╌>

Tim Walz is a car guy — and works on his own 1979 Scout SUV. Will it help him with voters?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  one month ago  •  100 comments

By:   By Daniel Miller

Tim Walz is a car guy — and works on his own 1979 Scout SUV. Will it help him with voters?

Photo: Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz kicks back in his International Harvester Scout II with his aptly named dog, Scout. (Courtesy of Tim Walz)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In 2007, when Tim Walz was a freshman congressman, he told a reporter that his dream car was a 1973 Chevrolet Camaro, noting, “I’m kind of a muscle-car guy.” What he was   actually   driving was a more staid choice: a Dodge minivan.

But a year after that   interview with the Hill, the self-professed car guy bought a vehicle that is now making headlines and has come to define the vice presidential candidate’s I’m-from-a-small-town, Minnesota-dad vibe: a 1979 International Harvester Scout II.

The choice impresses people like Brandon Ray, a 48-year-old fellow Scout II owner from Phoenix. As Ray tells it, he’d just gone through a divorce 15 years ago when a “bad-ass” yellow Scout II caught his eye. The SUV bore two decals: One said, “Face your fears,” the other, “Live your dream.” He bought the Scout.

“It did what it said it was gonna do,” Ray said. “I faced my fears and lived some of my dreams in that truck.”

News that Walz owns a 1979 Scout II came as a surprise to Ray. “I just don’t picture a blue guy driving a f— Scout,” he said, referencing Walz’s Democratic affiliation.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2F5f%2F40%2F51a2eff940b3a984c382fc8330b4%2F1471560-me-waltz-car-guy-scout13.jpg

Walz’s International Harvester Scout II has a license plate referencing his “One Minnesota” political slogan. (Courtesy of Tim Walz)

Cars and politics have long mixed. With exhortations to “buy American,” presidents have almost always favored rides from U.S. automakers. That includes President Biden, who cherishes his   1967 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray.

Amid Walz’s whirlwind journey to the national political stage, his car credentials have become part of his story. Notably, a 2018 video of   Walz admonishing Ford   over a low-quality headlight harness has resurfaced to the delight of gearheads.

The teacher-turned-Minnesota governor   wrenches on cars   and goes to   classic auto shows,   too. But the most obvious part of his pistons-and-pushrods persona is his Scout.

For years, Walz, 60, has taken to social media to share photographs of his Scout, which is   painted an arresting glacier blue   and sports a license plate that reads “ONE MN,” an apparent reference to his   “One Minnesota”   political slogan. Of the many American classics still roaming the roads, the Scout is one imbued with particular meaning.

The Scout was produced in Fort Wayne, Ind., by International Harvester from 1960 to 1980 in multiple guises spread across two generations, known as I and II. It is among the quirkiest of the vintage SUVs that have become popular in recent years.

The Scout wasn’t made by a familiar automotive brand: International Harvester was a Chicago-based farm equipment company that shut down  about 40 years ago.

That has made the Scout less recognizable to the Instagram set — and more appealing to enthusiasts looking for a deal at a time when vintage Ford Broncos often sell for  more than $100,000.  The Scout, said Randy Nonnenberg, cofounder of the automotive auction platform Bring a Trailer, has “always been an underdog.”

With its boxy body, chrome grille, round headlights and  removable or soft top,  it is practical, charming and not too flashy. “Scouts are very Midwest, which is very on-brand” for Walz, said Nonnenberg, whose company has auctioned 285 Scout IIs at an average price of about $38,000. “It’s kind of like the vehicle version of him.

No ‘garage queen’

Walz appears to have a genuine passion for cars, but he also seems to possess a finely calibrated understanding of how his actions may play with voters, said Matt Hardigree, publisher of the Autopian, which   has written about the politician.

Just take the governor’s social media posts featuring   his Scout and another Scout   — his dog. That, Hardigree said, “is an unhateable image.”

“It is Norman Rockwell transported 50 years into the future,” he said.

[Article contines at original site ]

Red Box Rules

Using "whaddaboudisms" may result in penalties . .. 

(Often without warning!)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    one month ago

Hardigree, a former Texas political consultant, said that a truck has long been a requirement to get elected in that state.

“The sense [in Texas] was you couldn’t get elected as a Democrat or a Republican if you didn’t own a pickup truck,” he said. “But the Republicans never had to prove they drove a truck, and the Democrats always did.”

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1    one month ago

The first time I was in Texas I learned not only that a pickup truck was a required asset, but it had to have that box across the bed just behind the cab, in which one could keep their rifles, among other necessary tools to prove their Texas identity.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    one month ago

In a twist, the Scout is coming back, with a new model expected by 2026. The 4x4 is being revived by Volkswagen, which acquired its trademark in 2021.

The new car will feature styling that harks back to the original. But it won’t be like the Scout that Walz drives in one important way, adopting technology whose proponents Trump has urged to “ROT IN HELL.”

It’ll be electric.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2    one month ago

A Scout of the future.

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    one month ago

All Harris and Walz need to do is just not be weird... 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  JBB @3    one month ago
All Harris and Walz need to do is just not be weird...

Its amazing-- that its come to that!

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.1  JBB  replied to  Krishna @3.1    one month ago

MAGA are being Stooges. Let them...

original Trump keeps hitting himself with The Dumbhammer!

original

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
4  MonsterMash    one month ago

He's an army veteran, he's a loyal husband and father, he's a teacher, and HS football coach. He's a car guy, he hunts and owns guns. He's a home spun down to earth guy.

Who is this amazing man? It's TIMMY WALTZ ! all American boy !  Rah....Rah....Rah

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MonsterMash @4    one month ago

...and a dog owner.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    one month ago

original

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.2  MonsterMash  replied to  JBB @4.1.1    one month ago

[deleted][]

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.3  JBB  replied to  MonsterMash @4.1.2    one month ago

There you go! MAGA just lost a bunch more women's votes!

Please keep MAGA Misogyny turned up to the max till 11-5...

original

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  JBB @4.1.3    one month ago

Tastes weird?

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    one month ago
and a dog owner.

A while back I read a somewhat interesting article about which pet (or pets) each president had. I don't remember all the details, but many more had dogs than cats. Few, if any, had no pet inThe White House.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.1.4    one month ago

I really miss gazpacho - have not had it for more than 18 years.  They don't believe in cold soup here, even cucumber soup is served hot.  Watched a movie not long ago where a chef who served it hot was fired immediately. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MonsterMash @4.1.2    one month ago
"Bill & Hillary Clinton have a dog named Chelsea."

That is an ugly and cruel comment.  At least she was smart enough to marry a Jewish boy, like Ivanka was. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.6    one month ago
They don't believe in cold soup here

Actually in TCM ("Traditional Chinese Medicine") they feel that anything that goes into your stomach should be at least warm (if not actually somewhat hot).

IIRC that's because supposedly the function of The Stonach is to "ripen" food so it can be assimilated. IIRC they would even frown re: actually drinking cold water (or any other liquid) straight from the friq-- even in hot weather.

Taking medicine (when accompIed by a liquid) should always be with a warm liquid)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.1.8    one month ago

That's one of the first things I learned about the Chinese people when I first came here - they do NOT drink cold drinks.  When you go to a restaurant they immediately place a warm or hot glass of water for you on the table when you sit down, and even when you go to an office like to the dentist, they immediately greet you with a warm or hot glass of water.  At home I have to keep a bottle of cold water, a cola drink and bottles of orange juice and cranberry juice in the fridge because the only drink I drink that is hot is coffee, and all my life I have preferred very cold drinks.  Maybe it's the reason I've been having stomach problems the last few years. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @4.1.3    one month ago

Some have Clinton Derangement Syndrome and have nothing but agnorant insults.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.7    one month ago

All some seem to have is ugly and cruel comments, but only against Democrats.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2  Tessylo  replied to  MonsterMash @4    one month ago

So you agree he's a decent guy.

It's Tim Walz.

Not Timmy Waltz

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    one month ago

I don't trust him about cars, trucks or guns   or much else

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @5    one month ago

Why?  That's a pretty dumb statement.  What's not to trust. 

Don't believe the lies from certain posters.  I doubt some of them ever even served.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
5.2  SteevieGee  replied to  charger 383 @5    one month ago

So...  The Scout II is a fiberglass replica?

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.2.1  charger 383  replied to  SteevieGee @5.2    one month ago

what I could find quickly, Scout II was made from 1971-80 and some had a removeable fiberglass top

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    one month ago

Wow, how wrong I was to think you would like him for being a classic car guy.  This article would have been at home on my Classic Cars and Boats group articles. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.1  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    one month ago

Biden has a Covette but that he has done a lot to take the fun out of our cars.  I think Walz will go down the same road. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @6.1    one month ago

Nobody made a thing out of Biden having a Corvette, or about his use of it or whether or not he loved it or tinkered with it.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.1    one month ago
Nobody made a thing out of Biden having a Corvette, or about his use of it or whether or not he loved it or tinkered with it.

Well give it time, It was just mentioned. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @6.1    one month ago

'take the fun out of our cars.  I think Walz will go down the same road'

Another dumb comment.  Do you think you'll be forced to buy an EV?

How?

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.1.4  bugsy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.1    one month ago

If he tinkered with the corvette like he tinkered with the country then that car is now sitting on blocks stripped to the frame.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.3    one month ago

Oh, come on Tess, at least he told us Biden had a Corvette.  How else would we have known?  I thought he only rode in government vehicles and airplanes, other than a bicycle he has trouble not falling off of. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.6    one month ago

I knew he had a Corvette.  He used to take Amtrak all the time - my best friend worked for Amtrak in computer security and took the train every day to work - but I don't think he worked there at the same time that Biden would take the train.

Also, the bicycle remark isn't funny.

Charger and I are friendly but that doesn't mean I won't call him out when I disagree with him.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.1.8  charger 383  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.7    one month ago

As a train fan, Biden riding Amtrak was one of the things I like about him. 

Tessy and me are friendly and disagree on some things

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @6.1.8    one month ago

I don't mean to be a dick.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.6    one month ago

Charger's a good guy.  We probably agree more than we disagree.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.1.11  charger 383  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.10    one month ago

thanks

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    one month ago
Wow, how wrong I was to think you would like him for being a classic car guy.  This article would have been at home on my Classic Cars and Boats group articles. 

Actually, when I seeded this, it is wasn't my intention to start a political discussion. Rather I though it would be interesting to seed as NT is moving in the direction of having articles about various interesting topics-- and moving away from endless political stuff. 

And thanks in large part to Buzz there occasionally appears an interesting article that isnot just people arguing politics.( and a few others who post about interesting non-political topics-- AMac re: photography, Dig what he's planting, John Russell sometimes re: music, and a few others I inadvertantly left out)

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.2.1  charger 383  replied to  Krishna @6.2    one month ago

I'll stick to cars here

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @6.2    one month ago

Actually, when I seeded this, it is wasn't my intention to start a political discussion.

I, personally, would not base my decision to vote for (or against) a candidate based on the type of car they drive, what kind of pet(s) they like etc.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.2    one month ago
"And thanks in large part to Buzz there occasionally appears an interesting article that isnot just people arguing politics."

It's an endless struggle, but perhaps I'm the one who's wrong.  It's been pointed out that NT is a news and politics site. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @6.2.1    one month ago
"I'll stick to cars here"

Not movies as well?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.2.2    one month ago
"I, personally, would not base my decision to vote for (or against) a candidate based on the type of car they drive, what kind of pet(s) they like etc."

For me, their principles and integrity are way more important than anything, but that makes me very unusual around here. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.3    one month ago
It's been pointed out that NT is a news and politics site. 

Well, of course a lot of things have been pointed out here . . .  

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
6.2.7  1stwarrior  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.3    one month ago

Been waiting on that to happen for awhile - the news and politics bit.

Seems to have disappeared.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.3    one month ago

If that'sactually true-- then there are several people who post other stuff-- should they be banned?

Or maybe just to cut it out-- stop posting interesting stuff and please stick to political bickering!

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.2.9  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.4    one month ago

Just on this seed

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.2.6    one month ago
"Well, of course a lot of things have been pointed out here . . . "

And a lot of beautiful things ignored.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @6.2.9    one month ago
"Just on this seed"

LOL.  I knew that was so.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.12  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  1stwarrior @6.2.7    one month ago
"Been waiting on that to happen for awhile - the news and politics bit.  
Seems to have disappeared."

What has disappeared? -  the news and politics or what isn't those topics?  Or are you speaking of the criticism of such a limitation?  Please clarify.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.2.8    one month ago
"If that'sactually true-- then there are several people who post other stuff-- should they be banned?
Or maybe just to cut it out-- stop posting interesting stuff and please stick to political bickering!"

That wouldn't lose many NT members.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.14  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.3    one month ago

Actually now that I think of it, when Perrie first started NT it was described something like that (News & Politics\s) but there was also something about "where ll; views are welcome). 

I found this:

About Us           384

Who We Are      

Welcome to The NewsTalkers! We are a social news and politics website that brings articles from across the web, as well as original member commentary for  in depth discussion and debate. We are dedicated to news and political and social enthusiasts that are passionate about government and civic issues—sharing our unique opinions and knowledge. But The Newstalkers are more than just politics and news. We offer discussions ranging from economics, science and technology to social trends and culture. Whether you are looking for information or a good debate, we are here to engage you!

Our Purpose and goal             

Our goal at The Newstalkers    is to be the best place online to find high-quality, informative-style content and debate from across the web. We are also a platform for enthusiasts and aficionados to create original, useful, in-depth content. The NewsTalkers provides this in a community setting, that is fully moderated and member-centric. What makes us unique is that the membership has a voice in all aspects of NewsTalkers.

That's actually right on this site (LINK)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.15  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.2.14    one month ago

That's what I was saying.  Anything other than news and politics is secondary.  The image of the Capitol Building underlines that fact. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.16  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.15    one month ago
That's what I was saying.  Anything other than news and politics is secondary.  The image of the Capitol Building underlines that fact. 

Well, it does give one the feeling that this is a news and politics site.

As if that was unique,,,>

Because whether stated or not, the fact is that much of social media discussions are "news and politics". I went back to Twitter (Now "X") for a while recently. Incredible amount of hate-- specifically political hate. 

But I found it interesting because a friend sent me a link to a post from someone I follow (On TV but she also posts on Twitter).

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.17  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @6.2.16    one month ago
Because whether stated or not, the fact is that much of social media discussions are "news and politics"

I've always wondered why. Are all those folks really all that boring? That they have no real interests in life-- so they log on and do the only thing they're good at-- arguing, name calling, etc. 

(And think that they're Oh so clever about ti_- when in fact most are seriously "mentally challenged".

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.18  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.15    one month ago

Anything other than news and politics is secondary

True. Mostly.

But here's a "counter-argument".

When you seed something, you have a choice of "Categories. Sure, there is "News & Politics". But so many others are permitted, "The Lighter Side". "Wine & Food" Art &Photography. Pets and Animals. Satire. And many more.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.19  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.2.17    one month ago

How America has changed since I was last there.  Now it seems that the most important thing is politics, and the political divide has grown wider than Grand Canyon - so deeply in the people's conscience that rules requiring NO POLITICAL COMMENTS are REQUIRED for family gettogethers and holiday celebrations.  How sad that is. I don't remember it being such a horrid problem.  Where I am, for the 18 years I've been here, not one person, not a Chinese person, or an expat foreigner, has said ONE WORD about politics to me, nor I to them, at least not about Chinese politics.  You may think that's a deprivation, well to me it's a relief, a benefit, and everyone remains friends and happy together.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.20  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.2.18    one month ago
"When you seed something, you have a choice of "Categories. Sure, there is "News & Politics". But so many others are permitted, "The Lighter Side". "Wine & Food" Art &Photography. Pets and Animals. Satire. And many more."

True enough, and some are used, but note that the "Lighter Side" and "Satire" postings are usually political,  Most postings are through groups.  But if you were to take note of the numbers of comments, or how long the articles remain on the Front (Home) Page, it is a rare occasion that it is something other than political.  

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.2.21  Gsquared  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.19    one month ago
it seems that the most important thing is politics

Politics is certainly important, but it is definitely not the single most important thing.  Most people are more concerned with their jobs and families.  Since your only direct exposure to American culture is through this website, where politics is the primary topic, that may affect your view.

The fact that individuals in China do not discuss politics with you is an indication that it is not an open society.  However, when I was in China I did ask certain people (mostly the tour guides we hired) some politically relevant questions, the details of which I will not get into now, and I received pertinent responses.  Out of deference to their situation, I kept the exchanges very brief.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.22  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gsquared @6.2.21    one month ago
"Since your only direct exposure to American culture is through this website, where politics is the primary topic, that may affect your view."

My ONLY direct exposure to American culture?  Is that some kind of joke?  How could I possibly have posted articles on some of my groups without that access?  You know damn well I have access to LensCulture, and for your knowledge I have access to so many other American websites there is no way I would waste at least a week of my time opening all the ones I could open.  Do you actually think that because YouTube and Google are blocked here that there aren't alternative similar sites?  Do I really need the New York Times and Washington Post when I can access ABC, CBS, Fox, npr, CTV and a lot of other news sites?

What did the tour guides tell you, that they aren't allowed to vote, or that they have to be careful about saying anything critical about the CPC?  I'm sure they're trained to be careful about what they say to foreigners, since they're bound to be asked question on sensitive political issues by foreigners.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.23  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.13    one month ago
stop posting interesting stuff and please stick to political bickering!"

This is the crux of the matter. To reduce what is happening in the United States to "political bickering" is to seriously minimize the choices we are faced with.  The word bickering implies that both sides of the "bickering" have a legitimate case to make. There is no legitimate case for putting a traitor back in office. If the Republicans had dumped Trump after 2020 , like they were morally and ethically obligated to do, we might see more "news" stories on Newstalkers. But instead MAGA and various other Trump apologists have doubled and tripled down on supporting him. 

BTW, I dont care about classic cars, boats or some of the other things you bemoan dont get enough comments.  Some of your photographs about China are very interesting , but I'm not sure they are topics that will get dozens of comments. How much can you say about a temple built into the side of a cliff?  It is amazing. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.24  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.19    one month ago

This is what Bing Copilot GPT says about the government in China

Copilot

Usingthe web

Sent by Copilot:

China is ruled by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), which operates a one-party authoritarian system   . The government is structured as a unitary socialist state  , with the CCP holding a monopoly on political power  . This system has been in place since the establishment of the People’s Republic of China in 1949  .

China is ruled by an authoritarian system. Maybe the people over there like it, maybe their culture is more in sync with such a system of conformity. Good for them if that is the case and they are happy with it.  I have known a few people who immigrated to the Unites States from China and they were wonderful people.  I dont have a single thing against China as a people. 

But in America we dont want or accept an authoritarian government, or an authoritarian candidate. THAT is why you see so much "politics" on Newstalkers. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.25  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.23    one month ago

The quotation you posted was not my comment, and what if I DID stop posting interesting stuff?  Would that make NT a happier place?  I know my interests are varied, as indicated by the variety of articles that I post, but I don't expect everyone to be as universal in their interests as I am.  The one thing that does make me happy about the responses I get on them is that they are usually from both sides of the political aisle.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.2.26  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.25    one month ago

Buzz, I assume that everyone here has varied interests, but you are the only one who complains when your varied interests dont get a lot of comments.  We get it, you dont particularly care about the American election, ok thats fine. You are not an American and are living in China, literally the other side of the world. 

I sometimes post articles on non political topics, and very few of them get more than a half dozen comments, half of which are usually mine. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.27  Tessylo  replied to  Krishna @6.2    one month ago

Yeah, some have to make it political like charger.  Let's stay on topic.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.2.28  JBB  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.27    one month ago

"They're Coming For Our Cars" is the new "They're Coming For Our Guns". Nobody wants their gas hog antiques.  Companies still make big low mileage vehicles, but nobody is buying them!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.2.29  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @6.2.28    one month ago
Companies still make big low mileage vehicles, but nobody is buying them!

I hope they aren’t looking for another bailout.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.2.30  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.2.29    one month ago

You worry too much...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.31  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @6.2.28    one month ago

Yeah, note they mentioned guns as well.  That's been the threat since newt, that Democrats were coming after your guns, now it's your cars too.

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.2.32  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @6.2.30    one month ago

What, me worry?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.2.33  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JBB @6.2.28    one month ago
Companies still make big low mileage vehicles, but nobody is buying them!

I can think of 2 reasons this would be the case , cost and reliability .

people might overlook the cost , IF the reliability were there and it was made to last a certain amount of time .

personally i doubt i will live long enough, i figure i have another 14 or so years left considering different factors , to see an EV ever be comparable to what i do with an ICE vehicle  pertaining to my individual life style . and current year model ICE vehicles have a definite reliability issue for me .

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.2.34  Gsquared  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.22    one month ago

For your information, Lensculture is based in Amersterdam in The Netherlands.  

If you have access to and read a variety of uncensored western websites, including American websites, that would be helpful in providing a broader understanding.

What did the tour guides tell you, that they aren't allowed to vote, or that they have to be careful about saying anything critical about the CPC?

Nope, they didn't say either one of those things.  I was far more circumspect with my brief questions.  I asked them to translate banners that were hung across the freeways, which, given the tone of their responses, led me to a lot of understanding.  I also mentioned to one that with all of the apparently private businesses I noticed in China, it did not seem like a Communist country.  The response to that was to quote a current Party slogan about "Socialism with Chinese characteristics", again, in such a manner that I understood a deeper meaning.  One of the tour guides casually mentioned to me, without any questioning on my part, that they are aware of what is going on in the outside world, as if to indicate that the people were not generally swayed by Party propaganda.  Another briefly discussed the position of the PLA as "the most loyal" to the Party. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.35  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gsquared @6.2.34    one month ago

Since I'm able to use the internet here without a VPN or any other special facility, every person in China has the same access to all the western sites that I can open.  However there are western sites that block their access to China and probably elsewhere, and China does block many news and others that the CPC probably considers critical to it.   Sometimes the censors here go a little overboard.  They censor American movies where they see fit.  I will use as an example the Keira Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice.  I can understand why they deleted the bedroom scene with Lydia and Wickham, but I cannot for the life of me understand why they deleted the most beautiful and loving scene at the end of the movie of Darcy and Lizzy out on the Pemberly terrace at night.  However, what is completely laughable about the censors, and why I'm sure they keep an eye on what I post was when I was going to post a movie quiz of the movies with Victor Mature.  I first searched his name for movies and came up with a couple different lists and was going to use one of them.  When I went back to create a quiz those lists had disappeared.  Nothing like that ever happened with movie lists I searched before.  I think the censors must have thought because of his name "Mature", they would be pornographic movies.  LOL

I didn't realize LensCulture was Dutch, especially since it used English.  As for your comments about what you saw and learned in China, you're right on the money, because if this is Communism, save for the form of government it sure looks like Canada and the USA to me, especially considering the numbers of Chinese billionaires and millionaires who live in China.. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.2.36  Gsquared  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.35    one month ago

I think Lensculture was originally based in Berkeley in California, but for some reason they relocated to Europe.  They may still have an office in Berkeley, if they actually have a physical office.  The customer service representative I have dealt with a few times is in the Philippines.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.37  seeder  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.26    one month ago

John: I’ve seen you occasionally post non_political things— you get lots of interaction! 
Can anyone guess what sorts of non- political things John posts that get lots of interaction?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.38  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gsquared @6.2.36    one month ago

If she's the same one I've been in contact with a few times she's the very best customer service rep I've ever encountered on the internet. 

Thomas
Masters Guide
6.2.39  Thomas  replied to  Krishna @6.2.14    one month ago
Welcome to The NewsTalkers! We are a social news and politics website that brings articles from across the web, as well as original member commentary for  in depth discussion and debate. We are dedicated to news and political and social enthusiasts that are passionate about government and civic issues—sharing our unique opinions and knowledge. But The Newstalkers are more than just politics and news. We offer discussions ranging from economics, science and technology to social trends and culture. Whether you are looking for information or a good debate, we are here to engage you!

Thank you, Perrie. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.2.40  Gsquared  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.38    one month ago

I'm sure it is the same person since she has handled all of my customer service requests.  Without a doubt she is the very best customer service representative I have ever encountered on the internet.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    one month ago

And now it's time for me to enjoy a double-header movie afternoon.  

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8  Mark in Wyoming     one month ago

To simply answer the political question in the title ?  and yes asking that does make it political in my view , the answer would be no .

For me , all it is , is  just optics that have nothing to do really with the persons views that indicate the type of governance the person follows  and the types of policies they would try to enact.

And it is those things that will dictate if someone will vote for someone or not , or it should be IMHO.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9  Drinker of the Wry    one month ago

Driving a 1979 International Scout II seems like an environmentally irresponsible activity.

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
9.1  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9    one month ago
Driving a 1979 International Scout II seems like an environmentally irresponsible activity

Not everyone's as environmentally responsible as Donald jetting round the country in Trump Force 1. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Igknorantzruls @9.1    one month ago

Does the Kamala campaign get better mileage?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Igknorantzruls @9.1    one month ago

Recently, Biden flew to Chicago, then to Santa Barberia, then to Rehoboth Beach DL, to Pittsburgh and will then return to DC.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Igknorantzruls @9.1    one month ago

I'm surprised that no one has jumped on you for whataboutism, but I won't.

JBB
Professor Principal
9.1.4  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.1.3    one month ago

Feeling Igknored?

George
Junior Expert
9.1.5  George  replied to  Igknorantzruls @9.1    one month ago

The expected trump deflection. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @9.1.4    one month ago

LoL, no not at all.  I just enjoy commenting with the best of NT.

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
9.1.7  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.1.1    one month ago
Does the Kamala campaign get better mileage?

Was not referring to the campaign usage. Also, was unaware Walz was using his own vehicle to drive around the country.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.1.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Igknorantzruls @9.1.7    one month ago
Was not referring to the campaign usage.

Oh, Okay, what usage do you want to compare"

Also, was unaware Walz was using his own vehicle to drive around the country.

He's not, although at 16 MPG, it get's better millage than the aircraft he uses.

In the meantime, I putter around in my 2015 Hyundai Sonata Eco with it's 28/38 MPG.

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
9.1.9  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.1.2    one month ago
ecently, Biden flew to Chicago, then to Santa Barberia, then to Rehoboth Beach DL, to Pittsburgh and will then return to DC.

Good for him, he is the President of the United States. Did you expect him to hitch hike ?

Do you feel someone who works on their own vehicles should not be qualified to run for VP ?, cause one who violated so many accepted rules and Laws, should be limited to travel between his Prison, and the Court Systems that have yet to hold him accountable, instead he jet sets around spreading more and more lies, faster than Kamala has been accused of spreading her own thighs, cause for Trump & Cump, Sighs matter !   

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
9.1.10  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.1.3    one month ago
I'm surprised that no one has jumped on you for whataboutism, but I won't.

Thank Goodness, asz I almost got a girl pregnant,due to a premature ism. Maybe if 45 ever goes to prison, goodness won't be there to thank, and he gets covered in Bubbas' whataboutisms'.  You are very environmentally efficient, as i am lucky to get 10 mpg in my truck, but it gets me there. 

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
9.1.11  Igknorantzruls  replied to  George @9.1.5    one month ago
The expected trump deflection.

Since expecting, when is the due date ?, cause I find it a plus he works on his own vehicle, probably like other former presidents, no ?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.1.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Igknorantzruls @9.1.9    one month ago
Did you expect him to hitch hike ?

That would be silly, not enough room for the Secret Service.

Do you feel someone who works on their own vehicles should not be qualified to run for VP ?

Not at all, why did you infer that?

cause one who violated so many accepted rules and Laws, should be limited to travel between his Prison, and the Court Systems that have yet to hold him accountable, instead he jet sets around spreading more and more lies, faster than Kamala has been accused of spreading her own thighs, cause for Trump & Cump, Sighs matter 

Back to whataboutism as JR would say?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.1.13  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Igknorantzruls @9.1.10    one month ago
as i am lucky to get 10 mpg in my truck, but it gets me there

Think of the environment man, the environment.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
9.1.14  Greg Jones  replied to  Igknorantzruls @9.1    one month ago
Not everyone's as environmentally responsible as Donald jetting round the country in Trump Force 1. 

The Obama's used both Air Force 1 and Air Force 2 (the backup ) to go the same destination.

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
9.1.15  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Greg Jones @9.1.14    one month ago

Well, what if one had to deal with an emergency back home ? How would the other get back ? What if one wanted to stay later ? My obvious point is, everything points to Trump when anyone attempts to criticize the opposition, a position, i can take, because Trump is the ultimate fake, who in prison he should be, awaiting the other trial for all of his tribulations. The GOP has become a disgrace for again using 45 as its face aboutism is always applicable whence Trump is your alternative. The 'man' should be in PRISON, NOT representing the Republican Party, a party of disgrace !

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1.16  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @9.1.14    one month ago

Yes, Obama too . Actually I would guess all modern presidents fly a lot. Because they are busy and need to save time.

charger 383
Professor Silent
9.2  charger 383  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9    one month ago

Driving a 1979 International Scout II seems like fun, I would not mind having one

Thomas
Masters Guide
9.2.1  Thomas  replied to  charger 383 @9.2    one month ago

When I was in grad school at WSU there was this International Harvester pickup, in that international orange color, sitting across the street from my apartment. How I lusted for it. But I could never afford it, it was $2500 at the time, which was quite a large price for me. Ended up buying a 4x4 Subaru Wagon just across the border in Idaho. 

Memories....