╌>

New Superhenge?

Category:  Anthropology & Archeology

Via:  ambivalent  •  9 years ago  •  12 comments

New Superhenge?

388_discussions.jpg?width=750 (CNN) Stonehenge, the world-renowned circle of bluestone columns in an isolated field in southwest England, has been shrouded in mystery for centuries.

But it seems there's even more to this incomplete story from the Neolithic period -- archaeologists say they have uncovered traces of larger stone monuments less than 3 kilometers (2 miles) from Stonehenge.

The Stonehenge Hidden Landscape Project team says it has made the discovery beneath Durrington Walls, also known as "superhenge" -- one of the largest known henge monuments built about a century after Stonehenge, which is believed to have been completed 3,500 years ago.

"Our high-resolution ground penetrating radar data has revealed an amazing row of up to 90 standing stones, a number of which have survived after being pushed over, and a massive bank placed over the stones," said p rofessor Wolfgang Neubauer, director of the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Archaeological Prospection and Virtual Archaeology.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/07/europe/new-superhenge-discovery/index.html

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

Great find ambiv.

The use of gound penetrating radar has discovered many new finds that are changing history all over the world.

love this stuff.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    9 years ago

What "truth" do you think discovering more or different stones will uncover ?

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    9 years ago

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

How fascinating, dear ambi! Thanks for seeding this!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    9 years ago

Really cool Ambi. I have been to Stonehenge and it is a site to be seen. To know that there is something even more massive is just amazing.

cclayton
Freshman Silent
link   cclayton    2 years ago

Thanks for sharing this! There are so many great and fascinating facts about Stonehenge and its crazy to think its been around for over 5000 years. I don't think anymore truth can be uncovered from new stones, but I do think it supports previous theories. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cclayton   2 years ago

We appreciate that you discovered a 7 year old article on this site and signed up in order to comment on it.  However, the url you posted leads to a tour company's description and offering tours.  We do not allow links to commercial sites on thenewstalkers which are considered spam, so the reference to it and the url have been deleted from your comment.  I am sure there are many good descriptions and histories of Stonehenge on the web that anyone interested can seek out.