PETA faces backlash after calling the word “pet” a derogatory term

Via:  Trout Giggles  •  8 months ago  •  88 comments

By:    Fox News

PETA faces backlash after calling the word “pet” a derogatory term

To comment, please join group SiNNERs and ButtHeads

SiNNERs and ButtHeads

Sure. I'm going to go home, look at Stubby and tell him he is my animal companion. That implies we are equals. He's not gonna go for that.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

(FOX NEWS) — The animal rights organization says calling an animal a “pet” patronizes the animal and people should call them “companions” instead PETA facing backlash after calling the word ‘pet’ derogatory.

The animal rights organization saying we should instead refer to them as ‘animal companions.’

Peta believes referring to an animal as a ‘pet’ reduces it from a being with a personality and emotions to an inanimate object.

Further saying we should see ourselves as their ‘guardians’, as opposed to ‘owners.’
This stance for PETA is not a new one.

In 2018 PETA was mocked for trying to change common phrases like ‘bringing home the bacon’ to ‘bringing home the bagels.’

1  seeder  Trout Giggles    8 months ago

I have a King and his name is Stubby. We are not "companions" because we are not equals. He also objects to the word "animal" because he is a God. Just ask him.

Snuffy
1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    8 months ago

LOL,  spoken like a true cat servant.

As I've always said, dogs have owners and cats have staff.

1.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Snuffy @1.1    8 months ago

If my one cat could speak and was asked if would like to be my equal, she would say "Oh hell no, I like being the superior as usual."

1.2  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    8 months ago

I miss having a cat. Dogs are clingy.

1.2.1  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @1.2    8 months ago

My two cats are getting clingier because they are senior cats now

1.2.2  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.1    8 months ago

My last one, Bosco, lived to be 18. He was a character. Several times I woke up with him laying on my chest staring at me. Loved to recline on a chair with one paw hanging off. Wait for someone to walk by and stick his claws out.

1.2.3  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @1.2.2    8 months ago

Both of mine tap me on my arm when they want attention

sandy-2021492
1.2.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.3    8 months ago

I have to build a pillow fort around my head at night to keep mine from combing my hair (and face) with his claws, demanding attention.

The dog is clingy, too, but knows when to give up asking for attention when my eyes are closed.

The cat doesn't care if I'm asleep.  When he wants attention, he wants it now.

1.2.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.4    8 months ago

Whenever I can't breathe at night, I find an 18lbs cat on my chest.

1stwarrior
1.2.6  1stwarrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.5    8 months ago

"I wuv U MoM" - do you kiss him back???

1.2.7  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.5    8 months ago

18 pounds???? What do you feed him? Small children?

My cats might weigh 11 pounds on a good day after demolishing an entire bag of treats.

1.2.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.7    8 months ago

My fatty hardly eats. He has a slow metabolism due to some meds he takes. I feel his pain, LOL!

1.2.9  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.8    8 months ago

Awww....poor baby.

Stubby used to be pretty tubby but he's lost some weight as he's gotten older. He still has his "flabba" tho...it's that pouch of skin between their back legs that swings when they walk.

1.2.10  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.9    8 months ago

That pouch happens when they are neutered males. But even intact ones will get that. Think of lions.

So I found a current photo of my loveable tubby Wally.

Here he is:

1.2.11  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.10    8 months ago

He's a very handsome boy. I love his eyes

1.2.12  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.11    8 months ago

Thanks! I think I'll keep him (even if he is a fatty). He is actually very much dog like and is glued to me all day long.

Raven Wing
1.2.13  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.10    8 months ago

What a beauty your fur baby Wally is. He looks very regal. jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
1.2.14  charger 383  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.10    8 months ago

Wally is a good looking cat

1.2.15  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @1.2.13    8 months ago

Awww.. thanks Raven. I'll tell him!

1.2.16  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  charger 383 @1.2.14    8 months ago

Thanks Charger. He's even a great guy! Right now he is curled up next to me purring away.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
1.2.17  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.15    8 months ago
I'll tell him!

Don't do it!  His pomposity already knows no bounds.

1.2.18  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @1.2    8 months ago

I have had more than one "cling" to my leg.

Ed-NavDoc
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    8 months ago

I have two cats in my house. They are the owners and I am just the lowly tenant!

Freefaller
1.3.1  Freefaller  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3    8 months ago

Don't be so modest you're also the cleaner and provider of food

1.3.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Freefaller @1.3.1    8 months ago

Haters! LOL!

Freefaller
1.3.3  Freefaller  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.3.2    8 months ago

Lol not a hater I love the little furballs and have had cats most of my life.  But I also realize my role in their lives, I'm also a portable heater, bed, toy, provider of boxes and paper bags and something to be attacked occasionally.

The Magic Eight Ball
1.3.4  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3    8 months ago
They are the owners and I am just the lowly tenant!

my cats refer to me as the butler :)

XDm9mm
1.3.5  XDm9mm  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @1.3.4    8 months ago
my cats refer to me as the butler

Damn.   They must think highly of you!!

The last cat we had was called the Demon Cat by everyone else in the family.  He had no problem with biting or scratching anyone, well except me.  To him, everyone else was simply prey or a target, a food source so to speak.

He learned early on that biting me was a quick way to learn how to fly like a bird.  After that first and only attempt at biting me, he was my best buddy!  He actually tried to act like my guardian and hiss at others coming too close, people and especially our dogs.

The Magic Eight Ball
1.3.6  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  XDm9mm @1.3.5    8 months ago

LOL that is funny.

we call that playing "cat ball"   round here :)

The Magic Eight Ball
1.3.7  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  XDm9mm @1.3.5    8 months ago

while in mid flight he realized you were the alpha and he respects that.

everyone else is fair game... LOL

XDm9mm
1.3.8  XDm9mm  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @1.3.7    8 months ago
while in mid flight he realized you were the alpha and he respects that.

I have to admit, I miss that nasty old beast.

He never sat in my lap, but curled up as tight as he could right next to me.

He was rescued from being buried alive on a home building site with the rest of the kittens by our neighbors Lab.   Son's B-day and mom puts him on the phone....  "I promise I'll take care of him..."   Yeah, that lasted all of about 2 days!  19 years later cancer got him.  Now his ashes are spread on the son's property.

gooseisgone
1.4  gooseisgone  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    8 months ago

A have a 148lb puppy named Thor although I refer to him as "Meat Head" a regular basis, I am sure PETA would want me arrested.

2  Ender    8 months ago

I guess they need to change their name...

2.1  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @2    8 months ago

Good point!

2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @2    8 months ago

Was just going to say that.

Just Jim NC TttH
3  Just Jim NC TttH    8 months ago

P eople

E ating

T asty

A nimals

Oh wait................never mind.

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 months ago

There is a town in upstate NY called Fishkill, and Peta said they wanted the name changed since it encouraged killing fish.

Idiots.

It comes from the Dutch word (remember the Dutch owned NY first), a kill is a small stream. So the town means fish stream.

Needles to say, the town still has the name.

4.1  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    8 months ago

With all the things going on in the world I would think the organization has a lot more to worry about or take action against...yet they come out against stupid mundane things.

It's like they are all sitting around getting stoned and think they are coming up with these great ideas.

4.1.1  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @4.1    8 months ago

I get stoned and come up with great ideas...but then I sober up

4.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    8 months ago

Hey I get these great ideas and I don't even have to be stoned, LOL!

It Is ME
5  It Is ME    8 months ago

Will PETA follow the NhRP and go for getting "Human Rights" for ALL Animals too ? jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
6  Tacos!    8 months ago

OK, well first: My pets haven't been to school to learn enough English that they understand what the word "pet" means, so I'm pretty sure they don't care. In fact, I just asked the Basset Hound what she thought and she just kind of stared at me. I think that says all we need to hear.

Second: Factually, I am the patron of those animals, so I think I get to be patronizing in my speech. Again, no objection from the hound.

God, the high levels of stoopid at PETA just boggle the mind.

Well, I'm trying to increase protein in my diet and reduce refined carbs, so I will continue to bring home bacon instead of bagels.

Just Jim NC TttH
6.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tacos! @6    8 months ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

6.2  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @6    8 months ago

Do you have only dogs or do you serve any cats?

Raven Wing
6.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2    8 months ago
or do you serve any cats?

Great proper term (serve) when referring to cats. jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
6.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2    8 months ago

I am, in fact, owned by a tuxedo cat. I'm not sure how she refers to me.

6.2.3  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @6.2.2    8 months ago

You're lucky. I hear tuxies have great personalities.

sandy-2021492
6.2.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.3    8 months ago

Mine does, apart from the combing my hair with his claws thing.  He's very affectionate and is even more patient with the dog than the dog deserves.

Ed-NavDoc
6.2.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.2.4    8 months ago

I have two sibling  males, both totally jet black that are arrogant as can be but are very affectionate when they want fed or let outside. I am actually quite attached to the parasitic little heathens, but I can't tell them that!

MrFrost
6.2.6  MrFrost  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2    8 months ago
do you serve any cats?

MUVA
7  MUVA    8 months ago

One of my wifes best friends was the personal assistant to Ingrid Newkirk the women hates people.

Drakkonis
8  Drakkonis    8 months ago

Honestly, I don't really like the word "pet", to tell the truth. Not that I'm against it in the sense PETA is. I tend to think those folks aren't too connected to reality, but I haven't met anyone who admitted belonging to that group so maybe I'm being unfair. Anyway, I don't like pet because it's too impersonal. I have a dog and I never refer to it as a pet. If I refer to it in the third person I say dog. I say dog because, for me, the word has a rich association of emotions and experience that "pet" just doesn't have for me. And I do think of her, my dog, as a companion. She weighs less than ten pounds, probably, and she's resting in my lap as I write this. Pet just sort of sounds like an accessory to me.

She's not a person in the sense we are and I don't think she has the rights we do, but I certainly feel I have obligations to her. While she is not my equal in any way, (well, maybe she exceeds me in unconditional acceptance) that doesn't mean I get to ignore her needs. It is a serious matter that the word "pet" just doesn't engender in me the same level of commitment that "dog" does.

Anyway, It's nice to have a subject that isn't about politics and even nicer to hear how much all of you seem to enjoy your cats, dogs or cats and dogs. Not birds, though. Sorry. Don't understand how anyone gets into birds.

sandy-2021492
8.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Drakkonis @8    8 months ago
Not birds, though. Sorry. Don't understand how anyone gets into birds.

My ex's stepmother used to keep birds (and dogs, and more birds, and more dogs).  The bird she had when we visited was every bit as excited to see her when she got home from work as the dogs were.  He was affectionate with her, and they seemed to have a bit of a private joke routine they did.  I don't think I'd own a bird, but I can see the appeal.  They're smarter than they're often given credit for.

katrix
8.2  katrix  replied to  Drakkonis @8    8 months ago

That's exactly how my dad used to describe his views about animal rights.

8.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Drakkonis @8    8 months ago

When I was stationed in San Antonio, I lived off post.  One of my neighbors trained birds for a living.  The one cockatoo loved to sit on the pool volleyball net and watch us play.  One day a player hit the hard net and the bird fell off.  He managed to get out of the pool and begin to walk back to the apartment.  He stopped, turned around, and in his loudest bird voice shouted "Assholes!"

sandy-2021492
8.3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.3    8 months ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Drakkonis
8.3.2  Drakkonis  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.3    8 months ago

LOL! Now that's funny

8.3.3  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.3    8 months ago

I wonder where he learned that kind of language?

8.3.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.3.3    8 months ago

His trainer used to let him watch cable TV.

8.3.5  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.3.4    8 months ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

MrFrost
9  MrFrost    8 months ago
PETA Faces Backlash After Calling The Word “Pet” A Derogatory Term

Yea, that's some next level nuttery right there. I get that they are very pro....well, pet....But damn, I am pretty sure that my cats don't mind me referring to them as pets, since I am sure that's how they refer to me amongst their friends. Add to that I am pretty sure my cats are racists, every time I step out of the shower the twins are sitting there looking at me, "OMG!!!! Why does it have hair in only one spot on its body??!!!!!! Must have some weird disease!!". I love the twins and they love me back, but I am pretty sure if I was the size of a mouse our relationship would change. Kit-Kat, the head of the house, (among the 4 cats), is doing ok. Picked him up a couple months ago and noticed he had lost some weight. He was usually around 22-23 pounds. I ran him down to the vet and after a few tests found out he is diabetic, so now he gets two shots a day, insulin.

So the vet tells me he is diabetic and I will need to go to the pharmacy to get his insulin. She phones it in and I head over to the pharmacy..the insulin was $300.00, since KitKat doesn't get insurance through his job. Anyway.. I get home with his insulin, syringes and a test kit... I am looking at the insulin and it hit me...his insulin is the EXACT SAME THING as mine. Literally no difference at all. The vet told me it was different. I only use about half a vial of insulin in a month, (low dose). So...KitKat now gets my insulin. He gets one unit twice a day, I get 16 units once a day. Oh yea, my insulin costs me $24.00 for a 3 month supply through the VA. Prescription drug prices...and I will stop there.

All in all, the weight loss for KitKat means he is much more active, he moves better and seems healthier. The kittens will be a year old in April and they are now full grown..I hope.

Amy is fine. I think, she hides most of the day, just the way she is.

sandy-2021492
9.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  MrFrost @9    8 months ago
I am sure that's how they refer to me amongst their friends.

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Drakkonis
9.2  Drakkonis  replied to  MrFrost @9    8 months ago

Cats are okay, I guess, but they sort of freak me out. Just what the hell are they staring at with such intensity all the time?? It's like they can see into the spirit realm or something. Stuff going on that only cats can see. You and the cat are just sitting there and, suddenly, the cat whips it's head around and stares intently at... nothing! Makes me want to call Ghost Busters.

sandy-2021492
9.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Drakkonis @9.2    8 months ago
It's like they can see into the spirit realm or something.

Maybe the Egyptians were right.

9.2.2  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Drakkonis @9.2    8 months ago

Don't try to figure out the furry little beasts. My cats are constantly busting my balls about something. It's probably a good thing I don't speak Feline

charger 383
9.3  charger 383  replied to  MrFrost @9    8 months ago

I had a Doberman that I gave insulin shots to.  Vet got me an RX for same insulin that people get.

MrFrost
9.3.1  MrFrost  replied to  charger 383 @9.3    8 months ago

Yep, I am thinking my cats vet was trying to grease the palm of the local pharmacist, or, she just had no idea what kind of insulin humans use. Either way, kinda pissed me off. At the end of the day, my cat uses so little insulin, (it's almost literally 1 drop), he can use mine and neither of us will ever run out.

sandy-2021492
10  sandy-2021492    8 months ago

Just back from a muddy walk with my mutt, which means he needed a bath.  And now he's sulking as he dries out.

MrFrost
10.1  MrFrost  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10    8 months ago

I wash my cats once a year, in the Spring. I love the cats self cleaning ability. If they had opposable thumbs...they would be perfect.

By the by...My dentist said no...(long story).

sandy-2021492
10.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  MrFrost @10.1    8 months ago

I wash mine whenever he gets dusty from rolling around in the driveway, which is way more often than he'd like.  Sometimes, a cloud of dust will rise from his fur when I pet him.  So much for cats being fastidious.

If cats had opposable thumbs, they'd take over the world.

10.1.2  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.1    8 months ago

Speaking of washing dogs....

Buster used to like to roll around in dead things and play in mud. One day the little turd come running through the cat door hell bent for election and he was covered in mud. I had just mopped the floor. Well I blistered his ears with a 5 minute tirade and made him go back outside. After I was done with my chores I was going to go outside, grab him, and give him a bath.

Well, he decided to poke his nose in through the cat door to see if I was still mad. I pointed at him and shouted "Git!" He got and then he got a bath about a half hour later.

katrix
10.1.3  katrix  replied to  MrFrost @10.1    8 months ago
If they had opposable thumbs...they would be perfect.

No, if they had opposable thumbs, they would let themselves outside and not close the door. They would lift the toilet lid, drink the water, and get water all over the toilet seat. They would open every can in your kitchen and eat it all, and then throw up.

You do NOT want your cats to have opposable thumbs.

10.1.4  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @10.1.3    8 months ago

And hijack your password and order all kinds of shit from Amazon like cat towers, toys, treats, catnip....

katrix
10.1.5  katrix  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.1.4    8 months ago

Oh, I hadn't even thought of that.

Plus, they'd probably get me fixed as payback.

10.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  katrix @10.1.3    8 months ago

Sure they could do it themselves if they had disposable thumbs, but would prefer to have us do it for them.  No use in firing the help.

10.1.7  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.1.4    8 months ago

They would also email the pound and have the dog taken away while you are at work.

10.1.8  seeder  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @10.1.7    8 months ago

No doubt

10.1.9  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MrFrost @10.1    8 months ago

How To Wash A Cat

1.  Open the lid of the toilet.

2.  Put the cat in.

3.  Flush vigorously.

4.  Open the lid.

5.  RUN!

Signed:

The dog.

12  Paula Bartholomew    8 months ago

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals.

Eat The Press Do Not Read It