╌>

America Loves Rich As--oles

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  9 years ago  •  11 comments

America Loves Rich As--oles

America Loves Rich Assholes

By Bill Maher

The new Steve Jobs movie, cleverly titled “Steve Jobs,” broke box office records in its limited release, which is only surprising if you think movies should be interesting. I haven’t seen it, just like I haven’t seen the two previous movies about Steve Jobs, because what the hell do I want to watch a movie about a marketer for? A Mac has the same hard drive and RAM and keyboard as any other computer, it just looks a little cooler and the advertising is hipper. You might as well make a movie about the Geico insurance CEO. But then I started reading the reviews, and they all mention what a huge asshole Jobs was, and now I understand. Because for some reason, America loves rich assholes. Charles Foster Kane, Jay Gatsby, everyone on “Dallas,” Tony Stark, Donald Trump… I guess it’s because, despite the delusion Americans have that we’re a generous and kind nation, secretly we all wish we were billionaires so we could tell the world to kiss our ass. 

http://www.real-time-with-bill-maher-blog.com/index/2015/10/20/america-loves-rich-assholes

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    9 years ago

But then I started reading the reviews, and they all mention what a huge asshole Jobs was, and now I understand. Because for some reason, America loves rich assholes. 

thoughts ?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    9 years ago

I find only conservatives love successful business people liberals being failures at business themselves hate successful business people. They do however love rich entertainers like Oprah and the Kardashians. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty   9 years ago

The question was "why do Americans love rich assholes ?"

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty   9 years ago

Dean, Warren Buffett is a failure at business and Bill Gates is a business failure?

Interesting concept that you have. All liberals are business failures. Seems that your wrong on that count.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Kavika   9 years ago

Don't forget Bill Maher - another unsuccessful liberal failure!  (/s)

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    9 years ago

Americans are brainwashed from cradle to grave to believe that wealth is good, that "stuff" is good, that getting rich is good, that greed is good, that money is the Holy Grail .

How is it surprising that Americans worship billionaires?

patience

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    9 years ago

If I understand Maher's point , and I think I do, it is that Americans normally do not love assholes. But if the assholes are rich, we love them.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

It's all BS. Didn't you love Obama even before he was rich?