╌>

Minnesota father helps deliver baby in car in subzero temperatures

Category:  Scattershooting,Ramblings & Life

Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  10 comments

Minnesota father helps deliver baby in car in subzero temperatures

A woman in rural Minnesota gave birth on the side of the road while trying to reach the hospital. To make things worse, the temperature was minus-28 degrees Fahrenheit.

Rogue Maxa earned her name simply by being born.

Her father Ben said “Any time that I envision her, like, not following directions or being in trouble, I can just hold it over her head for the rest of her life, I think.”

With a due date next Saturday, Ben and Dexi Maxa were not expecting they’d be heading to the hospital Saturday morning.

The nearest hospital to the Maxas’ home is 40 miles away, so the two hopped in their mini-van and started off on their trip.

But four miles out of town, Dexi was ready to give birth, so Ben pulled over to the side of the highway, opened the sliding door, and delivered their daughter himself.

“I was on the phone with 911, holding my phone on my shoulder, and trying to deliver a child with one hand.”

Literally, because Ben was only born with one hand, but he says that didn’t impede the delivery. “I don’t know what it’s like having two. I ask people, like, ‘How do you operate both of those?'”

And after only a minute, the Maxas had a six-pound, 10-ounce addition to the family.

The shock of what just happened was so much that it took the couple a few moments to realize how cold it was.

“We both were in shock for about 15, 20 seconds, and it was 28 below zero, and I was standing on the highway holding a freshly newborn child.”

Ben wrapped baby Rogue in a blanket and an ambulance arrived only a few minutes later.

~link (great video) ~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton    8 years ago

“We both were in shock for about 15, 20 seconds, and it was 28 below zero, and I was standing on the highway holding a freshly newborn child.”

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

Now that's a tough couple, and baby as well.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Many may be able to tell ya what time of day it was, or what cultural events were happening at the very minute of their birth. A Minnesotan can tell ya what the temperature and wind speed was at the time of their birth.

;^)

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    8 years ago

What an awesome story.  I smiled the whole time reading the story and again watching the video.  Life comes atcha whether you're ready for it or not.  lol

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

Nice Minnesotan accent PJ. Now all that is needed is to check your ice fishin' and hotdish makin' skills..

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

One of my neighbors is from Minnesota.  A couple weeks ago after the big snow storm we were both out shoveling and I called over and said "Makes ya feel like your back home, huh" and she laughed and said "Yah sure, but I don't miss shoveling dontcha know".  hehehehe

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton    8 years ago

Oh btw, the video in the link is a great example of a TRUE MINNESOTA ACCENT!

:~)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Hey Lar,

What is yours, fake? LOL! 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Yes, mixed with a little Hoosier left over from my youth!

:~)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

Kudos to the man who had sense enough to do it!  Hope mother and baby are well!  That little squirt, (the baby), has a really good story to tell the rest of his life, and I hope it is a long, happy one!