Pelosi delays her coronavirus bill, says will try to pass Senate's without most members present

Via:  Vic Eldred  •  2 months ago  •  33 comments

By:   By Nicholas Ballasy

House speaker: 'Put aside some of our concerns for another day, and get this done'

Leave a comment to auto-join group We the People

We the People

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Tuesday that she will attempt to pass the Senate's coronavirus economic stimulus package – putting aside the alternative, projected $2.5 trillion measure that she proposed.

The California Democrat said she'll try to pass the Senate's projected $1.8 trillion measure by unanimous consent, meaning House members can say yes without having to come to Capitol Hill to vote.

"The easiest way to do it is for us to put aside some of our concerns for another day, and get this done," Pelosi told  CNBC . "If it has poison pills in it, and they know certain things are poison pills, then they don't want unanimous consent – they just want an ideological statement."

The stimulus package in the GOP-controlled Senate has failed two procedural votes over objections from chamber Democrats. Vice President Pence said Tuesday afternoon during a Fox News town hall that the Senate is close to passing its measure.

Pelosi and House Democrats unveiled their own  1,400-page stimulus plan  on Monday evening.

House Rules Committee Chairman Jim McGovern (D-Mass.) released a  report  cautioning members against voting remotely at this time but he recommended "unanimous consent and voice votes" as alternatives during the coronavirus pandemic.

"It may be prudent to consider the feasibility of remote voting for certain emergency situations, but that decision should be a multi-committee effort with substantial study and development. This change cannot be implemented overnight, and likely cannot be accomplished in time to address the current crisis," McGovern said in the report.

"Without complete consensus, which we do not currently have, it would also require us to come back to Washington to vote to change House rules to allow for remote voting. However, there are several other routes the House may take in order to pass legislation addressing COVID-19," he also wrote.

McGovern warned that there are security concerns with remote voting.

"Although off-the-shelf products exist to allow a Member to videoconference their vote, for example, they have not been tested under the sort of pressure they would face from enemy states or other bad actors trying to force the system offline or prevent individual Members from accessing it," he wrote. "Such a system has to be extensively tested, not used for the first time on must-pass legislation."

McGovern suggested unanimous consent instead since it "does not require a quorum" or a voice vote "where the House presumes a quorum is present unless a point of order is made," which would prevent the House from having to travel to Washington to cast a vote in-person.

"Members could submit a statement for the Congressional Record stating how they would have voted had there been a recorded vote. Congress could even vote on a symbolic resolution supporting the legislation after the crisis passes and Members return to Washington," he wrote.

Another option in McGovern's report is recorded votes.

"The House could pass legislation by a recorded vote but limit Member and staff exposure by holding votes open longer than normal and having Members vote in shifts, sanitizing voting stations between uses, and controlling how many people are in the chamber and their proximity to each other," he wrote in the report.

Article is Locked

1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 months ago

Sanity prevails!  Though I think I'll miss the idea of $1,500 going to retired people!

Rules of civility apply

Trump is off topic

Greg Jones
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago

I want to know what Democrats vote against the bill.

And as a retired person, I'll take $1500 any day.

1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    2 months ago
I'll take $1500 any day.

It comes in handy!

user image
1.2    replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago
Though I think I'll miss the idea of $1,500 going to retired people!

The way I understand it is those on Social Security will receive just $ 600 instead of the full $ 1200 most people will get, is that correct?

JohnRussell
1.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  @1.2    2 months ago

Those receiving 600 instead of 1500 can thank the Republicans.

The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"
1.2.2  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    2 months ago

The filth bag pelosi had the bill stuffed with horrible things like:

the Democrats' coronavirus emergency spending bill includes $35 million earmarked for the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Why should the Kennedy Center receive this money, instead of all the other theaters across America? Why does theater feature in the coronavirus bill?

She's being slayed on social media even by the woke lil d'bags that use to sniff her filth.

MUVA
1.2.3  MUVA  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    2 months ago

unless you have been working you shouldn’t get a penny people that  are ready reviving SS or already on public assistance should get zero.This is turning into a boondoggle.

The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"
1.2.4  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"  replied to  MUVA @1.2.3    2 months ago

The idea was to help working families, not angry ole financially secure grumps who complain about everything and contribute little these days.

MUVA
1.2.5  MUVA  replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @1.2.4    2 months ago

I have told my guys to stay home and have paid them and will continue pay them. I will not receive a penny nor do I want  it.Im actually feeling better myself and have been back at work since last Thursday.I can’t stay home I get stir crazy if I don’t fix something.

The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"
1.2.6  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"  replied to  MUVA @1.2.5    2 months ago

I have been deemed essential commerce so I am at work.

1.2.7  Kavika   replied to  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen" @1.2.4    2 months ago

Many of Americas that are retired live on a very meager income. Many of those that have savings and it's in the market have seen their savings/income crushed in this downturn.

Because of the very low-interest rates, many seniors are in the market to try to get a bit more income for living expenses.

Some act as caregivers to others. They are not all ole financially secure grumps who complain about everything and contribute little these days. Most have contributed their whole lives in the form of taxes paid and in caring for their families and fellow Americans and in serving America through volunteering.

Seems that some are blind to what their fellow citizens have contributed and are still contributing to America.

I guess that the ignorance of youth extends to an older age group than I realized.

MUVA
1.2.8  MUVA  replied to  Kavika @1.2.7    2 months ago

63% of people retire on SS only with very little to no saving.

1.2.9  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  @1.2    2 months ago

I'm surprised they are getting anything. I receive Social Security. I didn't lose a job because of the virus. Why would I get $600?  I'll take it. It's like finding $600 in the gutter!

1.2.10  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  MUVA @1.2.8    2 months ago
63% of people retire on SS only with very little to no saving.

That is so sad, but for those, who for whatever reasons found themselves in that position in their twilight years it is a lifeline. Without a doubt, that is why SS is the most popular social program in the world.

MUVA
1.2.11  MUVA  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.10    2 months ago

I feel sorry for people that end up in this scenario my parents grew up at the end of the depression and live way below there means.My father was a WO before going to be become a LTJG and spent 35 years in the military retiring as a LT commander  not bad for a black man from rural Arkansas.My in laws have been self employed their whole lives.Both my wife's and my parents taught us to save.

1.2.12  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  MUVA @1.2.11    2 months ago
I feel sorry for people that end up in this scenario

There are much worse cases. One time I took a cab to the airport. The cab driver told me he worked under the table all his life. I think you know what that means.

It's always best to learn these things as a child. You can be proud of them all.

2  Paula Bartholomew    2 months ago

The ones not able to be there will most likely vote via skype or other means from home.

2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    2 months ago

I'm not sure on the rules. Weren't the Senators quarantined the other day unable to vote?

Split Personality
2.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    2 months ago

Because the rules have always stated that the vote must be in person.

Hence McCain and others have appeared near death to cast important votes.

I cannot remember who it was that showed up in a wheel chair a few years ago to get a GOP Bill passed.  Then of course there was John McCain's thumbs down moment.

user image
2.1.2    replied to  Split Personality @2.1.1    2 months ago

It wasn't a GOP Bill, the guy wheeled in to vote was Robert C. Byrd.

In assembling their 60-vote super-majority needed to proceed with healthcare reform, Democrats in the Senate had to secure the presence of Sen. Robert C. Byrd (D-W.V.), who was wheeled into the chamber to cast his vote

Split Personality
2.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  @2.1.2    2 months ago

Didn't they do the same for Ted Kennedy?

I thought there was one where a Senator with a cane showed up to cast the tying vote which "forced" Pence to break yet another tie.

But my point stands.  All Senate votes have to be in person,

until they change the rules.

Tacos!
3  Tacos!    2 months ago
put aside some of our concerns for another day

Wow, ya think?

3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tacos! @3    2 months ago

I think they got the message - Americans may not have liked what they did. Maybe there was some polling she saw.

Split Personality
3.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    2 months ago

Schumer, the President's new best friend, is getting the necessary compromises in the Senate, as he said he would,

and as McConnell acknowledged would happen.

3.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.1    2 months ago

Maybe you can tell us about them?

Greg Jones
3.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Tacos! @3    2 months ago

Wow, ya think?

I think a lot of Democrats were starting to get visions of losing their seats in both Houses if they fooled around with this much longer.

3.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2    2 months ago

It really was a hard sell!

A Post Office Bailout
$300M for public broadcasting
Money for Universities
New tax credits for wind and solar
Federal takeover of elections

To mention a few

4  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 months ago

"We now have the “Blackmail Americans” Democratic Congress for President Trump to run against in the fall. The American people-frightened by an unknown virus, worried about their jobs, paychecks and savings, concerned for their children and their country must be appalled by Pelosi"...Newt Gingrich

The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"
5  The People's Fish, Still "Hand Of The Queen"    2 months ago

It's nice to see pandemocrats working for America.

Colour Me Free
6  Colour Me Free    2 months ago
"Without complete consensus, which we do not currently have, it would also require us to come back to Washington to vote to change House rules to allow for remote voting. However, there are several other routes the House may take in order to pass legislation addressing COVID-19," he also wrote.

So it takes an act of Congress in order to act on the 'right thing to do' in Congress ..?   Glad there is a light at the end of the tunnel - hopefully this gives the US economy a boost and allow families to relax a lil as they stay home for their protection and the protection of others......

Perhaps 'we fellow Americans' can conquer the nations divide in ideology .. by coming together during a forced separation .. see that our differences are what makes us who we are .. acceptance and compromise, 2 words that are illusive in the world these days

Split Personality
6.1  Split Personality  replied to  Colour Me Free @6    2 months ago

Makes it more and more obvious that the stock market runs purely on confidence and hope.

Colour Me Free
6.1.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  Split Personality @6.1    2 months ago
stock market runs purely on confidence and hope.

Yes and no ….. I spend my days with my nose buried in the market

Everyone touts the wonders of a world economy .. then shit like this happens, lack of knowledge/fear of the unknown [dependence on China].. whatever you want to call it .. and TA DA the world gets whipped into a frenzy.  … before anyone has the truth in hand [which many still do not because they are waiting around to be 'told' what to do] panic sets in and the sell off begins .. confidence may be is what keeps the market stable .. but ignorance and fear mongering is what crashes it...!!

Had the government bailed out Lehman Brothers .. would the crash in 2007 - 08 have actually happened?  An economic set back yes .. global melt down - I do not think so …

6.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @6.1    2 months ago

And cheap money! Let the Fed raise interest rates and the Market falls.

Telo