of property or money which the  New York  law requires, and we know that  never happened.  And that would just be to satisfy the necessary requirements for the misdemeanor. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.15  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.8    2 months ago

The endless defense of the indefensible

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.16  evilone  replied to  Snuffy @1.2.6    2 months ago
But the defense doesn't need to prove their case...

I miss typed. My mistake. I meant prosecution. 

On the 34 charges in the indictments on bookkeeping, yesterday Cohen stated he submitted false invoices for legal services, if that was what was on the invoice then wouldn't the bookkeeping entry mirror that?

Cohen also stated Trump knew it was to bury the stories and we already know Trump signed the checks. It will be up to the jury to decide...

A guilty verdict wouldn't surprise me as this is New York City which is something like 90% Democrat and from what I can see from the other side of the country is rather fed up with all things Trump. It will be interesting to see what comes out of the jury on this. But I would also expect a guilty verdict to be overturned on appeal.

Very little would surprise me these days. I wouldn't put any money down on anything here - be it verdict, sentencing or appeal. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.17  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @1.2.16    2 months ago
I miss typed.

It's called a Freudian slip.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.18  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.9    2 months ago
Hum, do tell...

Why not turn on the TV and watch the live testimony Vic? Or are you waiting for the right wing fake news to formulate your opinion for you?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.19  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.12    2 months ago

For what?

Didn't read the comment, that's ok Vic. Trump is responsible for what goes on in his own company. It's a well known fact that he is a micromanager as well. 

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.20  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.17    2 months ago
It's called a Freudian slip.

It's called multitasking... Why must you make everything personal? 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.21  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.18    2 months ago

Kind of hard to do with no live television coverage don't you think?

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
1.2.22  goose is back  replied to  evilone @1.2.1    2 months ago
That leaves tearing down Cohen's character as their easiest option. 

What character..........he's was convicted for PERGURY, he went to fucking jail, there's nothing to tear down, just display his past. Or are one of those that say he's telling the TRUTH this time.    

Eat The Press Do Not Read It
Professor Guide
1.3  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago

The REALITY is that:

1. Trump was accused by 23 women of RAPE.  What % is that of the actual rapes by Trump?

2. Trump STOLE Top Secret documents from the WH. The CIA stated that shortly thereafter, 25-35 Intelligent Assets were killed throughout Europe.  They claim that the ONLY way Russia could have know where and who these "assets" were is "If someone leaked that information"!

The incidents happened shortly after T-Rump stole those documents and refused to turn them over to the proper authorities.

These are FACTS, not opinions by angry, Republicans still desperately trying to find a grain of virtue in the WORST POTUS to ever hold that position, "Donnie J. Trump", a career CON MAN.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    2 months ago

Cohen is one of the more despicable people out there, which doesn’t speak well of trumps judgment in trusting him with anything.  That democrats now believe him despite his record and despite serving trump, the mane they view as the worst American ever, speaks even less well of them.

at the end of the day though his testimony doesn’t matter. He can’t actually pin a crime on trump, since no crime was committed, he negotiated  NDA when stormy Daniels tired to exotort trump.  Nothing illegal for trhno there.    Per the FEC, it’s not a campaign contribution.  Nothing illegal for trump there. Cohens going to testify that trump wanted to keep the story from the press? So what? That’s literally what every political campaign ever has done, 

The judge is working with the prosecution to create the illusion of a crime.  It’s all smoke and mirrors with nothing but ominous sounding words at the center “hush money” “conspiracy” etc. with no legal basis. They are.  Banking on jurors taking the view so many progressives here take,  that trump is a bad guy and guilty of something and needs to be convicted because of who he is.  All they want is the conviction. Who cares if adults on the appellate courts throw it out in a year.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    2 months ago
Cohen is one of the more despicable people out there, which doesn’t speak well of trumps judgment in trusting him with anything.

I'm sure nobody knows who Harry Greenberg was. He was a degenerate gambler who did very minor & unpleasant tasks for Meyer Lansky. Bugsy Siegal tried to spare Greenberg's life by reminding everyone that we never gave him anything important to do, only the stuff that we didn't want to soil our hands with. Cohen was a sort of Harry Greenberg. Cohen doesn't even talk like a lawyer. He sounds like some street guy from Brooklyn. In the scheme of things, he was a very minor player.

That democrats now believe him despite his record and despite serving trump, the mane they view as the worst American ever, speaks even less well of them.

I hope you are not surprised by that, Sean.

at the end of the day though his testimony doesn’t matter. He can’t actually pin a crime on trump, since no crime was committed, he negotiated  NDA when stormy Daniels tired to exotort trump.  Nothing illegal for trhno there.    Per the FEC, it’s not a campaign contribution.  Nothing illegal for trump there. Cohens going to testify that trump wanted to keep the story from the press? So what? That’s literally what every political campaign ever has done, 

Yes Sean, all of it seems so straightforward. Somehow in this ridiculous case, they have a very willing jury thinking that Trump should have filed the payment as "a hush money payment.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    2 months ago
That democrats now believe him despite his record and despite serving trump, the mane they view as the worst American ever, speaks even less well of them.I hope you are not surprised by that, Sean.

I am kind of waiting for MSNBC to start to praise him as presidential material and if he's interested in a 2028 run.  /s

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.1    2 months ago

That's usually the kiss of death as Michael Avenatti will attest to.

Professor Guide
2.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    2 months ago

Nothing COMPARES to Trump!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 months ago
Former  White House  press secretary  Jen Psaki  said she will update future editions of her recently released book, after a claim she made about President  Joe Biden 's actions while at the dignified transfer of Marines killed in Afghanistan in 2021 was debunked.

If she were truthful and not the typical Biden administration bottom feeder, she wouldn't need to make edits after the fact.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    2 months ago

They are so used to their blatant lies; they don't even realize that whole thing was televised.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    2 months ago
They are so used to their blatant lies

You're talking about trump, right? 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    2 months ago

Then they cry like toddlers when they are called out on them.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.1    2 months ago

[deleted][]

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.4  MrFrost  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.3    2 months ago

For once, keep up with the conversation.

Oh I am.. Why doesn't trump take the stand? Because his lawyers know he would start lying as soon as his fat ass hit the chair and he would be in prison, just like Cohen was. Trump cannot speak without lying and his lawyers know it. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.4    2 months ago

[deleted][]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.6  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.1    2 months ago

No Ben Crump

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.7  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.2    2 months ago

Here they keep voting up the lie

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.7    2 months ago

That's what happens when they all take to gaslighting.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.9  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.8    2 months ago

And a few have their instructions to keep the Crump lie on the front page.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.9    2 months ago

We like to keep the truth and facts front and center

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.11  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.10    2 months ago

Start with the Russia hoax.

Do you accept the fact that it was a hoax created by the Clinton campaign?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.11    2 months ago

You don't accept facts.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.13  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.12    2 months ago

That makes 10.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.14  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.6    2 months ago
No Ben Crump

He's involved in this case how exactly?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.15  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.11    2 months ago
Start with the Russia hoax .

OOps.

Trump admits son met Russian for information on opponent

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.16  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.15    2 months ago

OOps that's not collusion.

It's getting old.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.17  George  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.16    2 months ago

As opposed to hiring a foreign intelligence office to actively work with Russians to gather information on your opponent?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Sean Treacy  replied to  George @3.1.17    2 months ago
ng a foreign intelligence office to actively work with Russians to gather information on your opponent?

And then misreport the expense to the FEC 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.19  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.16    2 months ago
OOps that's not collusion.

Is Russia an ally of the USA? No. Want to try again? 

George
Junior Expert
3.1.20  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.18    2 months ago

That can't be right, i heard they prosecute people for that. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Principal
3.1.21  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.19    2 months ago
Want to try again?

Still not collusion.  But don't let that get in the way of regurgitating defunct narratives.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.22  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.13    2 months ago

10 what?  Times I have told the truth in this 'article'?

Professor Guide
3.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    2 months ago

Jeremy, as you may recall, it was TRUMP that ordered the immediate release of the AFGHANISTAN PRISONERS, who went on a murderous spree killing every known Afghanistan that aided 
US TROOP.

The CHAOS, as every damn chaotic thing did, war created by this totally incompetent, CON ARTIST, that fooled the MASSES OF ASSES into believe that he had the RIGHT STUFF.

George
Junior Expert
3.2.1  George  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @3.2    2 months ago

So trump has the ability to release prisoners in Afghanistan? When did a US president acquire those powers and why didn't Obama use this magic to get US prisoners back?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    2 months ago

I can't believe that every last juror in this trial is going to fooled and bamboozled by the absurdity and lack of credibility of this case. We still don't know what actual crime that Trump is alleged to have committed. It takes just one intelligent and non-braindead juror to hang the verdict. 

'Reality Is About to Sink in' for Alvin Bragg, Legal Analyst Warns (msn.com)

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Greg Jones @4    2 months ago

They’ve barely provided any evidence trump committed a misdemeanor, let alone any proof that he willfully committed felonies.  But with this judge instructing the jury, I’d be very surprised at a not guilty verdict. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @4    2 months ago

I think that when the judge gives them the final instructions, he will address them as my fellow democrats.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.3  Snuffy  replied to  Greg Jones @4    2 months ago

I asked a few days ago what the second charge was as the 34 counts in the indictment are all misdemeanors which are being elevated to a felony based on a second charge. That second charge is required by New York law in order to elevate the misdemeanor charge to a felony. Never could get an answer.

Based on digging it might be they are bootstrapping to New York law Section 17-152 which reads :

Any two or more persons who conspire to promote or prevent the election of any person to a public office by unlawful means and which conspiracy is acted upon by one or more of the parties thereto, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. Section 17-152 - Conspiracy to promote or prevent election, N.Y. Elec. Law § 17-152 | Casetext Search + Citator

That's been implied by what some of the prosecution has stated previously, but not clearly defined. 

While the jury is comprised of New Yorkers who are undoubtedly fed up with Trump and don't care much for him, a guilty verdict would not surprise me. But it's very possible that this ends with a hung jury due to at least one not being able to find Trump guilty of the charges. And if guilty, I really expect it to be overturned on appeal as it just seems like there's no real evidence tying Trump to any crime. I mean, Trump met with others and talked about how bad it would look for him in his campaigning, just like every other politician who has worried about some skeleton from his closet coming out.

Catch and bury : legal.

NDA's : legal

The money paid back to Cohen came from Trump's money, not campaign money. Even the DOJ said that was legal and not a campaign violation. 

Wondering just how bad things will get both here and on the street should this trial conclude with a not guilty verdict. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.3.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Snuffy @4.3    2 months ago
election of any person to a public office by unlawful mean

the kicker being if they had followed Bragg's made up version of election law and categorized the NDA as an election expense, it still wouldn't have been  submitted  until 2017, after the election, making it impossible to play any role in the election anyway and impossible for Trump to have the necessary intent to willfully violate a known legal duty to commit a fraud. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.3.2  Snuffy  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.3.1    2 months ago

And when will Bragg start taking other New York politicians to court over their campaigns funding opposition research? 

evilone
Professor Guide
4.3.3  evilone  replied to  Snuffy @4.3    2 months ago
I asked a few days ago what the second charge was as the 34 counts in the indictment are all misdemeanors which are being elevated to a felony based on a second charge. That second charge is required by New York law in order to elevate the misdemeanor charge to a felony. Never could get an answer.

According to the prosecution's questioning the second charge are the crimes of Cohen and Pecker. Cohen pleaded guilty to campaign crimes and Pecker admitted on the stand he knew he was committing campaign crimes. He was given immunity to testify. I think this part of the case is pretty well established, the issue will be having the jury believe the other part where only Cohen claims Trump was in on the conversation about paying him back. I'm not sure just Cohen's testimony will be enough.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.3.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @4.3.3    2 months ago
the second charge are the crimes of Cohen and Pecker.

Those "crimes" are not admissible as evidence that Trump committed a campaign finance related crime and shouldn't even have been allowed to be mentioned to avoid misleading the jury.  Instead the judge ruled they could be discussed as evidence of the witnesses credibility and supposedly only their credibility, though of course the prosecutors will dishonestly use that to hint to the jury it is evidence Trump committed a crime.  

evilone
Professor Guide
4.3.5  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.3.4    2 months ago
Those "crimes" are not admissible as evidence that Trump committed a campaign finance related crime...

I think, I'll leave that up to the courts to decide. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.3.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @4.3.5    2 months ago
I'll leave that up to the courts to decide.

They did.

udge Juan Merchan read an instruction to the jury cautioning them that Michael Cohen's guilty plea was offered to them to assess Cohen's credibility but not as evidence of Trump's guilt in this case.   "Mr. Cohen's plea is not evidence of the defendant's guilt, and you may not consider it in determining whether the defendant is guilty or not guilty of the charged crimes," Merchan told jurors.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-hush-money-trial-05-14-24/h_

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3.7  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.3.2    2 months ago

'campaign funding opposition research'?

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

is that what they're calling it these days?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.3.8  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @4.3.7    2 months ago
The Clinton campaign hired Perkins Coie, which then hired Fusion GPS, a research and intelligence firm, to conduct opposition research on Republican candidate Donald Trump’s ties to Russia. DNC, Clinton campaign agree to Steele dossier funding fine | AP News

Yes, that's exactly what it's called. Political campaigns have for a very long time hired people to do opposition research against their opponents. This is old news, please don't try to treat it as something new.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3.9  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.3.8    2 months ago

[]

Professor Guide
4.4  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Greg Jones @4    2 months ago

VIC:  Remember, 23 women came forward, at considerable risk to themselves, their careers, families, and possibly putting their offsprings in jeopardy to warn the NATION of how erate Donald J. Trump is, and, the threat he is to everyone.

The BORDER WALLS were never completed by Wizard Trump, but the MONEY allocated was all spent. How much did Trump get as a kick back?  

1.3 million of our fellow Americans died because of Trump's flip-flopping, attacks on the CDC, WHO, and suggesting that "BLEACH" may be a cure.

Trump, his Son-In-Law, Daughter and he, himself, made fortunes from his 4 years in office.

Why would anyone cling to a TRAITOR?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @4.4    2 months ago

Ignorant uninformed drivel

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.4.2  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @4.4.1    2 months ago

[deleted][]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    2 months ago

In New York City in 2022 (the last year for which there are   complete annual stats ), there were over 156,000 arrests. A little less than half of them, about 72,000, were felony arrests — nearly 29,000 categorized as   violent   felonies. All of these arrests resulted in   less than 12,000 indictments . More disturbing, still, is the bottom line: Those 156,000 arrests yielded a grand total of   just 4,375 prison sentences   — i.e., sentences of incarceration were imposed in less than 3 percent of arrest cases.

As you think about that, bear in mind that many attacks that normal people would consider violent are deemed non-violent in New York if no serious injuries result. Consequently, many forcible attacks that result in arrests are charged by prosecutors as misdemeanor assaults.   The Manhattan Institute’s Hannah Meyers points out on X/Twitter   that many misdemeanor assault cases are “disposed” by simply being dismissed: Last year, the dismissal rate in New York City was 66 percent, having surged from 45 percent a decade ago....

Yet, DA Bragg seems to have bottomless resources (prosecutors, investigators, funding) to throw at a seven-year-old business-records allegation against the Democrats’ principal political rival — normally, a misdemeanor that would not even be prosecuted in a city whose resources are too strapped to address major crime adequately, but that Bragg has inflated into a 34-count felony indictment (on which his proof appears woefully inadequate).

Great context

George
Junior Expert
5.1  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    2 months ago

New Yorkers can't walk the street, especially women without being worried about getting punched in the face, but by God we got trump for lying about paying a hooker.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6  author  Vic Eldred    2 months ago

In conclusion:

Tomorrow will be an off day for the show trial. Today Fox News had one of its anchors in the courtroom: Laura Ingraham. A few of her observations were that Cohen seemed to be over prepared by the prosecution. That was early in the day when he was still under direct examination by the prosecution. That quickly changed after lunch when Cohen had to answer defense questions. The prosecution had no corroborating witnesses or evidence to back up Cohen's testimony. They ended their case with Cohen. The prosecution will come right back at him on Thursday.

All the checks that the prosecution used as exhibits were labeled as "legal expenses." Watch for judge Merchan's answer when a juror asks what constitutes "a legal expense."

In the end we may get jury instructions that pushes the jury to a guilty verdict or even if we have honest jurors, they may simply be afraid to vote not guilty. Either way Biden will have his guilty verdict.

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.1  bugsy  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    2 months ago

What we are witnessing is a judge that does not want to give up his fifteen minutes of fame. He wants to be known as the judge that presided over a conviction of a former president, and what makes it even better is it is Donald Trump. To declare a mistrial or dismissal will not allow for that 15 minutes to continue or give him the label he wants.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @6.1    2 months ago

Pure speculation.   You have no idea what the judge is thinking.   All you or anyone can do is evaluate his behavior against the norms of jurisprudence. 

Merchan could have placed Trump in custody at this point.   He has not done so.   From what anyone on the outside can see, this judge has been trying to control loose-cannon Trump and has done so giving Trump all sorts of opportunities to behave.   You would be hard-pressed to legitimately criticize his behavior as being unusual for what the typical judge might do in the same situation.

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.1.2  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.1    2 months ago

No...what I said is true.

It's obvious

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
6.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  bugsy @6.1.2    2 months ago

It certainly seems that way

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  bugsy @6.1    2 months ago
To declare a mistrial or dismissal

That would truly be an epiphany for a judge who by state law should have recused himself. He is going to have to commit the egregious act all by himself.