╌>

Alan Dershowitz leaves Democratic Party, cites DNC: 'I was disgusted'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  4 weeks ago  •  69 comments

By:   Story by Louis Casiano

Alan Dershowitz leaves Democratic Party, cites DNC: 'I was disgusted'
Speaking with radio host Zev Brenner on "Talkline with Zev Brenner," Dershowitz cited the DNC, which he said gave legitimacy to anti-Israel speakers, and anti-Israel protesters outside the gathering.  "It was the most anti-Jewish, anti-Israel, anti-Zionist convention I've experienced," he said. "I was disgusted at the Democratic National Convention. Absolutely disgusted."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

P rominent attorney Alan Dershowitz announced his departure from the  Democratic Party , citing several "anti-Jewish" lawmakers that make up the ranks of the party and the recent Democratic National Convention in which Vice President Kamala Harris became the party's presidential nominee. 

Speaking with radio host Zev Brenner on "Talkline with Zev Brenner," Dershowitz cited the DNC, which he said gave legitimacy to anti-Israel speakers, and anti-Israel protesters outside the gathering. 

"It was the most anti-Jewish, anti-Israel, anti-Zionist convention I've experienced," he said. "I was disgusted at the Democratic National Convention. Absolutely disgusted."

"I am no longer a Democrat. I am an Independent," he added, noting that he wouldn't reveal whom he was voting for president until possibly after Nov. 1. "I want to see how they deal with Iran. I want to encourage the current administration to support Israel."

The Harvard Law professor emeritus said his departure from the party was a long time coming and that he gradually resigned over time. 

"Alot of things pushed me in that direction," he said. Dershowitz noted Harris' failure to preside over a joint session of Congress during an address by Israeli  Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu  played a big role in his decision. 

Some Democrats skipped Netanyahu's speech as a form of protest. 

Ultimately, it was the convention that was held in Chicago last month that pushed him over the edge, he said. 

He named Reps.  Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez , Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, who he said were anti-Israel, and Rev. Al Sharpton, who has been accused of antisemitism in the past.

In addition, there were anti-Israel protesters outside the gathering who called for the destruction of Israel, he said. 

"That's not my party," Dershowitz said. 

The Democratic Party has seen a sharp split within its ranks following the Oct. 7 attack on Israel by Hamas. Some members of the party have refused to condemn the terror group and have blamed Netanyahu for Israel's military response. 

Many Democrats have called for a ceasefire and urged Israel to use restraint while neglecting to hold Hamas and Hezbollah, an Iran-backed terror group based in Lebanon, in  Israel's north , to the same standard. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    4 weeks ago

Yet, he may still vote for Harris anyway.

I still don't understand the logic.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    4 weeks ago

Dershowitz said he is leaving the Democratic party - I thought he left it a long time ago, this is nothing new.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    4 weeks ago

This guy is nuts. He has shot his reputation , what was left of it after he defended OJ Simpson, to hell. 

There isnt a single Democrat in or out of office that gives a damn what Dershowitz does. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  JBB  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 weeks ago

Trump has all the dirt he collected on The Dersh and Jeffrey Epstein right by his dossiers on Rudy Giuliani, Lindsey Graham and Ted Cruz!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @2.1    4 weeks ago
Trump has all the dirt he collected on The Dersh

Oh, a conspiracy?

I see.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.2  bugsy  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.1    4 weeks ago

At least it is not a meme that has nothing to do with the subject at hand. 
Baby steps

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 weeks ago
This guy is nuts.

Because he objects to antisemitism?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2    4 weeks ago

He is complaining that AOC, Bernie sanders and Elizabeth Warren were permitted to speak at the Democratic convention. That is a ridiculous assertion. 

As far as protesters outside the convention hall, which he is also bitching about, so what ?

Pro-Palestinian delegates were blocked from speaking to the convention, to the point they did a protest sit in outside the arena. 

To hell with Dershowitz, he is a Trumpster. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.2  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.1    4 weeks ago

he's been wearing maga kneepads from day 1...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.1    4 weeks ago
He is complaining that AOC, Bernie sanders and Elizabeth Warren were permitted to speak at the Democratic convention.

No, he is complaining about their antisemitic message, which now seems to be widely accepted in the democrat party.

Pro-Palestinian delegates were blocked from speaking to the convention, to the point they did a protest sit in outside the arena. 

Of course. Otherwise, the DNC wouldn't have had that nice rollout.

To hell with Marxism & Harris.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.3    4 weeks ago

all nonsense

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.5  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.4    4 weeks ago

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @2.2.5    4 weeks ago

Really? What antisemitic message was given at the Democratic convention?  

None. 

The entire post above that I responded to is nonsense.  AOC is not anti-semitic, Bernie sanders is not anti-semitic and Elizabeth Warren is not -anti-semitic. It is nonsense. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.7  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.6    4 weeks ago

LOL, confused by your own posting? Your post in 2.2.4 that I replied to only contained two words.

all nonsense

So read your post of 2.2.4 and then re-read my post which should clear up your confusion.

As for your repost in 2.2.6, yes AOC is definitely antisemitic. Bernie Sanders may be Jewish, but he defends things that he would be better served to stay away from and I do agree that Elizabeth Warren is not antisemitic but she is frequently on the wrong side of things. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.8  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.6    4 weeks ago
What antisemitic message was given at the Democratic convention?

Let us start with the president:

President Joe Biden acknowledged pro-Palestinian protestors in his speech at the Democratic National Convention Monday, saying they “have a point,” as thousands of demonstrators gathered in Chicago to call for an end to U.S. military support for Israel and a cease-fire in Gaza.

Biden Says Pro-Palestinian Protestors ‘Have A Point’ In DNC Speech (forbes.com)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.9  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.8    4 weeks ago

Have a good day all.

Thomas
Masters Guide
2.2.10  Thomas  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.8    4 weeks ago

You constantly conflate any voicing of dissent about the conduct of the war in Gaza with anti-Semitic thought and action. 

When Biden said that they "have a point" he was talking of the massive humanitarian crisis that is the war against Hamas. But you cannot see that Biden is a staunch supporter of Israel, you can see only that he is against your gang and therefore everything he says must be twisted into echos of a faux reality.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.12  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.4    4 weeks ago

Prove him wrong

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    4 weeks ago

The Democrats have not claimed Dershowitz since Jeffrey Epstein...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @3    4 weeks ago

True, the republicons can have him.  He's a weirdo.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     4 weeks ago

I doubt if Democrats care at all about Dershowitz.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @4    4 weeks ago

They don't.  jbb is correct - he's one of the freakshow perverts associated with Epstein and underage girls.  Gone over to the dark side.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @4    4 weeks ago

They don't even care about Joe Biden.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
4.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2    4 weeks ago

They don't even care about Joe Biden.

What makes you say that? What line of BS you going to lay down now?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @4.2.1    4 weeks ago

FACTS.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @4.2.1    4 weeks ago

We care.  I think he was tired of dealing with that asshole former 'president' and can now finish his term and enjoy life!

Thomas
Masters Guide
4.2.4  Thomas  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.2    4 weeks ago
FACTS

You mean incredible bare assertions

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    4 weeks ago

Notwithstanding what the leftist NT members on this site are saying to disown Dershowitz, a long time ago he was my champion, then a while ago he changed, and I disowned him.  Now he is saying in the article above a lot of things that I've already said on NT.  He may be some kind of pendulum, but he appears to be as strong a supporter of Israel as I am.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    4 weeks ago

Dershowitz has lost, totally, any reputation he had when he was a Democrat. Over the past 10-15 years he has gone farther and farther toward embracing the far right, culminating with his serving on Trumps impeachment defense team. He has become a "one issue" commentator, and a friend of Trump.  The Democrats arent sad he has left the party , they are saying "what took you so long". 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    4 weeks ago

Today he is, as I have always been and always will be, a strong supporter of Israel and has to have been turned off by Harris' abandoning her historical seat in Congress when Netanyahu spoke, or Walz' refusal to be critical of Hamas, both of which IMO signal a negative for Israel while encouraging Hamas, no matter how much their forked tongues say otherwise.  I personally would not vote for either of the two major parties if I could vote in this election.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.1    4 weeks ago
Walz' refusal to be critical of Hamas
hamas gaza 2h
aHR0cHM6Ly9zLnlpbWcuY29tL255L2FwaS9yZXMvMS4yLzY1dWc2eWtvNGg2RlZxUUpSMVdHZmctLS9ZWEJ3YVdROWFHbG5hR3hoYm1SbGNqdDNQVEV5TURBN2FEMDRNREE3WTJZOWQyVmljQS0tL2h0dHBzOi8vbWVkaWEuemVuZnMuY29tL2VuL2FwLm9yZy8wMDdmZDVlZWFiMjEzMGQ5YTU3M2YxYWNkNDdjNTg2Ng

WASHINGTON (AP) — Vice presidential candidate Tim Walz said Thursday that those protesting American support for Israel's war against Hamas in Gaza are doing so for “all the right reasons," as the Democratic ticket looks to balance its support for Israel with the humanitarian plight of civilians in the war-torn enclave.

Walz' comments came in an interview with a local Michigan public radio station — a state with a large   Muslim American population that is also a potentially pivotal   swing state in this November's election. His comments appeared to mark tonal shift, though not a policy one, from the steadfast support for Israel that Vice President Kamala Harris espoused at the Democratic National Convention last month.

Walz said the Oct. 7 attack by Hamas that touched off the war, was “a horrific act of violence against the people of Israel. They certainly have the right to defend themselves.” But, he also said that, “we can’t allow what’s happened in Gaza to happen. The Palestinian people have every right to life and liberty themselves.”

During the interview, Walz was also asked how a Harris administration might handle the nearly 11-month Israel-Hamas conflict and whether she would break with President Joe Biden, who has supported Israel while working to broker a ceasefire and a deal to release hostages held by Hamas.

Walz   made no mention of the six hostages , including American   Hersh Goldberg-Polin , who were executed last week in Gaza by Hamas as Israeli forces drew near. Nor did he mention the protests that involve violence and vandalism and are frequently directed at Jewish Americans.

Walz has, in other settings, spoken about the hostages, including in a social media post earlier this week where he wrote: “The anguish of losing a child is something no family should have to endure. .. . Hamas is a brutal terrorist organization — and we condemn their continued atrocities against both Americans and Israelis in the strongest possible terms.”

Harris, who has spoken more passionately of the plight of Palestinians civilians in Gaza than Biden, has pledged to continue longstanding support for Israel. In a statement after the hostages' bodies were identified, Harris said that the “threat Hamas poses to the people of Israel—and American citizens in Israel—must be eliminated" and that "Hamas cannot control Gaza.”

Speaking at a vigil for the hostages at his synagogue in Washington on Tuesday, Harris’ husband   Doug Emhoff said,   “I haven’t been able to stop thinking about Hersh and his parents, or about the five others and their families.” He added: “This is hard. I feel raw. I’m gutted.”

Although the vice president has appeared more forceful in speaking about the plight of civilians in Gaza, she and Biden are in step on his efforts to arm Israel and bring about a hostage deal and ceasefire. Harris and Biden met earlier this week in the White House Situation Room with the U.S. hostage deal negotiating team.

Harris' campaign, meanwhile, has stepped up its outreach to Arab and Muslim American leaders in Michigan, aiming to make up ground with a community that had   grown exasperated   with Biden after they felt months of outreach had not yielded many results. Some have expressed a willingness to listen while others have had initial conversations with Harris’ team.

Harris previously said that it was important to remember “the war in Gaza is not a binary issue. However, too often the conversation is binary, when the reality is anything but.”

Hostage families have accused Israeli Prime Minister   Benjamin Netanyahu   of blocking a deal and potentially sacrificing their loved ones to hold a strip along Gaza’s border with Egypt, called the Philadelphi corridor. Hundreds of thousands of Israelis this week took   to the streets   and called for a deal, saying time is running out to bring hostages home alive.

Biden said this week they are still negotiating.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.1    4 weeks ago

you may be reading too much from the american political right

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.3    4 weeks ago

I have to agree.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.1    4 weeks ago

Disagree completely.  See John's comments.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    4 weeks ago

Yes, he believes in a single standard of Justice.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.1    4 weeks ago
I personally would not vote for either of the two major parties if I could vote in this election.

I suspect that Dershowitz won't vote for either party as well.

I guess I have an advantage over him. You see, I'm able to turn my head to the left and see antisemitism, lawfare, dishonesty and race baiting.

Therefore, I will be voting,

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.3    4 weeks ago
"you may be reading too much from the american political right."

Every day I read npr, CBS, ABC, USA TODAY, CTV (Canadian news site) and Crooks and Liars.  I didn't realize they were radical right sources.  Thank you for that advice.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.4    4 weeks ago
"I have to agree."  

Note my reply to John,

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.7    4 weeks ago
"You see, I'm able to turn my head to the left"

Maybe it's because I'm not an American I'm capable of turning my head in both directions, which is the reason I wouldn't vote for either if I could.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.6    4 weeks ago

lol

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.12  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.8    4 weeks ago

It took me about one minute to find a quote of Tim Walz condemning Hamas.  Thats why I asked you what you are reading. 

Thomas
Masters Guide
5.1.13  Thomas  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.2    4 weeks ago

My god, not nuance! Issues must be painted be black and white... /s

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    4 weeks ago

It doesn't matter if he supports Israel.  He's a scumbag.  Like the former 'president' and his association with Epstein.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @5.2    4 weeks ago

I know he's a scumbag, didn't I say I disowned him?  However I feel pretty much the same way he does about Israel and what he has said about the Democrats relating to Israel, and I know I'm right but I acknowledge that the lefties on this site disagree with my lifetime absolute support of Israel which I have for damned good reasons, some of them from personal experience which is something I'm sure you've not had. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.1    4 weeks ago

I get it Buzz.  I haven't had your experiences.  I get it.  

I'm kind of tired of your 'lefties' and Democrats disagreement with your experiences 'and your lifetime absolute support of Israel' -  - I'm not one of them who's voiced my opinion either way on this matter.

I get it.  I got it the last many times you've stated your lifetime absolute support of Israel.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.2    4 weeks ago

P.S. Fuck Dershowitz and what he has said about the Democrats relating to Israel.  Fuck him.  He's lost his goddamned mind in support of the former 'president' convicted felon and rapist and his associations with Epstein.  That undoes any alleged good he may have done in the past IMHO.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.3    4 weeks ago

You know, Tess, I think that that the two things that disturb me the most about the America I used to know well and love is the unfortunate and deadly refusal to curb the gun violence and the intense hatred that has developed between two opposing political philosophies and how that hatred is soaked up and reiterated by the public.  Being independent of your politics, at least because I'm not personally there and/or not subject to it, I can see and even appreciate that there are what I consider good things about each, but unfortunately bad things about each as well, and I'm not bound to any loyalties either way.  As well, I'm often criticized for "Speaking My Mind", a right that is one of the reasons I have remained a steadfast and contributing member of this site since its beginning, and I'm not going anywhere.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.4    4 weeks ago

I'm not going anywhere either.

I'm not criticizing you, just disagreeing with you on some points.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.5    4 weeks ago

I know, I accept it and it has not changed that we are friends.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.6    4 weeks ago

Regarding the PN. I didn't see this comment before.

You're awesome Buzz.  One of the true real men around here.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.7    4 weeks ago

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.9  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.8    4 weeks ago

And a gentleman.

Dig
Professor Participates
5.3  Dig  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    4 weeks ago
Now he is saying in the article above a lot of things that I've already said on NT.

Then perhaps you've been misinformed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dig @5.3    4 weeks ago

I don't think so, Dig.  I'm not Rick Blaine in Casablanca.  

• Captain Renault: What in heaven’s name brought you to Casablanca?
  • Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.
  • Captain Renault: The waters? What waters? We’re in the desert.
  • Rick: I was misinformed.
In this famous scene from Casablanca, Captain Renault asks Rick why he came to Casablanca. He of course gets a sarcastic response. There are 30 monthly Google searches for the phrase ” I came to Casablanca for the waters.”

LOL.  I just made it 31.

Dig
Professor Participates
5.3.2  Dig  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.3.1    4 weeks ago

The idea that rank and file Democrats are antisemitic or pro-Hamas is beyond ridiculous.

The idea that protests and/or the expression of concern over civilian casualties, the destruction of vital infrastructure, and starvation in Gaza is antisemitic or pro-Hamas is also beyond ridiculous. 

Gaza has essentially become a modern day Warsaw Ghetto with a fenced-off population of 'undesirables' segregated and isolated within, with disease, hunger, lack of clean water, and death running rampant for children as well as adults. Being troubled by that doesn't make a person anti-Jewish. Being troubled by it should be perfectly normal. Hell, Jews should be troubled by it as well, considering history.

Thomas
Masters Guide
5.3.3  Thomas  replied to  Dig @5.3.2    4 weeks ago
Gaza has essentially become a modern day Warsaw Ghetto with a fenced-off population of 'undesirables' segregated and isolated within, with disease, hunger, lack of clean water, and death running rampant for children as well as adults. Being troubled by that doesn't make a person anti-Jewish. Being troubled by it  should  be perfectly normal. Hell, Jews should be troubled by it as well, considering history.

No group is monolithic. A growing portion of the population in Israel does want violence halted.

Buzz, that video is from PBS. 

Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu said he would not join cease-fire talks over his demand that Israel remain in control of Gaza's border with Egypt. He spoke after thousands of workers walked off their jobs following a night of protests over his failure to reach a deal for the release of hostages. John Yang discussed more with Yohanan Plesner of the Israel Democracy Institute

That is the blurb from YouTube. Can you see PBS ?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.3.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dig @5.3.2    4 weeks ago

I never said that ALL Democrats are complicit so how can you accuse me of that?   Surely you must know why there ARE so many civilian casualties, Dig, and it isn't because of the IDF.  Maybe the blame should be put on those who CAUSE the civilian casualties, but nobody does that, not the UN, not the ICJ, and not a lot of nations around the world who have intentionally blinded themselves to Hamas' humanitarian crimes.  Hamas has done a magnificent job of causing the damage and it has won them the war of public opinion, so they're not going to stop.  Your "freedom of speech" protesters who are carrying signs and crying out "From the river to the sea" are simply supporting the destruction of Israel and the murder of Israeli Jews, not peaceful existence of Palestinians with Israelis. 

Perhaps YOU'VE been misinformed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.3.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Thomas @5.3.3    4 weeks ago
"That is the blurb from YouTube. Can you see  PBS  ?"

Nope.

But I WILL say that Israel has NO ALTERNATIVE but to control the Philadelphi Corridor and Rafah Crossing, because Hamas has been smuggling and will CONTINUE to smuggle its arms and ammunition through that border with Egypt, because Israel is doing a pretty good job of controlling all other possible smuggling routes.  It is because Hamas will NEVER agree to that because after all, how else can it get the necessities to attack Israel and kill Jews, and THAT is why there is no cease fire.  

So what's the "bleeding hearts" alternative?  Israel lets go of the Gaza/Egypt border and Iran provides a new supply of weapons and arms to Hamas so they can send more rockets and missiles into Israel and kill more Jews.  And Israel has no alternative to continue fighting in Gaza until all the Hamas and Islamic Jihad terrorists are dead, and because the terrorists hide themselves among the civilians, and hide their control centres and weapons and ammunition in and under hospitals, schools, mosques, playgrounds and refugee centres, more and more civilians are going to be killed and the world is getting angrier and angrier at Israel, but NOT at the terrorists who know their humanitarian crimes have already won over the UN, the ICJ, and the rest of the world.  Stop the world, Thomas, I want to get off.

Thomas
Masters Guide
5.3.6  Thomas  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.3.5    4 weeks ago

Bummer.

This one

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.3.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Thomas @5.3.6    4 weeks ago

Yes, but I'm going to read it after I eat lunch.  It's 12 noon here now.

Dig
Professor Participates
5.3.8  Dig  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.3.4    4 weeks ago
how can you accuse me of that?

You're the one who said you agreed with Dershowitz, and that you've made similar points here on NT.

Surely you must know why there ARE so many civilian casualties, Dig, and it isn't because of the IDF  [...] Hamas has done a magnificent job of causing the damage and it has won them the war of public opinion, so they're not going to stop.

Are you saying that Hamas bombed the hell out of Gaza themselves and then somehow convinced everyone it was the IDF? Seriously?

And Hamas hasn't won any war of public opinion. What they did on Oct 7 is irredeemable. They're a vile, evil terrorist organization that needs to be wiped off the face of the Earth. 

The problem is that when the enemy is hiding behind a bunch of civilians, it's not supposed to be ok to just go ahead and blow the civilians away too, over and over gain. 

I'm obviously not a war planner and don't know how the IDF should have gone after Hamas to protect innocent civilians and infrastructure, but the option they chose was obviously the wrong one, and will likely only cause more trouble in the future. They've probably created a whole new generation of Hamas recruits.

Your "freedom of speech" protesters who are carrying signs and crying out "From the river to the sea" are simply supporting the destruction of Israel and the murder of Israeli Jews, not peaceful existence of Palestinians with Israelis. 

I only remember hearing about things like that early on after the start of the war, but they weren't my protestors, and they weren't representative of the D Party at large. At the time I actually assumed many of them were simply naive youths being led by so-called 'professional protestors'.

At any rate, haven't Palestinians and Israelis both used the phrase politically? It's not exclusive to the Palestinians, is it?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.3.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dig @5.3.8    4 weeks ago
"You're the one who said you agreed with Dershowitz, and that you've made similar points here on NT."

I know you're a careful reader Dig, because you always get the highest scores on my movie games.  Go back and read what Dershowitz said.  His criticism was aimed at Democratic lawmakers and the DNC, NOT Democrats generally.  I agree with him on those things and I HAVE said what I think of the Squad and Bernie Sanders and any others who absented themselves from Netanyahu's address to Congress. 

Are you saying that Hamas bombed the hell out of Gaza themselves and then somehow convinced everyone it was the IDF? Seriously?

What kind of accusation is that?  Tell me something, Dig, were the people in the Allied nations wailing about the innocent civilians in Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Tokyo?  No, what was said at that time was that it was going to end the continuing deaths of American soldiers and others, right?  Can you not apply that same logic to this war?  How about the innocent civilians in Dresden?  There was no UN or ICJ then to ignore the massacres.   Casualties of War was so known to exist in later wars carried on by the USA that they produced a movie called Casualties of War.   Remember the image of "Napalm Girl"?  The Nazis and the Japanese wore their uniforms and did not hide among their civilians. They didn't do the things I posted above, as follows:

"...the terrorists hide themselves among the civilians, and hide their control centres and weapons and ammunition in and under hospitals, schools, mosques, playgrounds and refugee centres, more and more civilians are going to be killed and the world is getting angrier and angrier at Israel, but NOT at the terrorists who know their humanitarian crimes have already won over the UN, the ICJ, and the rest of the world."

"And Hamas hasn't won any war of public opinion."

Really, Dig?  Well, I think the thousands of protesters around the world think differently than that.  As well as the nations including the one I'm living in.  On the news you will hear how many Palestinians have died, accentuating the numbers of women and ESPECIALLY children, but NEVER how many militants were among those killed.  How about YOUR news broadcasts, do they indicate that?  How about the NON-admission by the UN that UNRWA has been complicit in this war.  The ICJ is quick to accuse Israel of war crimes, but have you heard them say anything about the humanitarian crimes Hamas has been doing?  

Israel has an alternative.  End the war in Gaza and have to continue receiving rockets and missiles fired into Israel, and the likelihood of more Oct 7 massacres forever, or else continue the war until every Hamas and Islamic Jihad militant is dead.  I know there are opinions that the war is just creating more and more militants (partly thanks to UNWRA training) but they will have to be dealt with individually, and at least not as an army, and I believe that in the future it will be easier to deal with them. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.3.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Thomas @5.3.6    4 weeks ago

Okay, I've now read it and it has not told me anything new.  Did you read the email in response to the article?  It simply confirms what I said about Hamas having won the propaganda war.  Obviously they are not winning with bullets, but they are going to win....as even NT members are proving,

"Do these protesters not know about the directives from Hamas to its operatives? The IDF found the papers in a tunnel in Gaza. It is a step by step plan of how to win by social pressure.

They wrote out every detail of psychological pressure they were to put on the world and more specifically for the disgruntled Jews.

It's shocking that the protesters have unknowingly moved forward in lock step with every detail of that report.

Hamas knows that emotional mob mentality destroys the ability to use logic and reason."

Okay, I've spent enough time on this. Now I'm going to watch a couple of movies.

Thomas
Masters Guide
5.3.11  Thomas  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.3.10    4 weeks ago

Well, I could not get you the link that I wanted. I guess that information is let into China on a need-to-know basis. I would rather be the one determining if I "need to know"

Your comment makes the implication that they people who are protesting in Israel are protesting out of a manipulated mindset. I would posit that they are protesting because they wish for the return of the hostages and an end to the killing.

• John Yang:

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said today that he would not join in cease-fire talks over his demand that Israel remain in control of Gaza's border with Egypt.

He spoke after thousands of workers across Israel walked off their jobs following a night of protests over Netanyahu's failure to negotiate a deal for the release of those held in Gaza, all this after the recovery of the bodies of six more hostages.

Across Israel overnight, hundreds of thousands took to the streets in the biggest protests since the war began almost 11 months ago. In Tel Aviv, police and protesters clashed. Nationwide, some two dozen people were arrested. Today, protesters blocked a main road in the city, demanding that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reach a deal to return the 100 or so Israeli hostages still in Gaza.

• Idit Teperson, Protester:

I think we have a criminal government, a criminal government who lets the hostages be murdered only for the sake of the coalition. And we have a prime minister who doesn't think of the good of a country, but only of his own good.

• John Yang:

A general strike disrupted flights at Israel's international airport, and some hospitals were only partially operating.

In Jerusalem, Israelis lined the streets for the funeral procession of American-Israeli hostage Hersh Goldberg-Polin. He was among the six hostages recovered by Israeli forces in Gaza over the weekend. Today, Netanyahu said Hamas would pay a heavy price for their deaths. At the funeral, Goldberg-Polin's mother, Rachel, mourned her son.

Rachel Goldberg-Polin, Mother of Hersh Goldberg-Polin: For 23 years, I was privileged to have the most stunning honor, to be Hersh's mama. I will take it and say thank you. I just wish it had been for longer.

• John Yang:

At the White House, President Biden added to the pressure on Netanyahu.

• Question:

Mr. President, do you think it's time for Prime Minister Netanyahu to do more on this issue? Do you think he's doing enough?

Joe Biden, President of the United States: No.

• John Yang:

In Gaza, a polio vaccination campaign continued. Israel and Hamas have agreed to pause fighting in select areas until Tuesday. The goal is to vaccinate more than 600,000 children.

Mohammed Rajab, Palestinian in Gaza (through interpreter): In these conditions we live in, with the diseases spreading among children, vaccination is now very important to protect our children. God willing, in these days of war, peace will prevail for everyone.

• John Yang:

And in the West Bank city of Jenin, an Israeli military operation continued, the fifth day of heavy fighting. So far, at least 20 Palestinians have been killed.

At the White House today, President Biden said the United States will hold Hamas leaders accountable for American Israeli Hersh Goldberg-Polin's death. He also met with the U.S. team trying to reach an agreement that would free the remaining hostages.

Yohanan Plesner is president of the Israel Democracy Institute. He is a former aide to both Prime Ministers Ariel Sharon and Benjamin Netanyahu.

Mr. Plesner, give us a sense of what the mood is like in Israel today. You have had a tumultuous 36 hours.

• Yohanan Plesner, President, Israel Democracy Institute:

Yes, it's a very emotional period.

The fact that six of our hostages have been murdered in cold blood and just 24 hours before the IDF soldiers have actually reached them was received as a major blow for — I think for all Israelis. And the protests that erupted have reflected that.

Now, we have to understand it's — we have to be able to hold two complex thoughts at the same time. On the one hand, we're dealing with a murderous Hamas jihadist regime that wanted and continues to desire to annihilate our state and to execute our hostages.

And they haven't said yes to any deal, to any mediation, to any of the parameters. So, Israelis are, in this respect, united behind the war goals of dismantling Hamas and bringing back the hostages. At the same time, a growing number of Israelis, perhaps a majority of Israelis, do not trust the way the prime minister is conducting and carrying out this war and operation, and specifically the attempt to bring back the hostages.

And the protests yesterday are a reflection of this distrust in the way the prime minister is leading the negotiation.

• John Yang:

Well, that distrust you talk about, you worked for Mr. Netanyahu.

What do you think his thinking is right now about this — getting the hostages back?

• Yohanan Plesner:

Well, the prime minister basically conveyed to the Israeli public the message that only increased military pressure will bring back the hostages.

Now, on the one hand, increasing the military pressure puts obviously pressure on Hamas and its leadership and produces a positive outcome. But it also has costs. It also puts our hostages in danger. And what we have seen now is the fact that our hostages were murdered was to some extent as a result of the fact that we put pressure.

So this formula is not that simple as it sounds. But I think a more complex element is the fact that many Israelis think that Mr. Netanyahu is managing this negotiation in bad faith, that alongside the interest of bringing back the hostages and dismantling Hamas, there's also other additional political interests, like keeping together his coalition and that it costs with hostages their lives.

And this distrust, I would say, was augmented by the fact that, at least what we heard from leaks from what's happening within the room, within the discussion, within the discussions, is that the leaders of the defense establishment think that Israel — there's additional wiggle room for Israeli compromises that might bring about a deal and that Netanyahu insists on not making those compromises.

And it's unclear whether there's strictly a security consideration or other more political considerations involved.

• John Yang:

This growing distrust, does it present a challenge or a threat to Mr. Netanyahu and his government?

• Yohanan Plesner:

Not necessarily, because we have seen tonight Mr. Netanyahu presenting his case and positioning it strictly as a security argument about the merit of holding on to the border between Gaza and Egypt.

And as long as it's wrapped or positioned as a security — argument around security interests, I think it's a relatively comfortable position for the prime minister.

• John Yang:

The prime minister tonight said that the containing that containing that — or maintaining presence on that border, what they call the Philadelphi Corridor, is the only way to keep Israel safe against weapons being smuggled in from Egypt.

Does his defense establishment agree with him?

• Yohanan Plesner:

No, not necessarily. We actually heard the chief of staff of the IDF say that Israel can also give up on its — on holding onto this corridor temporarily or think of other arrangements, for example, if we get security guarantees from the United States and the Egyptians.

And one has to see it in a broader context. This is a whole issue of risk management. There are the lives of the hostages. There's what's happening in the northern border. There's the interest in building and stabilizing a strong coalition against Iran that is trying to dominate the region and to deploy and activate its proxies against Israel, against U.S. interests, against the interests of the moderate countries in the region.

So there's a much broader picture than just narrowing and reducing it down to a dispute around one axis. So I think to reduce the whole debate into what's going to happen in this five-kilometer strip is less about security interests and more about talking to one's own political base.

So, again, Israel's war goals are just. We are fighting against an evil enemy, Hamas, that wants to annihilate us. And at the same time, the fact that we have a just war does not mean necessarily that the prime minister is executing it in an optimal manner, not vis-a-vis our own national interests and not vis-a-vis the interests of some of our allies.

• John Yang:

Yohanan Plesner, thank you very much.

This is the transcript . of the segment.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.3.12  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Thomas @5.3.11    4 weeks ago

Thank you, Thomas.  As for access to information, maybe I can't reach all the sources you can, but I have access to enough western sites to keep me well informed.  I've already indicated my opinion concerning the Egypt/Gaza border wherein I made it clear that the only reason Hamas will not agree to Israel's presence there is that is will prevent Hamas from being able to smuggle in arms, missiles, rockets and ammunition to murder Jews with.  Egypt has not competently stopped the smuggling.  If Netanyahu gives in on that issue Israel will NEVER be safe from Hamas' attacks.  The problem is the proverbial "between a rock and a hard place".

Dig
Professor Participates
5.3.13  Dig  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.3.9    4 weeks ago
I agree with him on those things and I HAVE said what I think of the Squad and Bernie Sanders and any others who absented themselves from Netanyahu's address to Congress. 

Dershowitz used the term anti-Jewish, which sounds like an accusation of antisemitism to me. My point is that there is a world of difference between opposition to the way Netanyahu has prosecuted the war and actual antisemitism. I mean, Bernie Sanders is Jewish.

What kind of accusation is that? 

It was a question. Here's what you said, again...

"Surely you must know why there ARE so many civilian casualties, Dig, and it isn't because of the IDF  [...] Hamas has done a magnificent job of causing the damage and it has won them the war of public opinion, so they're not going to stop."

You can't see how that looks? The civilian casualties aren't because of actions of the IDF? Come on. Just because Hamas hides behind civilians doesn't mean the IDF has to take the bait. They're still the ones doing the damage and killing civilians.

Can you not apply that same logic to this war?  How about the innocent civilians in Dresden?

Horrors of the past inform the present, and people in today's digital information age find it much harder to turn a blind eye to it. 

Listen, arguing about the war itself is something that could go on forever and wasn't the reason I responded.  Dershowitz's accusation of antisemitism was. I just want to make sure that we're not conflating criticism of certain aspects of the war with actual antisemitism.

I happen to think that antisemitism is one of the dumbest things ever. I don't even understand it, considering that every Jewish person I've ever known has been a regular person just like everyone else. I've never been able to find the thing that people are supposed to fix on and hate. Not to mention the fact that Jewish people have contributed mightily to the modern world, especially in the sciences. I think Jews hold more Nobel Prizes than anyone else. So, like I said, I don't get it. Maybe it's jealousy.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.3.14  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dig @5.3.13    4 weeks ago
I don't get it. Maybe it's jealousy.

Whatever it is, it hasn't changed for millennia which is proof that it will never change.  Maybe you don't get it because you're not Jewish.  Maybe you haven't had the experience of growing up in a residential area that was across the road from where the real estate had restrictions against selling or renting to Jews.  Maybe you weren't one of only 4 Jewish kids in a big public school who got beat up all the time and called "dirty Jew" for no reason other than being Jewish, but when a Jewish kid would report that to the principal the principal would slap the kid's palm with a ruler for being a "snitch".  Maybe you weren't a kid who wanted to ski but the only local place where anyone could ski where there was a ski lift had a big sign in front "NO JEWS ALLOWED".   Maybe you wanted to play golf, but the only private golf club that would let you be a member was one that the Jewish golfers had to create themselves.   

But things have changed from then, right?  These days such discrimination is no longer legal, and now there are laws against hate speech, but that has NOT and WILL NEVER stop antisemitism.  Maybe it IS jealousy, maybe it's just an illogical ignorant ingrained prejudice that is passed from parent to child if not by intentional planting, but by the children hearing comments of their parents.  There is a phrase in Hebrew "L'dor v'dor" which means "From generation to generation" and the antisemitism passes from parent to child, and it's never going to end and you cannot deny it has not increased considerably lately.  Look at what's happening to innocent Jewish students at universities for your answer about whether it's just Israel or it's Jews even if those students have never supported Israel in their lives.  THAT is antisemitism, Dig.  Ever heard the words being spoken by someone trying to weasel out of being accused of antisemitism: "Some of my best friends are Jews." 

Do you know that the internationally accepted definition of antisemitism includes this?

• Applying a double standard to Israel that isn’t applied to other countries.

IMO hatred of Israel is a usual method for antisemites to appear as not being actually antisemitic.

Why are so many nations in the UN against Israel?  Did you ever read the story I read about the UN language translator who was caught with an open mike saying how much he could not believe how antisemitic the UN was?  So what if it's because of Netanyahu?  I'm convinced myself that he'll try to keep the war going so he won't be tried for his personal crimes.  But then why blame ISRAEL when the blame falls on one man?  Why?  Because "it's those Jews".  Look at the huge number of Israelis who want him out.  So why blame Israel?   I know why, it's because Israel is well known to be THE JEWISH STATE.  Why does the UN and most of its member States blame Israel when the problem is Netanyahu?  Why?  Because it's THE JEWISH STATE,   Why did the ICJ blame Israel when the problem is Netanyahu?  Why?  Because its THE JEWISH STATE.  Why to so many world leaders put the people of Israel at risk when the problem is Netanyahu?  Why?  Because it's THE JEWISH STATE.  Why do all the protesters around the world including in the USA blame Israel?  Why?  Because it's THE JEWISH STATE.   Isn't the answer obvious?  IT'S THOSE JEWS, Anti-Semitism.

Yes, Bernie Sanders is Jewish.  Interesting that he is a frequent speaker at Anti-Israel organizations, and that he wants the USA to stop arming Israel.  He has wanted the USA to stop arming Israel LONG BEFORE Oct 7.  Did he want the USA to stop arming Ukraine? Taiwan? No, he didn't.  IMO he is a self-loathing Jew and I despise him and put him in the same category as The Squad.  He is an antisemite and IMO Dershowitz is absolutely right about antisemitism among the lawmakers.  How many absented themselves when Netanyahu spoke to congress?   Hasn't it been a custom for decades for a VP to sit behind a foreign leader who is addressing Congress.  Oh, she had to speak to few sorority sisters, and of course that couldn't possibly be postponed.  Dershowitz DID NOT refer to antisemitism among the public and that is why I agree with what he said.

When there was The Holocaust, the Jews had nowhere to go.  Israel gives Jews around the world a place to go and be secure in the event of world wide antisemitism growing to the extent that Jews are not welcome anywhere else.  Hamas, with the help of Iran has found a way to get rid of Israel, and the way is to get the rest of the world to do it.  I posted this somewhere else, but here it is again in case you missed it.

"Do these protesters not know about the directives from Hamas to its operatives? The IDF found the papers in a tunnel in Gaza. It is a step by step plan of how to win by social pressure.

They wrote out every detail of psychological pressure they were to put on the world and more specifically for the disgruntled Jews.

It's shocking that the protesters have unknowingly moved forward in lock step with every detail of that report.

Hamas knows that emotional mob mentality destroys the ability to use logic and reason."

I am 100% in agreement with that comment and I believe it is accomplishing its goal.,

Israel has a choice, not stopping the war until it has eradicated Hamas and maintains controls to prevent the growth of such a terrorist group whose aim is to destroy Israel again ever arises, OR to give up control of the Gaza/Egypt border where Hamas smuggles its weapons and ammunition with Hamas continuing with hiding behind women and children and hiding their weapons and control centres in and under hospitals, schools, mosques and UNRWA facilities (with UNRWA's complicity) and continue its propaganda war forever until the bleeding hearts of the world, being told by Hamas (if you believe what those terrorists tell you) how many women and especially how many children have died (but you'll never be told how many Hamas and Islamic Jihad terrorists were eliminated), i.e. the amount of collateral damage THAT IS INTENTIONALLY CAUSED BY HAMAS in order to have the rest of the world take up and eventually fulfill Hamas' goal.

You know that I know that you're not only a good person but also an intelligent person with varied worthwhile interests.  I don't know if I have convinced you about why I feel the way I do, but so be it if not.  I've tried my best and I will never change my feelings about it even if I were to become a pariah on NT.  It is pretty obvious to me already that there are some who already consider that, not only because of the above, but also because I happen to live in China, you know, among the "commies".  

Dig
Professor Participates
6  Dig    4 weeks ago
"anti-Jewish" lawmakers that make up the ranks of the party
...the most anti-Jewish, anti-Israel, anti-Zionist convention I've experienced

Dershowitz has lost it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  Tessylo  replied to  Dig @6    4 weeks ago

Done lost it a while ago.