╌>

Clinton Goes after Laugh Factory Comedians for Making Fun of Her

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sean-treacy  •  9 years ago  •  17 comments

Clinton Goes after Laugh Factory Comedians for Making Fun of Her

In what appears to be a first for a serious presidential contender, Hillary Clinton’s campaign is going after five comedians who made fun of the former Secretary of State in standup skits at a popular Hollywood comedy club.

video  of the short performance, which is less than three minutes, is posted on the website of the renowned club, Laugh Factory, and the Clinton campaign has tried to censor it. Besides demanding that the video be taken down, the Clinton campaign has demanded the personal contact information of the performers that appear in the recording. This is no laughing matter for club owner Jamie Masada, a comedy guru who opened Laugh Factory more than three decades ago and has been instrumental in launching the careers of many famous comics. “They threatened me,” Masada told Judicial Watch. “I have received complains before but never a call like this, threatening to put me out of business if I don’t cut the video.”

Practically all of the country’s most acclaimed comedians have performed at the Laugh Factory and undoubtedly they have offended politicians and other well-known personalities with their standup routines. Tim Allen, Jay Leno, Roseanne Bar, Drew Carey, George Carlin, Jim Carrey, Martin Lawrence, Jerry Seinfeld and George Lopez are among the big names that have headlined at the Laugh Factory. The First Amendment right to free speech is a crucial component of the operation, though Masada drew the line a few years ago banning performers—including African Americans—from using the “n-word” in their acts.

The five short performances that Clinton wants eliminated include some profanity and portions could be considered crass, but some of the lines are funny and that’s what the Laugh Factory is all about. The video features the individual acts of five comedians, four men and a woman. The skits make fun of Clinton’s wardrobe, her age, sexual orientation, the Monica Lewinsky scandal and the former First Lady’s relationship with her famous husband. The Laugh Factory has appropriately titled it  “Hillary vs. The First Amendment.”

Masada told Judicial Watch that, as soon as the video got posted on the Laugh Factory website, he received a phone call from a “prominent” person inside Clinton’s campaign. “He said the video was disgusting and asked who put me up to this,” Masada said. The Clinton staffer, who Masada did not want to identify, also demanded to know the names and phone numbers of the comedians that appear in the video. Masada refused and hung up. He insists that the comedy stage is a sanctuary for freedom of speech no matter who is offended. “Just last night we had (Emmy-award winner) Dana Carvey doing Donald Trump and it was hilarious,” Masada said.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2015/11/clinton-goes-after-laugh-factory-comedians-for-making-fun-of-her/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6    9 years ago

No surprise here. She is part of the BO administration that has incarcerated more whistle blowers than all others combined.  Gotta love that "transparency" eh?  The fact of the matter is that democrats don't give a crap about free speech and think they can suppress it whenever they want in the name of political correctness.  I am sure the comedians will get a call from the IRS this year.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  96WS6   9 years ago

Just another routine  use of the government to extort private individuals. Stop mocking me or the DOJ will destroy you.   

Cletus Wilbury
Freshman Silent
link   Cletus Wilbury    9 years ago

Funny

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    9 years ago

The left has no respect for any of our inalienable human rights. The media should be busy exposing this staffer and demanding he be fired, if not criminally charged. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    9 years ago

I couldn't get the link to open so here's the youtube link. It's crass, profane, and mocks her for being a lesbian. What's not to like?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  1ofmany   9 years ago

Thank you. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  1ofmany   9 years ago

Ha!

Ok, that was funny.

:~)

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  1ofmany   9 years ago

It was sort of funny. Not South Park funny, but if you've had a few drinks it might make you chuckle. Other then that, meh.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    9 years ago

"some of the lines are funny "

What a ringing endorsement from someone who is defending the video, lol.  We can then presume that some of the lines suck. 

Mostly though, who cares? Clinton is in no position to censor the Laugh Factory website. This is all much ado about nothing from Judicial Watch, a group of right wing cranks. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

Yeah here's a recent article which proves something or other about Judicial Watch :

FBI Has Nearly 1,000 Active ISIS Probes Inside U.S.

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    9 years ago

A politician being made fun of by a comedian? Wow, never heard of that before. She must be the first one ro whom ths has happened.  

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    9 years ago

What's so funny about the next President of the United States being an old post menopausal ho and a lesbian?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    9 years ago

Funny is funny and a candidate just makes themselves look bad IF she really did have someone ask that it be stopped. I'm sort of suspicious of the claims (maybe The Laugh Factory needed the free advertising) because South Park was much, much, much worse to her in 2008 and it didn't get any anger from her then. She didn't ask that it be censored or changed in any manner. I seriously doubt it bothers her at all.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  Randy   9 years ago

Funny is funny and a candidate just makes themselves look bad IF she really did have someone ask that it be stopped. I'm sort of suspicious of the claims (maybe The Laugh Factory needed the free advertising) because South Park was much, much, much worse to her in 2008 and it didn't get an anger from her then. I seriously doubt it bothers her at all.

It might be a stunt. I bet I could call up, falsely identify myself as somebody from the Clinton campaign, and make the same threat to make the video go viral.