╌>

NIH official finally admits taxpayers funded gain-of-function research in Wuhan — after years of denials

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  snuffy  •  5 months ago  •  37 comments

By:   Snuffy

NIH official finally admits taxpayers funded gain-of-function research in Wuhan — after years of denials
“Dr. Tabak,” asked Rep. Debbie Lesko (R-Ariz.) of the Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Pandemic, “did NIH fund gain-of-function research at the Wuhan Institute of Virology through [Manhattan-based nonprofit] EcoHealth [Alliance]?” “It depends on your definition of gain-of-function research,” Tabak answered. “If you’re speaking about the generic term, yes, we did.”

It's about damn time. 

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

At long last, National Institutes of Health (NIH) principal deputy director Lawrence Tabak admitted to Congress Thursday that US taxpayers funded gain-of-function research at the Wuhan Institute of Virology in China in the months and years before the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Dr. Tabak,” asked Rep. Debbie Lesko (R-Ariz.) of the Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Pandemic, “did NIH fund gain-of-function research at the Wuhan Institute of Virology through [Manhattan-based nonprofit] EcoHealth [Alliance]?”

“It depends on your definition of gain-of-function research,” Tabak answered. “If you’re speaking about the generic term, yes, we did.”

The response comes after more than four years of evasions from federal public health officials — including Tabak himself and  former National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) director Dr. Anthony Fauci  — about the controversial research practice that modifies viruses to make them more infectious.

Red Box Rules

Calling members trolls or dishonest will cause your comments to be deleted.

Trolling, taunting, spamming, and off topic comments may be removed at the discretion of group mods. NT members that vote up their own comments, repeat comments, or continue to disrupt the conversation risk having all of their comments deleted.

Please remember to quote the person(s) to whom you are replying to preserve continuity of this seed.

No Fascism References, Memes, SOURCE IS OFF TOPIC

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Snuffy    5 months ago

How many remember the constant denials from Dr Fauci that the NIH did any gain-of-function research. He lied under oath to Congress. Will he be held accountable?

“At a Senate hearing in May, Dr. Fauci said, ‘The NIH has not ever and does not now fund gain-of-function research in the Wuhan Institute of Virology.’ That was under oath, under testimony. On October 20th, the NIH principal deputy director in writing directly contradicted it.” The repeated claim that Fauci lied to Congress about ‘gain-of-function’ research - The Washington Post

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @1    5 months ago

This is just the beginning. Another hearing is scheduled next week and on June 3rd they haul in Dr Fauci.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2  charger 383    5 months ago

I wonder if we will ever find out about this.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    5 months ago

Oh, so America is discovering that American taxpayers are the real cause behind the Covid pandemic?  REVELATION!!!

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.1  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 months ago

and they are going to be pissed!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 months ago

Well no, negligence at the lab by sloppy researchers  and the coverup by the Chinese government caused the pandemic.  American dollars didn’t do that. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2    5 months ago
"American dollars didn’t do that."

Nope, American dollars didn't do that, they just FUNDED it, at a location as far away from America as they could, so as to not endanger the AMERICAN  public.  That seems to have backfired, didn't it. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.1    5 months ago

Yes, trusting Chinese labs and the Chinese government to operate competently and honestly was a mistake. No doubt,

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.2    5 months ago

As an answer to the NT "Robespierres" who lie through their teeth in order to crucify China, there is this...

Explainer: Why the U.S. has banned funding for Chinese lab at center of pandemic origin dispute

HHS memo faults Wuhan Institute of Virology for withholding information about coronavirus studies in mice but doesn’t blame it for the pandemic

Does the HHS memo suggest WIV leaked SARS-CoV-2?

No. The new memo focuses on WIV’s disclosures around mouse experiments it conducted as part of the 5-year grant that EcoHealth received from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) in 2014 to study the risk of coronaviruses in China moving from bats to humans, possibly through animals sold at wildlife markets. EcoHealth subcontracted with WIV to conduct some of the research, including studies in mice with coronaviruses isolated from bats.

HHS does not allege that the experiments created SARS-CoV-2, but faults WIV for refusing to share its laboratory notebooks and electronic files related to the experiment.

LINK ->

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.2.4  seeder  Snuffy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.3    5 months ago

Then why did the Chinese government destroy information and samples from the labs? They have even admitted it. Why have they refused to share information?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @3.2.4    5 months ago

Perhaps because they didn't want to release information that could possibly endanger the whole world if it were to fall into the wrong hands - think of it as an attempt to prevent "The Sum of All Fears".   

Of course, the USA does not keep any secrets, right?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.2.6  seeder  Snuffy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.5    5 months ago

Perhaps, but it's also possible they destroyed information to hide the truth as well. The Chinese government has put up a wall around it all and denied it ever happened at that lab but more and more information keeps coming out that points to that lab being the issue. 

Yes, every government keeps secrets. Problem is that ALL governments mark as SECRET any embarrassment to themselves as well. The overuse of classification is very problematic and abused all around the globe.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @3.2.6    5 months ago

So what it comes down to is nobody really knows, except...

The-Shadow-Knows.jpg

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.2.8  seeder  Snuffy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.7    5 months ago

True, we will never know the full truth. The sadder part is that it doesn't seem like we've learned our lesson from this and are not prepared for the next pandemic. All we really know is yes there will be another.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @3.2.8    5 months ago

Because we will never know the full truth, and because there are as many expert theories of an animal/bat-based origin as there are of a lab-leak, I resent those who make accusations with respect to one or the other.  I do blame the spread on the ignorance of one Chinese official who silenced the doctor who discovered and warned of the virus - the official did not want to cause a panic - doesn't THAT sound familiar?  However, China disciplined and dismissed the official.  In America the official who didn't want to cause a panic and delayed dealing with the pandemic at least partially caused more than a million American deaths but has paid no penalty, or even apologized for that.  I said "partially" because in my opinion the anti-maskers and the anti-vaxxers, and those who refused to do what would prevent the spread because they argued it was against their "personal rights and freedoms" ended up murdering members of their own families besides others.   

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.9    5 months ago
However, China disciplined and dismissed the official. 

I find that very interesting and I would like to read about that if you have a link.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.10    5 months ago

I recall reading that information back at the time, but in time things seem to get glossed over, and now all I can find is that they were 
"criticized" omitting that they were disciplined and dismissed, but  Dr. Li Wenliang and the others were exonerated for their whistleblowing.

"Li Wenliang received national attention after China’s top court Tuesday  criticized  (link in Chinese) Wuhan police for reprimanding eight Wuhan citizens for “spreading rumors” about an illness in late December, in a post on its official WeChat account. Li is considered to be one of the eight, although the police did not identify who specifically they had accused or punished."

LINK ->

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 months ago

Well, we know for a fact that the Wuhan lab was doing gain-of-function research on dangerous bat virus strains, which apparently escaped, and the commie Chinese government tried to cover it up and let it spread.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @3.3    5 months ago

Oh yeah, the "commies" let it spread INTENTIONALLY, because it was more effective than nuking the rest of the world.  But Trump didn't let it spread, because he simply delayed doing anything about it cause he was concerned the people would panic, as he said in the tape that Woodward recorded. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @3.3    5 months ago

NOW, see my comment just above yours.  Life is "hit and miss" isn't it?   I can agree completely with your comments about the Israel-Hamas conflict, but that doesn't mean you're always right. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.1    5 months ago
because he simply delayed doing anything about it cause he was concerned the people would panic,

As I recall it went like this:

Dr. Anthony Fauci , the Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and one of the lead White House Coronavirus Task Force members, is on record telling  Newsmax  in January that the coronavirus was “not a major threat.”

“This is not a major threat to the people of the United States and this is not something that the citizens of the United States should be worried about right now,” Dr. Fauci told Newsmax’s Greg Kelly on January 21.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.3.3    5 months ago

Didn't everyone do and say what their "dear leader" required of them back then?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.4    5 months ago

Nope.

Nobody knew much about the new virus. Dr Fauci gave the advice and Trump followed it and lost an election because of it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.3.5    5 months ago

Then on the one hand Dr. Fauci may have been the initial cause of a million deaths (but as I said, "individual rights and freedoms" pushed it to that extreme) but he also did America a favour.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.6    5 months ago
ne hand Dr. Fauci may have been the initial cause of a million deaths

Wel no. China lying to the world and the CDC, failing to contain the virus and destroying all evidence of it's origins was the cause. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3.7    5 months ago

Novel Coronavirus – China: Disease outbreak news, 12 January 2020

"The cluster was initially reported on 31 December 2019, when the WHO China Country Office was informed."

LINK ->

Fuller information was provided to WHO on January 12th 2020 when it became understood.

As for failing to contain the virus - China did a damn good job of containing it originally because maybe it really DID take draconian means sometimes.  When it was realized how virulent the virus was the only flights allowed to leave China were humanitarian ones, and at that time other nations were warned - what happened at that end was not China's responsibility.  However, a lot of the reason for the difference in the numbers and percentages is because of the differing cultures of the Chinese people and the American people.  In China the people are more concerned about the good of their family and community than they are of themselves, as compared to so many Americans stubbornly and selfishly demanding that their "individual rights and freedoms" caused them to ignore the suggested guidelines to prevent the spread of the virus.  I did not contract the virus until the Chinese government listened to the demands of the "blank paper" protesters (really? meaning they were not oppressed and silenced?) and opened the door to the spreading of the Omicron variant, which was a much lesser threat so I survived it just by staying home notwithstanding that I have never been vaccinated.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3.9  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.8    5 months ago
Statements made by the World Health Organization, the international body that advises the world on handling health crises, often echoed China’s messages. “Particularly at the beginning, it was shocking when I again and again saw WHO’s [director-general], when he spoke to the press … almost directly quoting what I read on the Chinese government’s statements,” he told me. The most notorious example   came in the form   of a single tweet from the WHO account on January 14: “Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel   #coronavirus .” That same day, the Wuhan Health Commission’s   public bulletin   declared, “We have not found proof for human-to-human transmission.”

Other readng:

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3.9    5 months ago

Maybe WHO should have known better, and in fact, maybe America should have known better since the Wuhan lab was manned by both AMERICAN and Chinese scientists, funded by AMERICAN dollars for what it produced.  I'm sure that the western press would hardly put any blame on the "western" side of the issue since it fucking well lies all the time anyway.  Walter Cronkite and Edward R. Murrow died a long time ago.  As I've been saying for years here, my grandpappy told me not to believe anything I read or hear and now, due to the present advances in technology, not to believe anything I see as well, unless it's with my own eyes. 

I never denied that China wasn't at least partly at fault - did I not blame the silencing of the Opthamologist?  Try as you might to push all of the blame onto China, you simply can't admit, can you, that at the very least AMERICA SHARES IT.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    5 months ago

Silence from the hoards here who intimated that this could not be true.

Their hero Fauci is a treasonous little bastard.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5  Hal A. Lujah    5 months ago

The armchair scientists outraged over gain of function research would be the same armchair scientists outraged over the real world consequences of not sufficiently researching gain of function.  This is the problem with social media - it’s a megaphone for people whose opinions don’t matter one bit.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    5 months ago

consequences of not sufficiently researching gain of funct

Would those include killing more than 7 million people ?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1    5 months ago

What about 100 million?  Maybe 200 million?  Nefarious manipulation of biological sciences could wipe out humanity.  Research into preventing that is paramount.  You are a prime example of a reactionary armchair scientist.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.1    5 months ago

So creating superviruses   to wipe out humanity to understand superviruses that can wipe out humanity is such a good idea you not only  support the government creating superviruses you cheer them for lying  and gaslighting you about it.  

That’s some argument.

also, in a republic, scientists  have no business deciding whether this research is performed. This isn’t “armchair science”

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.2    5 months ago

So creating superviruses   to wipe out humanity to understand superviruses that can wipe out humanity is such a good idea

Absolutely, despite the risks.  This is why there are only a tiny handful of labs throughout the world are equipped to handle such risk.  The fact that these highly specialized labs exist is not some kind of proof that this is where covid or any other biological threat escaped from, regardless of your armchair scientist opinions and conspiracy theories.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.3    5 months ago
conspiracy theories.

Calling the lab leak theory a "conspiracy theory" says it all. Even fauci stopped peddling that BS year ago. 

But it's a great example of why Fauci and his team spun that tale. The first impression sticks with so many  people because they  refuse to actually reconsider their opinions once they buy in. 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
5.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.4    5 months ago
Calling the lab leak theory a "conspiracy theory" says it all. Even fauci stopped peddling that BS year ago. 

Not a big deal, it was only one guy from China and it was completely under control. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.3    5 months ago

You can now see how Sean has "jumped the gun" in his "virulent" desire to crucify China (Interesting, isn't it, that the lab is funded and manned to a great extent by America rather than China) by taking note of my comment above:  LINK ->