╌>

What Trump’s Kamala Harris Smear Reveals

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  hallux  •  3 months ago  •  29 comments

By:   Adam Serwer - The Atlantic

What Trump’s Kamala Harris Smear Reveals
The former president is suggesting that Harris became Black only when it was obvious that being Black conferred social advantage.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The   first iteration of birtherism   was a synthesis of conservative ideology aimed at the first Black president, Barack Obama. It said that immigrants and nonwhite people had usurped the birthright of real Americans, who were white, and inverted the natural hierarchy of the nation.

The second iteration of birtherism, directed at Kamala Harris, who would be America’s second Black president, is similarly ideological. But it tells a different story, one in which Black identity confers an unfair advantage over white people—an advantage that is doubly unfair for Harris to seize because she is not truly Black.

This is what Donald Trump meant when he smeared Harris during an appearance at the National Association of Black Journalists’ convention on Wednesday. “I didn’t know she was Black until a number of years ago when she happened to turn Black, and now she wants to be known as Black. So I don’t know, is she Indian or is she Black?” Trump said.

The first thing to understand is that Trump’s professed ignorance is a lie. Harris was identified in   news reports   as the first Black woman to become a district attorney in California back in 2003, when she won office in San Francisco. Trump   donated to Harris twice in 2011 and 2014 , during her campaign for attorney general of California, around the time she was being   touted as “the female Obama”   precisely because she is Black. In 2020, a Trump campaign spokesperson   pointed to those donations   as proof that Trump was not racist, saying, “I’ll note that Kamala Harris is a Black woman and he donated to her campaign, so I hope we can squash this racism argument now.” Harris did not recently become Black; Trump recently decided to pretend to be confused about it.

But the attack is also a smear, because Harris has never hidden her background as the child of an Afro-Jamaican father and an Indian mother, having gone to the historically Black Howard University and joined a Black sorority. I suspect that this attack emerges out of a place of fear and desperation. Trump is afraid that he is running against the second coming of Obama, rath er than the aging white man he had  built his campaign around defeating .

Conservatives have attacked virtually every Black person who has risen to public prominence in the past few years as a “DEI hire”—that is, as someone who was given their status rather than earning it. Now, it bears repeating that this narrative is false, that Black and white working- and middle-class Americans have more interests in common than in conflict, and that demagogues like Trump have used this kind of racial division to facilitate the upward redistribution of economic and political power for centuries.

Trump’s attack on Harris is meant to evoke this worldview, in which Black advancement is a kind of liberal conspiracy to deprive white people of what is rightfully theirs. Trump is saying that Harris became Black only when it was obvious that being Black conferred social advantage. Trump stumbled at NABJ after he declared that immigrants were stealing “Black jobs” and the hosts asked him to explain what a “Black job” was, but in context it is fairly clear. Black jobs are high-effort and low-wage, while white jobs include things like being president. Everyone in their place.

Trump’s smear of Harris is also an accusation of racial disloyalty—that she was ashamed of being Black until it was politically convenient. Racial treason is something Trump finds particularly offensive. He has begun  referring to  Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, who is Jewish, as “Palestinian,” doubly racist in that it turns  Palestinian  into an epithet and castigates a Jewish man for being insufficiently loyal to his own people. The idea that liberal Jews are not truly Jewish operates similarly to Trump’s attack on Harris, in that it gives the speaker permission to attack a Jewish target in anti-Semitic terms because the target is not “truly” Jewish. Attacking Harris in racist terms, under this logic, is not racist, because she is not “truly” Black. The point of this rhetorical maze is simply to justify racist attacks on a particular target while deflecting accusations of bigotry.

There is of course nothing unusual about Black Americans being of mixed or Caribbean heritage: The Black Nationalist leader  Malcolm X , with his red hair and Grenadian-born mother,  was both . Chattel slavery, which existed longer on this continent than the United States has existed, was a form of systematized rape in which white men who publicly advertised their deeply Christian piety ran slave-labor camps filled with their own children. As the southern white aristocrat Mary Chesnut wrote in her diary, “God forgive us but ours is a monstrous system and wrong and iniquity … Like the patriarchs of old, our men live all in one house with their wives and their concubines, and the mulattoes one sees in every family exactly resemble the white children.” Some of the dimmer  conservatives on the internet have suggested  that being descended from slave owners makes a person not Black; you have to wonder if these people are capable of counting to 10 on their fingers.

Historically in America, white identity has been defined by the completely unscientific concept of racial purity, the most infamous example being the “one-drop rule” that labeled anyone with African ancestry as Black. As a result, Black American identity has long been inclusive and expansive.

“White friends, Black people do not all look alike,” the legendary Black comedian Redd Foxx told   the audience at   The Flip Wilson Show   in 1974 . “It is   you   who all look alike. I’m gonna prove it. White friends, look all around the room. All the whites look at each other. All of y’all are just white. Now look at us, all different colors. Black walnut. Burnt almond. Chocolate. Chocolate mocha. Pecan. Vanilla. Yella, mella, light bright and damn near white!” Foxx was describing the live audience at the show, but he might have been describing many Black family reunions.

If Foxx’s joke is a funny inversion of a racist stereotype, it also gets at the tragic origins of Black American identity. Trump’s attempt to say that a Black woman with a non-Black parent cannot be Black is an imposition of the concept of racial purity on a culture that does not share it.

I wish I could say that any of this is new. In fact, it is all emblematic of how much the racist politics of the past remain with us. The worldview behind the “DEI hire” smear is one that conceives of Black people as incapable of rising on their own merits but instead achieving only at other people’s expense. Even attacking Harris as not really Black is a way to diminish her success by suggesting that a “real” Black person would be incapable of reaching such heights without unjust assistance.

In 1865, the abolitionist Frederick Douglass—whose owner before he escaped bondage was likely his father—described a dynamic that is jarring in its familiarity: Black people are defined as “not Black” the moment they escape the conceptual prison of racist stereotype.

“When prejudice cannot deny the black man’s ability, it denies his race, and claims him as a white man. It affirms that if he is not exactly white, he ought to be. If not what he ought to be in this particular, he owes whatever intelligence he possesses to the white race by contract or association,” Douglass said. “They are treated as exceptions, individual cases, and the like. They contend that the race, as such, is destitute of the subjective original elemental condition of a high self-originating and self-sustaining civilization.” This contention, which is of course a rationalization, is necessary to preserve a racist conception of Black people as inherently limited compared with white people. The moment they show themselves to be intelligent and capable, they cease to be Black, because racists define Blackness as the absence of such capabilities. It was just last week, after Harris announced her candidacy, that Republican leaders were pleading with their own membership to stop attacking her with the   same racist stereotypes   about Black people that they had wielded against Obama.

In Douglass’s case, any insistence by his racist critics that he was not truly a Black person was soon contradicted by their behavior. We know they saw him as a Black person, because they treated him as one. The same is ultimately true of how Trumpists treat Harris.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 months ago

By the end of August or sooner, it will be too late to pivot.

GregTx
Professor Guide
1.1  GregTx  replied to  Hallux @1    3 months ago

I think you're also overestimating Kamala.....

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  GregTx @1.1    3 months ago

I have met her, that's not a mistake I would make.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2  Just Jim NC TttH    3 months ago

He isn’t wrong 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2    3 months ago

I see nothing wrong with taking advantage of one's ancestry.  My father was Russian and my mother Ukrainian, (they met and married in Canada where I was born), and I consider that to be the reason I refuse to take sides in that conflict.  On the other hand, I very much side with Israel in its conflict (but not with Netanyahu).  As for Harris, more power to her because of her ancestral diversity.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
2.2  Nerm_L  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2    3 months ago
He isn’t wrong 

The counter argument that did not gain traction was that Kamala Harris is not just Black.  That effort failed because the Black population doesn't intend to share its political advantages.  

Trump, in his boorish manner, recognizes a weakness but fails to take advantage.  Kamala Harris is NOT African American.  The distinction between Black and African American does pose a divisive threat to racial politics.  As usual politicians are kicking to avoid confronting the issue.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Nerm_L @2.2    3 months ago
Trump, in his boorish manner, recognizes a weakness but fails to take advantage.  Kamala Harris is NOT African American.  The distinction between Black and African American does pose a divisive threat to racial politics.  As usual politicians are kicking to avoid confronting the issue.

if only there was a color deck, a quick reference symbol, or some letters/numbers tattooed on them ... /s

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.2  JBB  replied to  devangelical @2.2.1    3 months ago

Or, maybe make up stupid names for what percentage of black black people are like "quadroon" or "octaroon". Yikes, Hold Up!

This whole discussion is cringe and completely out of touch.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @2.2.2    3 months ago
Or, maybe make up stupid names for what percentage of black black people

Exactly, make up stupid names like white, black,  brown.

This whole discussion is cringe and completely out of touch.

This whole discussion of race is cringe and completely unscientific.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.4  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.3    3 months ago

Who knows what makes MAGA such racial throwbacks? 

original

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.2.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @2.2.4    3 months ago

Who knows what makes anyone believe in race.

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.2.6  seeder  Hallux  replied to  devangelical @2.2.1    3 months ago
if only there was a color deck

There is always V.S. Naipaul's quote from 'Middle Passage' ... “The West Indian accepted his blackness as his guilt, and divided people into the white, fusty, musty, dusty, tea, coffees, cocoa, light black, black and dark black. He never seriously doubted the validity of the prejudices from which he suffered, for he had inherited the prejudices of the culture to which he aspired.”

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.7  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @2.2.6    3 months ago

the literary history is lost on your target market, but that's a pretty good selection of shades of brown names. punch it up with a few really racist names and there would probably be some regional marketability. an afternoon of cut, paste, and print off some big box and paint stores and some basic ordered accessories, boom, you're in business online. lucky for you klan sites are cheap advertising for hitting your targeted consumer. remember to keep the pricing of your goods one penny under $5, $10, and $20...

CB
Professor Principal
2.2.8  CB  replied to  Nerm_L @2.2    3 months ago
That effort failed because the Black population doesn't intend to share its political advantages. . . Kamala Harris is NOT African American.  The distinction between Black and African American does pose a divisive threat to racial politics. 

Published online 2012 Feb 23.   doi:  10.1186/1471-2148-12-24
PMCID:   PMC3299582
PMID:   22360861

Interdisciplinary approach to the demography of Jamaica

The African Diaspora in the New World provides the unique opportunity to understand the demographic stresses imposed on those forcibly relocated during the trans-Atlantic slave trade. Of the estimated ten million people captured in Africa between the 16 th  and 19 th  centuries by European powers, just fewer than nine million survived the harrowing Middle Passage across the Atlantic [ 1 ]. Detailed historical records and accounts have been synthesized over the past 50 years, allowing for valuable demographic reconstructions of various populations by period and particular region of origin. The vast majority of Africans arriving in the British America were enslaved as plantation labourers--a result of growing economic demand in Europe for agricultural luxuries such as sugar and tobacco. By the abolition of slave importation in the British Empire in 1807, roughly 2.6 million people had been uprooted and relocated to British America [ 1 ].

The island of Jamaica was sparsely inhabited by indigenous sea faring peoples when it was established as a Spanish settlement in 1509. These peoples either fled the island or were eradicated by the time of the English conquest of Jamaica in 1655, the result of forced labour and European diseases imposed by the Spanish [ 2 ]. Due to its lack of precious metals, the Spanish sparsely populated the island and only minimally invested in light agriculture and livestock. In 1612 and 1613, the only documented African slaves arrived on the island under the Spanish crown--503 in total [ 1 ].

The English, however, were quick to establish intensive slave labour sugar plantations similar to those already proving profitable on the nearby British colony of Barbados. The economy of Jamaica diversified over time, with coffee and pimento eventually joining sugar as agricultural exports [ 3 ]. An estimated 927,000 slaves disembarked from Africa on the island between 1655 and the successful abolition of the slave trade in 1807 [ 1 ]; however, in an estimate of slave numbers made in 1808, the population only numbered 354,000. By the abolition of chattel slavery in 1834, the population dropped further to 311,070 [ 3 ]. T he result of a number of demographic and health related scenarios, the obvious disparities in these values indicate an environment not conducive to reproduction with replacement in the slave population of Jamaica.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2    3 months ago

He isn't right.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @2.3    3 months ago

Maybe in your world. In reality, yes he is. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.4  TᵢG  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2    3 months ago
He isn’t wrong 

Defending the indefensible.

The first thing to understand is that Trump’s professed ignorance is a lie. Harris was identified in   news reports   as the first Black woman to become a district attorney in California back in 2003, when she won office in San Francisco. Trump   donated to Harris twice in 2011 and 2014 , during her campaign for attorney general of California, around the time she was being   touted as “the female Obama”   precisely because she is Black. In 2020, a Trump campaign spokesperson   pointed to those donations   as proof that Trump was not racist, saying, “I’ll note that Kamala Harris is a Black woman and he donated to her campaign, so I hope we can squash this racism argument now.” Harris did not recently become Black; Trump recently decided to pretend to be confused about it. But the attack is also a smear, because Harris has never hidden her background as the child of an Afro-Jamaican father and an Indian mother, having gone to the historically Black Howard University and joined a Black sorority. I suspect that this attack emerges out of a place of fear and desperation. Trump is afraid that he is running against the second coming of Obama, rath er than the aging white man he had  built his campaign around defeating .

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    3 months ago

I have known a number of Indian - Americans and Kamala Harris definitely does not look 100% Indian heritage.  This whole "controversy" is ridiculous. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 months ago

I agree with that.  I had Indian clients and you would not know they were Indian until they spoke. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 months ago

[deleted][]

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4  Snuffy    3 months ago

Personally I think Trump is just shooting himself in the foot (and perhaps his mouth as well) by doing this. I don't know of a lot of people who are really concerned with her racial heritage. She is who she is, had a mother and a father who birthed and raised her. That's not a winning argument against her.

He would be much better served to keep showing her flip-flops on policy from her comments and support just months ago to what the campaign is now saying her policy is. This is what needs to be shown to voters. Right now, IMO she's running the same basic campaign that Biden ran in 2020 as she's campaigning as a moderate AND she's not meeting with the press to actually answer questions. I think if she starts having to actually stand in front of reporters and answer questions, the wheels will come off the campaign.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @4    3 months ago

Trump continues to make a fine case that he is irrational.

This attack on Harris' ethnicity is profoundly stupid.   

Adding stupid to stupid, Trump also recently brutally attacked —in a 10 minute rant— in Georgia the popular Republican governor of that state.

Hard to see any political advantage to Trump for these acts.   

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    3 months ago

The comments above are like something from a time warp. Like what you would expect to hear at an all white old folks home in Mississippi!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    3 months ago
But the attack is also a smear, because Harris has never hidden her background as the child of an Afro-Jamaican father and an Indian mother, having gone to the historically Black Howard University and joined a Black sorority. I suspect that this attack emerges out of a place of fear and desperation. Trump is afraid that he is running against the second coming of Obama, rath er than the aging white man he had  built his campaign around defeating .

He never said Obama wasn't black and he's only half-black. His mother was white and his dad black.

Hallux
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Trout Giggles @6    3 months ago

Trump is only half-white ... but then so is his other half and that makes him palatable porridge. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    3 months ago

Kamala has always been clearly black, so I’m pretty sure she’s not faking it.

On the other hand, I do remember when Trump was suddenly Christian and suddenly Republican.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @7    3 months ago

Someone should look into that

lol

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @7.1    3 months ago

If only!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  JohnRussell    3 months ago

Trump and one of his young nutcase mini -me's dancing to YMCA. 

(3) Adam Kinzinger (Slava Ukraini) on X: "Wow" / X