╌>

What you can do with a laser in the garage and time on your hands

Category:  Other

Via:  larry-crehore  •  10 years ago  •  31 comments

What you can do with a laser in the garage and time on your hands

I enjoy designing and making musicboxes keeps my mind working and the end products keep my hands busy.

4515_discussions.jpg?width=750 4516_discussions.jpg?width=750 4517_discussions.jpg?width=750 4518_discussions.jpg 4519_discussions.jpg These last two photos show a simple box laser cut, there are two screws in the entire bos and they hold the music movement in place.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    10 years ago

Looks really good . How do you "steer" the laser ?

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Larry Crehore    10 years ago

The top one and the bottom one play electronic music which I also had to design and the center one is designed to accept any Sankyo 18 note wind up movements.

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

My laser is designed to follow along an X and Y axis

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

How much power does the instrument beam ? Is it visible light ?

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

It is a red light and yes it is visible the wattage is 25 watts and it is an Epilog Mini, it is a CO2 laser.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

It sounds like the skill required is programming the controller to "carve" the design . And don't forget your eye protection !

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

The skill required is to make the designs first then program them to the laser. I have been doing this for the past 11 years.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Of course ... you need the creative eye first . Do you have a process for coming up with ideas ?

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

My music boxes with the exception of the Wurlitzer Military Band Organ are all my own concepts, the Wurlitzer took me 5 years just to locate and collect all the pieces needed to make a complete organ then the process was to scale every one of them down to 1/16th scale to make the music box. Then I had to make a PC board circuit that would allow me to both record and play back music recorded from the original instruments and it had to fit the box.

MalamuteMan
Professor Quiet
link   MalamuteMan    10 years ago

WOW!!!! Larry, those are fantastic!!!

Mal need something to keep his mind active too...

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    10 years ago

Very nice workmanship. You are a perfectionist, aren't you? I know the feeling well. It's a labor of love.

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

If anyone is interested I have videos of them on my FB page and you can listen to them.

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

Thank you Mal I just posted another that Mal will like.

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

Thank you Grumpy I think if you're going to waste the time to do it at least do it to the best of your ability.

Swamijim sez
Freshman Silent
link   Swamijim sez    10 years ago

Fabulous design & creativity and wonderful craftsmanship, Larry. That Wurlitzer is really a work of art. Do you by any chance have sequence pics of a project in various stages? I'd love to see the 'evolution' of a piece from design through assembly to finish.

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

In fact I didn't take photographs as it progressed, really didn't think of it, sorry.

Swamijim sez
Freshman Silent
link   Swamijim sez    10 years ago

I know the feeling well, LC... whether it's home remodeling projects or my own 'toys' (building Steampunk weaponry), I never think of doing time-lapse pics until it's way too late. Please do consider doing sequential pics on your next piece-- I'm sure many of us would appreciate a chance to watch your process as a graphic series, it would make for a really good 'extended article' with periodic updates.

Could you share a bit more about your equipment, please? I really had no idea that something like a computer-controlled laser would even be available for a 'home tinker'. From what you've posted so far, you've been at this for many years... would I be right in guessing that you'd been doing music boxes or similar things before you got ahold of laser tech?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     10 years ago

Wow Larry, those are just beautiful. Did you ever do anything like this before using the laser tech?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    10 years ago

I remember that in grade 11 I could choose one of three options: woodworking, motor mechanics or commercial (which consisted of learning to touch type and do bookkeeping). I chose commercial which of course made it easy to use a computer now, not having to look at the keyboard, placing my fingers on asdf jkl;.

In a way I wish I could have taken all three options. I used to enjoy working in wood - my favourite uncle was a carpenter who also was a perfectionist, and when I think of how much I've spent getting my car fixed I could faint. Anyway, I can see you are really talented and creative. Very good.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    10 years ago

When I saw the title to this article I thought it was about you sitting in your garage teasing your dog or cat with a laser beam. SMACK!! That was me slapping myself up side of the head.

Beautiful work !

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

My laser is made by Epilog Laser ( epiloglaser.com ), they are not cheap but the life of the laser has been amazing. They are easily maintained and as long as you take care of them they will work forever.

I have always tinkered with things all my life but until I got my laser I had not really given any thought to making any of my ideas actually work. I guess I got interested for real when I was asked to replicate an item from WWII. In my head I thought replicate why not reverse engineer instead. And so my interest in designing was born. That item was the Type J-1 Time of Run Sighting Angle Computer, for the Norden Bombsight:

4520_discussions.jpg 4521_discussions.jpg The finished project has found it's way into Museums around the world 23 to be exact. I only had photographs to start my design but was able to locate a man who had an original and was lucky to find him only miles from my home. When I explained my project he was eager to help me by allowing me hands on with his original. The J-1 is double sided as you can see and both sides work and are as accurate as the original. One of my reproductions was even used in a bombing run for a video and I was told it was as good as the original by the man who was using it.

As you can see my ideas come from every where, some work and as can be expected some don't.

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

Thank you Pat you can hear them play on my FB page if you are interested.

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

pat wilson
Professor Participates

I like the one you made for your cousin Craig, nice.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    10 years ago

Jeez Mon - those are AWESOME Grin.gif

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

That one plays the tune that he requested. I try as much as possible to meet the persons request for music if at all possible.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    10 years ago

Wow Larry,

These are amazing. I never knew you had such talent in you. Do you sell them?

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

I have although the Wurlitzer is a one of a kind for now.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    10 years ago

Great functional art and a work of art-within-art.

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent

Thank you for the kind words AMac. They have given me hour upon hour of entertainment in the design and making.

pat wilson
Professor Participates

What would it cost for one that plays "Shenandoah" ?