╌>

Flesh-Eating Bug On The Rise In Syria Caused By ISIS Dumping Bodies In The Street

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  screminmimi  •  9 years ago  •  6 comments

Flesh-Eating Bug On The Rise In Syria Caused By ISIS Dumping Bodies In The Street

WAR-ravaged Syria has a new enemy – a deadly flesh-eating bug caused by ISIS dumping bodies in the street.

The bug, known as Leishmaniasis, is caused by protozoan parasites.

It is usually carried by flies but experts warn that increase in rotting flesh in the street has triggered a dramatic rise.

Records suggest that 16 months ago around 500 people were affected by the disease, but that is now believed to have soared.

Dilqash Isa, head of the Kurdish Red Crescent humanitarian organisation , said: ‘As a result of abominable acts by ISIS that included the killing of innocent people and dumping their corpses in streets, this is the leading factor behind the rapid spread of Leishmanisis disease.’

The World Health Organization has warned that Syria’s health system has collapsed under five years of war, the Metro reports.

‘We did not have knowledge about this deadly disease before,’ a Syrian Kurdish fighter told news agencies. ‘We have been fighting on the battlefield for almost four years and this disease basically generated from embattled areas of Tal Hamis, Hon and Qosa,’

Britain launched air strikes against Islamic State in Syria on Thursday morning after David Cameron won backing from MPs.

British Tornado jets took off from the Royal Air Force base at Akrotiri in Cyprus before dawn, within hours of the result being announced.

The British contribution forms only a tiny part of US-led Operation Inherent Resolve, which has been bombing Islamic State in Iraq and Syria for more than a year.

The vote for British forces to extend their air strikes in Iraq into Syria was won by a majority of 174.

http://charleswalford.tumblr.com/post/134518906404/flesh-eating-bug-on-the-rise-in-syria-caused-by

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  screminmimi    9 years ago

This parasite should be the next medical/scientific research project that countries collaborate on, in the way they have done with an Ebola vaccine.

Over the last two years there have been stories in the media about people even here in the US contracting this disease from seemingly out of nowhere. One man was scratched on the leg when working in his yard to remove a tree stump and when normal remedies failed to stop infection, was informed by his doctor it was this flesh-eating disease.

If it is indeed caused by flies feasting on dead bodies, the entire areas infested with ISIS and their tendency to leave corpses lying and hanging about will become a problem needing a world solution.

I'm surprised we haven't encountered the same thing via Mexico; probably the only thing keeping it down there is that the cartels bury bodies in mass graves and the locals are allowed to bury the bodies of the dead.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  screminmimi   9 years ago

Mimi,

There are multiple disease that cause "flesh eating".. some parasitic and others bacterial. The reason it might of not happened in Mexico, is that it might not be a good hosting area for these pests. 

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  screminmimi  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   9 years ago

Thank you for the information, Perrie.

This disease is frightening. It also bothers me whenever I hear that a hospital has an outbreak of staff infection. There are patients in poor health who have died from staff because their immune system can't fight it off.

Reading 1ofmany's comment, I never realized so many people were affected by the flesh eating disease; I had thought it rather rare.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    9 years ago

This seems to be a disease spread by sand flies rather than human to human contact. It infects 2 million people a year in Asia, Africa, southern Europe and Central America (I assume because the climates are conducive for sand flies). According to Wikipedia, the disease can be controlled so maybe it's not a big problem for us (or do you think otherwise?). Something like this could cause even more people to flee to Europe and exacerbate the existing humanitarian crisis . . . if the innocent would not suffer with the bad, I'd let the flies do away with the poop mound that calls itself ISIL. Anyway, I was unaware of the disease spreading in Syria so thanks for posting it.

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  screminmimi  replied to  1ofmany   9 years ago

There have been several cases of it in the US over the last couple of years. It's truly heartbreaking to see, especially on the face of someone such as this child.

One woman in the US who has it kept having to have her limbs amputated. She was 28 years old.

Anita Blackman
Freshman Silent
link   Anita Blackman    9 years ago

I had a one night stand a few years ago and woke up to a burning sensation that looked similar to that. Fortunately penicillin took care of it.