╌>

Trump says he wouldn't run for president again in 2028 if he loses this time

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  2 weeks ago  •  31 comments

By:    Rachel Treisman - NPR

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

If former president Donald Trump loses the election in November, would he run again in four years?

No. At least that’s what he told an interviewer last week.

The Republican presidential nominee spoke with Sinclair Broadcast Group journalist Sharyl Attkisson at his Mar-a-Lago residence on Friday   for an interview   that aired on her show,   Full Measure , on Sunday.

The   wide-ranging conversation   spanned the recent assassination attempts against Trump, his administration’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, his health regimen (golf and “proper” hamburgers) and his plans for a potential second term, including whether he would appoint Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., Elon Musk and Tulsi Gabbard — all of whom have endorsed him — to his cabinet (he said it was too early but didn’t rule it out).

And it ended with Attkisson asking Trump whether he sees himself running again in 2028 if his current presidential bid — his third in a row — is unsuccessful.

“No, I don't. No, I don't,” Trump said. “I think that that will be, that will be it. I don't see that at all. I think that hopefully we're gonna be successful.”

It’s a rare admission of possible defeat by the former president, who has spread false claims about voter fraud and election interference to explain his loss in 2020 and   preemptively stoke fears   about 2024. He has   previously said   the only way he can lose this November is if there’s voter fraud.

Trump’s claims should always be   taken with a grain of salt , and his decision about 2028 is a particularly   hard one to fact check .

But it aligns with comments Trump has made — including   during the first debate   — suggesting he wouldn’t have entered the race if not for President Biden (“I wish he was a great president, because I wouldn't be here right now”).

It also squares with voters’ concerns and Trump’s criticisms about Biden’s age — which are now   boomeranging right back at him .

Trump, 78, became the   oldest presidential nominee   in U.S. history after Biden withdrew from the race this summer, and would be the   oldest president inaugurated   if he wins a second term. He would be 82 — a year older than Biden is now — in 2028.

Trump’s longevity came up multiple times during Friday’s interview.

He spoke about feeling safe after surviving two   apparent assassination attempts   in recent months — “I can't be scared because if you're scared, you can't do your job” — and said he stays healthy by playing golf — “but it seems to be quite a dangerous sport in retrospect” — referencing this month’s   incident at his Florida club .

When Attkisson pushed him about his diet, particularly his well-documented love of hamburgers, he admitted that he likes “perhaps all the wrong food,” but doesn’t plan to make many changes.

“I have people lecturing me for years, ‘Oh don’t eat this, don’t eat that,’ ” Trump added. “They’re gone, they have passed away long ago. And here I am.”

Trump’s presidential opponent, Vice President Kamala Harris, is 59 years old.

Recent national polls — including the most recent NPR/PBS News/Marist poll — continue to paint a picture of a tight race between the two: An NBC News poll showed Harris gaining a   double-digit increase in popularity   (and a five-point lead), while a   New York Times /Siena College poll showed   Trump gaining a lead   in the critical swing states of Arizona and Georgia.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    2 weeks ago

With Trump, failure breeds failure and he will make his MAGA followers failures ... he's a family guy!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1    2 weeks ago

he can have rallies and campaign by zoom from club fed, as long as his luck holds up till he gets there ... /s

(no that isn't a death wish, just a statement of fact based upon his age, health, and popularity)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 weeks ago

" The      wide-ranging conversation      spanned the recent assassination attempts against Trump, his administration’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, his health regimen (golf and “proper” hamburgers) and his plans for a potential second term, including whether he would appoint Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., Elon Musk and Tulsi Gabbard — all of whom have endorsed him — to his cabinet (he said it was too early but didn’t rule it out)."

He stays 'healthy' by playing golf?  What is the 'proper' burger?  A Big Mac?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.1    2 weeks ago
What is the 'proper' burger? 

beef, no turkey or tofu

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.1    2 weeks ago

He has to push his golf cart with his feet (Flintstones?)

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.2    2 weeks ago

blasphemy ...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.3    2 weeks ago

why is that fat ass moron always alone in his cart?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.6  Split Personality  replied to  devangelical @1.1.5    2 weeks ago

He's living rent free in his own head.

fineline
Freshman Silent
1.1.7  fineline  replied to  devangelical @1.1.5    2 weeks ago

Its a matter of the carts GVW .

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.8  CB  replied to  devangelical @1.1.5    2 weeks ago

To be fair, I have seen him at least once with Baron (his son) in his cart. It was 'the one' after the Donald/Joe debate where Donald is setting that he 'drummed' Biden out of the race. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.9  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.6    2 weeks ago

he's obviously a big fan of vaulted ceilings in great rooms ...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.10  devangelical  replied to  fineline @1.1.7    2 weeks ago

that makes sense. I could have a lot of fun with a string of firecrackers within earshot of him ...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.11  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.1.10    2 weeks ago

ending up under a dog pile of secret service agents after every loud noise would really get tiresome ...

too bad ...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hallux @1    2 weeks ago

Because of his reputation, would you believe him?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    2 weeks ago

“I have people lecturing me for years, ‘Oh don’t eat this, don’t eat that,’ ” Trump added. “They’re gone, they have passed away long ago. And here I am.”

[deleted][]

Hallux
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Tessylo @2    2 weeks ago

Trump's shitpile is 5 yarns taller than 'his' Tower.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @2.1    2 weeks ago

he'll be an inmate or a footnote by 2028...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    2 weeks ago

Normally I would say that one should disregard anything Trump claims.

But in this case it is coincidentally quite likely.    If he does not win the presidency then he is just citizen Trump dealing with lawsuits that he brought on himself with his own acts.    He will be too busy sitting in courtrooms with an ankle bracelet to even consider running for PotUS (as an 82 year old candidate).

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @3    2 weeks ago

... or he thinks he won't have to after he loses, throws a box of wrenches into the judicial system, and then waits for his SCOTUS employees to save his traitorous ass with a lifetime appointment.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  devangelical @3.1    2 weeks ago

If Trump loses the election, his support —if we can count on any historical logic— should dry up quickly.   He should no longer be relevant.

But given we are in a reality where almost half of the electorate (inexplicably) wants this scoundrel to be PotUS, I am not so sure historical logic applies.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    2 weeks ago

Nope, it's all emotional. Hysteria and paranoia on the part of many of the electorate. Nothing logical about it.

And that's what the left probably fears the most. Fears on the right mostly deal with the history of Harris and what we could expect from her presidency. It's very unlikely her views and agenda has changed a bit from what it was previously, notably the comment below....

Harris supported entering gun owners' homes to inspect firearms (americanmilitarynews.com)

That's kinda scary and un-American

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    2 weeks ago

And? Trump Lies! He already got whooped once!

Hallux
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  JBB @4    2 weeks ago
He already got whooped once!

If you count midterms once becomes several, toss in his election lawsuits and several becomes magalions.

CB
Professor Principal
5  CB    2 weeks ago

Well, he is the most proliferate public liar in the country, so take the confession not to run with a grain of salt! Crooked Donald will be 84 so that will definitely be held against him if the does LIE and attempt running anyway!

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1  devangelical  replied to  CB @5    2 weeks ago

at the rate he's losing cognitive function, he'll have a drool cup hanging off his lower lip by then, if he's lucky ...

George
Junior Expert
6  George    2 weeks ago

He shouldn't be running this time, Just go away.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  George @6    2 weeks ago

Amen!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  JohnRussell    2 weeks ago

Is this supposed to gain sympathy for him ? 

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
8  Right Down the Center    2 weeks ago

This is terrible news for MSNBC and CNN.  If Trump is not president or running for president there is no way their terrible numbers won't get even worse.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
8.1  MrFrost  replied to  Right Down the Center @8    2 weeks ago
This is terrible news for MSNBC and CNN.

...and newsmax, RSBN, RT, Fox, etc.. 

CB
Professor Principal
8.2  CB  replied to  Right Down the Center @8    2 weeks ago

One would get the impression Crooked Donald is the reason any network starts. (Not the case for MSNBC or CNN.)