Category:  Scattershooting,Ramblings & Life

Via:  robert-in-ohio  •  8 years ago  •  39 comments

The Most Popular Stores in America

5. Walgreens (NASDAQ: WBA)
> Pct. of consumers visiting in April:
30.3%
> Number of U.S. stores: 8,309
> Store category: Drug stores

Just over 30% of all American consumers Walgreens drug store in a given month. Only 23.4% of American consumers visited CVS, the second most popular drug store. Despite its wider customer base, Walgreens reported $76.4 billion in net sales in its fiscal 2014, considerably less than the $139.4 billion CVS reported in its fiscal 2014. This likely means CVS customers are spending more than Walgreens customers. CVS relies more on costly drug sales at its pharmacies than Walgreens.

Walgreens has been closing stores in recent years. The company’s store count dropped by 273 locations between fiscal 2013 and fiscal 2014. The drugstore chain’s advertising budget, on the other hand, increased. The company spent $266.8 million on advertising in 2014, up from $239.4 million in 2013.

4. Starbucks (NASDAQ: SBUX)
31.2%
> Number of U.S. stores: 7,559
> Store category: Specialty eateries

The first Starbucks opened in Seattle in 1971, deriving its name from a character in Herman Melville’s novel “Moby Dick.” Since then, the chain has expanded rapidly, becoming the most popular coffee franchise in the country. In a given month, 31.2% of all Americans visit Starbucks, a larger share than all but a handful of other businesses. Like other stores offering food, the high frequency of visits to Starbucks helps increase unique foot traffic. The company also markets itself as a community gathering place, a venue for both meeting friends and conducting business. This may also further increase the frequency of visits. As of September, 2015, there were over 7,559 Starbucks locations in the United States.

3. Subway
34.0%
> Number of U.S. stores: 26,960
> Store category: Restaurants

Subway has 43,945 restaurants worldwide, and 26,960 in the United States, more than any other restaurant. The sandwich chain’s popularity rose dramatically over the past several decades. Approximately 34% of Americans visit a Subway in a given month, trailing just two other stores for foot traffic.

According to industry research firm IBISWorld, amid the growing obesity epidemic, Subway has been able to attract increasingly health-conscious customers. However, due in part to rapid growth from competitors such as Chipotle Mexican Grill, Firehouse Subs, and other build-your-own-meal fast food chains, Subway sales have floundered in recent years. The sub shop, owned by holding company Doctor’s Associates, increased its advertising budget by 3.7% from $513.6 million in 2013 to $532.6 million in 2014 — the 20th largest U.S. advertising expenditure of any company.

2. McDonald’s (NYSE: MCD)
49.8%
> Number of U.S. stores: 14,259
> Store category: Restaurants

Nearly half of American consumers visit McDonald’s in a given month, making the fast food chain the most visited restaurant in the United States and the second most popular store in the country. Nationwide sales at the burger chain have declined in recent years, falling from $27.4 billion in 2014 to $25.4 billion in 2015. While foot traffic may have declined at the same time, McDonald’s rank has not changed for several years. McDonald’s spends more on advertising than any other store on this list and more than all but three other U.S. companies. The fast food chain’s advertising budget was $935.1 million in 2014, down 4.2% from 2013, when the company spent $975.7 million.

1. Walmart (NYSE: WMT)
52.8%
> Number of U.S. stores: 4,574
> Store category: Variety stores

A majority of American consumers visit Walmart in a given month. Walmart is by far the largest retailer in the United States and the world. The retail giant reported net sales of $478.6 billion in 2015, down from $482.2 billion the year before but still a larger revenue than the GDP of most countries. While foot traffic may have declined and will fluctuate over the course of the year, Walmart’s position at the top of this list has been undisputed for many years. According to the company, nearly 260 million people visit its 11,500 worldwide stores every week. In the United States, no retailer is more popular. Walmart is the only store where more than half of American consumers visit at least once in a given month.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2016/05/11/the-most-popular-stores-in-america-2/4/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Robert in Ohio    8 years ago

Walmart is the most popular store in America. More than half of all shoppers in the country visit a Walmart location in a given month. No other U.S. store can claim a majority of Americans as customers.

24/7 Wall St . reviewed foot traffic figures at major U.S. stores provided by data service company Placed Insights . According to Placed Insights, which monitors on a monthly basis hundreds of thousands of American consumers, the most popular stores are primarily fast food, discount retail, and pharmacy chains. There is one gas station on the list, Shell.

The nation’s most-visited stores are popular for a range of reasons. One of the main reasons is likely the sheer size of some of these companies. With 14,259 McDonald’s restaurants and 13,626 Dollar Tree locations across the nation, the two stores are virtually ubiquitous. Similarly, Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, has enough stores in every state in the country to be accessible to most Americans.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

There were a few surprises on the overall list (for me) but for the most part these were the businesses that I would have listed as most popular.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

I am quite sure that many people go to Wal-Mart because they have put a lot of the competition out of business. JC Penny, Sears , K-Mart, , general 'department' stores have lost tons of business (and physical locations) to the gain of Wal-Mart.

A lot of people like to go to one store and buy a bunch of stuff instead of going to a half dozen different stores.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

A lot of people like to go to one store and buy a bunch of stuff instead of going to a half dozen different stores.

A major reason in the popularity of this type of store

The nearest town of any size (still small) to us with a population between 50K and 75K I think has a Walmart, KMart, Target, JC Penney, Sears, Sam's Club (and many others) and most if not all of the most popular businesses listed in the article.

It is a popular shopping destination for those of living in the countries because all of stores we might like to patronize are within a few miles of each other

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    8 years ago

I almost never go to Walmart. Their prices in the food section jut are not as good as at Ralphs with a loyalty card and Ralphs has a cheaper store brand that is very high quality. Besides Walmart has a very "cheap" feel to it that I don't like. And the service is awful!

My wife talks me into going to Subway to get sandwiches about once a month. Otherwise I probably wouldn't go. There is not one as convenient to me as a Jack in the Box or KFC.

I get my drugs at Rite-Aid and have for years, in a couple places in L.A. and here. Great service and nice people at everyone I've used including my current one! Can't say enough good things about their pharmacy department and they sell booze really cheap too.Happy

McDonald has gone down hill. Their Big Macs and other burgers are too salty and their fries went bad when they stopped adding beef flavoring to the oil to make the vegetarians happy. Jack in the Box has great fries.

Not a yuppie, so no starbucks.

One that's not on the list is the first thing I'd ask about (OK after asking where the nearest liquor store was) at every town I flew into on business trips (which was a lot) was there a Cracker Barrel nearby! I loved those places!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Randy   8 years ago

Randy

To each their own

Thanks for the feedback

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

Here in KY, Walmart and Walgreens have stores in all the smaller towns, and a lot of people go there because they have a greater range of products offered, and in many places this is THE place to go to spend some time.  There are Walmarts in areas that don't have a movie theater, or a bar, or a roller skating rink, or a bowling alley.  Going to Walmart is their entertainment...  You see all your friends and you can accommodate your shopping needs.  Let's face it, for most of these people, they have nothing else to do for entertainment.  And it is always entertaining at Walmart...  Walgreens also has a lot of stuff, that is nice...  I can diddle for about an a half hour in Walgreens and about 2 hours at Walmart, and never get bored.

Starbucks isn't as popular, as they cater to a more urban crowd-- out and about in the state...  I've drilled in many places, where a Walmart would be a great place to go, if they had one-- You can get something to eat, buy fresh socks, get a CD to play in the car, etc.  A lot better than being stuck in a hotel room!  Starbucks is a great place to go to get a cup of coffee and relax, but it costs a lot, for the average American bear, and most country people aren't willing to shell out $5 for a cup of coffee, when they can get coffee at home for a lot less...

I always knew that there was some sort of civilization in a town, when there was a McDonald's...  For a traveler, and drilling, it was a good place to go-- public restroom, food, a place to sit.  As far as basic survival, McDonald's has saved my life, many times...  I love Subway, too, and enjoy the thought that I'm eating a bit more healthier...  But not every place has a Subway.

I think the worse place I've ever been was Wheatland, IN, or Vanceburg, KY.  In both cases, they were 17-22 miles to a public restroom, they had a gas station, that only had pre-packaged food-- no magazines without the word True in it's title, and not very pleasant places.  I would have killed for a Walmart or a Subway/McDonald's...  winking  

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Dowser

I always appreciate your perspective regardless of the topic and you hit this one directly on target

Thanks

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Robert in Ohio   8 years ago

Thank YOU!!!  

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    8 years ago

Americans are addicted to pharmaceuticals so I'm not surprised Walgreen made the number 1 spot.  I like browsing there to see what funny products they sell ........."as seen on t.v." the belly burner, the clapper, and we can't forget the Chi Chi Chi Chia pet. 

I won't shop at Walmart.  I eat subway or McDonalds maybe once a year if that and Starbucks isn't my favorite but I will go there when I travel because I'm familiar with the product.   

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

pj

I appreciate the feedback - Walgreens was #5 and WalMart was the #1 most popular of the businesses.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Robert in Ohio   8 years ago

hehehehe

I automatically thought the #1 slot was at the top.  :o)

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    8 years ago

I do most all my shopping at WalMart.  Likely more than all other stores combined.  I'm not surprised by the top five.  I prefer Yum Brands to McDonalds.  I use local drive through Dutch Brothers rather than Starbucks if any at all.  

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  XXJefferson51   8 years ago

X!  Do not shop at Wal-Mart.  They buy their merchandise from China.  Child labor!  OMG. Please don't shop at Wal-Mart.  

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

PJ

I am sure that you are correct on the existence of exploited child labor in Chine (and other Asian countries) but be honest WalMart is not the only store that buys a large portion of their stock from overseas suppliers.

Thanks for the perspective

PJ
Masters Quiet

You're right RIO but Wal-Mart is notorious for other bad business practices such as promoting primarily men to management roles.  A short time ago I responded to another article where the topic was Wal-Mart.  They had come into a community making a lot of promises about how they would attract revenue.  It had the reverse affect on the community because it undercut small businesses putting them out of business triggering a domino affect.  You put local businesses out of business and they no longer need other services within the community like legal services, accounting services, mail services, banking services and they no longer employ local residents.  These impact all those other businesses and services.  In this particular situation the Wal-mart ended up shutting it's doors in that area leaving the community with no retail choice.  Wal-Mart is a quick fix and part of why the economy is thriving as it could be if we made the products in America.  

BUY AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!  yes, it may cost a little more but we need to stop selling out our own country.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

Wal-Mart is a quick fix and part of why the economy is thriving as it could be if we made the products in America.

CORRECTION:  why the econcomy isn't thriving

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

If you think that WalMart is the reason the economy is not thriving, you need to take a closer look at the U.S. economy and what affects it the most -- value of the dollar, inflation (or lack of), interest rates, corporate tax policy, corporate strategy etc.

PJ
Masters Quiet

I don't think Wal-mart is the only reason why the economy is not thriving.  I'm not an idiot.  I'll make sure I choose my words better next time.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

PJ

Never thought or said you were an idiot, I was merely responding to your point with a more detailed look at causes of the economic struggles.

I always enjoy and appreciate your perspective on issues

Thanks for the feedback

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

PJ

I am all for buying American made when American made is priced competitively, is readily available when I need it.  You must be aware that other stores sell foreign made goods.

I own no stock in WalMart but shop there when we go into town - we also shop at other stores mom and pop local and other chain stores - we tend to go where we get what we need for a good price.  My better half is the consummate comparison shopper, using both the sales papers and Consumer Reports.

The survey is about what stores are patronized - obviously the issues you cite are more important to some than others and the way to express one's position on issues in retail is where we spend our money.

Thanks for the perspective

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  XXJefferson51   8 years ago

X

A little of this and a little of that - the way most Americans shop in my view, i.e. where they perceive they are getting convenience and good prices and where they get products the desire.

Thanks for the feedback.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide

Only one factor really determines the most popular businesses

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    8 years ago
I don't go to any of these places, ever.  I make my own coffee, because only an idiot can't make a cup of coffee, and I can do it for about 25 cents, which is about 93% cheaper than a cup of burnt Starbucks.  Subway bread is loaded with sugar, and their meat is processed to the point of being unrecognizable - and then there's Jared.  I'm not on any meds, and if I do need a temporary script CVS is closer.  Walmart is full of the kind of people who shop at Walmart, so I'd much rather use Amazon, and get infinitely wider selection delivered to my door in two days.  As for McDonalds - fuhgetaboutit.  I've spent years putting whole food in my belly.  When I try and eat that garbage it just makes me have to shit immediately.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

Bass Pro Shops and Cabala's are my two favorite stores. Trader Joes for various food products.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised considering Cabala's connection with Bush. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty   8 years ago

Your surprised only because you can't see beyond your blinders, Dean.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Kavika

I like both of those stores as well.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

Starbucks is like a lifestyle brand.  I would just as soon have Dunkin Donuts coffee or more likely make it at home.

I go to Mc Donalds and Subway a few times a year each, mostly out of convenience at the moment.

Wal-Mart has a large convenience factor, but other stores have prices that are just as cheap or cheaper.

Walgreens is ubiquitous in Chicago, where the chain originated. There are three Walgreens within a mile of my house, in three different directions.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

There are four Walgreens on the main road by my house.  It seems like overkill, but if one of them is out of my medications, I can usually go to another one and get my full prescription.  Handy!  Plus, there are Walgreens all over the state, so if we're traveling and I need to fill one of my meds, I can go to those Walgreens and get it.  It is a bit of a hassle, but not bad...

I take 17 medications every day-- would die, quickly, without some of them, so handy is important to me!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

John

Your points are good ones and in their own way each point out that location is a key factor to retail success.

Convenient access and constancy in the view of the consumer are both important