╌>

U.S. speeds approval of citizenship applications as election nears - Los Angeles Times

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 weeks ago  •  36 comments

By:   Andrea Castillo and Alex Wigglesworth (Los Angeles Times)

U.S. speeds approval of citizenship applications as election nears - Los Angeles Times
Many immigrants want to get citizenship in time to vote in the upcoming election. The Biden administration says the uptick in new citizens is due to efforts to reduce a backlog of applications that mounted during the COVID-19 pandemic.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Hundreds of people from 63 countries packed into a Riverside theater last week to take the oath of citizenship. American flags lined the stage as messages conveying the immigrants' new power played on a large screen:

"Today, I am an American. Today, I am a citizen of the country I serve. Today, I can register to vote."

The 775 people who participated in the naturalization ceremony Sept. 19 are part of a wave of new U.S. citizens being sworn in across the country, as immigration authorities approve citizenship applications at the fastest speed in a decade.

Immigrants sing the national anthem before being sworn in as U.S. citizens at a naturalization ceremony in Riverside. (Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times)

The Biden administration says the uptick in new citizens is due to efforts to reduce a backlog of applications that began during the Trump administration and exploded amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Immigration officials said the timing is not driven by the election or any political agenda.

The Department of Homeland Security "does not take actions based on electoral politics or upcoming elections. Period," spokesperson Naree Ketudat said. She added that the agency has endeavored to process naturalization petitions within six months for decades.

Former President Trump and his Republican allies have long repeated baseless claims that Democrats are admitting immigrants into the U.S. for political gain and allowing them to vote unlawfully. The issue even made its way into the government spending bill this month when House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) tried unsuccessfully to insert a GOP proposal to require states to obtain proof of U.S. citizenship when people register to vote.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

The Department of Homeland Security "does not take actions based on electoral politics or upcoming elections. Period," spokesperson Naree Ketudat said.

Immanuel Kant regarded any lie as immoral. I wonder what he would have thought of the current US government.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 weeks ago

Is there something illegal about speeding up the process that has fallen far behind due to the pandemic in its legal purpose and procedures?  My son, who resides in Milwaukee, recently obtained dual citizenship, now American besides his Canadian citizenship by birth.  (His wife and their children are all Americans by birth.)  Can you find fault with that as well?  Do you think they rushed him through to earn his vote?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    2 weeks ago
Is there something illegal about speeding up the process that has fallen far behind due to the pandemic in its legal purpose and procedures? 

It should not be done on the eve of an election, nor should the Fed be cutting interest rates on the eve of an election, nor should a foreign leader be walking around a defense plant with only democrats on the eve of an election.

My son, who resides in Milwaukee, recently obtained dual citizenship, now American besides his Canadian citizenship by birth.  (His wife and their children are all Americans by birth.)  Can you find fault with that as well?

Ah, no.

Do you think they rushed him through to earn his vote?

Yup, they might see any new citizen as a possible democrat voter.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    2 weeks ago
"Yup, they might see any new citizen as a possible democrat voter."

They could have been wrong if I had applied.  I might have written Liz Cheney's name on my ballot. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    2 weeks ago
It should not be done on the eve of an election

What nation do you live in, it's always election eve in the US?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @1.1.3    2 weeks ago

When the former 'president' convicted felon rapist traitor is involved? Of course!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hallux @1.1.3    one week ago
It should not be done on the eve of an election
What nation do you live in, it's always election eve in the US?

I bet it would have been demanded that it be done right up to Nov 4 if the advantage would have been for the Republicans. 

Dig
Professor Participates
1.2  Dig  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 weeks ago
Immanuel Kant regarded any lie as immoral.

Which is incorrect. In particular circumstances a lie can be perfectly moral, but that's another topic.

I wonder what he would have thought of the current US government.

Considering he was a classical republican (small r there), he'd think better of it than he would have between 2016 and 2020.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dig @1.2    2 weeks ago
In particular circumstances a lie can be perfectly moral, but that's another topic.

Not as far as Kant was concerned.

Considering he was a classical republican.

Who knew!

Dig
Professor Participates
1.2.2  Dig  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    2 weeks ago

Please tell me you don't think Kant would be a Trump supporter. Trump has shown you over and over again that he's a criminally-minded authoritarian, the antithesis of rule-of-law republicanism.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dig @1.2.2    2 weeks ago
Please tell me you don't think Kant would be a Trump supporter.

I don't think he would support either candidate.

I was more interested in what he would have thought of our government officials who routinely lie to the people.

Dig
Professor Participates
1.2.4  Dig  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.3    2 weeks ago
government officials who routinely lie to the people

The 'alternative facts' government ended almost 4 years ago.

What do you consider examples of the current administration routinely lying?

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.3    2 weeks ago
I was more interested in what he would have thought

What Kant thought changed during his latter years ... something to emulate.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dig @1.2.4    one week ago
What do you consider examples of the current administration routinely lying?

Full List Of Every Lie Biden Has Told As POTUS: 249 And Counting (thefederalist.com)

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.7  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.6    one week ago

Yet, Trump told 3,000 verified lies in his four year Presidency...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.8  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @1.2.7    one week ago

Verified by whom?

Any real response to the Biden lies?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.9  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1.2.7    one week ago

The former 'president' convicted felon rapist traitor conman tells about 100 on a daily basis - he's been 'campaigning' for four years now - ever since his incitement of the failed insurrection on 1/6.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.10  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.8    one week ago

original

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.11  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.9    one week ago
The former 'president

The question was:

What do you consider examples of the current administration routinely lying?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.12  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.11    one week ago

That's hilarious.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.2.13  1stwarrior  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.11    one week ago

Every time they open their mouths.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.2.14  1stwarrior  replied to  JBB @1.2.7    one week ago

[]

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.2.15  bugsy  replied to  JBB @1.2.7    one week ago

[]

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.2.16  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.9    one week ago

[]

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    2 weeks ago

It's utter bullshit as usual from the democrats. It's doubtful that there will be enough of these newcomers to change the outcome of the election.

They sure seem desperate to hang on to their leftist ideology.  It's becoming very important to hang onto the House and flip a few seats in the Senate.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @2    2 weeks ago
They sure seem desperate to hang on to their leftist ideology.

And they seem to believe that changing the voters is the way,

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Greg Jones @2    2 weeks ago
It's utter bullshit as usual from the democrats. It's doubtful that there will be enough of these newcomers to change the outcome of the election.

You’re so certain they’ll all vote Democrat? You have some special inside information?

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    2 weeks ago

Part of somebody's plan 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  charger 383 @3    2 weeks ago

They pull out all the stops, yet the needle hasn't moved for Harris.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    2 weeks ago
They pull out all the stops, yet the needle hasn't moved for Harris.

And you are complaining about an imaginary ''plot'' to win the election. LMAO paranoia strikes.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    one week ago

Of course it has moved, at least 5 points ahead of the former 'president' felon traitor.   Can he even vote for himself?  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @3    2 weeks ago

Whose plan?

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     2 weeks ago

More whining from the right, hopefully, mostly minorities that will drive the MAGA crazy. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @4    2 weeks ago

GYcp3_UbwAAbleq?format=jpg&name=small

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_54_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    2 weeks ago

It seems like conservatives are mad because they assume these people will all vote Democrat. Why would you assume that? Because they don’t look like you?