╌>

Opinion | The Tyranny of Today’s Tipping

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  robert-in-ohio  •  2 months ago  •  124 comments

By:   Opinion by Andy Kessler

Opinion | The Tyranny of Today’s Tipping
"Suddenly, I'm looking at this screen and I'm literally pressing a 20% tip for a burrito," Jung recalls. "I remember thinking, 'This is weird.' You would never expect to pay a tip at a quick service restaurant." Unknown

Few things annoy me more than "the tipping struggles" in America - charts telling me what I should tip on the paper receipt, on the screen as I try to process my credit card and as I try to place an online order.

I decide when and how much to tip based on the service that I receive from the individuals that I interact with at a restaurant.  When I am picking up an order I usually round up to the nearest $ amount or a little more and when something is delivered to my house I consider whether it was on time and the order correct.

When I see labor service fees already included on the bill it definitely lowers the amount I tip.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

T he screen reads: “Add a tip: 18%. 20%. 25%.” For a takeout sack of burgers and soggy fries? C’mon. It takes extra taps to change it to 10% or zero. Instead, we sheepishly tip and feel resentful. Using Internal Revenue Service data, I extrapolate that tipping has almost doubled since 2013, when San Francisco-based Square turned iPads into cash registers with suggested tips.

It’s the American way to show gratitude for a job well done, but tipping has gotten out of hand. It’s become expected. Even required. A Mountain View, Calif., restaurant had a line on its bills: “For parties of 1 or larger, a 18% gratuity is applied automatically.”

Now tips have turned political. Donald Trump recently declared in Nevada: “When I get to office, we are going to not charge taxes on tips.” In 2018 the IRS noted $38 billion in reported tips. Will insurance agents now insist on their pay in tips? Lawyers? Doctors? I’d certainly like my pay as tax-free gratuities.

Nearly five million Americans work for tips. Almost 70% of them are women. But according to a 2023 Bankrate survey, two-thirds of Americans have a negative view of tipping, probably because we’ve been inundated.

Why do we tip? London taverns in the 17th century suggested tipping “To Insure Promptitude.” Now it’s the cheeky “To insure prompt service.” Tipping spread to the U.S. in the 19th century. In 1899 the New York Times called it the “vilest of imported vices.” Probably so. The Pullman Company hired former slaves as porters at low wages. They mainly worked for tips. Wealthy Americans obliged.

Read remainder of article at Opinion | The Tyranny of Today’s Tipping (msn.com)

Red Box Rules

Be civil and present your point of view

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Robert in Ohio    2 months ago

From the article

It’s the American way to show gratitude for a job well done, but tipping has gotten out of hand. It’s become expected. Even required. A Mountain View, Calif., restaurant had a line on its bills: “For parties of 1 or larger, a 18% gratuity is applied automatically.”

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1  evilone  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    2 months ago
It’s the American way to show gratitude for a job well done, but tipping has gotten out of hand. It’s become expected.

It's expected because the business owners have been allowed to pay these service workers less than minimum wage. There's a simple fix for that...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  evilone @1.1    2 months ago

I lived on tips for a decade when the hourly wage for tipped employees was less than half of minimum wage. I know what happens to regulars with a bad tip rep in restaurants. I don't tip counter help and ignore tip jars. it's not my fault the owners of those businesses can't pay a wage that retains employees and depend upon their customers to subsidize their greed. fortunately, I live in a state that now pays servers a full minimum wage, instead of a portion like I got back in the 80's at $2.01 per hour.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    2 months ago

It sounds like you have no earthly idea of what profit an average restaurant makes if you think owners are getting rich by paying less to servers.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    2 months ago

it sounds like you have no earthly idea of what it's like as a server to average $1100+ per night in food and liquor sales weekly, back in the 80's, in a restaurant that had tablecloths...

it was a restaurant where you had to have a personal referral by an employee to get a job there. we were at the forefront of making business policy decades ago that are standard now. one check per table, 15% mandatory gratuity on parties of 6 or more, and credit card info required to make reservations on weekends and holidays.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  evilone @1.1    2 months ago

"It's expected because the business owners have been allowed to pay these service workers less than minimum wage."

That's been the accepted practice since like forever. Most restaurants are privately owned or franchisees, and with today's inflation the profit margins aren't all that great.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.4    2 months ago

privately owned restaurants are a license to print money, with competent management, especially at today's prices.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.6  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.4    2 months ago
That's been the accepted practice since like forever.

And that's why it's a standard practice expect people to tip now.

Most restaurants are privately owned or franchisees, and with today's inflation the profit margins aren't all that great.

The market will self correct the shitty business models out of business eventually. 

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.7  evilone  replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    2 months ago
I live in a state that now pays servers a full minimum wage, instead of a portion like I got back in the 80's at $2.01 per hour.

I frequent the restaurants that pay ALL their staff over minimum wage. While not required all restaurants around here that need help have signs in windows (including McDonald's) advertising starting wages at $17 an hour.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.8  devangelical  replied to  evilone @1.1.7    2 months ago

fast food joints in denver also advertise on their signs. fast food outlets in ski towns during the season really have to step up to the pump if they want to remain open.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.3    2 months ago

Sounds great, but has absolutely nothing to do with my post

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.5    2 months ago
privately owned restaurants are a license to print money, with competent management, especially at today's prices.

Nonsense.

When was the last time you owned or even managed a restaurant?

Do you have ANY idea what the average earnings are for restaurants are in America?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.4    2 months ago
with today's inflation the profit margins aren't all that great.

The margins aren't all that good with or without inflation.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.12  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.10    2 months ago

... almost 40 years. the hours and pay sucked.

ours did $11+ million the last year before corp got out of fine dining.

60/40 cost to profit, with wine and liquor sales doing most of the heavy lifting, or a new GM by next weekend.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.13  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.1.12    2 months ago

and that was in mid 80's money...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.12    2 months ago

Your numbers sound suspect, as that would be over $33 million today, about $90k per day every day of the year. With those numbers, management bonus would have been killer.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @1.1    2 months ago

The place I used to work at, a bagel and deli joint, the tips were tied into our wages of $16 an hour.  It sucks. What is minimum wage now?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.16  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.14    2 months ago

they should, after 40 years I had forgotten we also ran a lunch service the last 2 years. I never worked it, but it cut down on perishable food loss significantly and turned it into pure profit. lunchtime liquor sales sucked though. 

what bonuses? the servers made more than the asst mgrs. the GM was mid 5 figures, but the high school busboys all drove new cars. friday, saturday, sunday nights almost always grossed over $125K combined in the end. liquor and wine sales completely dominated the profit margins.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    2 months ago

That’s bullshit for a party of one.    I can see it for larger parties but that’s about it.    I won’t go to place that adds a tip automatically.

You do a good job, you get a good tip.    A bad job might get tipped a penny. 

Message sent

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @1.2    2 months ago

One thing I liked about New Zealand when I was there. Food service workers considered tipping by ignorant Yanks to be insulting. My very fist time there I was royally chewed out by a waitress when I tried to tip her. Their view is that they work hard for their money and consider tipping as charity. I only made that mistake once. People in this country should follow that philosophy.jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2.1    2 months ago
People in this country should follow that philosophy.

Do waitresses in New Zealand make less than the federal minimum wage?

There's a reason servers aren't tipped there, but are here.  Servers here can legally paid so little that an hour of work won't buy a gallon of milk.

I'd be all for eliminating tipping IF servers here made minimum wage instead of $2.13/hour.  Nobody can or should be expected to survive on that.

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  shona1  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2.1    2 months ago

Morning Ed..yes it is the same here it is frowned upon and regarded as an insult..

The minimum wage here is $23 an hour...and that applies to everyone..from wait staff, to office workers to cleaners....

If an employer does not pay it and are dobbed in then said person/company is hauled before the courts..

Woolies, Coles etc have been fined millions for underpaying their employees..and unions will also step in and black bans can be placed on them..

Yes alot of migrants, back packers get ripped off because they get paid cash in hand and basically don't know their rights, but when found out it is all over the TV.

Here you walk into a shop, any shop and the price is what it is...there are no add on taxes, fees or anything else...

I hear alot of Americans are rather surprised by that when they are here as you have to add on a tax when paying for the item over there? Is that correct?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.4  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @1.2    2 months ago
That’s bullshit for a party of one.

not if you're costing the restaurant an empty chair at your table. got sit at the bar...

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.2.5  shona1  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.2    2 months ago

Morning...here no one would work for that amount of money..even the people on unemployment get $400 a week or more depending on circumstances etc..

The business would never survive nor should it and the media would have a field day..

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.2    2 months ago

The minimum wage in New Zealand in currently $23.15 NZD with exchange in USD equals out to $14.17 USD. That is considered equitable for New Zealand. Australia has the same minimum wage and the same views on tipping as New Zealand. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  shona1 @1.2.5    2 months ago

Funny thing is that the server I was talking about told me the next time I went there that she could tell I was new to her country and chewed me out solely to teach me a lesson so I would not embarrass myself again. The lesson stuck and we became friends. Sadly she was killed in the 2011 Christchurch earthquake.

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.2.8  shona1  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2.7    2 months ago

Actually ours has just gone up..now $24.10..

Yes it not necessary here and regarded as some what of an insult..

That is dreadfully sad she got killed in the earthquake..one reason why I would never live there...those Isles are shaking all the time...pass ..

Thomas
Masters Guide
1.2.9  Thomas  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.2    2 months ago

Some places you need to pay to work there because the tipping is so lucrative

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.10  devangelical  replied to  Thomas @1.2.9    2 months ago
you need to pay to work there because the tipping is so lucrative

you worked your way thru college as a stripper?

Thomas
Masters Guide
1.2.11  Thomas  replied to  devangelical @1.2.10    2 months ago

I never thought to do that... 

I like money, but not all in ones

shona1
Professor Quiet
1.2.12  shona1  replied to  Thomas @1.2.11    2 months ago

You may have missed your calling Thomas..

Thomas
Masters Guide
1.2.13  Thomas  replied to  shona1 @1.2.12    2 months ago

Or not.... (grimace)

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.2.14  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Sparty On @1.2    2 months ago

Sparty

I agree with you wholeheartedly!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.2.15  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  devangelical @1.2.4    2 months ago

Gotta agree with Sparty,, you tack on an extra "service charge" to offset you salary costs, then you will never see me at your restaurant again and I will be spreading the word to others in the area to stay away.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.16  Tessylo  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.2    2 months ago

Nuts isn't it?  A restaurant where I was a hostess for a short while, I made $17 an hour while the waitresses made about as much as you stated, $2.13 an hour, and had to rely on tips.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.17  Tessylo  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1.2.14    2 months ago

Why?  That's a pretty shitty thing to do.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.18  Tessylo  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1.2.15    2 months ago

That's pretty nasty.  Why would you want to put them out of business?

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
1.2.19  Igknorantzruls  replied to  devangelical @1.2.10    2 months ago

is that one of those places where they only let you put the tip in

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.20  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @1.2.4    2 months ago

Thinking folks know that forced tipping standards like that easily cause more empty seats.

Easily.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.21  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.20    2 months ago

basic economics in a busy restaurant. it costs the restaurant the same in labor, front and back of the house, to make half the profit with 1 or 3 wasted chairs. sit at the bar or order it to go if you don't want to pay the fee. better yet, argue with the server and the manager about it before getting your meal served and then take your chances...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.22  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @1.2.21    2 months ago

So no mandatory tipping % at the bar for a party of one eh?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.23  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.2.4    2 months ago

[removed, buy kind] [] of [funny][]

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.24  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.22    2 months ago

better service and if they add a service charge to the bill, add a few dollars to bring it up to 15%. any additional fees on top of food and liquor purchases is a management trick to reduce their staff turnover or to keep out undesirable diners.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.25  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @1.2.24    2 months ago

You didn’t answer the question

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.26  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.2.24    2 months ago
any additional fees on top of food and liquor purchases is a management trick to reduce their staff turnover or to keep out undesirable diners.

Or to help pay for some state-mandated taxes or benefits.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.27  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.23    2 months ago

go figure...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.28  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.2.10    2 months ago

There's this show called Kids In the Hall that just reunited after 35 years on Amazon

There's this one sketch with a 60+ strip club/show

They throw change - lol - 'it adds up, but it hurts'

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.29  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.25    2 months ago

no tip required at drive up windows...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.30  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @1.2.29    2 months ago

Still avoiding the question.

Weak!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.31  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.30    2 months ago

not my problem you don't like the answer. sound familiar?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.32  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @1.2.31    2 months ago

That would be true if you gave a reasonable answer the question but since you haven’t.    It’s just more of the same bullshit we have become accustom to here.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    2 months ago

Good topic Bob, one I'm sure we all think about.

At what point did a tip for good service become an obligation?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.1  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    2 months ago
At what point did a tip for good service become an obligation?

give that 10% tip to the server before ordering a sit down dinner at a nice restaurant next time and find out...

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.3.2  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    2 months ago

Vic

At least for me - it is not an obligation, I tip for good service, I do not use the programmed tipping amounts, I feel no obligation to tip 15% or 20% just because and I only tip where actual service is in play.

I do not tip when someone pulls  handle and fills a paper cup with sprite and hands it to me etc

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.3.3  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  devangelical @1.3.1    2 months ago

Devangelical

And if the service is crappy in my view can I get the tip back from the server?

Do you think?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.4  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.3.1    2 months ago

I can tell who are the shitty tippers around here!  Glad I don't work in the food service industry anymore.  You meet a lot of assholes there.   A lot of decent people too.  You can usually tell who won't tip.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.5  devangelical  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1.3.3    2 months ago

yup. ask for the manager.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.6  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1.3.4    2 months ago
You can usually tell who won't tip.

if they join their hands and bow their heads when the food hits the table, the server is generally fucked...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1.3.3    2 months ago

Myself, I tip solely according to the quality of the service I receive. If a server gives crappy service, they get little or no tip from me. Give me good service an I can tip generously. My late son, who was a restaurant server in his younger days had a outgoing personality with a gift to talk to just about anyone on any level of all ages. By doing so it was not unusual for him to make $100 to $200 a night in tips. This is in a small town but with a fair amount of tourists visiting. He just went out of his way to make his customers happy and be at ease.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.8  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3.7    2 months ago
Myself, I tip solely according to the quality of the service I receive.

Not if they have a mandatory tip.     You tip at least what they tell you to tip.    Regardless of quality of service.    Tips should performance based by the customer experience not arbitrarily assigned by others.    

Good service pays well in tips from all but those cheap pricks who shouldn’t even be there if they, “don’t believe in tipping,”.    I bet we have more than one of those here.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.9  Sparty On  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1.3.2    2 months ago

Yep, same here.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.10  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @1.3.4    2 months ago
I can tell who are the shitty tippers around here!

Doubtful, very doubtful.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.11  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @1.3.6    2 months ago

Bullshit.    Connection missed, completely.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.12  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.3.6    2 months ago
if they join their hands and bow their heads when the food hits the table, the server is generally fucked...

What an ignorant post.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.13  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.3.6    2 months ago

A lot of the ones I could tell had some money also.  They're the ones who bring their kids and let the fucking brats run amuck and make a goddamned mess - like the mom said to them - make as much mess as you possibly can - that low wage earner can clean up after us.  I used to complain all the time about these entitled fucks and you just know they have nannies at home and housekeepers to clean up after their nasty asses.  So glad I don't work in food service anymore.  Sucks.  The customer is not always right.  

This is my working life after a pretty nice job at the University.  My unemployment is being held up right now due to fact finding - moved around to four different food service jobs after leaving the University and they pretty much all sucked.  Giant in the bakery.  A sit-down restaurant that was decent pay but they cut my hours and when I said I couldn't live on those hours and was looking for something else, they said they'd give me the hours.  A short while at Sonic.  Over a year at the bagel and deli joint and let go over customer complaints.  I was almost glad.  I have some retirement funds that I am living on while looking for work and have appliled for Social Security to start in four months and that was approved thank goodness.  I don't think I could take anymore bad news about my employment status right now but I'm not destitute, again, thank goodness.  So many others are not doing so well.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.14  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1.3.13    2 months ago
the ones who bring their kids and let the fucking brats run amuck and make a goddamned mess

we rarely had that problem because we didn't have a children's menu. if they sat in a chair, they paid full fare.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3.15  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @1.3.8    2 months ago

"Not if they have a mandatory tip."

My town is small enough with a 13,000 people population that would never fly here. Agua Prieta, Sonora just across the border has a 100,000 population and many come here to Arizona to eat and shop, especially at the Walmart Super Center here. Most businesses here do not want to risk losing them.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.16  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3.15    2 months ago

My area is a little bigger.    About 140k in our metropolitan area.    Places have tried it here.    To my knowledge all have failed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    2 months ago

Not knowing about tipping on my first arrival in China almost 18 years ago I told the cab driver to "Keep the change" and he thought I was nuts, tried to give me the change.  People don't tip here, and nobody expects it. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
2  charger 383    2 months ago

Tipping has gotten way out of hand 

If I give something extra I want something extra for it

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @2    2 months ago

Like what?

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    2 months ago

looks like were back to strip clubs in this thread too...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    2 months ago

Decent and friendly service should be a priority.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    2 months ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif I know what charger means though, a bit, over tipping getting out of hand.

Places like the one where I just left SHOULDN'T rely on tips from customers being tied to their hourly wage.  Bad enough you cannot get 40 hours and get benefits.  They fuck you over every way possible.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.2    2 months ago

No shit

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.3    2 months ago

no cost conscious restaurants have 40 hour employees, except for the managers...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @2.1.5    2 months ago

I know.  Then those managers work way more than 40 hours a week.  

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3  seeder  Robert in Ohio    2 months ago

I am usually a fair tipper and I have been known to give large tips when particularly happy with excellent service in a restaurant.

I find that service in mom and pop shops is usually much more deserving of tips than in chain businesses.

I do not tip when "staff service charge" or similar charges are already on the bill

I have been known to leave a substantially small tip in return for exceptionally poor service - and I usually tell the service person what the problem was in such a situation.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  Robert in Ohio @3    2 months ago
I do not tip when "staff service charge" or similar charges are already on the bill

we included a 15% gratuity on parties of 6 or more which was disclosed and agreed to when booking the reservation, and clearly noted on the table check. however, the person making the reservation usually wasn't the person paying the bill, and a lot of times an additional tip appeared on the credit card slip or cash was left on the table. servers called that hitting the daily double.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
4  seeder  Robert in Ohio    2 months ago

When do you tip and when do you not ?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Robert in Ohio @4    2 months ago

I tip when I eat at a restaurant with table service, or when I get takeout from one of those restaurants, since they're getting paid less than minimum wage even if they're filling takeout orders.  I generally tip 20% or more.

I tip for delivery when I have food delivered, but that's pretty rare, since I live so far out that only one restaurant delivers to my house.  Again, 20%, or substantially more if it's bad weather. 

I've heard too much bad stuff about Doordash, so I don't use them.  I only order delivery from restaurants that hire their own drivers.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1    2 months ago
I only order delivery from restaurants that hire their own drivers.

That's getting harder and harder to find these days. Out here in Phoenix the majority of food deliveries are no longer employees of the restaurant but Doordash and the associated companies. Pizza Hut went on record several months back (almost a year i think) by stating it was much cheaper for them to partner with Doordash then to have their own employees for delivery. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.1    2 months ago

Here, too, with some pretty unhappy Facebook posts being aimed at Doordash and other delivery services.  A locally-owned delivery service made the mistake of roasting their customers on social media, and I think they went out of business shortly thereafter.  I think Pizza Hut still hires a driver, but I live too far out for them.  Same with Domino's.  The local mom and pop pizza place delivers, and hires their own drivers.  When my son was still living at home, I think their cars could find their way to our house without driver input, but since he moved out, they're not at our house very much.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.3  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.2    2 months ago
since he moved out, they're not at our house very much

he lives across town in that house behind a mountain of pizza boxes and styrofoam food containers now?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  devangelical @4.1.3    2 months ago

No, in a college town south of here, in a house behind a mountain of pizza boxes and Styrofoam food containers. 

Nah, once he was buying his own food, he figured out pretty quickly that Aldi's is a lot less expensive than takeout.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.5  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.4    2 months ago

the grocery store I go to has a sushi island with real asians making sushi in it. pretty impressive for gooberville...

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
4.1.6  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1    2 months ago
I tip when I eat at a restaurant with table service,

Regardless of the quality of the "service"?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.1    2 months ago

Living down here in Douglas on the border, we have Doordash but it is fairly small scale. Total population here is only 13,000. Only two large scale restaurants in town with a lot of small mom & pop type food joints. Some use Doordash but most do not. Pizza Hut here still uses it's own drivers. Doordash in Douglas is fairly cutthroat among the drivers because of low population density.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.8  devangelical  replied to  Robert in Ohio @4.1.6    2 months ago

here's a few hints robert. bad service in fine dining experience restaurants is extremely rare because that job is coveted due to the earning potential. restaurants that feature fine dining experiences don't need to advertise on any media to stay busy and be successful. cookie cutter concept national restaurant chains are not fine dining. tablecloths with full china, all the silverware, including a wine glass and water goblet setting, are fine dining ...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @4.1.8    2 months ago

BINGO.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @4.1.8    2 months ago

I couldn't afford to eat at such establishments.  I bet some of the folks complaining about tipping here couldn't either

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.11  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.10    2 months ago

I'm just enjoying watching some people try to justify why they never tip correctly, if at all, regardless. they're the reason why most states are boosting wages and making minimum wage laws applicable to tipped employees.

waiting tables for a living was the hardest job I ever had, and paid the least for the efforts. it was mentally and physically demanding and required many skills to be successful. I ran my ass off for 7 hours a night, 5 nights a week. I would walk 5+ miles and lose 2+ pounds every night. I never left the dining room for the kitchen/bar unless I had orders for 3 tables, and never left the kitchen/bar unless my tray had stuff on it for 3 tables.

I tipped the hell out of my busboys and the bartenders, and got anything I wanted before anyone else. while everyone else gagged down the employee meal (turkey, mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables, every day the entire 10 years I worked there) before the shift, I got a prime rib or steak sandwich after we closed from the broiler chef I also tipped. I never had to wait for my entrees at the pickup line.

I cruised thru the waiting area/overflow lounge on friday and saturday nights looking for my call parties (previous customers that had requested the server by name when making the reservation) and I comped their drinks. I treated my regulars like the most important persons in the restaurant and they threw money at me. I rarely waited on customers that I didn't already know by name, and their drink of choice, on those 2 nights the last few years I worked there. every weekend was like being surrounded by your friends, that all knew each other, and rotated every weekend.

it was the most successful outlet in a chain of corp owned restaurants across the US in major cities, even when denver was considered hicksville back then. the place was always crawling with corporate suits trying to figure out how we we were doing it and they eventually started running their GM candidates thru it. it was a very fun job that taught me people skills, sales and time management, and I gained some friends that I still have today. one of which was the last GM I worked with that I considered the best P&L guy in the business.

I found myself there and capitalized on what I had learned by repeating it throughout the rest of my working life. unfortunately, working there also totally wrecked me for several years to go into any restaurant that didn't meet the standard of service that I had set for myself.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @4.1.11    2 months ago

You're awesome...and it's awesome watching you kick the asses of your constant and incessant detractors with the truth and experience 

I was thrown into this late in my life - working life - and it's been a bumpy ride but things are looking up

I wasn't meant for food/customer service.  Not a good fit - lol

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.12    2 months ago

It's hard to teach this old dog new tricks - especially the ones she doesn't want to learn . . .

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Robert in Ohio @4    2 months ago

There’s a microbrewery I go to about once a week, where I have a couple pours and decide what to bring home for my snobby beer stash.  The suggested tip amount is always based on the total bill, even though the majority of the bill is for take out beer - thus making me do extra math in my head, since there’s no way in hell I’m tipping you for handing me a four pack from the fridge.  That would be like tipping the cashier at the grocery store.  I’m actually surprised that hasn’t become a thing yet.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
4.2.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.2    2 months ago
since there’s no way in hell I’m tipping you for handing me a four pack from the fridge.

Absolutely correct!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Robert in Ohio @4    2 months ago

I tip waiters & waitresses in restaurants usually between 10 and 20% depending on service.

I tip $5 for delivery (Chinese or Pizza)

I tip 25% or more if I use a taxi or limo.

And the tip is always in cash even if I pay for everything else by Credit Card.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.3.1  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.3    2 months ago

less than 15% for basic table service is an insult...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.3    2 months ago

One thing many don't know is that it is a pretty standard practice for restaurants to charge the server whatever percentage the credit card processor charges the restaurant. Most also charge the servers a percentage of their sales as "tip out" that is usually split among bussers and bartenders, whether there is a tip on that sale or not. So if you pay with a credit or debit card and leave no tip at all, the server will actually be losing money by waiting on you. They will also be losing money if you pay in cash and leave no tip. And just about all POS systems automatically claim all credit or debit card tips for the server when they clock out. In most high volume restaurants, servers never get a paycheck outside of their training one, because the taxes on their claimed credit tips eats their hourly wage up. In most every state a party can refuse to pay an added gratuity on a check whether it is restaurant policy or not. State laws vary, of course.

Thomas
Masters Guide
4.3.3  Thomas  replied to  devangelical @4.3.1    2 months ago

I think that depends on location. 

In my neck of the woods there is no delivery. 

When I was a kid, around here 10% was considered fair for good service. 

Then it went up to 15% and now they EXPECT to get 20% for minimal service. Hey, man. I gotta live too.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.3.4  devangelical  replied to  Thomas @4.3.3    2 months ago

I averaged maybe 12% overall, even along with the tables that had a gratuity added. I wrote it off then as most people being too stupid to calculate 15% of a total, and just falling back to 10%. there were no cell phones with calculator widgets back then. substandard tips are a fact of life in the biz and it's those customers that have ever had to work for tips that exceed the average.

I vividly recall some bi-fold cards that looked like a folded up twenty from a few feet away with a scripture verse printed on the inside in the 80's. I received those a few times, and found one I had kept in the back of a drawer a few years ago. some people belong in fast food restaurants, that have a tip jar ...

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
4.3.5  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  devangelical @4.3.1    2 months ago

less than 15% for basic table service is an insult...

Sometimes the level and quality of table service is an insult

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.3.6  devangelical  replied to  Robert in Ohio @4.3.5    2 months ago

chain restaurants that exhibit lackluster front of the house service usually aren't considered fine dining and likely have a high turnover and/or extremely poor management.

stick to places that feature a hundred chicken entrees, steaks that were beat to death on the menu, and servers bubbling over with fake personality...

you get what you pay for.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.4  Split Personality  replied to  Robert in Ohio @4    2 months ago

I prefer to pick up take out and most of it is only a few minutes away.  I never tip them.

The pizza people are treated very fairly 20% in cash (combat pay for wading through a dozen sometimes hostile geese)

We have had several outstanding years financially and vastly improved the property and home.  We, especially my Hispanish wife, are very generous with laborers, often to their shocked surprise.

The wife firmly believes that good karma will come back to us when we need it the most. 

So far so good.

shona1
Professor Quiet
4.4.1  shona1  replied to  Split Personality @4.4    2 months ago

Arvo split..I do the same when it comes to tradies..plumbers, electricians etc...

If you pay cash they often give you a discount or if the invoice comes to $420 I round it off and give them $450 and tell them to go buy a coffee etc for them and the guys..

They appreciate it and it creates good will..to the extent a plumber fixed the down pipes on the shed the other week...while there he noticed the gutters needed cleaning out so he just went ahead and did that for me..he told me just as he was leaving...I was very thankful and he just said..no worries...

shona1
Professor Quiet
4.4.2  shona1  replied to  Split Personality @4.4    2 months ago

Maybe the delivery driver should go armed with a roasting dish and a photo..

Not my photo..

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.4.3  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @4.4    2 months ago

some loudmouth goober decided during the dinner rush to deride me in front of his guests on a table of 8 for bringing him a draft beer without 2 inches of foam on top, before they had ordered dinner.

"take this back to the bar and tell the bartender to put a head on it! " ... yes sir!

no bartender needed...

shona1
Professor Quiet
4.4.4  shona1  replied to  devangelical @4.4.3    2 months ago

I am afraid that feral would have been wearing the beer...

I would go well in customer relations..😁

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.4.5  devangelical  replied to  shona1 @4.4.4    2 months ago

it was a high end dinner house, so I got to witness all forms of lowlife debauchery among their distinct clientele...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.4.6  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @4.4.3    2 months ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.4.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Split Personality @4.4    2 months ago

Same with me. My town is so small I can drive across in 10 minutes or less. Depends  on if I use the back roads or not and avoid the traffic lights.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    2 months ago

I wasnt going to comment on this, but then I saw this completely ridiculous paragraph

In 2018 the IRS noted $38 billion in reported tips. Will insurance agents now insist on their pay in tips? Lawyers? Doctors? I’d certainly like my pay as tax-free gratuities.

As noted in another comment, this "inundation" of tipping is because people at "takeout places" are not paid enough, although that is slowly changing in some states. 

Business in general is more than happy to have the public subsidize their wages to their employees. 

Are insurance agents or doctors or lawyers chronically underpaid ?   This is not really a serious article. 

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell @5    2 months ago

John

I agree with your point

Perhaps you could get past the nitpicked minutia and comment on the subject of the article

Tipping - for it or against it?  how much for good service?  how much for bad service?  fast food restaurants?.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6  sandy-2021492    2 months ago
I’d certainly like my pay as tax-free gratuities.

This part is a bit more nuanced than the author would like for us to believe.  Tips are taxable.  Cash tips may not be reported, and therefore don't get taxed (although they should), but when you sign that credit card receipt, your server's tips will be recorded, reported, and taxed.

Which is why a lot of people say you should tip in cash only.  I suppose there's something to be said for that, but that server will then have a lower income to report for Social Security, and will draw less in Social Security when they retire.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6    2 months ago

I was waiting tables when the tip/tax credit became law. since I was required to be my own IRS agent every shift I worked, I only reported credit card tips. that cash tip left to me had already been taxed as earnings from the person that left it.

Thomas
Masters Guide
6.1.1  Thomas  replied to  devangelical @6.1    2 months ago

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    2 months ago

If I sit down and have table service I tip, if not then I don’t.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1  devangelical  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7    2 months ago

ezpz. I might leave a buck or two in the tip jar for counter service if I see that the crew has their shit together and are efficient.

The Chad
Freshman Silent
8  The Chad    2 months ago

I don't eat out often because i follow a very niche diet,  but when I do, I always tip 20%. I waited tables in College and it's a miserable job.  If you doordash, you should tip, otherwise get your lazy ass in the car and go get it yourself.

I've heard every excuse why people don't want to tip, my advise is stay at home then. When being served by other people the morally right decision is to part ways with money to pay for it.

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
9  Igknorantzruls    2 months ago

I often tip cows

The Chad
Freshman Silent
9.1  The Chad  replied to  Igknorantzruls @9    2 months ago

Are there a lot of obese escorts?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.2  Tessylo  replied to  Igknorantzruls @9    2 months ago

Silly goose