╌>

Former Colorado county clerk Tina Peters sentenced to 9 years for election tampering - ABC News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  evilone  •  6 days ago  •  65 comments

By:   ABC News

Former Colorado county clerk Tina Peters sentenced to 9 years for election tampering  - ABC News
Tina Peters was convicted for giving an individual affiliated with MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell, an ally of former President Trump, access to county election software.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The former clerk was convicted of breaching an elections computer system.

ByLaura RomeroOctober 3, 2024, 3:06 PM

Former Mesa County clerk Tina Peters was sentenced to nine years in prison for leading a security breach of the county's election system after being inspired by false and baseless claims of voting fraud.

Peters was convicted for giving an individual affiliated with MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell, an ally of former President Donald Trump, access to the election software she used for her county. Screenshots of the software appeared on right-wing websites.

She was found guilty of most charges of election tampering and misconduct.

"Your lies are well documented, and these convictions are serious," District Judge Matthews Barrett said. "I'm convinced you would do it all over again if you could. You're as defiant as a defendant as this Court has never seen."

"There are many things in my mind that are crystal clear about this case, you are no hero," Barrett added. "You abused your position, and you're a charlatan who used and is still using your prior position in office to peddle a snake oil that's been proven to be junk, time and time again."

Barrett called the damage done by Peters to undermine the integrity of elections "immeasurable."

Before being sentenced, Peters took the stand to ask for probation, and told the judge she "never did anything with malice" and believed she was serving the people in Mesa County.

tina-peters-ap-jef-241003_1727981352455_hpMain.jpg Candidate Tina Peters speaks during a debate for the state leadership position, Feb. 25, 2023, in Hudson, Colo.David Zalubowski/AP

"I'm not a criminal and I don't deserve to go into a prison where other people have committed heinous crimes," Peters said.

The former Mesa County clerk, who gave a lengthy and emotional speech, told the judge she would be willing to not talk about elections anymore if sentenced to probation.

"I really am remorseful," she said.

Peters became a leading figure fueling false and baseless conspiracy theories about election fraud after the 2020 election. Since then, Peters has held a number of election denial events with Lindell.

"I came to Colorado today because you have here in Colorado the key to the whole nation," Lindell said in 2022, "because you had a great county clerk, Tina Peters, (who) did her job."

Lindell has not been charged in the case.

During Thursday's hearing, election denier Douglas Frank, a Lindell associate, said Peters was among many election officials who were "understandably concerned" about the 2020 election.

"Tina Peters is no conspirator, Tina Peters is a patriot," Frank said.

Matt Crane, the executive director of the Colorado County Clerks Association, testified that Peters' actions have led directly to death threats against election officials in the state.

"We've seen long time clerks choose retirement due to the flames that Tina has willfully fanned," Crane said.

"These people have had their jobs made immeasurably harder by what Tina Peters did and her ongoing efforts to fuel the machine that continues to spread lies and disinformation," Crane said.

"But most importantly, her actions have contributed to millions of Americans developing a distrust in their election for no reason," he added.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

evilone
Professor Guide
1  seeder  evilone    6 days ago

From the article -

"Your lies are well documented, and these convictions are serious," District Judge Matthews Barrett said. "I'm convinced you would do it all over again if you could. You're as defiant as a defendant as this Court has never seen."

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  evilone @1    6 days ago

great minds ... I didn't see this so I'll delete my duplicate article...

besides, my fan club will likely participate more freely on yours .... jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @1.1    5 days ago

You have a fan club? All I have are a few friends. Damn!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1    5 days ago

I think I have some of the same fans as you.

I posted an article two days ago but I got suspended just when it went up so it was locked by NT.

The one I posted before got a lot of good comments with relatively few fan club members showing up.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1    5 days ago
Off topic but what republican nowadays isn't guilty of some type of fraud or something.....

L AS VEGAS (AP) — A Nevada Republican politician who ran unsuccessfully two years ago for state treasurer was found guilty Thursday of using funds raised for a statue honoring a slain police officer   for personal costs , including plastic surgery.

A jury convicted   Michele Fiore , a former Las Vegas city councilwoman and state lawmaker, of six counts of federal wire fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud,   KLAS-TV in Las Vegas reported . The weeklong trial in U.S. District Court in Nevada began last week.

Federal prosecutors said at trial that Fiore had raised more than $70,000 for the statue of a Las Vegas police officer shot and killed in 2014 in the line of duty, but instead spent the money on plastic surgery, rent and her daughter's wedding.

“Michele Fiore used a tragedy to line her pockets,” federal prosecutor Dahoud Askar said.

FBI agents in 2021 subpoenaed records and searched Fiore’s home in northwest Las Vegas in connection with her campaign spending. Sanft told the jury that the FBI’s investigation was “sloppy.”

The 54-year-old served in the state Legislature from 2012 to 2016, making headlines posing with guns and her family for Christmas cards. She was a Las Vegas councilwoman from 2017 to 2022.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.3    4 days ago

She's the one who thinks cancer is a fungus.

Stealing from a memorial fund.  Sounds about right.

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.5  Igknorantzruls  replied to  cjcold @1.1.1    4 days ago
You have a fan club? All I have are a few friends. Damn!

I got clubbed by a fan, and an alleged "friend" whilst clubbing for fish in AC...we got flagged from AC, so it was a hot ride to DC, where the Fan Club had given a few award winning belts to people who's pants were too loose

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Igknorantzruls @1.1.5    4 days ago

Was it an oscillating fan?  They can be unstable.

You always crack me up Iggy

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.7  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.6    4 days ago
Was it an oscillating fan?

some here think i'm a oscill

so,

i prove them correct

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 days ago

Colorado looking into threats on judge after Tina Peters sentenced in election case

Filip Timotija
Sat, October 5, 2024 at 10:12 AM EDT · 1 min read
fbfb0a24c27da8ee946dde33eac264e0
Colorado looking into threats on judge after Tina Peters sentenced in election case

Colorado court administrators are investigating threats against a district court judge and its staff after a former Colorado county clerk Tina Peters was sentenced this week in an election case.

District Court Judge Matthew Barrett sentenced Peters to nine years in prison on Thursday and disparaged her push of discredited claims about rigged voting machines in the 2020 presidential election. After the sentencing, the court staff started receiving both praise and threats, prompting the courthouse to add security.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.9  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.8    2 days ago

that side of the divide oozes with maga slime ...

evilone
Professor Guide
2  seeder  evilone    6 days ago

The number of people who have lost careers, broken their families and/or have been incarcerated around Trump's stolen election lies is staggering. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  evilone @2    6 days ago

... and well deserved by the maga participants. fucking gullible morons ...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.2  TᵢG  replied to  evilone @2    5 days ago

And as always, Trump has yet to be held accountable.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @2.2    5 days ago
"And as always, Trump has yet to be held accountable."

Or admit he was wrong in the things he did and/or said.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.1    5 days ago

Pretty damn sure that the DoJ will let him know very soon that he is not above the law as he has always thought he was.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @2.2    5 days ago

That's what kills me about all of this - he's innocent - yet all these folks found guilty already for following his schemes.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.2.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.3    4 days ago
he's innocent - yet all these folks found guilty already for following his schemes.

Well, I wouldn't say he's "innocent", he just hasn't been found guilty yet. Mob bosses rarely get their own hands dirty; they give their winks and nods to their underlings who do the dirty work and end up in prison. That's why it took so long to convict Al Capone, it was hard to prove all the crimes he'd committed when he had dozens of expendable muscle to take the fall for him. But like with Capone, it will eventually catch up to Trump even if it has to be charges of tax evasion used to bring him down.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2.4    4 days ago

I should have put 'innocent' in quotes  - lol - like I do with 'president'

devangelical
Professor Principal
3  devangelical    6 days ago

hopefully mike lindell sends her a my pillow and mattress topper for her back. I believe they have a 10 year warranty ...

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  devangelical @3    6 days ago
hopefully mike lindell sends her a my pillow and mattress topper for her back.

That might be difficult for Mike as his company is barely functioning as it is. He's been sued by nearly everyone who does business with him for non-payment.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.1  devangelical  replied to  evilone @3.1    6 days ago

too bad for him that we don't have coed prisons in colorado, maybe he can arrange for a conjugal visit with her ...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @3    5 days ago

She will sleep on thin scratchy bedding like everybody else.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.3  Split Personality  replied to  devangelical @3    5 days ago

She needs a magnetic mattress due to injuries suffered in weightlessness when she tried to escape the aliens who had abducted her... /s

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.3.1  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @3.3    5 days ago

wouldn't a space laser be able to reverse the polarity?

maybe her statements to the judge prior to sentencing that briefly danced around her antisemitic feelings disqualified her ...

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     6 days ago

The judge was right she has caused immeasurable damage including putting election officials' lives in danger.

I wonder if they have election officials in the prison you are going too?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1  TᵢG  replied to  Kavika @4    5 days ago

Yet it is a drop in the bucket compared to the damage Trump has caused.   But his supporters insist he has done nothing wrong.

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.1  Igknorantzruls  replied to  TᵢG @4.1    5 days ago
 But his supporters insist he has done nothing wrong.

Is it even p;ossible for him to do wrong...?

Cause i'm not convinced it is, after comments around here and my personal interaction with cult followers. I find it quite amazing their dying loyalty to one who would just flush them royally, as he wears the same suit, campaigning and by a court yet ordered, asz the cult liter has them more concerned with bordered, as they borderline insane, with nonsense-acull the heard arguments, as they seem unaware, or not to care, about the absurdity of their rationality, and leave it on display for the entire world to see.

It should be concerning to all.     

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Igknorantzruls @4.1.1    5 days ago

It does seem that insanity is actually infectious.

I wondered for decades whether Fox made folk insane or whether insane folk just gravitated towards Murdoch's far right fascist insanity.

It does seem that insane folk were just looking for validation.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.3  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @4.1.2    4 days ago

hopefully her resemblance to a mop won't be lost on her new peer group ...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @4.1.3    4 days ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    6 days ago

Now those who criminally conspired with Peters must get theirs too!

CB
Professor Principal
6  CB    5 days ago

All the more reason (and these are "personnel-laden') to not elect Crooked Donald as he will undoubtedly PARDON her and soon will be calling this judgement, "unfair" on any airwaves that will have him.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
7  Gsquared    5 days ago

She chose the path she would travel to her own detriment, and to ours.  She chose to engage in criminal misconduct. Now she will pay the price.  So be it.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1  CB  replied to  Gsquared @7    5 days ago

These "Crooked Donald-lites" traversers. When will they realize that Donald is not sharing his 'Teflon' with anybody beyond himself!  jrSmiley_72_smiley_image.gif   The hard way I guess: Go to Jail! Do not pass by it!

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.2  devangelical  replied to  Gsquared @7    5 days ago

she ran for the R candidate for Sec of state in '22, came in 3rd in the R primary, then claimed the election was stolen from her.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
7.2.1  Gsquared  replied to  devangelical @7.2    5 days ago

Oh, that's a surprise.  Sounds like she has a healthy dose of paranoia.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Gsquared @7.2.1    5 days ago

part of the lauren boebert western slope political clique back in '20.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.2.3  cjcold  replied to  Gsquared @7.2.1    5 days ago

Why is it that all far right-wing fascists claim foul when they lose?

Could it be a defect in their genetic makeup?

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.4  CB  replied to  cjcold @7.2.3    5 days ago

It's a 'formula' . . . Crooked Donald has 'perfected' the steps to it for potential trumpists to imitate. However, there is one caveat for trumpists: They lack the lawyering foundation that Crooked Donald has invested in all his life (and received the benefits from).

CB
Professor Principal
8  CB    5 days ago

Another unfortunate life-altering challenging 'moment' for a member of Crooked Donald's 'team' players!

CB
Professor Principal
9  CB    5 days ago

Has it struck anybody here just how 'all-consuming' Crooked Donald's politics are? Nine years of this man's rantings and whinings. . . he is still got more 'wind' in him. Are we DONE yet?!!!

Vote for somebody else!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.1  cjcold  replied to  CB @9    5 days ago

One must be insane to vote for an insane person.

Could it be that the far right here are actually Russian bots?

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.1  CB  replied to  cjcold @9.1    5 days ago

Could be, I have no indications of what/who they are. There recalcitrant behavior is due to a 'party' stance to be obstinate, defiant, and 'own' the libs! That is what is driving the Right. They view themselves as DONE with talking to liberals and progressives and now talk pass us, or opt to talk dismissively to our points. 

Trumpists, for all intent and purposes, are engaging in what they consider intentional political warfare with us. In which case, 'all' resources they can bring to bear (bots/lies/propaganda/negativism) are potentially useable.  

(I know about this, because I read about it all the time.)

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
9.1.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @9.1.1    5 days ago

[]

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
9.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Right Down the Center @9.1.2    5 days ago

removed for context

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
10  Drinker of the Wry    5 days ago

Very timely sentencing just a month out from the 24 election.  This is a flag to current election officials that break the law in the dubious search trying to substantiate false claims about election rigging.  Her defiant stand until the end almost suggests mental illness.

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.1  devangelical  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10    5 days ago

maga = mental acuity goes away ...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  devangelical @10.1    5 days ago

[]

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @10.1.1    5 days ago

[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @10.1    4 days ago

If it was ever present in the first place.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
10.2  cjcold  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10    5 days ago

And Comey did what to Hillary a week before the election?

Hillary did nothing to deserve it; Trump did.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11  sandy-2021492    5 days ago

I'm glad the judge called bullshit on her declarations of remorse.  She's only remorseful about the prison sentence.

evilone
Professor Guide
11.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  sandy-2021492 @11    5 days ago
She's only remorseful about the prison sentence.

Yup.

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.1.1  devangelical  replied to  evilone @11.1    5 days ago

scratch 1 trump voter ...

devangelical
Professor Principal
12  devangelical    5 days ago

hopefully her expedience into protective custody in prison rivals her march to justice ...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
13  Ed-NavDoc    5 days ago

She broke the law and is being punished accordingly.

devangelical
Professor Principal
14  devangelical    5 days ago

I wonder what the going rate is now to avoid regular beatings in prison ...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
14.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @14    5 days ago

What was it before Biden inflation?

devangelical
Professor Principal
14.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @14.1    5 days ago

a grilled cheese sandwich?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
14.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @14.1.1    5 days ago

Now you might have to add pickle slices.

Hallux
Professor Principal
14.1.3  Hallux  replied to  devangelical @14.1.1    5 days ago
a grilled cheese sandwich?

ICE gave me one of those at Houston Itnl, they let them age for several weeks ... something about keeping the orthodontist's main squeeze in the furball of her choice.

devangelical
Professor Principal
14.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @14.1.3    4 days ago

lucky for you that you're white ...

MrFrost
Professor Guide
15  MrFrost    4 days ago

Hahahahahahaha!!!!

devangelical
Professor Principal
15.1  devangelical  replied to  MrFrost @15    4 days ago

where's your hero now, tina?