╌>

Mayor of only Muslim-run city in US endorses Trump for election

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  2 weeks ago  •  82 comments

By:   Elaine Mallon

Mayor of only Muslim-run city in US endorses Trump for election
Hamtramck, which has a population of about 28,000 people, made headlines in 2021 when it became the first US city to elect an all-Muslim City Council and a Muslim mayor.

Photo: Life Middle East - Mohammed Alragawi  

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Amer Ghalib, who leads city in battleground state of Michigan, says the Republican is the ‘right choice’, despite disagreements. The mayor of the only city in the United States with an all-Muslim government has endorsed former President Donald Trump for November’s presidential election.Amer Ghalib, who leads the city of Hamtramck in the crucial battleground state of Michigan, said on Sunday that the Republican candidate is a “man of principles” and “the right choice”, despite their disagreements on some issues.

“President Trump and I may not agree on everything, but I know he is a man of principles,” Ghalib said. “Though it’s looking good, he may or may not win the election and be the 47th president of the United States, but I believe he is the right choice for this critical time.

“Now, let the Caravan begin its journey,” Ghalib added. “This is just the starting point.” Trump reposted Ghalib’s endorsement on his Truth Social platform shortly after the announcement.

Hamtramck, which has a population of about 28,000 people, made headlines in 2021 when it became the first US city to elect an all-Muslim City Council and a Muslim mayor.

Ghalib, who immigrated to the US from Yemen when he was 17, offered his support to Trump a little less than a week after meeting the Republican candidate before a town hall in the Michigan city of Flint. Ghalib told The Detroit News last week that the pair had discussed the concerns of Arab and Muslim Americans and that Trump had requested his endorsement.

Michigan is one of seven key swing states expected to decide the outcome of November’s contest between Trump and his Democratic Party rival, Vice President Kamala Harris. Opinion polls suggest a tight race between Trump and Harris both nationally and in battlegrounds such as Michigan.

In the most recent average of polls compiled by The New York Times, Harris leads Trump in Michigan by 50 percent to 47 percent.Trump won Michigan in the 2016 election against Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton, becoming the first Republican to prevail in the state since George HW Bush in 1988. President Joe Biden flipped the state back to the Democrats in 2020, beating Trump by a margin of about 150,000 votes.

Muslim-American anger over the Biden administration’s support for Israel’s war on Gaza has become a concern for Democrats as they face razor-thin races in the battleground states.

In a poll released by the Council on American-Islamic Relations in August, just 12 percent of Muslim voters in Michigan expressed support for Harris, with 18 percent backing Trump and 40 percent supporting the Green Party’s Jill Stein.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    2 weeks ago

Amer Ghalib, who leads city in battleground state of Michigan, says the Republican is the ‘right choice’, despite disagreements. The mayor of the only city in the United States with an all-Muslim government has endorsed former President Donald Trump for November’s presidential election.  Amer Ghalib, who leads the city of Hamtramck in the crucial battleground state of Michigan, said on Sunday that the Republican candidate is a “man of principles” and “the right choice”, despite their disagreements on some issues.

Trump reposted Ghalib’s endorsement on his Truth Social platform shortly after the announcement.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Krishna @1    2 weeks ago
Amer Ghalib, who leads city in battleground state of Michigan, says the Republican is the ‘right choice’, despite disagreements.

Will he be singing the same tune when Trump throws him out of the country? 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    2 weeks ago

... for looking like an illegal.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    2 weeks ago
Amer Ghalib, who leads city in battleground state of Michigan, says the Republican is the ‘right choice’, despite disagreements.

When I first started to vote, there was an election where i didn't like either of the candidates and was thinking of not voting. Someone older and wiser pointed out that the smarter thing to do in a situation like that is to vote-- for the candidate that was "the least worst"!

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    2 weeks ago
for looking like an illegal.

Not sure what an illegal looks like.  What do you see?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.3    2 weeks ago

somebody a few shades off white on the maga color wheel ...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.1.4    2 weeks ago

What race do you call that?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.5    2 weeks ago

To the racist mind there are whites and non whites, and thats all. Two races. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    2 weeks ago

Did Trump ever say that he would do that, or is this just fantasy?

goose is back
Junior Guide
1.1.8  goose is back  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    2 weeks ago
Trump throws him out of the country

Why would he do that?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1    2 weeks ago

I've used that "the least worst" phrase myself to describe my feelings about this election. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    2 weeks ago

There aren't any good choices this election.

We got two clowns running and both are bad for the country.

Kind of funny that you, across the world, can recognize that and millions here are too blind to see it.

[deleted][]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.1    2 weeks ago
''Kind of funny that you, across the world, can recognize that and millions here are too blind to see it."

I was educated in Canada.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.2    2 weeks ago
I was educated in Canada.

And I know it was a fine education that served you well.

But you haven't been on this side in quite a while if I remember your posts correctly!

So kudos to you for recognizing what millions seemingly can not grasp.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.1    2 weeks ago

Okay, let me rephrase that.

Millions of highly intelligent, critical thinkers will vote for one of the two major-party candidates, and one of them will win.

America will lose.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.4    2 weeks ago

How, in your reality, does America win?

No matter what you do, one of these two will be elected PotUS.   So how, precisely, does abstaining from voting for the better candidate make America win?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.5    2 weeks ago

Not doing this with you again.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.7  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.6    2 weeks ago

Then I suggest you stop making your emotive claim that those who exercise their vote for PotUS are in some way engaging in a stupid or irresponsible act.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.7    2 weeks ago
Then I suggest you stop making your emotive claim that those who exercise their vote for PotUS are in some way engaging in a stupid or irresponsible act.

Spare me your 'suggestions'.

Now, take the last word.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.9  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.8    2 weeks ago
Now, take the last word.

Okay.   

You keep insulting patriots who are using their vote to pick the individual they feel is best to be PotUS and I will continue to challenge you to back up your insult with an actual argument.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.1    2 weeks ago

I did not flag your comment, maybe someone else did and I don't know who or why.  If I had flagged it the system would have blocked me from posting this reply.  I tried to send you a PN. 

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2.11  squiggy  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.9    2 weeks ago
"You keep insulting patriots who are using their vote to pick the individual they feel is best to be PotUS..."
I'm speechless.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.10    2 weeks ago
I did not flag your comment, maybe someone else did and I don't know who or why. 

Oh, I know it wasn't you, Buzz. Never crossed my mind it was you.

Why rarely matters anyways.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.13  Texan1211  replied to  squiggy @1.2.11    2 weeks ago

The premise is so flawed its laughable.

People aren't voting for who they think is best, many are voting for who they think won't be as bad as the other. I know people will say it isn't true, but read the comments here and you will see it to be so.

Pitiful way to vote, and the results of such foolishness is exemplified by the 'choices' we have.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.14  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.13    2 weeks ago
People aren't voting for who they think is best, many are voting for who they think won't be as bad as the other.

There is no difference.

If Trump is worse than Harris then Harris is better than Trump.

If A < B then B > A.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.14    2 weeks ago
There is no difference.

There is.

Many people are voting for one clown or the other solely because they think one clown is worse.  Such people are doing EXACTLY what I said. That is simply an undeniable fact, and whether you acknowledge it or not matters not.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.16  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.15    2 weeks ago

If Trump is worse than Harris then Harris is better than Trump.

If A < B then B > A.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.17  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.16    2 weeks ago

Thanks for proving my precise point so adeptly.

People are voting based on the opponent's flaws, not on the merits of the one they vote for.

I, personally, refuse to take part in such useless endeavors.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.18  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.17    2 weeks ago
I, personally, refuse to take part in such useless endeavors.

So instead you will leave it up to others to determine the next PotUS.

Some people are voting for Harris because she is the least worst for the nation.

Others are voting for Harris because of her positives compared to Trump.

Others (like me) are voting for Harris-Walz for BOTH reasons.

You, however,  claim that you will not vote at all and you think that by not voting this will somehow cause the parties to produce better candidates.   Even though voting for third parties and abstaining have not accomplished that for well over a century now.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.19  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.18    2 weeks ago

I can't stop people from voting for the lesser of two evils, but history shows what happens when folks do.

We get clowns as nominees.

And since you claim I stated I won't vote, prove it  Quote me.

I am not "leaving it up to others", as I have repeatedly told you time and time again I will vote. Unclear to me is why you invent positions for me and expect me to defend myself from your erroneous, false imaginings.

My vote will count the exact same as yours, so your theory is drowning for a lack of logic.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.20  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.19    2 weeks ago
And since you claim I stated I won't vote, prove it  Quote me.

You have claimed (I do not believe you) that you will not vote for Harris or Trump.   If that is the case then you are letting others determine who is the next president.

I can't stop people from voting for the lesser of two evils, but history shows what happens when folks do.

History does NOT show that voting for the lesser of two is the reason we have poor candidates.   You are simply declaring that without any facts to support your declaration.

The problem is more likely that we do not hold our politicians accountable.   People vote by name-recognition, party-affiliation, single-issue, etc.   They also believe too many of the lies by politicians.   When two candidates are running, abstaining from voting for one of them accomplishes nothing.   Even if 99% of the population followed your ridiculous theory, all that would happen is that the remaining 1% would decide the election.

Politicians know this and that is what allows them to behave poorly and remain in power.

I have outlined what is required to break this trend.   It is not easy.   It has not been done in over 150 years.    We need a viable third party.   And this is what is required to achieve that:

• at least $1 billion in campaign funding
  • a charismatic, dynamic candidate who inspires people to vote for him or her
  • a policy of broad appeal
  • an experienced, energized, well-populated ground force
  • time prior to the election to establish name-recognition, communicate policy, etc.

Until we have a viable third party, you and others voting third party or abstaining will accomplish the same thing it has in the past 150 years:  nothing.   The Libertarian party has been around for over 50 years and only minor, local politicians have been elected as Libertarians.

Merely voting third party on election day as you suggest will continue to accomplish nothing.   Your logic is profoundly flawed.   By refusing to vote for a viable candidate, you are not contributing anything useful and letting others decide the presidency.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.21  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.20    2 weeks ago

Can you quote me saying I won't vote, as you earlier claimed?

You have claimed (I do not believe you) that you will not vote for Harris or Trump

Your beliefs have nothing to do with me.

You claim to not be partisan.

If that is the case then you are letting others determine who is the next president.

You are just wrong on the facts. All votes are counted. My vote for someone other than the two clowns will count exactly as much as your vote for a clown will. That is where the logic you are attempting to employ fails you.

The problem is more likely that we do not hold our politicians accountable

Certainly not with millions voting for someone only because they aren't as bad as the other one.

It is clear to me that certain folks will whine about politics in general and then do everything to support politics as usual.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.22  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.21    2 weeks ago
My vote for someone other than the two clowns will count exactly as much as my vote.

Strawman.   I did not argue that a third party vote does not get counted.   I argued that it demonstrably (150 years now) will not make any difference in who is elected PotUS (except as a spoiler in a close election).     

Certainly not with millions voting for someone only because they aren't as bad as the other one.

Correct, that will not fix the problem of having poor politicians.   And I have not argued that it will.   What it will do, however, is deal with the problem at hand.   Right now the problem at hand is that Trump is entirely unfit and there is a way to fix that problem.

I have outlined what is required to start fixing the problem of having poor choices.   That boils down to competition (at least one viable third party) so that voters are not constantly flipping between D and R or voting third party in a pathetic hope that this will fix the problem sometime ... somehow naive wishful thinking.

To build a viable third party that one can vote for and not have their vote be counted and then accomplish nothing we need:

• time prior to the election to establish name-recognition, communicate policy, etc.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.2.23  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.21    2 weeks ago

It can be so simple. Vote for whoever you want for whatever reasons you see fit. I may or may not agree with your choice or your reasons but you don't need to justify them to me. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.24  TᵢG  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.2.23    2 weeks ago

Note how this started:

Texan@1.2.13 ☞ People aren't voting for who they think is best, many are voting for who they think won't be as bad as the other. I know people will say it isn't true, but read the comments here and you will see it to be so. Pitiful way to vote, and the results of such foolishness is exemplified by the 'choices' we have.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.25  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.22    2 weeks ago
Strawman. 

No more than you claiming I stated something and then being unable to prove it.

I did not argue that a third party vote does not get counted

And I certainly never said you did. Argue something I have actually stated. My point is clear: ALL votes are counted. If you wish to dispute that, have at it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.26  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.2.23    2 weeks ago
It can be so simple. Vote for whoever you want for whatever reasons you see fit. I may or may not agree with your choice or your reasons but you don't need to justify them to me. 

Very simple indeed.

But it makes zero sense to me personally to whine about politics and then do everything possible to ensure it continues on as it is now.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.27  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.25    2 weeks ago

You are deflecting from my argument since you obviously cannot counter it.

Nothing is accomplished by merely voting third party on election day.   To accomplish something by voting third party we need to first build a viable third party.   That requires:

You have no rebuttal, just deflection.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.28  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.24    2 weeks ago
Pitiful way to vote, and the results of such foolishness is exemplified by the 'choices' we have.

I do think it is a pitiful way to vote.

I prefer to vote for someone rather than against someone.

You yourself have stated we have poor choices this election. It really didn't get any better choice-wise with the installation of Kamala instead of Biden. I know the people with money demanded that from Democrats.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.29  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.27    2 weeks ago
You are deflecting from my argument since you obviously cannot counter it

Wrong but expected. I didn't deflect, just not going to rehash the same old shit with you because I know what happens.

No need to talk about deflecting to me, I see some in your posts, too.

I gave your comment the exact rebuttal it deserves.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.30  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.28    2 weeks ago
It really didn't get any better choice-wise with the installation of Kamala instead of Biden.

I disagree.    Biden was too old and his ability to communicate had dropped precipitously.

In contrast to Trump, Harris is presidential, youthful (perfect age), articulate, energetic, positive, intelligent, and will use the power of the presidency for the good of the nation, not her own good as Trump clearly will do.

There are good reasons to vote for Harris-Walz.   On top of personal qualities, I support an agenda that embraces in a practical sense renewable energy and responsible climate change policies.   I support helping ambitious children with the right attitude and aptitude to get a quality education that enables them to realistically acquire a higher education and contribute to the GDP with their professional efforts.   Even though the team will likely put favor a more liberal agenda than my liking, they represent a normal presidential team such as we have had in the past.   Trump, in contrast, is entirely unfit for office.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.31  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.30    2 weeks ago

Everyone has an opinion.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.2.32  Right Down the Center  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.24    2 weeks ago

Yea, I know

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.33  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.2.32    2 weeks ago

Seemed clear, right?

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.2.34  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.26    2 weeks ago
But it makes zero sense to me personally to whine about politics and then do everything possible to ensure it continues on as it is now.

It does seem counterintuitive but it is their choice and they are welcome to it.  It seems some voting third party are doing it to send a message for future elections, can't bring themselves to vote for either person as a "they are not the other guy" vote or just feel they are compromising their integrity if they don't feel they are voting for the best candidate,

And they are welcome to do that also without me trying to convince them of anything or without having them think they need to convince me of anything.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.2.35  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.33    2 weeks ago

Seems like a difference of opinion being rehashed with no new ground being covered or minds being changed.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.36  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.30    2 weeks ago

MAGA nitwits have convinced themselves that Harris is dumb.  This mostly originated on social media.  Now that reality has disproven them they keep flailing away. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.37  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.30    2 weeks ago
I disagree.    Biden was too old and his ability to communicate had dropped precipitously.

That isn't what Kamala Harris or any other Democrats said about Biden. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.38  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.36    2 weeks ago
MAGA nitwits have convinced themselves that Harris is dumb.

Not everyone who thinks Kamala is dumb is MAGA.

[deleted][]

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.2.39  Right Down the Center  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.30    2 weeks ago

Wow, she sounds great.  I strongly suggest you vote for her.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.2.40  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.38    2 weeks ago

I am partial to blue cheese, especially if there are buffalo wings involved.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.41  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.2.34    2 weeks ago
but it is their choice and they are welcome to it. 

Certainly true there.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.42  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.37    2 weeks ago

What Harris or the Ds in general stated about Biden is irrelevant.   I was not reporting on their statements, I made my statement about Biden.   

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2.43  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.38    2 weeks ago
t everyone who thinks Kamala is dumb is MAGA.

Anyone who watched her last interview, with one of her cheerleaders no less, understands she lacks the ability to translate hr thoughts into coherent words. And that's about the nicest thing that can be said about her intellect. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.44  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.42    2 weeks ago
What Harris or the Ds in general stated about Biden is irrelevant

That is ridiculous.

It speaks volumes about their credibility.

I claimed nothing about you reporting their statements.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.46  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2.43    2 weeks ago

Every word spot on.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.47  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.44    2 weeks ago

It is irrelevant to my comment.    I even explained this to you in my post:

TiG@1.2.42What Harris or the Ds in general stated about Biden is irrelevant.   I was not reporting on their statements, I made my statement about Biden.   

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.48  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.47    2 weeks ago

great.

goose is back
Junior Guide
1.2.49  goose is back  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.42    2 weeks ago
What Harris or the Ds in general stated about Biden is irrelevant.

It's absolutely relevant, Biden was the Democrat nominee that received over 14 million votes and low and behold Harris is now the nominee without getting a single vote in a primary, ever.  The Democrats have thrown democracy out the window.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.50  Texan1211  replied to  goose is back @1.2.49    2 weeks ago

It goes to credibility.

Can voters trust and vote for a member of a political party who has blatantly lied about Biden's condition?

I think it would be unwise to do so.

goose is back
Junior Guide
1.2.51  goose is back  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.50    2 weeks ago
I think it would be unwise to do so.

I would agree. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.52  TᵢG  replied to  goose is back @1.2.49    2 weeks ago
It's absolutely relevant, ...

Try reading what people write before commenting.    You are totally off base.

Please don't tell me about a threat to democracy, when the democrats threw democracy out the window.  

WTF are you talking about now?    If you are replying to someone, at least try to make a comment that is relevant to what was written.

Here, this is what I wrote:

TiG @1.2.42  ☞ What Harris or the Ds in general stated about Biden is irrelevant.    I was not reporting on their statements, I made  my  statement about Biden

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
1.2.53  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.50    2 weeks ago

I would think it would at least raise a red flag and make one question her credibility but I am sure she will get a pass with the but but but Trump says bigger lies group.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.54  Texan1211  replied to  goose is back @1.2.49    2 weeks ago
Biden was the Democrat nominee that received over 14 million votes and low and behold Harris is now the nominee without getting a single vote in a primary, 

The money folks connected to the DNC made the change.

Seems as though they lost confidence in Biden, and to hell with what the people wanted!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.55  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.2.53    2 weeks ago

we all know partisans will be voting for her. and stuff like this will be ignored.

goose is back
Junior Guide
1.2.56  goose is back  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.52    2 weeks ago
WTF are you talking about now? 

I am so sorry, I could swear you have used those words to describe Trump am I wrong about that? 

(there I fixed it for you)

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.57  TᵢG  replied to  goose is back @1.2.56    2 weeks ago

You replied to my comment with a non-sequitur.

Read what people write and respond accordingly.   

I am so sorry, I could swear you have used those words to describe Trump am I wrong about that? 

I personally have not called Trump a threat to Democracy.   So you are wrong.

Relying upon resumed stereotypes instead of specifics causes one to get things wrong.   If that is what you are doing, I suggest you toss the stereotype crap.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.58  Texan1211  replied to  goose is back @1.2.49    2 weeks ago

many of those committed to voting for Harris are laser focused on Trump's outrageous comments and lies to care about her credibility.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.59  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.58    2 weeks ago

Your daily jive has gone way past tolerable. 

You claim to be against both Trump and Harris (before it was Biden) but 95% of your negative comments are about the Democrat. Do you seriously believe everyone cant see what you are doing?/ ROFL. 

Your're lucky all this nonsense is allowed here.  I'd delete every comment you make about how you think everyone should vote third party. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.60  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.59    2 weeks ago

sorry you didn't care for my post.

Can you argue against anything specifically that I wrote in it?

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.61  CB  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.30    2 weeks ago

I have a question about fossil fuel (gas) left in the ground never touched: Will it explode (massively) if never used? What happens to the 'build-up'?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.62  TᵢG  replied to  CB @1.2.61    2 weeks ago

Fossil fuels in raw form have little to no oxygen and are not under the kind of pressure that leads to combustion.    They will simply remain in the Earth.   Further, they are not building up, for all intents and purposes, given the building is done at a very slow pace.   The current fossil fuels have been in the Earth for at least 50 million years.

GregTx
Professor Guide
1.2.63  GregTx  replied to  CB @1.2.61    2 weeks ago

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.64  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.20    2 weeks ago
You have claimed (I do not believe you) that you will not vote for Harris or Trump. 

That is certainly not even remotely related to me allegedly claiming I won't vote, and is a deflection  from me asking you to quote me.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.65  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.64    2 weeks ago

You claimed that you will not vote for Harris or Trump.   They are the only two viable candidates.    If you vote for anyone else or if you abstain, you will accomplish nothing.

History does NOT show that voting for the lesser of two is the reason we have poor candidates.   You are simply declaring that without any facts to support your declaration.

The problem is more likely that we do not hold our politicians accountable.   People vote by name-recognition, party-affiliation, single-issue, etc.   They also believe too many of the lies by politicians.   When two candidates are running, abstaining from voting for one of them accomplishes nothing.   Even if 99% of the population followed your ridiculous theory, all that would happen is that the remaining 1% would decide the election.

Politicians know this and that is what allows them to behave poorly and remain in power.

I have outlined what is required to break this trend.   It is not easy.   It has not been done in over 150 years.    We need a viable third party.   And this is what is required to achieve that:

Until we have a viable third party, you and others voting third party or abstaining will accomplish the same thing it has in the past 150 years:  nothing.   The Libertarian party has been around for over 50 years and only minor, local politicians have been elected as Libertarians.

Merely voting third party on election day as you suggest will continue to accomplish nothing.   Your logic is profoundly flawed.   By refusing to vote for a viable candidate, you are not contributing anything useful and letting others decide the presidency.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.66  CB  replied to  GregTx @1.2.63    2 weeks ago

Now that is a "happy" planet Earth!

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.67  CB  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.62    2 weeks ago

Thank you, TiG! :)

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    2 weeks ago

Michigan is one of seven key swing states expected to decide the outcome of November’s contest between Trump and his Democratic Party rival, Vice President Kamala Harris. Opinion polls suggest a tight race between Trump and Harris both nationally and in battlegrounds such as Michigan. In the most recent average of polls compiled by The New York Times, Harris leads Trump in Michigan by 50 percent to 47 percent.

Trump won Michigan in the 2016 election against Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton, becoming the first Republican to prevail in the state since George HW Bush in 1988. President Joe Biden flipped the state back to the Democrats in 2020, beating Trump by a margin of about 150,000 votes.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2    2 weeks ago

And now, it's anybody's guess. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    2 weeks ago

In a poll released by the Council on American-Islamic Relations in August, just 12 percent of Muslim voters in Michigan expressed support for Harris, with 18 percent backing Trump and 40 percent supporting the Green Party’s Jill Stein.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3    2 weeks ago

Hard to understand why Ghalib decided that he had to choose between two bad choices, although he could have gone to the choice the greatest number of his city's residents did, to Jill Stein of the Green Party, but then she's Jewish, eh?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4  Hal A. Lujah    2 weeks ago

Sounds like an attempted insurance policy.  I used to see punk shows in Hamtramck in my teens.  It was a rough area.