Do I Believe in UFOs?

Via:  TᵢG  •  2 months ago  •  25 comments

Do I Believe in UFOs?
The public, it appears, seems to have a burning need to have an answer to what is unknown. And so you go from an abject statement of ignorance to an abject statement of certainty.

To comment, please join the group Critical Thinkers

Critical Thinkers

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Neil deGrasse Tyson offers an entertaining explanation of critical thinking and the notion of objectively evaluating evidence.

The first 11 minutes is where this happens.

TᵢG
1  seeder  TᵢG    2 months ago

Neil deGrasse Tyson makes his points in very entertaining, storytelling ways.

( As a bonus, the guy knows of which he speaks. )

epistte
2  epistte    2 months ago

I love his comments.

I would guess that there is a statistical probability of other life somewhere in the universe but I have doubts as to whether they have visited us for various reasons.

Gordy327
3  Gordy327    2 months ago

I enjoy Dr Tyson when he speaks. I particularly liked his narration on the updated Cosmos series several years back.

sandy-2021492
4  sandy-2021492    2 months ago

As much as I'd love to believe there will be a close encounter of the third kind in my lifetime, I doubt it.  At this point, I think it would more likely go along the lines of "The Day the Earth Stood Still", anyway.

Split Personality
4.1  Split Personality  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4    2 months ago

4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @4.1    2 months ago

I'm a big fan of "Ancient Aliens" on History Channel...but I watch it for the sheer entertainment value. Almost every episode features Chichenneya (forgive my spelling) or some other Mayan temple.

But I have to admit, when Buzz Aldrin speaks I tend to sit up a little bit straighter

sandy-2021492
4.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    2 months ago

There was way too much selective editing and too many "artist's renditions" in that teaser for me to take it seriously.

WallyW
5  WallyW    2 months ago

I think that it is very likely that microbial life exist somewhere in the vast Universe where the is liquid water, perhaps even in our Solar System. But it's hard to see that we will come across Klingons, Romulans, The Borg, or Species 8472 anytime soon.

Image result for species 8472

Split Personality
5.1  Split Personality  replied to  WallyW @5    2 months ago

Buzz Aldrin disagrees.

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
7  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη    2 months ago

Everytime I consume DMT I see aliens.

Raven Wing
8  Raven Wing    2 months ago

I have been a firm believer in life forms from other planets beyond our own for many years. IMHO, it is foolish to believe that humans here on earth are the only life forms in all the universe and beyond. They may not look like humans, nor act like humans, but, to think humans are the only viable life forms is really a bit short sighted given the expanse of the universe and beyond.

I also am a firm believer that there are those from other worlds that are living here among us that we simply do not choose to see, and have been for as long as our world began. They are not abominable creatures, but, have helped mankind develop advances in our world in areas of medicine, technology and science. As well as was to nurture Mother Earth and exploration of the universe to better understand how they impact our own lives.

Humans like to see ourselves as a far advanced species, and yet, we are truly mere piss ants in view of the majesty of the universe. There are many things that humans alone could not have imagined, much less, brought to the fore with only their own brain capacity, no matter how brilliant some may be thought to be.

However, I am not a big believer in UFO's, but, I maintain and open mind in that direction.

While I can't actually explain my thoughts and feelings of why I think and feel as I do, I have no reason to think they are without merit. And their aura does not lie.

Some tend to see me as being just a fruit and nut basket, with wayyy too many peanuts. Yet, they cannot prove me wrong.

Just my own OPINION.

mocowgirl
8.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Raven Wing @8    2 months ago

I agree.

Every now and then, Hollywood makes a decent movie about the "possibilities" in a non-threatening manner where our species is still at the top of the food chain.  LOL!

Raven Wing
8.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  mocowgirl @8.1    2 months ago

Indeed Hollywood and its minions have a great imagination and come up with all sorts of fantasies to stimulate our brains in the "What if's" of the unknown.

It is my own belief that we are exposed to those of other worlds in many aspects of our lives and don't really know it, as we are not looking for the reality of what is before us, as we have been made by Hollywood and some authors to believe that those from other worlds are only demons and horrific monsters who only want to destroy or conquer humans here on earth, or use them as a food source.

Frankly, for me that concept went out with stuff like "The Body Snatchers" and "Children of the Corn" type horror movies. It tends to paint a picture of alien life in a way that may not be such at all, and can make us blind to what can be right before our own eyes that may be nothing like what they have been made out to look and act like in our minds eye.

I am of the belief of "Never say never".....as it has been proved to be true throughout the history of our own planet.

My opinion.