Recent Friends:

Phoenyx13 cjcold luther28 Uptownchick Don Overton al Jizzerror Perrie Halpern R.A. NV-Robin6 Dulay Tessylo Studiusbagus KatPen KatPen ArkansasHermit-too epistte cobaltblue T.Fargo katrix evilgenius sandy-2021492 DocPhil Eat The Press Do Not Read It Bobby Nguyen maninthebooth Lebowsky

Video killed the radio star

By:  Ender  •  Music Video  •  11 months ago  •  44 comments

Video killed the radio star

We have had articles about favorite music, favorite songs, favorite artists.

I don't know if we actually had one based on the visual video.

Back in the day they were usually cheaply made and cheesy. Even if the music was really good.

Sometimes the video did not even seem to match the song.

I think the first video that was played on MTV was Video Killed The Radio Star.

I think now with downloads and phones that are basically a radio or tape player, the video is a dying art.

Find text within the comments Find

1  author  Ender    11 months ago

My favorite visual video.

2  author  Ender    11 months ago

Another favorite. Love the visual.

3  Trout Giggles    11 months ago

I don't watch many videos, but I always did like Robert Palmer's videos with the models who all looked alike. Then there's my absolute favorite "Goodbye Earl"

sandy-2021492
3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    11 months ago

I'm shocked that you'd like something so subversive as "Goodbye Earl".  Shocked, I tell you!

Man, I love the Dixie Chicks.

lennylynx
3.1.1  lennylynx  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1    11 months ago

I love the Dixie chicks too, I mean, they could gangbang me ANY time, like, seriously!

sandy-2021492
3.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  lennylynx @3.1.1    11 months ago

I don't love them that way.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

sandy-2021492
4  sandy-2021492    11 months ago

Guns 'N Roses "November Rain".

Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal".

"Goodbye Earl".

a-ha's "Take On Me".

4.1  author  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4    11 months ago

Take on me was an unusual one.

sandy-2021492
4.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @4.1    11 months ago

That's why I liked it.

5  dave-2693993    11 months ago

Not really a music video, but my favorite video of music.

The energy of AC/DC, but much easier on the eyes.

Hal A. Lujah
6  Hal A. Lujah    11 months ago

Kind of ironic that the first video on MTV was called Video Killed the Radio Star, by a band who nobody had ever heard of, and nobody ever heard from again.  Video killed the video star.

sandy-2021492
6.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6    11 months ago

Does MTV even play videos anymore?

6.1.1  author  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1    11 months ago

I don't think they do. Music television does not even play music.

7  Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 months ago

I love a good music video. Here are a few that I think the music and the video form art:

Perrie's note: That last video Billy Joel made, since he had tried to commit suicide and wanted to help some troubled teens he met at the children's home here on Long Island, that he helped found.

And I didn't write any of that other stuff .. it comes imbedded with the video.

8  author  Ender    11 months ago

Thought of another one. The video has nothing to do with the song yet it is interesting.

8.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @8    11 months ago

Great video.. forgot about that one. Most def love the concept of the visuals.

epistte
8.2  epistte  replied to  Ender @8    8 months ago

I love Games Without Frontiers and Solsbury Hill.

The Magic Eight Ball
9  The Magic Eight Ball    11 months ago

music is my airplane :)

I like most anything from the 60's thru today

10  author  Ender    9 months ago

Spikegary
11  Spikegary    9 months ago

These guys love to have fun......

I liked this song and the message it came with:

12  dave-2693993    9 months ago

B52 - Give Me Back My Man

Maybe Cindy Wilson's best performance

13  dave-2693993    9 months ago

Sorry, gave up trying to find a Beatles Obla Di Obla Da, too many counterfeits, hope Sir Paul works.

14  Paula Bartholomew    9 months ago

Two videos I highly recommend are:

Say Say Say (Paul and Linda McCartney/LaToya and Michael Jackson)

I've Got My Mind Set On You (George Harrison)

Both are toe tapping and visually fun.

14.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @14    9 months ago
I've Got My Mind Set On You (George Harrison)

Of, course the first one that came to my mind was from another George, kind of a local fella. Slightly different title...I know, I am a bad boy sometimes...

14.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  dave-2693993 @14.1    8 months ago

The better video of I've Got My Mind Set On You is the one of Harrison singing in his den.  Even the books and a stuffed head rock out to it.

Split Personality
15  Split Personality    9 months ago

15.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Split Personality @15    9 months ago

Brings back memories of the first time my parents moved to Takoma Park, MD.

I don't care who says what, that was the hippie of the world back then.

Even today, if there is a nuke war, the nukes aren't invited.

Different time, different place, different experiences.

16  dave-2693993    8 months ago

Tune of the day.

Fifth Dimension, Aquarius.

17  dave-2693993    8 months ago

Gloria Estefan weekend.

Top 200

18  author  Ender    8 months ago

Great vids all. I need to catch up on a few of them.

19  author  Ender    3 months ago

20  dave-2693993    2 months ago

Didn't know where else to put this.

Dancers taking "hip hop" to a new level with athleticism and eastern influence.

Caution: Very Pretty Sexy Girls. Do not let that become an obstacle, especially the first few seconds.

20.1  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @20    2 months ago

P.S. I think the blonde gets some speed enhancement, at least in her first segment.

21  dave-2693993    2 months ago

Another take on Eastern Boys and Western Girls.

JohnRussell
22  JohnRussell    2 months ago

Never cared much for videos. Too many of them have nothing to do with the lyrics of the song. They are an exercise in catching the attention of people who dont want to use their imagination.

Prior to video, the listener would create their own mental images of the meaning of the lyrics. I like that approach better.

23  dave-2693993    one month ago

Well Here you go. The ever beautiful, sexy and almost Benny Hill like player of Parody; Olya (Olga) Polyakova. I came across this and just can't help myself. Breaks every damn rule of sensibility in the book.

P.S. For my ever faithful couple of fans always looking for a dig (you know who you are), Julia introduced me to Olya.

23.1  author  Ender  replied to  dave-2693993 @23    3 weeks ago

At first I thought ... a Russian Gaga.

Then the ... Russian style ... Haha

Great visual.

23.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Ender @23.1    3 weeks ago
Great visual.

She does a very good job at that, as she has an international audience.

That vid was taped before all hell broke lose at Maidan, but things were well in the works.

Olya is a Ukrainian comedian and performer who once benefited from Russian money and around 2010 began overtly cutting ties.

In the Benny Hiil way she is great with parody and has very strong loyalty to folks who had once performed/competed at world class and olympic levels and are now "over the hill". You can see it in their discipline. No sloppiness in execution as is common in US mainstream stuff. I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure she was past 50 at tha time and fully understood what age and life does to the body.

Even then she hammered Russia in that vid. The "Russian" guys are depicted as short, soviet era, muscle head stupid guys. She flat out states "Russia, No Life". Then and this was a bold portent dressed in black in red to rub it in the nose of Russia. Turns out those earth and blood groups are the ones who consistently stop the Russians. What a prediction and brings back not so good dreams of a prior time.

Olya helps puts things in perspective.

24  dave-2693993    3 weeks ago

24.1  author  Ender  replied to  dave-2693993 @24    3 weeks ago

What I love about older music is it was more about singing a tune, not yelling and screaming.

24.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Ender @24.1    3 weeks ago

Funny, my nephew (the one who helped build the 125 award wining "IROC" Mercedes, including the Ridler Award) and I were were just recently talkng about Petula Clark and this song, when this song came up for discussion. I have always loved that song since very young.

BTW this is the IROC Mercedes:

callawy.jpg

When it comes to singing, more and more I enjoy telling of a story. This is a reason I have become a fan of Olya Polyakova. The one vid up above would probably land her in actual Siberian camp or dead if she ever returns to Russia.

25  dave-2693993    2 weeks ago

26  dave-2693993    2 weeks ago

27  dave-2693993    4 days ago

Young man celebrity love.